Cities: Skylines (Steam) - cannot change radio, can only listen to default music

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

sykall

Corporal
17 Badges
Aug 27, 2019
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Describe your issue
cannot change radio, can only listen to default music

What is your game version?
1.13.1-f1

What expansions do you have installed?
After Dark, Snowfall, Natural Disasters, Mass Transit, Green Cities, Parklife, Industries, Campus, Sunset Harbor

What mods are you using?
none

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
I cannot change the radio station despite owning e.g. the campus radio or deep focus radio dlc. Whenever I select another radio station except the default one, no music is playing. Other game sounds are not affected. And the default radio station/main music is still playable.

Three different saves as examples.

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.
This issue exists since I first bought the game, no matter the map I am playing or what DLC I have bought since then. Checking the game data for errors via steam or installing the game on a new PC does not solve the issue.

Attachments File(s) attached

Attachments

• Hannes.crp
    6,5 MB · Views: 0
  • Jotungrad.crp
    9,8 MB · Views: 0
  • Los Ricos.crp
    7,2 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
I frankly have no idea what could cause this, I don't recall any previous case like this.

If you install on another machine as a test, does it still happen there?

Please gather both these two informational files, and attach them here:

...\Steam\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines\Cities_Data\output_log.txt

DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

The game log file you already have, we just need it attached here please.

dxdiag.exe comes with Windows , you have it already. Running it and generating that txt file will only take a few seconds.

Last edited:
I hope this are the ones you need.
Sorry, I am a bloody amatuer with computers beyond surface level stuff.

Attachments

• DxDiag_Sykall.txt
    80,1 KB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    72 KB · Views: 0
You do have a sound problem with your setup:
Error: Cannot create FMOD::Sound instance for resource èÔ mö, (Operation could not be performed because specified sound/DSP connection is not ready. )
I don't know what could cause that, your audio setup in Windows looks okay, just one channel and one driver.

If you plug in USB headphones do you hear those radio channels then?

What you might try is uninstalling that RealTek sound driver and rebooting. Windows will detect the audio hardware with no driver and offer to install one; accept that and reboot again. Hopefully that will fix it.

Good luck!

Hey,
Using other headphones or plug in sound boxes does not change anything.

I also deinstalled the Realetk audio driver. So far Windows did not offer to install a new version. But the problem is still the same. Standard music is playable, but as soon as I switch to another radio thanthe default no music is played. Other ingame sounds are not affected, just the radio music. And as I said earlier, I had the same problem on two different pcs.

Here is the DxDiag and the output_log from my PC after I deinstalled the RealTek audio driver.

Attachments

• DxDiag_sykall2.txt
    80,6 KB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    126,4 KB · Views: 0
Still the exact same Realtek driver in there I see - are you sure you uninstalled it?

Does the other affected machine have that same Realtek driver perhaps?

Has this always happened ever since you've had this game? Or it was okay up to some point?

This bug exists since I first bought the game. I have no clue how the music of other radio stations sounds. Which Realtek driver my old PC had I cannot say anymore.

Whats further strange is, that this is the ONLY problem I have with the audio. Every other game or video player or anything else sounds fine. So I assumed it must be a problem with the game itself and not my PCs. So I waited for an eventuell update and also took a break from playing the game, but not because of the radio problem.

I deinstalled the RealTek audio driver, which I found under uinstalling programs. A new version was appereantly stealthly updated on 12.01.2021 as I did not get a message to install it. This must be the version you see in my second dxdiag file.

Normally I'd get you to go to the vendor site and see if there's a newer, or even an older, version of that driver to install. But every time I've gone to the RealTek site it's been a complete nightmare, I've never found anything I'm looking for on it. Maybe you'll have better luck!

Or you could try the HP support site, see if they host RealTek drivers for your system - hopefully a different version than you have!