• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

co_emmi

Major
QA
Colossal Order Dev
1 Badges
Sep 22, 2014
  • Colossal Order Staff
Greetings and welcome to today's Cities: Skylines Industries expansion Dev Diary! Today we will go through Industry Area Leveling progress which was introduced with the Industries DLC. As some of you already know that there are four different types of Industry Areas you can create. All Industry Areas can reach up to level five and along the way Players will unlock new buildings and Unique Factories to go along the Industry Area. Besides just the new buildings the Industry Area gains bonuses in Efficiency and will also pollute less, but more about these down below.

Industry level tutorial made by TwoDollarTwenty:

Main Buildings, what are they and what is their role?

All Industry Areas need a Main Building. Main Building gives the area it's type and allows the level progression for the area, it also works as a headquarter for city services. Without Main Buildings the Industry Buildings inside the Industry Area will stop operating which will result in a great loss of potential income. If the policemen or a garbage truck need to pay a visit to the Industry Area they will go to the Main Building, firemen still need to go to the actual building that is on fire. So better to make sure that you have good road connections into your Main Building and Industry Area!

Main Buildings also visually match their area type, the Farm Main Building is a old fashioned farm house and yard while Forest Main Building is a log cabin with some woods around it. Main Buildings also visually upgrade when the Industry Area reaches levels 3 and 5 to better represent how your Industry Area has grown!

Cities 2018-09-13 16-54-34-64.png

Who wouldn't want to live on this good ol' fashioned farmhouse?

Industry Area levelling

After determining the type of the Industry Area and gaining the first level by building the Main Building, comes the time to kick the gears of industries into action! All Industry Areas can grow up to level five. In order to reach that maximum level and reap the profits of production chains it will require planning, resources and workers. All Industry Areas start from level one and require specific amounts of Produced Resource Units and Workers in order to advance in levels. For increased challenge, the requirements you need for each next level will increase as you progress through the levels.

Do you have your machinery oil ready to grease the gears?
wink.svg

Cities 2018-09-27 10-09-36-19.png

Hooray! Even higher profits await!

Leveling Requirements

In order to level up your Industry Areas the player need to meet the two requirements; Produced Resource Units and Workers. Produced Resource Units is the amount of how much resources the Extractor and Processing Buildings in your Industry Area have produced. Workers is the amount of workers currently working for the Industry Area, unfortunately the machines can't operate fully automatically just yet. When these two requirements are met the Industry Area can level-up!

The Produced Resource Units depend on the amount of resources produced by your Extractors and Processing Buildings over time. The more buildings you have the faster you can reach the limit but remember to be careful as not to bankrupt your city in the process! Each Auxiliary, Extractor and Processing Building offer jobs for your city's citizens. The jobs can have different levels of education needed and the more fancier and powerful buildings require more educated citizens, some buildings also provide jobs for the highly educated citizens!

Production rate of Extractor and Processing Buildings depend on a variety of different factors. For Extractors where you will place the building is extremely important as the building will collect the natural resources from ground it is placed on and for the Processing buildings it is important that they have good road connections so the Raw Materials extracted by Extractors or stored by Raw Material Storage Buildings can get there easily and in time.
If you wish to boost the production rate of Industry buildings you can also apply policies and build Auxiliary buildings to increase the production rate of Extractors and Processing Buildings.

As for how to reach the Workers requirement it is advisable to steadily grow your city along the Industry Area and to keep the citizens educated. To keep track on how much workers and how much jobs your Industry Area has to offer go and open the Industry Area Info panel, there you can find all the needed information- even the education levels for different available jobs!

Cities 2018-10-11 16-52-37-38.png

Even the Farm Industry needs highly educated citizens!

Also, have a free tip from a mayor to another, plan ahead as how you will handle your traffic in the industry areas and across your city as it will have a big role in reaching the maximum level. And for this I'm sure you will find the upcoming diary about Cargo Services interesting.

Leveling with benefits

The benefits of leveling up your Industry Areas are humongous! Leveling up your Area unlocks new buildings and offers Area-wide level bonuses to work efficiency and to pollution reduction. Bonus to Efficiency makes the industry buildings in the area process resources faster and pollution reduction directly affects how much pollution is created by the buildings in it. And just to name a few of the buildings, your Farm Industry will unlock bigger and better Crop or Fruit Fields or the highly advanced Milking Parlor to further increase the production capabilities so you can get even more profit. And with Oil Industry you get to tap into that black gold that is hidden beneath the waves with the glorious Offshore Drilling Platform.
As your Industry Area grows so does your Main Building, at levels three and five your Main Buildings also upgrades itself! Providing more job opportunities and looking and sounding more impressive, just another reason to reach that maximum level.

IndustryMainBuildingLevelup.jpg

Now this looks more like it! Ore Main Building becomes more impressive as the Industry Area gains levels.

That's all for this Dev Diary. On behalf of the whole team, we hope to see you in the next Cities: Skylines Industries expansion Dev Diary!

Who wouldn't want to live on this good ol' fashioned farmhouse?

Unless you're sneakily telling us that mixed-use is an option here... the cims.

So is there any zoning in these industrial areas or are they all ploppables? I also asked another question earlier:

Do the new industrial areas count towards unlocking the Statue of Industry, Climate Research Station and Eiffel Tower?

So is there any zoning in these industrial areas or are they all ploppables? I also asked another question earlier:

Do the new industrial areas count towards unlocking the Statue of Industry, Climate Research Station and Eiffel Tower?

Industrial Area buildings are all ploppable and they don't count towards the Statue of Industry, Climate Research Station and Eiffel Tower I'm afraid.

Industrial Area buildings are all ploppable and they don't count towards the Statue of Industry, Climate Research Station and Eiffel Tower I'm afraid.

Shame. The climate research station in particular is tough to unlock because it requires a disproportionately high number of farms in your city. With ploppable factories taking up a sizeable portion of your industry, these unique buildings will become even more unreachable. I recommend you lower the requirements to unlock these three unique buildings in the next patch. They'll be virtually unobtainable otherwise.

Hmm... 435 employees in one ranch and it's only level 2!
This looks like a very useful population sink to deal with very high levels of unemployment. It also means you'll need PLENTY of housing to support it!

index.php

Shame. The climate research station in particular is tough to unlock because it requires a disproportionately high number of farms in your city. With ploppable factories taking up a sizeable portion of your industry, these unique buildings will become even more unreachable. I recommend you lower the requirements to unlock these three unique buildings in the next patch. They'll be virtually unobtainable otherwise.

You don't have to do all that in one city. Just build one with a lot of zoned farms to unlock it and it will be available in all your other cities.

Speaking of mixed-use, will agriculture provide any positive land value? There’s loads of people that enjoy living near farms, after all.

I have a question, besides RAM usage, how many CPU processing power this DLC eats to a existing CPU with DLC's? I wanna do some benchmarking tests but it seems that performance decreases over time even there's no update, while it could be on the CPU slowly dying due to being used for over 6 years.

You don't have to do all that in one city. Just build one with a lot of zoned farms to unlock it and it will be available in all your other cities.

That's not the point. I reset unique buildings between cities and try to unlock them again. It's part of the fun. This new DLC will only make those three unique buildings harder to unlock when they suck up industrial demand.

That's not the point. I reset unique buildings between cities and try to unlock them again. It's part of the fun. This new DLC will only make those three unique buildings harder to unlock when they suck up industrial demand.
then you should be happy to have a bigger challenge

Actually, since the game is designed in such a way that you can unlock them over several cities, it is a point. They weren't designed to be unlocked in one city, but you choose to do that. Great that you enjoy doing that, but that wasn't the intended way to do things, so it's gonna come with more challenges. That's the whole point of you resetting it anyways right? The extra challenge? It isn't impossible to unlock, you just have to work towards some of the goals some of the time instead of trying to do them all at the same time. You could focus on unlocking that one unique building and once that's done change to another goal or the new types of industry.

What you're asking for is kinda like someone enabling Hard Mode, then asking for the game to be made easier. You decided to make things more challenging for you and you can still obtain your goals. If you don't like the challenge you set for yourself, then don't do it and don't reset the unlocked buildings between each city. ;)

Actually, since the game is designed in such a way that you can unlock them over several cities, it is a point. They weren't designed to be unlocked in one city, but you choose to do that. Great that you enjoy doing that, but that wasn't the intended way to do things, so it's gonna come with more challenges. That's the whole point of you resetting it anyways right? The extra challenge? It isn't impossible to unlock, you just have to work towards some of the goals some of the time instead of trying to do them all at the same time. You could focus on unlocking that one unique building and once that's done change to another goal or the new types of industry.

What you're asking for is kinda like someone enabling Hard Mode, then asking for the game to be made easier. You decided to make things more challenging for you and you can still obtain your goals. If you don't like the challenge you set for yourself, then don't do it and don't reset the unlocked buildings between each city. ;)

*sigh* You're still missing the point. Why do you think CO added the ability to reset unique buildings in the first place? It's to appeal to players who value the reward in unlocking as many unique buildings as possible when building a new city. Contrary to your claim, the game is designed that way if the player so chooses. If you previously unlocked unique buildings in a different city, it negates the challenge on unlocking them anew.

I'll give you an analogy: Imagine you're playing a Mario game where the fun comes from unlocking new levels. Sounds fun, right? Now imagine you've unlocked those levels in a different save file. So when you start a new game, those levels are already unlocked and there are no more secrets to uncover. Not fun.

I'm not setting a 'hard mode' for myself. Unlocking unique buildings was manageable before, but this new DLC will make three of them practically unreachable. All I want is for CO to rebalance the requirements. Is that too much to ask?

Last edited:
Shouldn't industry areas pollute more if they're producing more once they level up?
It depends. Really, it should be a net zero. Though looking at the stats for more for example, you get 8% more or for 20% less pollution. I guess leveling could be representative of new, cleaner/efficient mining practices?

It depends. Really, it should be a net zero. Though looking at the stats for more for example, you get 8% more or for 20% less pollution. I guess leveling could be representative of new, cleaner/efficient mining practices?
Not if they are working more efficiently/have installed counter measures!
I suppose. It just seems like too many benefits without any of the drawbacks. Perhaps if pollution reduction were relegated to expensive policies instead of an automatic free benefit, it would pose more of a challenge.

*sigh* You're still missing the point. Why do you think CO added the ability to reset unique buildings in the first place? It's to appeal to players who value the reward in unlocking as many unique buildings as possible when building a new city. Contrary to your claim, the game is designed that way if the player so chooses. If you previously unlocked unique buildings in a different city, it negates the challenge on unlocking them anew.

I'll give you an analogy: Imagine you're playing a Mario game where the fun comes from unlocking new levels. Sounds fun, right? Now imagine you've unlocked those levels in a different save file. So when you start a new game, those levels are already unlocked and there are no more secrets to uncover. Not fun.

I'm not setting a 'hard mode' for myself. Unlocking unique buildings was manageable before, but this new DLC will make three of them practically unreachable. All I want is for CO to rebalance the requirements. Is that too much to ask?

You put yourself in this situation, you have at least 2 ways to solve it yourself, yet you want CO to make changes because you don't like where your choices got you. I would honestly rather they spend their time on other things.