• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello, greetings and welcome to today's Cities: Skylines Industries expansion Dev Diary! Topic of the day is Post Office City Services and something that I am sure many of you have been waiting for, the Cargo Services! With Industries DLC we've added multiple types of Warehouses and couple of Cargo Airports to help your Industry Areas and cities operate more efficiently. Post Office City Service will be making your citizens more happier than ever! But now it's time to get a better look at what we are here to talk about.

We have again a nice tutorial from TwoDollarsTwenty:

All the tutorial videos will be available on this playlist at Paradox Interactive YouTube channel!

Note: Tutorials were made with a beta version of the Industries so you might notice some differences compared to the Dev Diary screenshots.

Cargo Services

Industries expansion offers new ways to manage traffic and logistics with the new cargo services that tie naturally into the industrial theme. New cargo services include a variety of Warehouses, Cargo Airport and the mighty Cargo Airport Hub.

For Players who have purchased Industries expansion the Warehouses can be accessed through the reworked Garbage and Industries construction menu. All of the new Warehouses are located in their own tab handily named "Warehouses". Warehouses store the goods produced by the processing buildings, Unique Factories and even can store goods from zoned industrial zones! Purpose of the Warehouses is to act as a buffer between the factories and commercial zones to prevent any material shortages. Warehouses also help with the logistic by acting as cargo hubs transporting the products in and out of the Industry Areas. For better control over the traffic the warehouses can be placed inside and outside of Industry Areas.

Cities 2018-09-28 09-51-27-53.png

Even though small in size, the small Warehouse Yard can store impressive amounts of resources!

Warehouses are unlocked at Milestones 3 to 6 depending on their size and storage. The smallest of them all, the Warehouse Yard, is unlocked at Milestone 3 (Tiny Town). All warehouses have three different operating modes; Balanced, Fill and Empty. "Balanced", which is a default mode, aims to keep the storage half full and half empty. With "Fill" mode the Warehouse tries to keep the storage full by acquiring the resource by all means necessary, this can mean importing, own production or acquiring the resources from another warehouse. As for the "Empty" mode it tries to keep it as empty as possible by any means necessary, either through selling, redistributing the resources to another warehouses or sending the resource to a Processing Building in need. Just remember that the results may vary depending on supply and demand for the resource, a good example for that is when processing buildings produce more materials than the factories (zoned and unique) demand, the surplus production is transported and stored in the warehouses. And when the Industry Areas or Industrial Specializations cannot meet the demand for materials, the warehouse storage's are used. It is worth mentioning that special goods and luxury products can't be imported, but Warehouse can still store locally produced special goods and luxury products.

I'd also like to sharpen the difference between Raw Material Storage Buildings and Warehouses. Both of them have same modes and function very similarly, but the most important difference between them is that raw material storage buildings can only store Raw Materials such as Crops or Oil while warehouses can't store them at all! So keep that in mind while planning out your Industry Areas.
smile.svg

For a new way to export and import raw materials and goods, Cargo Airport and Cargo Airport Hub are available. The Cargo Airports have a big capacity to transport cargo, but just like with the warehouses the import and export are based on demand and surplus of the Industrial Areas and zones. To avoid traffic on the roads the Cargo Airport Hub even has a built-in cargo train station that works really well with Cargo Train Stations. Both of these can be accessed via the Transport construction menu under the Planes tab.

Cities 2018-10-11 16-42-44-51.png

Perfectly balanced Warehouse. As all things should be.

Post Office City Service

Next, to you fellow mayors, we want tell more about the new City Service called Post Office City Service which is a part of paid content in upcoming Industries expansion. Post Office City Service is here to answer for your citizens need for post services. When unlocked at Milestone 4 (Boom Town) all the buildings in your cities start accumulate mail. So it's a good thing that you can manage this extra layer of city-management with new Post Office City Service buildings; Post Office and Post Sorting Facility. Post Office building is unlocked along with the service at Milestone 4 and it is designed to handle the mail more locally. Post Offices handle the local mail delivery and collection by sending out Post Vans which will then drive around the city delivering and collecting mail before returning back to the Post Office. Additionally Post Offices will roughly once a month send out a Post Truck to Outside Connections, that is if you haven't built Post Sorting Facility.

Cities 2018-09-27 16-47-50-62.png

Your friendly neighborhood Post Office, ready to serve!

Post Sorting Facility is designed to handle large amounts of mail and excels with handling the Outside Connections. When a Post Sorting Facility has been built the Post Offices in your city will forward the mail to Post Sorting Facility which will then send the mail to Outside Connections. Post Sorting Facilities can also distribute mail to local Post Offices. Both Post Office and Post Sorting Facility can be found from Transport construction menu under the new "Post Service" tab.

So what do you as a Player get from all of this? Well, depending on how well the city's Post Service is handled the citizens will gain boost to their overall well-being and become even happier than before. You also get to benefit and modify the new buildings models as well as the new model of Post Vans and Post Trucks in the Asset Editor. Hopefully the new Post Vans and Post Trucks come together with the new service so we don't end delivering the mail with doughnut vans. In addition of adding new Info View for Post Offices, from where you can easily see how well the post service is doing, we've also modified the Outside Connections info view to include all the vehicles carrying mail.

That's all for today's Industries Dev Diary. We hope you have found it highly informative and we hope to see what you dear Players can make with these new features. You can take a screenshot showing your results and share it either through the Paradox Forums, Reddit, Twitter or Instagram!

Cities 2018-09-27 17-05-17-47.png

It's a good idea to place the Cargo Airports to more secluded areas as they produce a lot of noise pollution!

WOW this looks like the biggest expansion yet! This will transform the game for vanilla players adding much more depth to the simulation with plenty of different elements that require continual management.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ich vermisse in dem Zusammenhang noch im selben Stil die Wasser und Strom Versorgung. Besonders Strom hätte man ja Kohle und Öl Industrie Einbringen können. So bleibt zu hoffen das es Mod bar ist und Sie auch Modder sich es annehmen. Editoren vom Spiel sind ja sowieso nur was für Englisch sprechende, da weder die Editoren noch die Anleitungen dazu Übersetzt sind ganz zu Schweigen von den Tutorials auf YouTube.

Habe zwar Ideen kann aber auf Grund der Sprache nichts Umsetzten. Naja so kann man auch Selektieren.

Aber sonst sieht es ja gut aus. Spielbar ist dann das ganze Ende Oktober wenn die Mods Geupdatet sind.

Google translation

I still miss the connection in the still water and electricity supply. Especially electricity can be brought in coal and oil industry. So it is hoped that it is mod and you also modders take it. Editors of the game are as few as possible, but the editors are not finished yet.

Have ideas, but because of the language implemented nothing. Well that's how you can select.

But otherwise it looks good. Playable is the end of October when the mods are Geupdatet.

• 1Like
Reactions:
On the pdx stream there was questions if the mail can be exported by trains or airplanes. Yes they are, also by ships :) Mail behaves similarly to regular cargo.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Finally the cargo airport is now revealed! But one question, are the cargo airports only limited to the paid expansion or it is included in the free patch?

Can't wait for the functional toll booths next.

• 1Like
Reactions:
These are part of the expansion. Next dev diary will showcase the content of the free patch.
Thanks for telling, well I've gotta add this DLC to my wishlists as the cargo airports are a must-need for cities with huge amount of exports.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'd like to clarify something. In the announcement trailer I noticed several cargo harbors lined up next to each other here. Is that necessary now to avoiding queuing? Or do ships still clip into each other like before?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'd like to clarify something. In the announcement trailer I noticed several cargo harbors lined up next to each other here. Is that necessary now to avoiding queuing? Or do ships still clip into each other like before?

We didn't do the trailer or city for it so I'm afraid I don't know answer for this one :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Does the warehouse supply surrounding factories with materials/goods instantly or is there always the truck mediator? I must say that I have been waiting for this since I bought the game. Amazing job people!

Btw. is the railway update/improvement on the menu or is it better for me to buy transport fever? :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
The whole thing seems interesting. Postal Service seems a little too much like a garbage service, but maybe there is a little more to it, so hopefully cool. I don't like too much micro-management (yeah I lean towards "painter"), but I like some, so hopefully it strikes the right balance for me. The Unique Factories sound interesting as well.

I think that the Cargo Airports will be my favorite part, too bad the Cargo Train station didn't get a multi-track station (2 sets of track would probably do, 3 at most).

Sort of put off CS at the moment. Was playing the other night and my zoo burned to the ground followed shortly after there by my nature reserve. I didn't fix or save it, just shut it off in disgust.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The new cargo airports and warehouses are exactly what I have been looking for. I try to keep my commercial airports away from densely populated areas, and it always looked weird zoning office or commercial buildings nearby, rather than have it just sit empty. These new DLC assets will be perfect not just aesthetically but also functionally, as I expect much of my city to focus on exports. Loving this DLC!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Which buildings will generate pollution and which won't ? Extracting buildings ? Processing buildings ? Every specialization or only some of them ?

What about unique factories ?
I used to live next to an industrial bakery : no noise at all, and the only air "pollution" I experienced was the smell of chocolat and croissant. Nothing that would justify a lower land value :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is possible to ban imports, so we can force our industries to use their own raw materials?
The warehouses will fix that problem. The reason you still import even with a huge amount of exports in the base game is because the windows when a production building hold onto material and when a consuming building request a delivery don't always sync up right. With a warehouse you can maintain some stock on hand at all times so the consumers will always draw from the warehouse. It will be rather easy to get zero imports with the DLC.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The warehouses will fix that problem. The reason you still import even with a huge amount of exports in the base game is because the windows when a production building hold onto material and when a consuming building request a delivery don't always sync up right. With a warehouse you can maintain some stock on hand at all times so the consumers will always draw from the warehouse. It will be rather easy to get zero imports with the DLC.

I hope you're right; my main city has been running fluctuating deficit here and there for years. I may have unlimited money on, but I still want to see profit being made. Hopefully removing all the imports eventually will help cut more costs and keep the money within the city.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I hope you're right; my main city has been running fluctuating deficit here and there for years. I may have unlimited money on, but I still want to see profit being made. Hopefully removing all the imports eventually will help cut more costs and keep the money within the city.
Fluctuating income is normal. You are losing a trivial amount of income to imports if you have industry set up properly. You need to look elsewhere if you want to fix your budget.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You have added a whole new cargo system with Industries, warehouses are great but one type of cargo? It's unrealistic in some cases it works but what if it's the largest warehouse? Normally it accepts different various products and sends them to their destination. One product in one large warehouse seems like a huge waste of space and services.
Another note, why the harbor area was not improved along with new cargo system?
There are many custom assets that help create a nice harbor area but I would expect industries to level up this, harbors are essential to cargo so it's a mistake not to upgrade them.
Maybe a future free patch?

• 1Like
Reactions: