Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters - Dev Diary 1: Meteors and Helicopters

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Co_Karoliina

Developer
Oct 1, 2010
www.colossalorder.fi
Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters Dev Diary #1

As we have already shared with you guys we are working on the next expansion for Cities: Skylines and it’s time to get up close and personal with the new features. Natural Disasters is a very interesting expansion to work on and we hope it will be even more interesting to play! We have already announced there’s going to be disasters, scenarios and new and improved city services, but we’ll start with the ones implemented at this time: Meteor strikes and helicopters. The meteor strike looks awesome, but not only that, it also has many effects on the city. Helicopters tie into that, but are also usable in other ways.

c4PFxx1.png

One of the first disasters we came up with was the meteor strike. A flaming rock from space falls down and strikes your city! What could be cooler? Only that it has a complex effect, not just cool visuals! So when the meteor is approaching the city, there’s things you need to know. How big is it? A meteor strike has severity of 1-10, where one is a small quite harmless space rock that will just take out a couple of buildings when it hits. A meteor strike with a full ten points of severity makes a huge crater, wiping out any buildings, roads, water pipes and such in the impact zone, and sets buildings on fire around the crater. The crater actually modifies the terrain, which means after dealing with the most urgent aftermath, your city might have a big crater in the middle of it. The crater can be utilized, you can build a bridge over it or soften the terrain with landscaping tools and zone the area again.

The more immediate consequences are the fires and destroyed buildings. The fire mechanic has been adjusted, so fire spreads pretty easily from one building to the next. This means that if left unchecked, a large portion of the city could burn down as an after effect of the meteor strike, if you are not careful.

qw6mPpb.png

But worry not! As roads can be destroyed by the impact, so fire engines can’t make it to the affected area, helicopters come to play. Fire fighting helicopters reside in a depot separate from the fire stations. This allows you to place the depots close to bodies of water, as the helicopters need to fill up their water buckets before heading out to help with a fire. They calculate the shortest route possible so they can first reach a body of water, then go to a fire, and then refill bucket or return to depot, if no more fires are present.

There are also helicopters for healthcare service, police and Disaster Response Unit. The helicopters have different functions. The ambulance helicopter basically picks up patients from hard to reach locations and takes them to a hospital. Disaster Unit Helicopters take search parties and rescue dogs to destroyed buildings to make sure no one is left behind in the rubble. Police helicopters patrol the city, reducing crime rate, but do not pick up criminals like police vehicles. The different helicopters will also be used when the traffic doesn’t allow ground vehicles to get to the destination fast enough.

iPmFhky.png

NXq4M91.png

We are currently working on the system that will decide if a service will use a helicopter or a ground vehicle. It seems that looking into traffic congestion data would be the best way to go, but this feature still needs some iteration, so the logic might change. The ground vehicles calculate their route while taking into account the traffic, but the system cannot predict how the situation will change when they are on their way. The main point of helicopters is still to help get services to the places in need fast and efficiently. Having less emergency vehicles on the roads will also lessen traffic congestion, which will then shorten the time it takes to get to an emergency. Careful balancing is needed so this doesn’t become a “pendulum motion” so that traffic is slow then helicopters are taken into use, which then helps traffic, and services switch back to ground vehicles, which then clog the traffic, so they switch to helicopters and so on. So, while your city can be pelted with asteroids, you can help your citizens out by having helicopters at the city services’ disposal. And they even work when the only disaster happening is clogged roads :)

Disasters, disaster related services and helicopters all play in together, and also have an impact on other game play. We’re expecting that helicopters will help out a lot in cities with traffic problems, and with disasters they are very much needed as the roads can get damaged.

We are looking forward to your feedback and can’t wait to share more about Natural Disaster in the upcoming weeks! There will be a new dev diary coming your way every other week until the release and don’t forget to tune in for the usual CO word of the week between the dev diaries!

All the best,
Karoliina

Reactions:
helicopters are noisy too, aren't they? o_O

Reactions:
The new features sound great!
But I have to ask: what about forest fires?
I always thought is was strange that trees wouldn't burn, and now that emergency vehicles (helicopters) can put fires without using roads, well... :)
As for fire engines leaving the road, I will remind you of it by the time of Cities: Skylines 2...

Reactions:
That's awesome and everything but it would've been nicer if the roads looked destroyed rather than just disconnected, which really looks bad i my opinion...

Also some ideas for the disasters, though i bet u guys already made them: 1. Hurricanes, 2. Earthquakes, 3. Floods, 4. wild fires will be awesome, 5. obviously tornadoes, and nuclear melt down will be awesome too :)

Reactions:
Looks awesome! It would look even more awesome if the roads showed some damage instead of just getting a magic sidewalk ;)

All in due time my friend, all in due time. We're pre-Alpha still!

sweet! a new type of dog cim! wait...unless it's just a golden retriever wearing a special jacket...LOL it's not, is it? do we get german shepherds?

There can be but one dog. I honestly don't know what breeds dogs are, I'm more of a horse person tbh.

The new features sound great!
But I have to ask: what about forest fires?
I always thought is was strange that trees wouldn't burn, and now that emergency vehicles (helicopters) can put fires without using roads, well... :)
As for fire engines leaving the road, I will remind you of it by the time of Cities: Skylines 2...

Thanks! Is it a natural disaster if forests are on fire? I think it might be, but I'm not at liberty to neither deny nor confirm this.

Reactions:
Though I am no big fan of disasters, I really liked this DD.

Depending on which other disasters you will includel I imagine that a California theme would suit this addon pretty well. Forest fires, earthquakes, droughts,... you hear that often on the news (well earthquakes regarding the San Andreas Fault). Australia also comes into my mind. For those themes I would just increase the likehood that natural disasters occur.

It's good to see helicopters ingame. But currently I think there are way too many service vehicles on the roads (especially hearses), you might want to fix that.

Reactions:
As i heard at first of desaters coming, i thought oh, no :confused:!
But now i love this idea more and more :D
Would be nice to have firefighting/police helicopters in general for villages apart from my citycenter without road connection and with/without desasters :) !
Will buy it!

PS.: I like the new ground vehicle that looks a bit like an american school bus ;)

Reactions:
Will there be a way to mitigate the impact of Meteors? i.e.: Shoot a missile at it so it breaks up and burns in the atmosphere. Use spacecraft (satellites) to bump it off course. Build an Observatory to get earlier warnings. :D

Reactions:
Thanks! Is it a natural disaster if forests are on fire? I think it might be, but I'm not at liberty to neither deny nor confirm this.

I agree, in my country, 99% of forest fires are caused by people, intentionally or not...
Technically, naturally occuring forest fires are relatively common, and in an area with little or no human occupation, they serve a very important function: they renovate the forest, starting a new cycle.
However, humans tend (with rare exceptions) to manage the forests themselves, so those naturally occurring fires (started by lightning) are put out in their inception.

Last edited:
I don't think a meteor only destroying one building is plausible. If it had that little mass, it would most likely have disintegrated in the atmosphere long ago. Can someone who knows about this stuff back me up?

Reactions:
I don't think a meteor only destroying one building is plausible. If it had that little mass, it would most likely have disintegrated in the atmosphere long ago. Can someone who knows about this stuff back me up?

You're right, most meteors are disintegrated in the atmosphere. But the ones that get through and reach the surface (they are thus called meteorites, not meteors) can have every possible size. Most of them are tiny, fortunately!
If a meteorite the size of a tennis ball strikes a building, it is very likely that building will sustain heavy damage - the kinetic energy is, usually, immense.
Change the size to that of a basketball and we're talking about a lot more destruction...

Reactions:
I like what I am seeing so far. Now the question ofcourse: Can you select or de-select what dissasters you want in the options?
I love having all dissasters but let's say you got aliens in as part of the game and I don't wish for that as I don't see that as a dissaster. Would that possibility be explored (if not already)?

Besides all that, keep up the great work!

Reactions:
I feel that fires, crime and health aren't big challenges in the game since they are basically put under control by plopping a relevant service building in the area. Will these problems get tweaks to become more prevalent so that these special helicopters will be more important?

Thank you and I can't wait to buy this!

Reactions:
Love those helicopter models! *coughb206 coughmi8 cough*

Anyway, especially I got a question: Will I be able to create new helicopters in editor INCLUDING the rotors? - As we cannot mod wind turbines yet (cause we can't edit / change the animated part) that would be my first and probably only question by now :)

PS: New bus spotted! (it's some disaster service bus, right? Looks like some school bus :D )

Last edited:
- The fire mechanic has been adjusted, so fire spreads pretty easily from one building to the next.
- So, while your city can be pelted with asteroids, you can help your citizens out by having helicopters at the city services’ disposal. And they even work when the only disaster happening is clogged roads :)
Pretty much the best highlights of this DLC/patch so far :)

Any word on how many of similiar disasters are you planning out? For sake of variability I hope they aren't just three or so (hoping at least for tonado, earthquake, floods (caused by heavy rains), droughts or even blizzards/water freezes for Snowfall).

Even smaller ones without heavy scripting needed and with localized impact (utilizing new event system or universal maintenance vehicle) would be great. And I guess you already do have some systems needed to do these without much effort.
Imagine clogged sewers that would need to send repair vehicle, crashed industry vehicle that would block one street for a while, unhappy citizens demonstrations, and so on.

Wonder what happens when asteroid crashes into nuclear plant though :D

I have one other question though. On the second pic I see demolished building laying on the ground. Will this rubble be generic one or are you actually using the same (only deformed) models of actual buildings with scorched texture instead of regular one?
I'm asking cause I'm curious whether mods will work fine with this destruction mechanic or if they would need to be updated for new alpha channel to support this DLC.

Last edited:
Reactions: