Cities: Skylines is not a great game and not a city simulator

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKersh

Corporal
73 Badges
Jan 21, 2013
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Cities in Motion
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Knights of Honor
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Darkest Hour
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
I am sorry for what I am going to say, but today, Cities:Skylines is at best, a pretty mediocre game with undeserved praises and review scores, and people will see it on a few days.

- The game doesn't have good graphics, old games like cities XL or 2013 have much better art and models, even night and day.

- It's extremely simple and easy, it lacks of basic features. It's not a city simulator but a road building one with minor gimmicks added, even on hard difficulty money flows, it's impossible to fail.

- The public transport is a non-sense, pretty limited in options and just works by spamming stops

- Citizen simulator is non-existent, they teleport to work, home, or moving around the map, and their live expectancy is ridiculous. They are always happy and +85% have higher education. Remember the pollution on simcity? And the riots because of it?, well on skylines citizens doesn't know what the hell is. Candyland doesn't have problems for you or they don't bother at all. Not even crime affects a lot your neighborhoods.

- Tourism doesn't have any importance, just like almost anything on the game.

- No disasters means no challenge at the long run, playing is easy. The fires doesn't even move between buildings.

- Traffic is crap, seriously, it is a complete crap that doesn't work as should.
And even with red zones the citizens doesn't bother and they are still happy. And more hilarious when cars just simply disappear.

- Road options are super limited, not even tunnels (I know about the future, I talk about now). Everything must be constructed near a road, even parks.

- Policies are also pretty limited, you can't even choose between density zones for industry or commerce, or make industrial districts with lower education, hell the game doesn't even ask for it to play. The global simulation is pretty light, your options doesn't have a lot of importance, and when they do they are just basically 3 standard tactics to make your city grow and no other will work, well, no other because no other options exists.

- No terraforming

And a lot more.

Some will hate me for say this, but this game is vastly inferior to SC4. Also, is not at the same level of SC2013 or XL on a lot of things, and after some hours when you finally see the light and that the game is just a cities in motion with some light touches of city simulator but all of them pretty light and bland, the disappointment comes. Is not a +90 game, is not even a +70 game. Not exactly the same kind of game but Tropico 4 or Anno 2070 literally destroys this game at all levels, much more deep games where you can play like 30x the time you'll put on Skylines.

Also, even if the dev promises 234908243 updates and dlcs, I have doubts that with an engine like unity and its limits to make huge games, will work at the end. And if it does, just buy it in the future not today as there are better options. With skylines we will end spending 250€ just to have a game that can compete in options with older ones.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I think its is a pretty decent game. But, as times goes by, its flaws are becoming more evident. Skylines is not the wonder the early reviews said, but its not a terrible game. IMO its, right now, a 7 out 10..maybe with 6 months of patches and mods this can become a really good simulator.

I agree with you on most of the stuff. I think the graphics is really good though, but gameplay before graphics.
First I was kinda amazed by the game. Could this be the city building game that I have been waiting for since SimCity 4? But after a couple of hours and city around 20k+ everything feels as fake as in SimCity. Man, the simulation felt better in SimCity actually, education led to high tech industries and so on... not parks.

Yeah, after playing several hours sadly I must agree with You. It's easy, besides traffic, and some illogical mechanisms.
OTOH this is a PDS game. It will be further developed, so I really hope in a patch or two it will get much better. EU4 was also not that great at the begining, but till patch 1.7, maybe 1.8 it got better and better. Hopefully this will be the case for C:SL.

I am sorry for what I am going to say, but today, Cities:Skylines is at best, a pretty mediocre game with undeserved praises and review scores, and people will see it on a few days.

- The game doesn't have good graphics, old games like cities XL or 2013 have much better art and models, even night and day.

- It's extremely simple and easy, it lacks of basic features. It's not a city simulator but a road building one with minor gimmicks added, even on hard difficulty money flows, it's impossible to fail.

- The public transport is a non-sense, pretty limited in options and just works by spamming stops

- Citizen simulator is non-existent, they teleport to work, home, or moving around the map, and their live expectancy is ridiculous. They are always happy and +85% have higher education. Remember the pollution on simcity? And the riots because of it?, well on skylines citizens doesn't know what the hell is. Candyland doesn't have problems for you or they don't bother at all. Not even crime affects a lot your neighborhoods.

- Tourism doesn't have any importance, just like almost anything on the game.

- No disasters means no challenge at the long run, playing is easy. The fires doesn't even move between buildings.

- Traffic is crap, seriously, it is a complete crap that doesn't work as should.
And even with red zones the citizens doesn't bother and they are still happy. And more hilarious when cars just simply disappear.

- Road options are super limited, not even tunnels (I know about the future, I talk about now). Everything must be constructed near a road, even parks.

- Policies are also pretty limited, you can't even choose between density zones for industry or commerce, or make industrial districts with lower education, hell the game doesn't even ask for it to play. The global simulation is pretty light, your options doesn't have a lot of importance, and when they do they are just basically 3 standard tactics to make your city grow and no other will work, well, no other because no other options exists.

- No terraforming

And a lot more.

Some will hate me for say this, but this game is vastly inferior to SC4. Also, is not at the same level of SC2013 or XL on a lot of things, and after some hours when you finally see the light and that the game is just a cities in motion with some light touches of city simulator but all of them pretty light and bland, the disappointment comes. Is not a +90 game, is not even a +70 game. Not exactly the same kind of game but Tropico 4 or Anno 2070 literally destroys this game at all levels, much more deep games where you can play like 30x the time you'll put on Skylines.

Also, even if the devs promises 234908243 updates and dlcs, I have some doubts that with a engine like unity that it's limited to make huge games will works at the end. And if they do, just buy it in the future not today because you have better choices for your money. With skylines we will end spending 250€ just to have a game that can compete in options with older ones.

What's your point? I don't know what you expect - it's a city builder and it lets you do just about what you want. For me that is perfect. If you don't like, don't play it.

Reactions:
At this point, the game can't be compared to SC4, but it's way better than SC2013 (this one can't be considered a city builder, there were never cities, just small blocks).

Anyway, it is a shallow game at this moment, with no depth, but if CO takes the right approach and has the will to reverse some of their decisions they took for the game, it can be great. And if the modding community has backup from devs, it can become a SC4's rival. That's what I'm waiting.

Reactions:
The game doesn't have good graphics, old games like cities XL or 2013 have much better art and models, even night and day.

Cities XL runs like a toaster trying to compute spacecraft navigation. 2013 had a tiny map. I don't see your argument there unless you can actually compare the game to a contender.

honestly i have to agree with you. as broken as simcity 2013 was, at least it didnt feel so bland... i get a city of 50,000 going, and feels like the whole city is dead, and theres nothing going on. honestly, im really disappointed with this game. i dont think i will even log as many hours as simcity 2013... thats kinda sad lol. i really hope they improve alot of things in this game, because there are alot of things i do like about it. but the simulation itself, kinda sucks, and has to be improved.

It was never going to be everyone's cup of tea because the city building crowd is pretty diverse, you have extremely hardcore to the most laid back casual so it was obvious some people were going to miss out and be disappointed. Me personally I am enjoying it immensely, so much so I haven't played EU4 or football manager since release. I also think this games has bags and bags of potential but I do feel for the OP if the game is not to his taste after the hype.

It may not be perfect but it's the best city simulator we have yet.

Aye, some agreement there. I'm a bit reminded of Banished, that also received great reviews and then after everybody had figured out how to make their village survive ... well, basically nobody touched it again. It just was the right thing at the right time, and I suspect this is too. Especially since many reviewers don't really seem to remember the things you could do in SC4. ^^

But at the same time it's not even a full-prize game (compared to most), runs very smoothly and certainly can be expected to improve with some patches and mods. It's good, just not stellar.

It was never going to be everyone's cup of tea because the city building crowd is pretty diverse, you have extremely hardcore to the most laid back casual so it was obvious some people were going to miss out and be disappointed. Me personally I am enjoying it immensely, so much so I haven't played EU4 or football manager since release. I also think this games has bags and bags of potential but I do feel for the OP if the game is not to his taste after the hype.
Well, there is this new thing called "difficulty levels". And no, hard mode isn't it (it changes too little).
Basically we got "very easy" and "easy" modes in C:SL.

Well, I find it much better than SC 2013 just because I can actually build a city.

If I compare it to first version of SC4 ... it is not that bad.

Cities XL i hated passionately, because you can't almost call that a game... it seems more like tool for making nice cities. It was boring as hell though.

But I would say that while as basic product is not better than SC4, there are mods already that make it better. Today I seen the first mod that turns off teleporting of cars. And I am sure that in time there will be harder hardmodes. And yeah, true hardmode is really needed.

I would say that there are not really better games like this ... SC2013 is just bad. SC4 is old and I do not really like building on the grid. Cities XL is work of satan. Tropico or Anno are completely different types of games i think. And all of those games are completely destroyed by Dwarf fortress that even got no graphics.

So unless you want to play 12 years old game over and over again, this one seems the best there is.

Well, there is this new thing called "difficulty levels". And no, hard mode isn't it (it changes too little).
Basically we got "very easy" and "easy" modes in C:SL.

Well that is your opinion I personally enjoy the challenge, although I am not great at city building games. So trying to improve how good I am at planning etc is the difficulty for me. I am also not very creative with city layout so I keep challenging myself to get better. However I will agree that cash flow needs to changing because I constantly in profit never need to take a loan and never feel in danger of going bankrupt. Not like in past games because of my deficiencies at city building games cash flow was always an issue. (Although I had the same experience in SimCity maybe I am just improving I don't know)

This game is good. The concept is really nice, of course largely inspired by the good old SimCity4 but it brings everything to a whole new level (the dynamic water system is really amazing!).

I enjoyed the game a lot so far, had some troubles with a few details like inability to effectively ban the highrise buildings from emerging after some time (even if I put them in a district and apply highrise ban, they still upgrade to really tall buildings), or the problems with setting up a huge industry without clogging my traffic completely, but in the end I can say I'm rather happy with how the gameplay feels.

Unfortunately, I am not really happy with building models. I am constantly keeping my city zoomed out to the point where I can't see too many details because quite honestly, the models look too childish and plastic somehow. I wish there was more "grunge" and more organic feel to certain areas, especially the farmland and industry. Residential buildings look OK, while commercial ones are really weird and definitely overdone with banners and billboards.
I know, nothing is perfect, but I really wish there were more "earthly" buildings, like normal looking stadiums, huge industry zones that don't feel repetitive etc.
In the end, it will be a task of the modding community to bring us all these features, and knowing how awesome the SimCity4 modding community was, I'm really looking forward to seeing some graphic overhauls and many new industries, building models, props etc.

All in all, this game feels really good and considering it was done by a rather small team of people, I really appreciate all the hard work they've done. If they had more resources and more time, I'm sure they would've done much better, but that's why we will look forward to more expansions that will broaden the features of the game.

What I'd love to see in the future (in the form of Free updates because quite obviously the game has made quite some money so far):

- Tunnels
- Better traffic simulation, as in more dependency between different public transportation systems, less trucks in industrial zones (it's ridiculous how many trucks I see in my rather small industrial zone)
- Highrise ban that actually works and limits buildings to 4 story height
- Bigger industries, something like spawnable 10x4 size buildings that actually feel like a huge industry.
- Better commercial building models, less "Tokyo" feel on them if possible.

Also, in the future DLCs I'd like to see:
- Terraforming options
- More raw materials & more industries
- More railroad functionality (to somehow connect the cargo transport between industries and ports by using a more advanced railroad system, that would be a really good DLC)

Reactions:
Well that is your opinion I personally enjoy the challenge, although I am not great at city building games. So trying to improve how good I am at planning etc is the difficulty for me. I am also not very creative with city layout so I keep challenging myself to get better. However I will agree that cash flow needs to changing because I constantly in profit never need to take a loan and never feel in danger of going bankrupt. Not like in past games because of my deficiencies at city building games cash flow was always an issue. (Although I had the same experience in SimCity maybe I am just improving I don't know)
Well, yes, thats pretty much what I meant, but maybe I was a bit too hard. It's "easy" and "a little less easy".
You're saying You're rather unexperienced in such games, and it's a challenge for You (I assume not too big though, it's still fun for You). And there should be a difficulty level for, sorry for the expression, newbies. But there should also be smth harder. To be honest when I started playing city builders (SC2000 I think) normal difficulty was too much for me. I'm not saying "raise the difficulty" but rather "implement different levels of it", so it's fun for ppl who are new to this genre (or relatively new) and for more experienced players.
What? No.
Potato potato (hell, it's not good to write it:p). They are publishers, so it is their game in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.