• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Greetings again, fellow city builders! I have great news today. As a part of free Parklife update Cities: Skylines will expand more into Tourism. In a nutshell this means that we want to give you a better understanding why and how tourists are coming to the City and which locations they visit. All this to help you make your City the number one tourist attraction!

New Tourism Info View

Tourism finally gets its own Info View and it replaces the Tourism subpanel under the Outside Connections. The new Tourism Info View provides more valuable information on tourist activity than before, as well as more detailed information of the various attractions in your City. The new panel is unlocked at Milestone Worthy Village and shows the tourist presence in the city more precisely and the Attractiveness of various buildings and areas with an Attractiveness value. This means you can now have quick and easy visualization of both where your tourists are visiting and which buildings and locations attract tourists. This helps you plan your road layout, public transportation lines and give a general idea which areas in your City are drawing in the visitors. The budget panel has also been updated with more details of money spent by tourists.

Cities 2018-04-16 10-27-50-10.png

The new Tourism info panel visualises where tourists prefer visiting.

Tourists have arrived!

We have added 10 new tourist models as a variation your citizens and to bring more ethnicity to the City streets. And the best part? New Tourists models are free content and arrive to every City that has tourists automatically! Are you ready?

Cities 2018-04-16 09-56-38-46.png

Smile! New tourist model enjoying her warm and fuzzy winter clothes (you didn't think we'd forget Snowfall, did you?)

New vehicles

With this update we are also improving how the tourists arrive to your cities. As a part of industry boom the car factories have created Vans and Trailers for Campers and they seem to be quite popular among some, more wealthier tourists. This marks a new dawn for those tourists who come to your city by motor vehicles.

And for those who (will purchase / have purchased) the Parklife DLC (Thank you by the way) we have the awesome Hot Air Balloon, Double Decker Sightseeing Bus vehicles and the Park Staff personnel jeep on top of those Camper Vans & Trailers for the pleasure of your tourists and citizens alike. We can't wait to see what you guys make out of those in the asset editor and in in-game.

Cities 2018-04-16 14-41-04-45.png

Camper Vans and Trailers are a regular sight in a City with focus on tourism. You can find them usually near different attractions.

Mascot Madness

Last but not least, someone might've already noticed little alligator and chirper mascots occasionally appearing in our screenshots. Well, that's because we have mascot models appearing with Amusement Park and Zoo buildings as a part of paid content. The mascots are there to take care of your buildings and entertaining visitors and you can also find them in Asset Editor along with Park Staff. All these new workers are there to ensure your Park Areas are kept in top notch condition!

Cities 2018-04-16 11-00-39-12.png

Chirper Mascot greets curious lookers while en route to the next Zoo building.

Camper Vans and Trailers are a regular sight in a City with focus on tourism. You can find them usually near different attractions.

Are those noise walls on the sides of the two-line streets a new thing? An if yes, are they part of the free update or Parklife (or a mod accidentally left active)?

Are those noise walls on the sides of the two-line streets a new thing? An if yes, are they part of the free update or Parklife (or a mod accidentally left active)?
those roads (the two lane highways) are specifically from Mass transit, but the 3 lane from the base game has the noise barriers version too

Highways with noise barriers have been in the game since day one, the variations you see there are from Mass Transit.
Ah, I initially thought that the roundabout in the third picture was made with two-line streets, but they appear to be two-line highways on closer inspection. The speed limit (100) and especially highway marker should probably have give that away. =P

Looking forward to this dlc- introducing loads more gameplay. Can I ban that Chirper mascot? Just wish the tourism numbers were a bit more realistic- investing so much time and effort only to find the grand total of 5 tourists visited the park last week can crush the soul!

These last two days are going to be painful...

Even more so for me... internet at current location is painfully slow. May not be able to download the DLC when it comes out.

speed test 20180522-201804.png

One of the faster results I have had. Won't be home until June.

Speaking of painful, will we be able to turn off the bird?

The "Chirper Target Shooting" booth at the Amusement Park will be especially popular. If you get a direct hit, you don't win a prize... you just feel good about it. ;)

Well, it's like you read my mind. I like that we'll be able to see a rating of the overall city attractiveness and individual building attractiveness. At least now we'll have some ideas of whether we are doing well. I can't remember from the streams, will individual tourism buildings and parks also show an individual attractiveness rating in their details view?

Just wish the tourism numbers were a bit more realistic- investing so much time and effort only to find the grand total of 5 tourists visited the park last week can crush the soul!
Soul-crushing is an adequate way to describe it ;) . Even though this new UI will at least let you know if this small number is "good" or not. I wonder what would be the best way to improve this. CO could just multiply all the visitor numbers by a factor, but then it wouldn't match the number of people you actually see visiting your park - there's something nice about the count matching the simulation you see. The fake number is actually the total population which you won't ever see in motion all at once, but I guess people would start crying if the max pop was suddenly a few thousands instead of 250,000 or so.

I guess the best way to put that number into context would be to see the number of tourists relative to the total moving actors.
Example view with made-up numbers, pedestrian count is high because the game can simulate a lot more of them than vehicles AFAIK:

AVERAGE TRAVELING CIMS PER WEEK
Pedestrians
Citizens 5000/10000 (50%)
Tourists 1000/10000 (10%)
Cars
Citizens 2500/10000 (25%)
Tourists 500/10000 (5%)
Train
Zero because train is made redundant by metro's inexpensive tunnels and Cims don't like it as much :p
Metro
Citizens 750/10000 (7.5%)
Tourists 250/10000 (2.5%)

Trucks and other traveling cargo could be shown in another view, though knowing how much of your total traffic is industrial would be nice too.

I agree that the number of tourists is too low. I mean, it's sad to see a dozen tourists wandering around in the city, if there are so many buildings and locations for them, it gives me the impression that something is wrong, many think that tourism is bugged because the low numbers. It would be nice to see more tourists in the simulation, giving more satisfaction while planning and actually building tourist based cities.

Even more so for me... internet at current location is painfully slow. May not be able to download the DLC when it comes out.

View attachment 371806

One of the faster results I have had. Won't be home until June.

Think of it this way, when you get on it, the mods will more than likely be all fixed. ;)

That's how I'm thinking of it as I likely won't get a proper go on this until next week (work sucks!)

Finally! In the whole park life DLC that is the most welcomed improvement for me!

I hope the simulation improvements will carry on in the future dlc-s and updates. Industry improvements: better technology tiers (even for housing), more realistic farm industry (If it even means the separation of agro, heavy industry, light industry, etc from a generalized industry zone - just like in the books. Of course it should be spceified by demand, education, and city size. ) Anno like production chains and air pollution with wind direction are still must have category in my opinion. In a strategy game, especially if it is a complex management game, is always important to be able to as representative and indicative of the users acitons and game status as it can be :).

Hope CO will hear that :);)