• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CHMultimedia

Recruit
Aug 30, 2021
Describe your issue
Crashing prior to entering the city

What is your game version?
1.13.3-f9

What expansions do you have installed?
After Dark, Snowfall, Mass Transit, Green Cities, Parklife, Industries, Sunset Harbor

What mods are you using?

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
Since yesterday, the game has been crashing on my computer. How it does so varies. It can either freeze, crash silently or take down the iGPU with it (my computer drives all its displays via the iGPU at all times, even when apps are drawn by the dGPU). I have not changed my configuration prior to this issue arising. The error logs claim there was an access violation.

It started when I plugged my laptop to my monitor. It was fine for about two hours until the game took down the iGPU. Cue black screen, impossible to save, sadly. Had to force the reboot. Went to reinstall the iGPU drivers and re-enable it from Windows Device Manager. I did not try again until today, where it crashes also on my integrated display.

My apologies if this post is a bit scarce on details, I had a proper wall of text until it was all lost. There should be an automatic saving feature for those situations. Ah well.

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.
Boot the game and enjoy! Or don't, accordingly.

Attachments File(s) attached

Attachments

• error.log
    32,8 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture d’écran (19).png
    Capture d’écran (19).png
    6,5 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
I have not noted any mods in my list because the issue persists with all my mods disabled. Now, I just had an error saying something along the lines of "Virtual alloc in gc failed" or something, the error went away very quickly.

You have run out of memory:
88% memory in use.
32488 MB physical memory [3588 MB free].
36584 MB paging file [5 MB free].
Consider to clean up in your mods and assets as you never use all of them at once and they are just eating up unnecessary space. If you are having the money for it buy more RAM.

Reactions:
You have run out of memory:

Consider to clean up in your mods and assets as you never use all of them at once and they are just eating up unnecessary space. If you are having the money for it buy more RAM.
That's strange, as a previous laptop with far less memory had no issues running with the same mods and assets. In any case, this suggestion led me to check my swap file and it was indeed quite small at about 4GiB. I increased it to 24GiB spread over my two SSDs and now the game runs happily. Windows must have reduced it following the catastrophic crash of yesterday. I believe I have read something along those lines some time ago though I could be wrong. The game required a total of 10GiB to boot without taking down everything in its path. Anyway, thank you for your help!

If you own all DLC's the game will eat 16 GB RAM.
Unfortunately.. me included.. the workshop can be really dangerously addictive. Everyone will at some point have to learn selfcontrol.