Cities: Skylines (Steam) - Cities: Skylines fails to launch on Mac (error: launching game failed)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ingerdave

Recruit
1 Badges
Jun 3, 2021
  • Cities: Skylines
Describe your issue
Cities: Skylines fails to launch on Mac (error: launching game failed)

What is your game version?

What expansions do you have installed?
(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

What mods are you using?
none.

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
Brand new steam user, brand new paradox game user. Fresh install on Mac OS Big Sur 11.4). When I launch Cities: Skylines, I get the error next to a red triangle by the start button

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.
yes. happens whenever I launch the game.

Attachments File(s) attached

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 4.05.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 4.05.28 PM.png
    558,6 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Please attach this log file here:
~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

To find that file, in Finder do cmd-shift-G to bring up the GOTO box. In there paste ~/Library/ . You will see a /Logs/ folder, and inside that /Unity/ folder. Please attach that file player.log here by dropping it on this support ticket, or use the "Attach file" link here.

Also in Steam please click on Steam-Help-System Info, and paste everything there into a text file and attach that here.

Please attach this log file here:
~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

To find that file, in Finder do cmd-shift-G to bring up the GOTO box. In there paste ~/Library/ . You will see a /Logs/ folder, and inside that /Unity/ folder. Please attach that file player.log here by dropping it on this support ticket, or use the "Attach file" link here.

Also in Steam please click on Steam-Help-System Info, and paste everything there into a text file and attach that here.
I do not have a Unity folder inside ~/Library/Logs. I also searched the entire computer for 'player.log' and nothing was found. My STEAM -> HELP -> SYSTEM INFO output is below. I saw in another support thread on this same exact issue you recommended the user add -force-glcore to the properties of the game. I have done that, but the issue still remains.

Computer Information:
Manufacturer: Apple
Model: MacBookPro16,1
Form Factor: Laptop
No Touch Input Detected

Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: GenuineIntel
CPU Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz
CPU Family: 0x6
CPU Model: 0x9e
CPU Stepping: 0xd
CPU Type: 0x0
Speed: 2300 Mhz
16 logical processors
8 physical processors
HyperThreading: Supported
FCMOV: Unsupported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Unsupported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported
AES: Supported
AVX: Supported
AVX2: Unsupported
AVX512F: Unsupported
AVX512PF: Unsupported
AVX512ER: Unsupported
AVX512CD: Unsupported
AVX512VNNI: Unsupported
SHA: Unsupported
CMPXCHG16B: Supported
LAHF/SAHF: Supported
PrefetchW: Unsupported

Operating System Version:
MacOS 10.16.0 (64 bit)

Video Card:
Driver: Intel UHD Graphics 630
Driver Version: 1.2
OpenGL Version: 2.1
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 59 Hz
VendorID: 0x8086
DeviceID: 0x3e9b
Revision: 0x2
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 2
Primary Display Resolution: 2304 x 1440
Desktop Resolution: 2304 x 1440
Primary Display Size: 13.54" x 8.46" (15.94" diag)
34.4cm x 21.5cm (40.5cm diag)
Primary VRAM: 0 MB

Memory:
RAM: 32768 Mb

VR Hardware:
VR Headset: None detected

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Media Type: DVD
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 953904 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 359241 Mb

Storage:
Number of SSDs: 0
SSD sizes: %s1
Number of HDDs: 0
HDD sizes: %s1

The Unity-logs folder really should be there, even though the game fails to start.

What happens if you run cities.app directly from Finder?

The Unity-logs folder really should be there, even though the game fails to start.

What happens if you run cities.app directly from Finder?
I have double checked and unity is not there. I have completely uninstalled the cities app and also all of steam and tried again and get the same result.

If I try to start the app directly from finder, I get a Mac OS crash dump.

have you tried to reproduce this on Big Sur 11.4(most recent patch) on a MacBook Pro with the intel display adapter?

I don't have that hardware I'm sorry, just my iMac with 11.4 and an AMD Pro 580 . FYI I'm an external contractor working from home, I don't have access to a lab!

But even if those were factors that should not prevent the game from making that log, which is almost the first thing it does.

However to help with the Intel video system, which is unsupported hardware for this game, In your Steam Library right-click on this game and choose Properties. Click on Set Launch Options, and paste this in there:
-force-glcore

If I try to start the app directly from finder, I get a Mac OS crash dump.
Can we get details of that please?

I don't think I saw any disclaimer saying Macs with Intel graphics hardware are not compatible with the game. If that's the case, please let me know how I may request a refund. I am running this on Apple's most powerful MacBook (at the moment), so it's unfortunate that Intel graphics adaptor is not supported.

The Apple dump is attached.

Attachments

• apple-dump.txt
    126,4 KB · Views: 0
I don't think I saw any disclaimer saying Macs with Intel graphics hardware are not compatible with the game
It is in the Steam store page for the game:
  • MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.0GHz
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 260, 512 MB or ATI Radeon HD 5670, 512 MB (Does not support Intel Integrated Graphics Cards)
If that's the case, please let me know how I may request a refund.
Refunds can only come from the store you bought from, so the Steam store or wherever.

The Apple dump is attached.
That's a very interesting and unusual crash dump. Nothing to do with the video, it seems to be entirely around the file system, some problem creating a directory ...

Does this Mac just use the standard AFPS file system, or something more exotic or encrypted?

It is in the Steam store page for the game:
  • MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.0GHz
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 260, 512 MB or ATI Radeon HD 5670, 512 MB (Does not support Intel Integrated Graphics Cards)

Refunds can only come from the store you bought from, so the Steam store or wherever.

That's a very interesting and unusual crash dump. Nothing to do with the video, it seems to be entirely around the file system, some problem creating a directory ...

Does this Mac just use the standard AFPS file system, or something more exotic or encrypted?
It is AFPS, but I have FileVault enabled.

Ah, that will be the problem then, I am pretty sure from that crash stack. Is that something you can disable in certain folders or at least volumes?

Since today I'm having the same problem...thing is it worked fine beforehand, I have over 80 hours on Cities Skylines on the same computer.

I'd love it if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Player.log
    45 MB · Views: 0
Unless you have FileVault then this will not be the same problem, in fact. Best in future to start your own thread rather than "me too" post in someone else's, thanks.

Please check your installed mods against this list:

If you get the same problem again after removing or replacing any bad ones, please post a new player.log, thanks.