• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mike_Riggs

Private
Mar 23, 2023
Describe your issue
Game crashes when loading save

What is your game version?
1.16.1 f2

What expansions do you have installed?
After Dark, Snowfall, Natural Disasters, Mass Transit, Green Cities, Parklife, Industries, Campus, Sunset Harbor, Airports

What mods are you using?
A ton!

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
game crashing when loading modded save. Have tried disabling mods..... save loads but nothing there. tried finding faulty mod without success. Even got rid of some that were severely out of date and replaced them with confirmed up to date ones. Will attach crash report. I tried taking a screenshot but I get a window alert not within game. I can try the print screen function, but I have a 3 monitor setup.

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.
yes.... I get the same result every load.

Attachments File(s) attached

Attachments

• error.log
    35 KB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    13 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
I spotted More Advanced Toolbar in your mods, which is a known broken mod. I recommend you subscribe it and switch to Resize It or Yet Another Toolbar. If that doesn't help, please attach a new set of logs from the latest crash.

Thanks for the reply Avanya! I tried it while I was getting ready for work. But unfortunately it wasn't the culprit.

When I get home I will try groups of mods.... the downside is it takes around 30 minutes to load the save.

I will post logs as I can.

I spotted More Advanced Toolbar in your mods, which is a known broken mod. I recommend you subscribe it and switch to Resize It or Yet Another Toolbar. If that doesn't help, please attach a new set of logs from the latest crash.
Well it's been a few days and I am getting absolutely no where. I have tried pretty much everything short of starting completely fresh (which I really don't want to do.... especially with the hours I've put in my latest city).

Attachments

• crash.dmp
    713,4 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    34,6 KB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    12 MB · Views: 0
**UPDATE**

I just used Load Order Tool and excluded ALL Assets. Save loaded, the city is there (it has a lot of empty space but at least I have an airport.)
Obviously this is an asset issue. I have about 10,000 assets (most of which I don't use) I will re-enable them in groups of 100 and see what I can find.

Some assets are related to mods. Such as Metro Overhaul, Tram Station Tracks, Single lane train tracks etc. So this should be interesting.

At this point I have gone through about 2300 out of 9453 Assets. Somewhere in the middle I got the bright idea to look at the Loading Screen Mod report..... There was several broken/bloated assets that were causing errors so I unsubscribed them (I should have made a list.... but I haven't deleted the report yet so stay tuned).

I have a three screen setup with one monitor being vertical. This allows for seeing full pages in a word processor or in this case 76 lines in the Load Order Tool and that is how many I am loading into the save every time I load. I did try 150 assets at a time but I starting hitting multiple errors and had to start over and found the following error "Simulation Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object". The error caused my whole city (or what was loaded in at that point anyway) to disappear and leave lots of blue squares. I removed assets until I stopped getting the error and then slowly re-added them until it popped again. It was a vehicle, Mack MR Front Loader by grayishbyrd. I will leave the asset inactive but still subbed and try loading it again later just in case it's tied to a building that hasn't loaded in yet.

7000 assets to go (roughly). It's going to be a long week and seeing how I started leaving updates on my progress, hopefully I can help someone out.

Well.... I got tired of going through assets and tried "safenets" and "save our saves" mods..... They didn't work. Soooooo I tried an uninstall and also made sure to delete the install folder but made sure to leave the workshop subscriptions alone. Guess what??!!! I loaded the save!!!!! No Errors but all my mod settings had reverted to vanilla.... I didn't care so much at that point.

I saved under a different name and quit to desktop, then relaunched the game and started loading my save.......back to square one. Getting an error report on every load attempt again. I guess its time to start pulling out my hair and seeing as I'm not getting much help, I'm gonna go bald quick. Can anyone save me?

Attachments

• crash.dmp
    803,7 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    34,6 KB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    12,4 MB · Views: 0
Please check your mods against this list:
Make sure to check the tab "Broken"

If you still get this problem after removing or replacing any bad ones, attach here a new copy of the game's log file:
…\Steam\steamapps\common\CitiesSkylines\CitiesData\output_log.txt

AND the affected save game file. Thanks.

If you still get this problem after removing or replacing any bad ones, attach here a new copy of the game's log file:

Thanks for the reply. I did manage to load the save completely after verifying local files. I have been pouring over that list already and I know it isn't a mod issue at this point.

I will try loading when I get home from work, I think the error will pop again.

Error Popped!

I also tried verifying game files again... but still got the error.
Your requests for the output log and game save are attached. I have also included the Load Order Tool profile.

Attachments

• Output + Save.zip
    16,8 MB · Views: 0
That doesn't seem to be a valid .zip file. You can attach the actual files here separately.

That doesn't seem to be a valid .zip file. You can attach the actual files here separately.
Try this one.... I can't upload the LOT profile.
Otherwise I have include just the other 2 files.

The output log is not current. I just tried cleaning out the appdata folder as there was some latent xml files from deleted mods. Unfortunately it didn't work. and I still got the error.
I also tried deleting several confirmed broken assets.

This is starting to get highly nerve-racking.

I am going to try removing AVO and its related settings files but I gotta go out tonight so that will be my last attempt for today.

Attachments

• Output + Save (2).zip
    17,4 MB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    13,6 MB · Views: 0
  • Silverado 61C crashnfix + dam.crp
    43,1 MB · Views: 0
C:\Users\Rigel\AppData\Local\Discord\app-1.0.9011\modules\discord_hook-1\discord_hook\48307f946ce\DiscordHook64.dll
Can you please turn off the Discord overlay and then try the game?

I turned it off inside discord. I left the house but left the save loading.

If it doesn't work.... should I delete the file you pointed to?
No, but you could unload Discord entirely and try the game then.

If still no good, we'll need help from @co_avanya next week I think.

I'm not familiar with the Loading Order Mod, but I spotted this in your log just before you get a stack overflow error which leads to the crash. I recommend checking your settings for the Loading Order Mod and making sure you don't have any debug or experimental features enabled.
722,221ms | LoadOrder | [Warning] 722,229ms | gap=1,896ms | using DEBUG MONO is slow! use Load order tool to launch game in release mode!

No, but you could unload Discord entirely and try the game then.

If still no good, we'll need help from @co_avanya next week I think.
I'm not familiar with the Loading Order Mod, but I spotted this in your log just before you get a stack overflow error which leads to the crash. I recommend checking your settings for the Loading Order Mod and making sure you don't have any debug or experimental features enabled.
Thanks to you both I got it working. Turning off the Discord overlay didn't work but closing Discord entirely, did.

I was running debug to get "better logs" and once I had everything loaded 3 times in a row I turned it off because yes, it does make the game slower.