• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We at Colossal have a long history of doing games with public transport. Cities in Motion and its sequel are all about building and managing a public transportation system in existing real world cities. Naturally we are very excited to get to expand the transport systems in Skylines too.

Mass Transit is not just about new transportation methods. There are numerous improvements to traffic and public transport. Train stations can be set to accept or not accept intercity traffic, so you can decide if trains coming from outside the city stop at all stations or maybe use just one where passengers can then transfer to other transportation modes. Selecting a line now shows a list of stops and the amount of passengers waiting on each stop. A new slider allows for more detailed adjusting of how many vehicles each line gets from the shared budget. One-way train tracks can be used to better define where you want trains to go without any extra tracks taking up space. A whole new info view has been added to help you find out where citizens are going to and from.

devdiary-trainsation.png

A passenger train station which can receive intercity trains

Traffic routes info view

Open Traffic Routes info view and click on a citizen, vehicle, building or road segment to see a visualization of trips. If you have chosen a citizen or a vehicle, you can see where they are coming from and what is the destination as usual, but now this information is visual and you can also see the route they are using. Buildings and road segments highlight trips made to and from them, so it is easy to see where the traffic is coming from. Visualization allows you to quickly swap between selections and instantly see where the traffic is coming from. This information is very useful when for example you are looking a a segment of road that is prone to traffic congestion. Finding out where traffic originates can help you plan alternative routes or separate trips from different areas to different roads, so there is more capacity available.

devdiary-trafficroutes.png

The piece of road showing in green in the middle of the screen has been selected while the info view is open. Trips made through it recently are painted on the map. Pedestrians and vehicles are in different colours and can be filtered in the info view legend panel.

Visual aids to road building

Building roads is a big part of the game, so it should be even more intuitive and easy. While the road tool is very flexible and allows for all kinds of interesting intersections, there are now improvements to the basic use. New line guides and dots help you place roads just where you want them to be. The lines show distances between roads and how existing roads would continue. Dots mark places where you can start building a road at a 90 degree angle and get the zoning grids to meet perfectly with no gaps. There are many exceptions to these basic rules, but the main point is that when building roads, there is a lot more visual information available, so the dream road grids will be easier to build. These visual aids are something I’m personally very excited for. The team has played the game so much that naturally we almost always get the zoning spacing right, but it does still feel frustrating when its one square too much to the side and you have to cancel the road and try again. We will have much less of that when Mass Transit comes out!

devdiary-visualaids1.png

When building a road connected to an existing road, you can now see its angle compared to the existing road, as well as guide dots on where to place roads for zoning to have no gaps.

devdiary-visualaids2.png

The road tool now has a circle around the cursor circle to signify where zoning will will be marked. Blue dashed lines mark how existing roads would continue.

Public Transport improvements

As mentioned, passenger train stations now have a new setting. When you have outside connection train tracks coming to your city, you can now choose where the train will stop. Previously trains stopped at all encountered stations, which could end up in very slow train connections. Having more control over where trains stop helps a lot with this.

devdiary-modifyline.png

Passengers view shows the amount an location of passengers on a line. The blue dots are vehicles on the line, also showing their maximum capacity. Stops show the amount of passengers waiting for this line on a stop.

When you select a line, you can see in the line info panel all the stops and vehicles on the line. Both stops and vehicles show how many passengers are on board or waiting on a stop. Vehicles also show the maximum capacity, so you know if they are full or not. The vehicle markers move between the stop markers, so you can basically see the whole line easily at one glance. This helps you identify bottlenecks so you can check more closely where passengers are going to and why are they packing into one station. Or you can see if some stop is almost always empty, maybe it can be removed or it needs some lines feeding passengers to it.

Free update

As usual, the DLC pack will come with a free update which has all of the features listed in this text. For even more features and content of the DLC pack, check out the next Development Diary in a couple of weeks!

Cheers,
Karoliina, Lead Game Designer on Cities: Skylines

Will it be easier to extend or edit lines as well?

At the moment it's a pain to edit any existing train/bus route.

For example, if I have a line running from station A -> B -> C ->B -> A, and I then build a new area and want to add station D to the equation I can't just extend the line to make it A -> B -> C -> D -> C ->B -> A without removing the whole line and re-do everything.

• 1Like
Reactions:
For example, if I have a line running from station A -> B -> C ->B -> A, and I then build a new area and want to add station D to the equation I can't just extend the line to make it A -> B -> C -> D -> C ->B -> A without removing the whole line and re-do everything.
You don't have to redo the entire line because of that, it would be stupid. To add a stop to a train line, click on the colored line and drag it to the new station (you also need to add the return stop to C). It's a bit rough over long distances though.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Looks great so far!

One thing that I have been begging for (that I hope is yet to be announced) is some kind of fare system similar to that of CIM and if not that complex, just a fare system.

The Imprived Transport plugin that someone made is no good as the citizens are happy to pay 1000s in fares.

Also how about bigger stations with multiple platforms, that would clear bottlenecks too.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm glad that useful things from mods are finally getting incorporated into the game in a free update, even though the modders' implementation is often superior due to better UI or greater functionality. For example, Fine Road Tools has angle snapping and angle correction, and allows road height control in 1m increments.

I am also concerned that we're getting yet another form of rapid transit that's incompatible with existing forms, undermining the entire usefulness of the game's mass transit options. In the game, we now have:
  1. Metro, which runs only underground;
  2. Trains, which run above, below, and on the surface, but do not integrate well with ordinary roads;
  3. Trams, which run integrate well with ordinary roads but do not have any support for elevated & underground stops.
A fourth mode - monorails, will be quite useless for actually managing traffic. Is there any chance we might see additional support for trams, like elevated and underground tram stops and more tram roads (possibly with trees this time)? Ideally, trams and metro should be merged, since there's no meaningful real-world distinction between the two.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As the saying goes, 'shut up and take my money!'

Seriously, though, way more stoked about this expansion than any of the previous three. More ability to control traffic is awesome. No more massive train conga line going in and out of the city - provided there are similar tools for cargo trains.

Visualization for both traffic patterns and mass transit lines wrt. traffic looks very cool indeed - if I understand right, it even spaces out the distance between the stops in the interface as well as the vehicles on it? That'll help in determining which stops to put an 'express' route along, too.

I think the only thing I'll crave after Mass Transit hits would be prefab miniature roundabouts (that can be put in an intersection without killing tons of space around it, or at least doesn't take up zoning space against the roundabout itself). The smallest roundabout I can make currently is a sharp-circled one built with highway onramps (for both speed and no adjacent zoning), and it's not small enough.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Impressive suite of new free features. Can I raise my concern at the difficulty to read the figures on the road tool- font needs to needs much larger if its to be of any use. Also need length as well as angle

• 1Like
Reactions:
This all sounds great. I hope by disabling intercity trains on several trains stations also fixes trains clogging up caused by outbound connections.
There are workarounds for this eg. maintain a separate inner and outer train network, but that's not the best solution because of additional overhead - connect both train stations by road. one way train is great, there are a lot of situations were one way trains are the ideal solution.

One thing to mention: I'd like to see in the traffic route info view a difference between industrial and commercial trucks. It looks like it's combined to "Trucks".

• 1Like
Reactions:
Finally we can see the angle of roads while building them. But i have one question: In Precision Engineering we can easily change the road angle by 5 degrees by pressing one button (usually Ctrl). Will there be similar option in this patch?

• 1Like
Reactions:

My recommendation is to pause the game first (so everyone doesn't go running out of the station at C). Grab the little circle at the end of the route at C and drag it to D and release. Go back to C, zoom in if need be, and grab one line and release it at station C, then do the same for the other line. Unpause. Cims may cross to the other side of the track.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Passengers view shows the amount an location of passengers on a line. The blue dots are vehicles on the line, also showing their maximum capacity.

Blue dots also showing that we still need a "vehicle unbuncher".

• 1Like
Reactions:
Blue dots also showing that we still need a "vehicle unbuncher".

This is a much needed feature!
We don't need vehicles on the line that all follow in a row

• 1Like
Reactions:
Great and nice improvements. :)

Posdata.- I hope that stations and harbor "cargo" do not forget to add to give more information. For example, incoming / outgoing goods (valid as reference of use and comparative among them). Now they say nothing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
There is one more thing you have to remember CO - we need possibility to add vehicles to the line (just like IPT mod). There are tons of busses, trams and trains in the Workshop, so let us decide how many and which one we want to see on each line. Let us decide about capacity of vehicles - especially these from Workshop. There is no sence when busses spawns randomly - i.e. low capacity bus to busy line. I hope you agree with me.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sounds awesome.
However many of the mass transit station mods will need to be modified to rectify these new options. I wonder if CO will support multi platform stations this patch?

• 1Like
Reactions:
So many things from mods here.... I guess it's good that those features are going in to the vanilla game. Will the modders get some kind of mention or credit?

Yes, those mods that we have taken inspiration from will get their creators credited in the game.

Don't think so. It would anyway be great of you guys @CO to include something like this in the DLCs description like "Inspiration provided by steam members boformer (Local Only Stations), Don'tCryJustDie (Improved Public Transport), BloodyPenguin (One-Way Train Tracks), Lazarus Man (Network Extensions 2 / One-Way Train Tracks [New Version]), PropaneDragon (Road Namer), Lisa Lionheard (Traffic Report Tool) and Simie (Precision Engineering) :)

Probably you also could provide those guys a free copy of the transportation DLC, just to honor their hard work :)

We do work closely with the modders and those who already are in the modding beta get early access to the game and get a free copy of the expansion. The features that have been inspired by the mods are in the free update part. It wouldn't even cross our minds to charge for those features as it would be ridiculous. These are features that we have noticed from a mod, investigated and find to be essential for all the players.

The mods we took inspiration from are at the moment:

Local Only Transport Stations by boformer
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=638786709
Precision Engineering by Simie
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=445589127
Road Protractor by Oelderoth
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=436253779
Traffic Manager: President Edition by LinuxFan
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=583429740
Traffic Report Tool 2.0 by LisaLionheart
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408092246
Toggle Traffic Lights by Craxy
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411833858

Why doesn't for example PropaneDragon get a credit for his Road Namer in this context, you might wonder. The reason is that we have wanted the road naming in the game for a long time and did not look into mods for inspiration. I'm pretty sure there are tons of mods that do things we have implemented or are planning to implement and the creators will only get the glory of making those before we had the chance :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
All looks and sounds wondeful!

Great to hear about the modders as well, they deserve it.

Next question is WHEN do we get our hands on this beauty?

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions: