• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Azuvector

Corporal
44 Badges
Feb 24, 2018
  • Ancient Space
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Magicka 2
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Crusader Kings II
Describe your issue
District names display corrupted

What is your game version?
1.13.1-f1

Does your computer meet the system requirements?
Yes. Easily.

Are your computer's drivers up to date? (check the manufacturers website to see if any updates are available)
Yes. It's also happened before over the years, so this affects basically any driver version. On an nVidia GeForce RTX 2060. Windows 10. Fairly sure I experienced it on Windows 7 as well, and other nVidia cards.

What expansions do you have installed?
After Dark, Snowfall, Natural Disasters, Mass Transit, Green Cities, Parklife, Industries, Campus, Sunset Harbor

What mods are you using?
None. I have a bunch of non-mod assets from the steam workshop installed, a few ploppable buildings and such, though. No actual mods that show in the mods menu, however. (There are a bunch downloaded, but none are enabled.)

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
Sometimes the district names displayed in game will be corrupt, with random characters or symbols displayed. See screenshots.
There are other reports of this, eg: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ing-and-closing-editor-spells-them-o.1445270/ but the response seems confused. Hopefully this is clearer.

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.
I can't recreate it. It appears to happen at random, but it can be quite frequent. This has been a very long-standing issue with the game, I believe I was experiencing it before After Dark was released, and it does occur with no DLC installed. Apologies for not reporting it for such a long time. If you google "cities skylines districts corrupt" you will find multiple hits from multiple people over the years. Some with mods, some without.
Some samples of those posts:

The name itself is normal, if you pull up the district to examine policies and such, it only appears corrupt on the main game view of your city.

This can be worked around/reset to normal by selecting the affected district, selecting the district tool, and selecting a different size brush.

Attachments File(s) attached

Attachments

• districtcorrupt.png
    districtcorrupt.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    108,1 KB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    176,9 KB · Views: 0
  • districtfine.png
    districtfine.png
    3,1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Is this reproducible in any unmodded saved game you might have? We'd pretty much need that for the devs to be able to diagnose and fix it.

Far as I know, other than that I've no idea how to trigger it to happen, it just decides to at some point for some unknown reason. The workaround being a consistent way to correct it ingame is the only reproducible clue I know.
Here's my current city(was in the middle of overhauling some stuff, so it's a bit of a mess, but irrelevant for the purposes here).
Again, only mods in use are ploppable assets, which the game doesn't list as mods. I think the game would just remove those, when loading the map? Just a handful of decorations/buildings/park assets.

Attachments

• Appleview.crp
    14,8 MB · Views: 0
That save does not show the problem here, on loading it anyway. Do you think it would if I left it running hands-off for a while?
This can be worked around/reset to normal by selecting the affected district, selecting the district tool, and selecting a different size brush.
Is that the only way? What if you save , exit, and reload ?

That's the thing, I've no idea how to reproduce it happening, just reproduce it being worked around. Restarting the game works too, but that's not exactly desirable when you're wanting to play, nor does it guarantee that the district name(s) affected will be corrected, or that others won't be affected.
It happens on its own; I don't know if it happens when the game is loaded, or if it just occurs at some point after it's been running for a while. Because of the size of cities and that there are often a bunch of districts that people don't always pay attention to, it just gets noticed at random sometimes.

I have had this a bunch of times, but I mostly play modded, so never looked into it. I suspect it's related to memory usage, since I haven't seen it unmodded, but I can't be sure. And it's never been consistant for me. Happens maybe 1-5% of the times I load up a save. I can restart and load the exact same save and not have it happen. So definitely a hard one to pinpoint.

For me just clicking the district name to change it and hitting enter solves it (another reason I never looked into what might cause it).

Just a followup as I just noticed for sure. It does occur with the game immediately started fresh, from the save above. Noticed a corrupt district name even before I unpaused the game just now. So you should be able to reload it repeatedly until it happens to one or more of the districts in that city.

This has indeed been around for a long time, I still get it regularly when loading a save despite switching PC's in the meantime. It's probably Unity engine related. The fix is simple though, just flick the district tool on and back off and all names return back to normal.

I first noticed it from the 81-tile mod not long after it came out.

But I've had it happen on non-81-tile modded cities as well.

I remember some mod returning it back to normal. I forgot which as I don't use mods myself.

I also remember loading screen mod doing it at the end, just before zoning in to the map. All of the text looks garbled like that.

I fired up you city for a bit, while I was waiting for GTAV to do it's 95GB download and install.

I has no issue with distrct names, until anout 30-minutes in when I made a railroad connection through a distrct, when suddenly the name turned to garbage.

I had unsubscribed a couple problematic mods, like 81-tiles and 25-tile mods. auto-bulldozer, and a few others I don't recall.

Is this a custom map or from the workshop? It could get tied to it from mapmaker if mods were used to create it.

Ah, I must have loaded another game recently and loaded mods tied to another save.

I just let it run another 30 minutes and I did some more tweaking on the city and no issues.

I guess just ignore my last comment.

All seems fine on my end.

Reactions: