Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters - Dev Diary 2: Scenario editor

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I love this addition, both disasters and this scenario editor. I enjoy the sandbox a lot but sometimes I like a challenge and the sandbox doesn't challenge much. Early on I made a few maps where essentially a tub of water would fill and overflow across the map and when it does you need to have enough money to build a massive dam to prevent the entire city from being flooded. I'm glad there will now be more realistic ways of making these scenarios, and with other kinds of disasters or other non disaster parameters to meet.

My only criticisms are that I hope there's more to this DLC than the last ones that seemed light on content for the price to me, and I hope there is a lengthy list of possible disasters. Just copy and paste the list from SC2000 lol. I loved the variety of disasters in that game. SC4 had some good ones too but lacked water related disasters and random occurrences. Whatever you do don't be like SC5 that might as well not have had disasters; so few and a good chunk were unrealistic robots and zombies!

Reactions:
Will there be some kind of a campaign or is every scenario independent?

You showed us the possibility to add chirps based on a trigger, which is nice, and I can imagine story telling scenarios with this.
I immediately was thinking on the following from Anno 1404:

upload_2016-9-30_16-58-40.png

What I am thinking here:
Will there be some kind of basic interaction like accepting "mini jobs" from cims where you can get small rewards or unlock certain buildings like a monument/statue/figure for saving the city from a fire disaster?

Can we add sound files to a trigger for explosion effects or for story telling chirps?

That would be really nice and atmospheric but I'm afraid it's already too late for development?

Will there be some kind of basic interaction like accepting "mini jobs" from cims where you can get small rewards or unlock certain buildings like a monument/statue/figure for saving the city from a fire disaster?

you don't even have to refer to Anno 1404 for that (which was is still one of my most fav. games), they already did that in CIM ;)

they already did that in CIM

I haven't played that game. I discovered CO and with that CS last year while looking for a new city building game.
I am a bit confused regarding "already" - does this mean yes?

I looked the last 20 minutes through the internet and finally found a video from CIM2 where I saw, that there were mini missions to complete.
This would be nice, if included in the DLC.

View attachment 208564
Setting disasters markers to where the meteors will visit...
Do the disasters all have to be pre-plotted on maps, or is there a choice for the game to randomly select the target on execution? In some scripted scenarios it makes sense but more generally it seems to undermine random disasters if you know exactly where they are going to hit beforehand!

Can we get a list of all the effects besides the ones you already said?

Effects are:
- Start a disaster
- Win the Game
- Lose the Game
- Give money to the player
- Take money from the player
- Show a story message
- Chirp something

watch the twitch live stream video i posted here. they go through how the scenario editor works and you can see the options available

Omg omg omg.... I hope it's not too late, but there's something that just occurred to me that needs to be implemented with the update!
You haven't mentioned the Radio stations feature yet, so maybe it's not too late.
If it would be possible to have your own music playlist on the Cim's city radio, that would be awesome.
But... even better... in the scenario editor, include the radio station with a condition trigger, so that a pre-selected piece of music would be played on the radio at a certain event. This would really complete the scenario editor and provide another means of ambience, but one that is tailored to the current action.

Omg omg omg.... I hope it's not too late, but there's something that just occurred to me that needs to be implemented with the update!
You haven't mentioned the Radio stations feature yet, so maybe it's not too late.
If it would be possible to have your own music playlist on the Cim's city radio, that would be awesome.
But... even better... in the scenario editor, include the radio station with a condition trigger, so that a pre-selected piece of music would be played on the radio at a certain event. This would really complete the scenario editor and provide another means of ambience, but one that is tailored to the current action.

Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately we don't have support for user created audio/music files at this time, but I will add it to the wishlist!

Reactions:
You're welcome. As an example, if my city were to face imminent destruction I'd probably want to hear something as dramatic and tension building as possible. So scores such as Night on Bald Mountain by Mussorgsky or Holst's Mars, or lol if you wanted to go mad with the meteors, Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture would be excellent examples;)
As it's Halloween, I'll leave you with this, the perfect Halloween score! Now just imagine a string of disasters and listen very carefully for the church bells at the end of the piece.