Cities: Skylines (Steam) - "An error occured" message in the game (object referenced not set to an instance of an object)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

OMER_Shemesh10

Recruit
Mar 28, 2021
Describe your issue
"An error occured" message in the game (object referenced not set to an instance of an object)

What is your game version?
1-13-1-f1

What expansions do you have installed?
(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

What mods are you using?
BigCity - Sets the maximum amount of tiles to 25 by sankai
Network Extensions 2-A continuation of the successful Network Extensions Project by sniggledigit
Super Demand - All demands stay high, no decays. by Klyte45
TM:pE 11.5.0 LABS - Manage your city's traffic by aubergine 18
Unlimited Money - Money never runs out
Unlimited Oll And Ore - Oil and ore are not reduced from terrain
Unlimited Soll -Landscaping without limits
Unlock All - Progression milestones are always unlocked
Unlock All + Wonders & Landmarks - Unlock all + Wonders & Landmarks from beginning by BloodyPenguin

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
"An error occured" message in the game ( (object referenced not set to an instance of an object)) :

It appears when I start the game -> The game is started as regular.
When I am using "start the time" feature (with space key), the following message appear and its always return even if confirm it or closing it using the X button..
This is blocking the game all the time (user cant get rid of this message).

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.
Yes - it will happen again each time using the same scenario

Attachments File(s) attached

Attachments

• CitySkiyline2.png
    CitySkiyline2.png
    2,8 MB · Views: 0
  • QuickSave20210319143114245.7z
    15,1 MB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    107,4 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
I'm not sure what's causing the error, but the good news is loading up your save it isn't there. So your city is fine. I didn't install all the mods you have used, only Network Extensions 2, so let's start by removing mods to eliminate them as the cause. Try unsubscribing (not disabling) these for now:

BigCity - Sets the maximum amount of tiles to 25 by sankai
Super Demand - All demands stay high, no decays. by Klyte45
TMPE 11.5.0 LABS - Manage your city's traffic by aubergine 18
Unlock All + Wonders & Landmarks - Unlock all + Wonders & Landmarks from beginning by BloodyPenguin

Does the error still happen without them subscribed?

Hi,

I have already gone through all the modules and removed them already.
I did this after a discussion I had with your support team.
When we saw that it did not help, the support team told me to install them again (so that they would be updated).

Waiting for you to reply,

Thanks,
Omar.

Did they have you remove all mods? Your city won't load without Network Extensions 2, so that mod can't be removed without causing more errors. If you haven't tried with that but without the others, please do that and attach a log from that attempt.

If you've already tried that with no difference, please try a clean install of the game. Here's how that's done:

- Unsubscribe all mods and assets
- Uninstall the game through Steam
- Manually delete all these files and folders, if still there:

...\Steam\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines\
...\Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\255710\
...\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines

First move the /saves/ folder elsewhere to keep your save games

Then install the game again, place the saves back and add Network Extensions 2, since your city won't work without it. Make sure to enable it as we have cleared the settings for mods by doing a clean install, so it will be disabled.

HI,
I have done the following:
1.UNsubscribed the mods (except those which are buildt-in and cant unsubscribed)
2.Backed up SAVES dir
3.Unisnatlled the game from Steam App
4.Deleted all leftovers as you have stated
5.Restarted my computer
6.Installed the game again
7.Copied the backup of saves to
C:\Users\עומר שמש\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines\Saves
8.Insatlled again 'Network ext2"
BUT
I get same message!!!
How can that be even after uninstall + deleting dir's ????

Thanks,
Omer.

My apologies for the late response!

Can you attach the output_log.txt from that attempt? Does starting a new city to test in also give you errors? Or just your existing save?

Hi
as I said before - new city is working fine.
Its only my the old city.

Attched is the log file.
Search for "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    2,9 MB · Views: 0
Let's see if we can't get that city working too then! You have a simulation error happening, which a few mods can help recover from. Add these 3 mods:

Make sure to enable them in the Content Manager. Then, before loading your save, go into Options and find the Loading Screen mod on the left. Find the Safe Mode options and enable them all. Then try loading your save.

If that doesn't help, attach the save here like you have the logs and I'll see what I can do.

Hi Again...
I have:
1.Installed all 3 modes + Enabled them
2.I have opened my last save from 19.03 - and problem still occures.
Attached:
1.My last save
2.Logs

Attachments

• QuickSave20210319141941533.7z
    15,1 MB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    3,9 MB · Views: 0
Hmm, your save loads fine for me. Let's try doing exactly what I did. Open up the game and go into the Content Manager. Then in Savegames find your save on the list. Click the "Subscribe All" button on the save and wait for the game to do its thing. For me, the game crashed as it subscribed to two different versions of TMPE. If that doesn't happen for you, simply restart the game once it's done. If you have 2 versions of TMPE, remove the old one. Then go into the Content Manager again, find the save in Savegames and this time click the "Enable All" button. Wait for it to do its thing, restart the game if any mod errors appear. And then try loading the save.