• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RoamingPanda

Recruit
Jun 8, 2021
Describe your issue
Cities Skylines can't launch from Steam (Mac)

What is your game version?
Downloaded from Steam on June 8, 2021

What expansions do you have installed?
After Dark, Snowfall, Mass Transit, Industries, Sunset Harbor

What mods are you using?
No

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
Black screen after clicking the PLAY button from Steam. Before a Steam update on June 8, 2021 it was OK, but after the update it fails to start the game. I can run other Paradox games from Steam though.

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.
Yes, Cities Skylines just won't start every time I try.

Attachments File(s) attached

Attachments

• Player.log
    38,5 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
We have many reports of this since the Steam client update yesterday. Please try a **clean** reinstall of Steam and game:

- Remove the game from Steam (uninstall)
- Manually delete all these files and folders, if still there:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Cities_Skylines/
~/Library/Application Support/Steam/userdata/<SteamID>/255710/
~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/workshop/content/255710/
~/Library/Application Support/Colossal Order/Cities_Skylines/
(first move the /saves/ folder elsewhere to keep your save games)

Clean Steam reinstall:

- Install the game again and see if it runs now.

If that doesn't help,I suspect we'll need to wait for a further Steam update. You could try opting into their beta program meantime though.

Thank for your suggestions. Upon checking some previous threads this is what is working for me at least for now: remove all contents in

~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/

except for the executable "bootstrapper-v2" and the folder "launcher-v2.2020.4" to keep some previous launcher. I wish the players could go through a more smooth updating process though.

Thank for your suggestions. Upon checking some previous threads this is what is working for me at least for now: remove all contents in

~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/

except for the executable "bootstrapper-v2" and the folder "launcher-v2.2020.4" to keep some previous launcher. I wish the players could go through a more smooth updating process though.
Hi, I seemed to have accidentally deleted the "bootstrapper-v2" and the folder "launcher-v2.2020.4" due to some error from Steam yesterday (Mac). I'm currently using the "Not Paradox Launcher" to run the game. Is it possible to re-download these two items above?

Hi, I seemed to have accidentally deleted the "bootstrapper-v2" and the folder "launcher-v2.2020.4" due to some error from Steam yesterday (Mac). I'm currently using the "Not Paradox Launcher" to run the game. Is it possible to re-download these two items above?
They should re-install themselves when you next run the game. And the launcher should update to 2021.5.2 as well.

I think a new Steam update was out yesterday fixing the issue with launching the game
Yes, it is. But I can only run the game using the Not Paradox Launcher app since the Paradox Launcher couldn't be re-install.

They should re-install themselves when you next run the game. And the launcher should update to 2021.5.2 as well.
In my case, the only folder that existed inside the "~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/" folder is the "launcher-V2". So when I hit the green play button from the Steam app, the button would change to "blue stop" for a few moments then revert to the previous state. The launcher didn't / won't re-install themselves.

In my case, the only folder that existed inside the "~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/" folder is the "launcher-V2". So when I hit the green play button from the Steam app, the button would change to "blue stop" for a few moments then revert to the previous state. The launcher didn't / won't re-install themselves.
Then you have a different problem than this thread is about, which was a Steam bug.

Let's try forcing an update of the launcher.

Download the installer package: https://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/emailsignatures/2021.5-mac-prod.zip

Unpack the file you just downloaded and place the three files in the Steam folder for the game you're having issues with. If asked if you want to replace already existing files click "yes" - that's a sign you are in the right place!

Then delete "~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/" folder , and run the game from the Steam PLAY button.

Good luck with that!

Let's try forcing an update of the launcher.

Unpack the file you just downloaded and place the three files in the Steam folder for the game you're having issues with. If asked if you want to replace already existing files click "yes" - that's a sign you are in the right place!

Then delete "~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/" folder , and run the game from the Steam PLAY button.

Good luck with that!
Thanks for your help! The launcher has been re-installed and works perfectly now :cool: