• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RagingSidney

Recruit
Jul 29, 2021
Describe your issue
Blue particles flying through the screen

What is your game version?
1.13.3-f9

What expansions do you have installed?
(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

What mods are you using?
Loading Screen Mod
Hide It!

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
I recently got a new computer (HP Omen Desktop) with an Intel Core i7-10700F 2.90GHz processor and a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB VRAM graphics card. My computer has 16GB available RAM.

I installed Cities Skylines clean on the computer and I installed without mods. I noticed right away after starting a new game in the map 'Black Woods' (Boreal theme) blue particles flying through the screen as seen in the screenshots below. This happens on every standard map.

https://ibb.co/HTjdSTH
https://ibb.co/bFxYm3j
https://ibb.co/84qVbvM
https://ibb.co/VW2H1P7

What you actually see is blue stripes flying through the screen and it goes really fast.

Things I've tried:

Cities Skylines:
- Add launch options to Steam: -force-d3d9 -popupwindow (-noWorkshop and -disableMods have the same results)
- Tried to force openGL using both commands (not at the same time) instead of DirectX
- Turn off VSync, Anisotropic, Anti-aliasing, Depth of field in the options menu and set texture/terrain/shadows quality to Low
- Lower the resolution
- Run Cities.exe as Administrator, in compatibility mode, disable full screen optimization
- Add Cities.exe to the Windows Firewall
- Ran Steam file integrity validation multiple times

NVIDIA Control Panel:
- Set power mode to maximum performance
- In Adjust desktop size and position: Scaling to No Scaling and set scaling to GPU

Graphics card drivers:
I used the DDU tool to completely remove the driver (in safe mode) version 471.41 and install older versions. None of the older versions on the NVIDIA download page for my graphics card fixes the issue. I installed following these steps:

1. Turned off Windows Update and disconnected from the internet
2. Used DDU to boot in safe mode and remove the driver
3. Rebooted the system
4. Installed the driver
5. Rebooted the system

Windows:
- Set the pagefile size to be 32GB
- Checked the power management plans and energy save modes
- Made sure all drivers are up to date
- Installed DirectX SDK for older versions
- Installed C++ libraries from 2005 to present

Samsung Monitor:
- Installed the samsung monitor driver
- Checked if FreeSync was turned on, but it was turned off already
- Checked the refresh rate, this is standard at 60Hz

Now I can play in windowed mode, the stripes are still there and after a few minutes the game freezes, the whole map turns blue and then resets. In the output log I can see it resets the D3DDevice. In provided output log, I loaded a map, the game froze 1 time, map turned blue and reset. Right after the same happened. Freeze, map blue, reset. I am completely lost at this point, and nobody seems to have an answer for me. Not even on the NVIDIA community forums. Not even on HP's Support forums.

I hope you guys can help me out.

NB: The dxdiag.txt might be in Dutch :)

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.

Attachments File(s) attached

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    70 KB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag-29-7-2021.txt
    104,1 KB · Views: 0
In the notifications screen of Windows it says 'Application is blocked from accessing graphics hardware'. When I google the message it tells to re-install graphics drivers (which I've done multiple times as stated before). Otherwise add a TdrDelay registry key in the Windows registry. I've done that, but Windows is still blocking Cities.exe. Might that be the problem? It's also doing it for Transport Fever 2. I haven't tested other games yet.

Frankly, if that is happening to a new machine IMO you should contact the vendor and get them to fix or replace it - you shouldn't need to struggle with it yourself!

Frankly, if that is happening to a new machine IMO you should contact the vendor and get them to fix or replace it - you shouldn't need to struggle with it yourself!
Agreed. This is a brand new machine, so it should be covered under at least a minimal 90 day warranty (at least in the US). This sounds like someone locked down hardware a little too tightly.