• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ever wanted your citizens could easily switch between transportation types? With new hub buildings, now they can! There are several types: Ferry Bus Hub for ferries and buses, Monorail Bus Hub for monorails and buses, End-of-Line station and multi-platform station for trains that also have a metro stop, and the ultimate hub which has train, monorail and metro stops. The idea behind the hubs is that placing two stops or stations close by to allow citizens to transfer wastes time and space, so having a hub with several types of transport on one lot is very efficient. When citizens can switch transports easily on the same lot, they do not need to find their way to another building, possibly hindering traffic while doing so, as they might need to cross roads. You don’t even need to connect all transport types the hub supports, it can be used as a regular stop on station and you can keep the other transport options for the future. The bus hubs support many lines on one hub building. Both the Monorail Bus Hub and the Ferry Bus Hub have several platforms for different lines to stop at, so your buses don’t have to line up to queue to one stop.

007.png

Monorail Bus Hub

The new railway buildings, the end-of-line and multiplatform stations, have the possibility for different lines to you different platforms. This, combined with the new setting for accepting or not accepting intercity trains, gives much more control over train traffic. No more trains lining up to get to a station, they can have their own lanes! And as there are also one-way train tracks, there are even more possibilities.

001.png

Multiplatform train station

002.png

Trains on many platforms

And my absolute favourite features: stop signs and choosing if intersections have traffic lights! Before it was just that whoever went first in an intersection got to go. Now you can have a say in this. When in the Routes infoview, when you zoom in on an intersection, small buttons pop up. The center one controls if the intersection has traffic lights or not. If traffic lights are off, you can place stop signs to choose who goes first. Basically all traffic coming from behind a stop sign needs to actually stop before proceeding to the intersection. I have found this to be especially useful in roundabouts (well, that is kind of expected, as the game roundabouts used to not work like IRL roundabouts) when you can let the busiest street feeding the roundabout enter freely and have others stop. Or when you want a main street, where traffic has right of way, and all intersecting roads stop before joining. For this, there’s a shortcut, because it simply is not fun if you have a very long road and would need to go and click on each stop sign at each intersection. When you click on the road name, you can not only re-name it, but also set it as a priority road. This automatically sets stop signs to every road joining the selected road. By turning priority road off, all signs are removed, but you can also set priority on and then just go and remove a couple of signs if you feel that helps traffic best. The road will no longer be a priority road, meaning that the setting is off, but all of the signs set by the setting are still there and you can adjust them manually.

012.png

Stop signs in an intersection

If managing intersections is not your thing, you don’t ever need to touch the intersection rules. But if you are like me and can spend hours on adjusting the road network to get the traffic to work perfectly (though there’s always something to tweak, as the city needs change with aging citizens), you might really love this feature. The changes are instant, so you can try different combinations, then observe how they work, and adjust. The traffic reacts fast.

013.png

The naming of Cool Street

And as I mentioned naming roads, that is also a thing now! Every road gets assigned a name when the update is installed. If you want to change a name, just click on it, the logic is the same as with everything else in the game. Clicking on the name in the info window lets you rename basically anything it the game. If for some reason your road is cut up or the system does not understand what you need to be one road, you can adjust it by choosing Adjust road in the info panel and redefining what is considered to be one road.

Road names, intersection settings, hub buildings… I do hope you are as excited for this expansion as I am!

PS. Try naming a road Steve. It’s fun, I promise!

EDIT: Changed yield rules to stop signs to make the feature clearer. I had used the term yield, when in the end we went with stop signs, not yield signs. Sorry about that, totally my fault!

Cheers,
Karoliina

Lead Designer of Cities: Skylines

Attachments

• 005.png
    005.png
    3,9 MB · Views: 1.291
Last edited:
For someone who uses trams the most of all public transport this is hugely disappointing. We spent money on the SF expansion but still get left out. You could easily have tram hubs but have people require both SF and MT, or best of all, put trams in MT for those who aren't interested in SF!

It looks nice to me! My translation to FR : http://cities-skylines-france.blogspot.fr/2017/05/mass-transit-carnet-de-developpement-pt.html

@Zed68, tu devrais être plus reconnaissant envers les devs qui font du bon boulot et qui écoutent la communauté (pas comme d'autres!). C'est fatiguant de lire ta rage à chaque fois.
tu peux exprimer ton désaccord mais bon, il y a l'art et la manière.... tu ne crois pas ? Et puis là, c'est une explication assez concrète :

I edited the dev diary to be more clear, sorry about the mix up with yield and stop signs! We internally have been calling the intersection settings "yield rules" but ended up going with stop signs. The cars actually stop at a stop sign and only then can proceed to the intersection area, and if there are other vehicles there when they need to enter the intersection, they will try to wait until there's enough room. The game world is based on an imaginary North American city. In North America yield signs are rarely used (they also don't have that many roundabouts) and they use stop instead to make sure drivers take the time to observe other traffic before entering an intersection. Stop and yield signs are not that often used in big, busy cities, but more on the countryside in less busy intersections. We chose the stop sign as it fit our traffic simulation best, did not cause the need for the simulation to become much heavier, and it suits the type of intersections cities in Skylines most often have. We have done a lot of testing on this, and while the best way is not to place stop signs on all entrances into roundabouts, they can be used to control traffic and make it run a lot smoother in all types of intersections. Sorry for being unclear, the diary is now updated!.

Ils ont encore bossé sur le trafic et la circulation, c'est cool, non ? :)

Sorry for the French speaking, guys but that was needed...

@CO : Congrats again, you made the best city builder ever now!

Last edited:
@co_martsu will this update still include changes to the canals and the emergency right of way? I only ask because this comes out next week and I haven't seen it in any of the development diaries in detail yet. (Unless we're getting another diary before release?)

Seeing those interchanges makes me think of the hub-and-spoke opportunities that are presented! I am imagining my new city right now...

Are there multi station tracks with less than 10 platforms?

It looks nice to me! My translation to FR : http://cities-skylines-france.blogspot.fr/2017/05/mass-transit-carnet-de-developpement-pt.html

@Zed68, tu devrais être plus reconnaissant envers les devs qui font du bon boulot et qui écoutent la communauté (pas comme d'autres!). C'est fatiguant de lire ta rage à chaque fois.
tu peux exprimer ton désaccord mais bon, il y a l'art et la manière.... tu ne crois pas ? Et puis là, c'est une explication assez concrète :

If the Google translation is correct, i agree to both of you (more or less) ;).

Off topic: @Zed68: Any chance for new buildings? Yours are some of the best looking ones! :)

why are tose cable cars looking so "strange"? maybe because they are not "balanced" right for he gravitation so people within the cable cars are falling into one side of the cable car.
on steep mountains, this would look extremely strange...

But they didn't listen to us...

I'm very happy about the street naming, I'm very happy about the emergency vehicles now behaving better... (but it took them two years to fix an obvious problem that many of us weren't happy with from even before the game release).
And here they add something... but miss the point !

What can you say then ? ;)

Edit : and again about the "listening to us" part... did they listen to us about the sun color since after dark ?
The color variation system bug took ages to fix, they wouldn't even listen, boformer had to tell them too and they listened to him.
And there's a bug I'm mentioned for months, one that must be simple to fix... and is there since release... but not even an answer in the thread.

Last edited:
I agree about the lack of tram related stuff. Surely there's some way to ascertain if someone owns Snowfall and can access the tram stuff that could come with an expansion like this?

A tram/monorail hub for instance would be an obvious way to go for instance seeing as both stations are in the middle of the avenue. Combination tram and monorail tracks would also look cool, especially as I only really plan to have the monorail in my city centre while the tram serves the majority of the metropolitan area.

I agree about the lack of tram related stuff. Surely there's some way to ascertain if someone owns Snowfall and can access the tram stuff that could come with an expansion like this?

I am curious about the number of people who have purchased the expansions. I'm sure it would be possible to have stuff like this be in game for those who have both SF and MT. The question is, how many people will have both? And would that justify the effort to make them?

I'm really excited for this DLC, it will really get me back into the swing of playing Cities: Skylines. A quick question, that I'm sure has been asked over and over, however. Will the Grand Central Terminal, for those who have the Deluxe Edition, be functional in the coming expansion/patch? I know that there are version on the Steam Workshop and stuff, but I would really like to see the Developers perspective of how it would look and be like. Thanks again and keep up the great work!

@Zed68 i understand you too - me too i have some request to them - things undone such as that unfixed killer eyed pollution for example but sometimes you sound like "too much".
But yeah what would I do without no radioactive desert mod and Clouds & Fog Toggler mod... ("would I still play the game" is the real question @Co_Karoliina )

Now saying they don't listen to the community, I have to disagree. They do but then, decide what they think as best. That's different.
(although the guys behind SC2013 didn't listen to the community at all until later and that was almost too late)

Now @Co_Karoliina : That policy saying "mods are" then "so good, no need to work on" can be sometimes wrong. Mainly when you think that game can be played for +10 years.
You have to think straight about comfort for the gamer and other matters that could...or would be essential for gamers.

For example, I would like bigger zoom 1st person, you sound like "no, not possible" OK then even I think that's a pity...
but things like opportunity for better comfort available with the no radioactive desert mod and cloud one unavailable in-game... Truly, I don't understand you.

So yeah, CO, think straight about that, and @Zed68, be softer :)

Last edited:
I am curious about the number of people who have purchased the expansions. I'm sure it would be possible to have stuff like this be in game for those who have both SF and MT. The question is, how many people will have both? And would that justify the effort to make them?
I would guess quite a few. Trams were one of the main drawpoints of Snowfall. Those who are interested in mass transit probably will have bought it for that reason.

I can't speak for all of North America, as I live in only a very tiny part of it. So I guess that makes this "anecdotal".

We have had Yield signs, in small quantities, for as far back as I can recall (I am 45). Triangular, with one point down. Old ones were yellow with "Yield" written on it. Newer ones are white with a red border. For a time the new ones had "Yield" written on a sign under them or in the middle of the triangle, so people understood them in the transition period.

roundabout yield.png

Roundabout nearest me.

Roundabouts are a new thing around here in general, at least for smaller ones. There were two large ones that existed as far back as I can recall, though one of them was replaced by a parclo (partial cloverleaf) probably 30 years ago, and it functions much better that way. I am aware of 5 small ones and one larger one within about 100km of me, and all use YIELD signs.

Getting the choice lights or stop sign makes me happy as this is an improvement. However, if we could get the Yield sign in addition to Stop or lights, I would be extremely pleased, and I know many others would be as well.

@Zed68 i understand you too - me too i have some request to them - things undone such as that unfixed killer eyed pollution for example but sometimes you sound like "too much".
So yeah, CO, think straight about that, and @Zed68, be softer :)

I know, I know... when I'm happy I'm very happy...

wE59F0Y.gif

but when I'm not or when I feel a subject needs attention but doesn't get it...

id8pZ9C.gif

Also citybuilders are pretty much the only games I play... so I'd like this one to be perfect and I have a hard time seeing something going wrong with CSL when I think things could be better.

;)

Poor poor update for such a great game and the million of users who bought it... not that many road types, nothing for the subway (like multiple subway stations), no métro options, nothing about elevated metro, nothing on double track train stations, nothing about transport depots, nothing about airports, it's Mess Transit ! (Mainly summing up what has been written on the 'Some disappointment ont mass transit' forum)

Last edited:
Zed68 : Yeah, I see.

IGetting the choice lights or stop sign makes me happy as this is an improvement. However, if we could get the Yield sign in addition to Stop or lights, I would be extremely pleased, and I know many others would be as well.

Thank you Fox_NS_CAN for giving one nice example. :)
and I liked your post overall, nice!

I edited the dev diary to be more clear, sorry about the mix up with yield and stop signs! We internally have been calling the intersection settings "yield rules" but ended up going with stop signs. The cars actually stop at a stop sign and only then can proceed to the intersection area, and if there are other vehicles there when they need to enter the intersection, they will try to wait until there's enough room. The game world is based on an imaginary North American city. In North America yield signs are rarely used (they also don't have that many roundabouts) and they use stop instead to make sure drivers take the time to observe other traffic before entering an intersection. Stop and yield signs are not that often used in big, busy cities, but more on the countryside in less busy intersections. We chose the stop sign as it fit our traffic simulation best, did not cause the need for the simulation to become much heavier, and it suits the type of intersections cities in Skylines most often have. We have done a lot of testing on this, and while the best way is not to place stop signs on all entrances into roundabouts, they can be used to control traffic and make it run a lot smoother in all types of intersections. Sorry for being unclear, the diary is now updated!

Gothamer, the road naming uses a different system that the road segments, it is pretty adept at identifying for example a long road with lots of incoming roads without cutting the road in sections. The adjust road tool is a safety system for the occasional situation where the naming system would not identify a road the way user needs it to be identified, and allows for some extra creativity. What the system understands as one road is also what will be affected when the road is named or marked as priority road. A road must have two ends (or no end, if it is circular) and it cannot fork. The basic system is that you can click and drag the end of the road marker to adjust what is one road. Any areas left without road assignation after adjusting will become new roads.

in North America yield signs are more found on side streets (subdivisions, neighborhoods...) never on a MAJOR street with businesses. i'm guessing your visits here...you've never been down side streets....

I am SUPER pumped for this DLC.

As for the yield signs thing, here in Florida I only ever see them on roundabouts. And they're common enough that one should know the rules of yield signs/ roundabouts. But also uncommon enough where a driver could go a significant amount of time without ever encountering a yield sign or roundabout. So I'm not too miffed about the lack of yield signs.