Cities: Skylines (Steam) - Game crashing on start-up with roughly 100 mods mods and assets and 16GB of RAM

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

tommy_e03

Recruit
4 Badges
Apr 6, 2021
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
Describe your issue
Game crashing on startup with roughly 1mods mods and assets and 16GB of RAM

What is your game version?

What expansions do you have installed?
Parklife, Industries

What mods are you using?

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.

So, in the past, I played Cities Skylines a lot with no issues. However, after not playing it for a while, I have recently returned to it, and seem to be experiencing some issues with RAM usage.

I have roughly 100mods and assets installed and when loading a game, it crashes. This was also with a fairly small world, one tile, and less than 3000 population. After doing some research, people seem to be experiencing this issue with several thousand mods and assets installed, not 100.

With all mods and assets disabled, I am able to access a world, but otherwise, I am not.

I have attached the error log and output log for reference.

In my "steamapps\workshop\content\255710W" directory, which is where I understand all mods and assets are downloaded - I can there is less than 300mb of worth of data in there.

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.

Attachments
File(s) attached

Attachments

• error.log
    14,2 KB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    318,8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The log doesn't show the typical indicators of a memory related crash, but your memory usage is quite high. Have you set up a custom sized pagefile at any point? Or are you using default Windows settings?

The log doesn't show the typical indicators of a memory related crash, but your memory usage is quite high. Have you set up a custom sized pagefile at any point? Or are you using default Windows settings?
Thanks for the reply. I have not set any custom page files on my desktop, so should be all default.

Last edited:
Then I'd recommend you start there. Set up a custom pagefile of 32 GB (32000 MB since pagefiles are measured in MB) on a disk that has at least that much free space. Windows doesn't handle automatically expanding the pagefile tiny increments very well, which can cause the game to crash. A large default pagefile solves that.

Here's a guide for where to find the settings:

And in case you prefer a video guide:

co_avanya

Then I'd recommend you start there. Set up a custom pagefile of 32 GB (32000 MB since pagefiles are measured in MB) on a disk that has at least that much free space. Windows doesn't handle automatically expanding the pagefile tiny increments very well, which can cause the game to crash. A large default pagefile solves that

Hello, I have just tried increasing the page file size on my D drive, where Cities is located, and still received an error, find logs attached.

I have also attached a screenshot of the page file adjustments made, does it have to be on the C drive?

Attachments

• Paradox Image 1.PNG
    Paradox Image 1.PNG
    15,8 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    12,8 KB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    476,4 KB · Views: 0
At this point I'm going to recommend a complete reset of the game on this system, since what we see in your logs doesn't really make sense to me.

- Remove the game from Steam (uninstall)
- unsubscribe from ALL mods and assets in the Steam workshop for the game
- Manually delete all these files and folders, if still there:

...\Steam\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines\
...\Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\255710\
...\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines
(first move the /saves/ folder elsewhere to keep your save games)
(To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer)

- Install the game again and see if it runs now without mods
- if so, subscribe to your preferred mods ONLY (no assets) and check it still runs okay
- then you can start adding assets. I'd do it in small batches with tests between, so if one or some are triggering problems you'll see pretty quickly

Good luck with that!