• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We have been busy little bees working on something completely new for Cities: Skylines and now we finally get to talk about it!

Cities: Skylines Snowfall is inspired by the Finnish winter that just seems to last forever. It's all about what we see and feel around us: Snow, ice and cold weather. You get to experience the snowfall, so make sure your citizens stay warm by offering heating, and tackling the challenges of slippery roads slowing down traffic.

8NwUIBC.png

People have been asking us to add seasons to the game. However we felt that winter should have it's own theme with unique challenges. This means that winter maps have eternal snow and new features tied to it. You can create your own winter maps in the map editor or play the three maps that are available in Snowfall.

oeFZ6Iu.png

The snow is naturally a very visual feature and we have created quite a few new buildings for the theme. Many of the base game buildings have been varied to fit winter conditions better, so you won’t have flowerbeds or palm trees in your winter wonderland. For modders we'll have more information how to prepare their assets for the snow coming later, but what we can say at this point is that the snow is generated by code and the assets should work with minor tweaks. Roads are also covered by snow and citizens wear winter clothing. Just like in European maps, winter maps have special buildings only available in them. We have also added some weather effects for all the other map themes.

MjPTFsR.png

Not only is the winter map about the visuals but there are special services that are available only in this theme. So make sure you clear the roads of the snow and heat up the citizen's home because the temperature is dropping. We'll be talking about these new features and more in a weekly developer diary until the release, so stay tuned!

Are you ready for a gorgeous winter wonderland?

Well, did you know that workers actually do not need to reach their workplace? https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...o-consequence-for-not-getting-to-work.883621/

And i am afraid, he did not say it is a city management simulator - he said it is supposed to be one, and not a traffic sim. And this even isnt a traffic sim. You have no idea how heavy traffic can ruin a residential district in sim city 4 - such things are not possible in C:S.

I know. Maybe I'm not really explaining my thoughts clearly as I'm busy with work and I jump on here quickly and jump off. When work was quiet I would go on CS almost every night. Lately, I haven't because to me it's lost the luster it had when first released. Or should I say glow. I'm grateful CO created this game and it still is one of my favorite games.

Yes, I know what happens in SC4 when there is heavy traffic! What I'm simply saying is that I'd love a perfect marriage between simulator and builder. I don't like to just plop and build, I want to think about it and make sure commuters don't get aggravated. If they do, then I would address it. Something to do while plopping :)

I just feel modders and CO are up top and us gamers who don't mod or use mods are getting left behind. I'm probably wrong but I just feel it.

As I said, I ultimately want to see a simulation and builder together. Oh and I loved the Cities in Motion Franchise. So my ultimate dream is C.i.M merged into it as well.

I like the ideea of the snowfall, but, there is still one major feature that lacks, the 4 seasons availability... Why is it not available with this update ?!?! Many european countries have this, and US states struggle with these seasons, it rains, it snows, you need to adapt, to get your city working no matter what

It's unfortunate that we are not able to please everyone with what we choose to add to Cities: Skylines. As most of you probably know the people on this forum are the most hardcore players and you generally value simulation, depth and further challenges more than the majority of people who own and play this game. Taking into consideration that After Dark has 88% positive reviews on Steam (which is literally amazing for a DLC) we are still very satisfied with the contents and reception to that update.

So, how are those Steam ratings looking for Snowfall? Looks like 10 or so upvotes over the 100+ most recent reviews. Or would you like to post another marketing line about being unable to please everyone? That's the downside of using positive feedback to justify developing a mediocre product--that new product gets its own feedback.

We truly want to like and support this game, but this release makes it harder to do so. I am certain that I am not the only one who either didn't but or requested an immediate refund upon seeing the way snow was implemented in the game.

Given the abundance of feedback you have received, you would have to have blinders on to A) ignore it B) now be surprised by the feedback for the game. This release has done serious damage to your brand image among your most hardcore fans (the ones that would normally snap up your games upon release).

Reactions:
Regarding 4 distinct seasons- in many places this doesn't really exist eg UK where we can have 4 seasons in one day (apologies to Crowded House). All we need is snow rain and sun. Do we really need leaves falling from trees or would all that effort be better directed elsewhere? Certainly playing on the snowmaps looks great but it does become depressing after a while- and makes me snow blind. All we need is for snowmaps to morph in to he regular rain/sun/fog map and we have the "seasons". It's mainly cosmetic, snow doesn't drift or block roads causing traffic chaos and rain doesn't cause flooding- although terra forming does. Terra form flooding doesn't affect traffic but it does impact upon function of buildings. It therefore should be fairly straighforward to introducing flooding and disruption to traffic/power outages drowning/ drop of production etc. Love the game, have over 1000hrs on the clock and all improvements welcomed apart from zombies/aliens

Reactions:
Hey there!

I played "snowfall" today for the first time... after 2-3 hours i changed back to a summer map, because i play mostly at night and it was to bright for my eyes ^^
Anyway, i read most of the posts here about the wish of four seasons and the difficulty of implementation into the game by CO.

What about the idea to put seasons on different height levels on a map?

Higher mountains = Snowfall
Flatlands = Rain
coastline = Fog

Hey there!

I played "snowfall" today for the first time... after 2-3 hours i changed back to a summer map, because i play mostly at night and it was to bright for my eyes ^^
Anyway, i read most of the posts here about the wish of four seasons and the difficulty of implementation into the game by CO.

What about the idea to put seasons on different height levels on a map?

Higher mountains = Snowfall
Flatlands = Rain
coastline = Fog

I think that would make it even more difficult since then you'd have different seasons on different parts of the same map = more to simulate. Depends on how they solve it of course but I think that would be more difficult than having 1 season over the entire map at a single point in time.

I think that would be more difficult than having 1 season over the entire map at a single point in time.

As i understood the problem are the textures and facility types when changing from summer to winter.
With fixed heights it could be easier. All winter stuff starting from lets say 128 to 255 height. Everything from 0-127 have summer textures.
I am not a coder so i dont know how difficult it is :)

Would have been so much better if it would snow in normal climates too (If The temprature is low enough offcourse) Would really love a real weather system, Which would way more complex then te current with for example if its summer stil snow in Mountains or wet snow if The temprature is between 0-3 etc . May even soms real seasons.