• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

co_emmi

Major
QA
Colossal Order Dev
1 Badges
Sep 22, 2014
  • Colossal Order Staff
Greetings and thanks for tuning back to Cities: Skylines Dev Diaries once more. Today we are getting an introduction to all the free content that is being released together with Industries expansion. If you wish to know more in detail what Industries DLC includes then I recommend checking out our previous Dev Diaries.

It is also time for the last tutorial made by TwoDollarsTwenty:

Please find all the tutorials from Paradox Interactive's Cities: Skylines - Industries playlist!
Note: Tutorials were made with a beta version of the Industries so you might notice some differences compared to the Dev Diary screenshots.

Toll Booths

Yes, they are finally here, they are free and they are here to stay! Toll Booths are separate buildings that you can connect to your road network and all traffic driving through the toll must stop at the booths and pay a small fee to pass the toll. You can connect your Toll Booths to any road, though to avoid traffic congestion it helps if Toll Booths are connected to roads that have roughly the same amount of lanes. So connecting Toll Booths to your highways makes sense, right? To build your first Toll Booth you must first reach Milestone 4 Boom Town with your City. You can find new Toll Booths under Roads construction menu in their own tab and don't forget to check out the updated Advisor text for Roads as well! At Milestone 4 you unlock two Toll Booths with 4 lanes - one for one-way traffic and one with a lane going to each direction. At Milestone 6 you unlock even larger Toll Booths with 8 lanes. Once we've set up our first Toll Booth we can select it to open up the building info panel. There you can adjust the ticket price with a slider and see how many cars passed through the toll booth last week. Large vehicles automatically pay more toll fees than small vehicles. And don't worry - your city service vehicles and public transportation vehicles will automatically pass toll booths without stopping or paying. So your fire trucks can still reach their destination without any hindrances.

Toll Booths are fairly automated system which is why we're releasing a free content policy Automated Toll to go with Toll Booths. With Automated Toll policy vehicles no longer need to stop at the Toll Booth which makes passing through the booths a lot faster. Vehicles are still required to slow down while driving through and as a downside Toll Booths income is reduced by 30%. In general Toll Booths are great for controlling your traffic and adding extra payment for entering and exiting certain areas such as busy harbors or non-renewable resource areas where you want to have some control over the amount of vehicles. Toll Booths not only give your City some extra income but they also affect the pathfinding of vehicles - Toll Booths will make roads less desirable the higher the price.

Cities 2018-09-27 16-55-27-35.png

Toll Booth collects a small fee from vehicles entering Birdsong Drilling Area. "Collected funds are used to improve our workers' well-being" the Mayor claims.

Make Building Historical

Have you always fancied that certain look of a zoned building on a certain level but never been able to preserve it as the building progresses in levels? If so then this new feature is for you! Make Building Historical feature allows you to mark any zoned building as historical and preserve its style. This means marking a building as historical will lock down its level progression visually, but it will still advance in levels normally. This can be done easily through the building info panel where you can find a small check box. Ticking this box will make the building historical and preserve it's current visual look - so sadly you cannot preserve any visual appearance below the current level of your building. When the checkbox is unticked, the building will start to visually level up again until the checkbox is ticked again or the building reaches maximum level visual representation. And what about collapsed or abandoned buildings? Well you better make sure it won't happen or the historical status is forever lost!

Cities 2018-09-27 16-11-10-57.png

The Crest Family were the first residents of Lakefield and that's why their first home has been made historical by the Mayor.

Modding: Custom random names

You can now create custom name lists for citizens, districts and spawned buildings as a part of the free update. Name lists are tied to custom map themes and are part of Theme Editor. Just open Naming Properties menu found in Theme Editor and let your creativity roam wild! Two check boxes allow you to Override Default Names and Separate Male and Female Last Names if you wish. You can even give custom names to specialized zoned industry buildings so you can match them to your Industry Area's name. Handy!

Cities 2018-09-28 10-44-57-24.png

I can now give custom names to districts, commercial buildings, office buildings, residential buildings and industrial buildings!

Even more free stuff!

On top of the free content mentioned above there's plenty of new, free things available in Asset Editor too. For example, did you like the new fruit trees you saw in Fruit Fields? Then you are in luck! New models of trees are available in Asset Editor as a part of free update so you can now easily create fruit fields of your own. New models of cargo train cars are also available and you can spot the updated train cars hauling goods in and out of your cities. It's now quick and easy to recognize the goods that are moving through your city by cargo train - logs, crops, animal products, ore and oil each have their own train car. You can also find new effect markers in Asset Editor: Dust marker, Ore debris marker and Sand debris marker to spice up your assets. We have also added new colors to Flood Light sources; dark blue, green, pink and turquoise to offer more variety and customization options.

And with this we wrap up our Dev Diaries regarding Industries DLC. Remember that the expansion will hit the stores already tomorrow! To help with the wait check out the trailer if you haven't already and keep on building!

Last edited:
This update includes a lot of the stuff I remember being talked about, and requested, in the forum. It feels nice to know that PDX and CO are listening.
Standing by for another leap forward tomorrow!

I don't have this free update. What could be wrong? I have CS set to stay updated, but I don't see any of this new stuff, but I did get the Park Life's free updates.

For the names list, can they be exported in? Going through manually looks like it would be very tedious, whereas if i could upload an excel sheet of say japanese names, that'd make the feature much more useable

Do you have to add random names through the UI or is there a file you can edit to create random name lists?
Is there anyway we can check import price of raw materials before placing industries using a raw material?

New models of cargo train cars are also available and you can spot the updated train cars hauling goods in and out of your cities. It's now quick and easy to recognize the goods that are moving through your city by cargo train - logs, crops, animal products, ore and oil each have their own train car.

That's great, I love little details like this.

This is probably going to be my favourite DLC so far, the new industry looks great fun to play with! But a quick question about the cargo trains, do they now pick trailers/wagons based on the actual goods they carry? Because that's what I think based on the text. It would be great since I could then take that part out of one of my mods (Random Train Trailers), the less code the better :p

This is probably going to be my favourite DLC so far, the new industry looks great fun to play with! But a quick question about the cargo trains, do they now pick trailers/wagons based on the actual goods they carry? Because that's what I think based on the text. It would be great since I could then take that part out of one of my mods (Random Train Trailers), the less code the better :p

It very much look like it - you can see some of them in this tutorial video. Now we just have to figure out how to replicate that with custom trains. :D

It very much look like it - you can see some of them in this tutorial video. Now we just have to figure out how to replicate that with custom trains. :D
Yeah, that looks pretty neat. I hope the asset editor will have the functionality for it included, would save us a bit of work.

EDIT: What is the release time tomorrow? I got the day off so... :D

13.00 CEST :)
Hmm I wish it was earlier, little time before I hit the gym, I will be anxious to come back!
But I worry that several mods will stop working correctly so it's gonna be several more days or weeks until everything works right again.

I'm curious if those toll booths will be affected by Road Color Changer or they will be grey?

As for fruit trees, trailers and industries in general I see lots of custom assets coming out from creators, different resources, products etc. :)