• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

physvlad

Recruit
21 Badges
Oct 23, 2021
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities in Motion 2
Mixed Zones

I think it would be nice to have mixed zones in the game, when in one area you can have different types of buildings without extra manipulations. More than that we have buildings with mixed specialization (for example, buildings with shops and apartments or with shops & offices, etc)

MZ.JPG

Fig. 1​
- Green - residential area
- Blue - commercial area
- Turquoise - offices

MZ1.JPG

Fig. 2

Height restrictions

In my opinion, it would be logical not to divide the zones into high and low density zones. The density of the zones should depend on the services provided and the available urban infrastructure. To limit the load on the area, you can adjust the maximum height or number of storeys of buildings on which the number of residents /employees / customers depends.

HR.JPG
Fig. 3​

• 2Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
I like the first part of your idea, in fact is was actively thinking of posting something similar with hotkey uses (none: mixed zones, Shift: overwrites zoning, Ctrl: open only, right-click and drag: removes only the activally selected zone). but, I would suggest restrict mixed zoning down to only two else the complexity will become overwhelming to account for.
Zone mixing allows buildings from either zone populable building sets and a third set that can only appear with that particular combination of zones (ie. dual use properties). The property will switch only if demand overcomes the value of removing and replacing existing building (thou there is a high likelihood it'll become a mixed use building over a full switch)
I would keep the zone density that way mixing can produce medium`isk zones and other interesting combinations. PS: I'm still brainstorming this list

Light Residential + Dense Residential = multi-family apartments and condos
Light Residential + Light Commercial = small mom&pop stores with home back/above
Dense Residential + Light Commercial = small store with apartments blocks back/above
Dense Residential + Dense Commercial = Large store with apartments blocks back/above
Light Residential + Light Industrial = small faculty with home back/above (typically a local distributor that Lives on-site)
Light Residential + Dense Industrial = contractor temp houses
Dense Residential + Light Industrial = small faculty with apartments blocks back/above
Dense Residential + Dense Industrial = worker temp apartments (poor conditions)
Light Residential + Office = office space with home back/above (local bank branch or legal office)
Dense Residential + Office = office space with apartments blocks back/above (local bank branch or legal office)
Light Commercial + Dense Commercial = Large store with small stores intermixed (think a mall with a major retailer and many smaller shops)
Light Commercial + Light Industrial = auto and fabrication shops, the sort of commercial that produces things on-site
Light Commercial + Dense Industrial = stores attached to a large facility that cater to both large and small consumers
Dense Commercial + Light Industrial = big-box stores, that take-up large spaces like warehouses
Dense Commercial + Dense Industrial = large heavy commercial such as car factories
Light Industrial + Dense Industrial = shared space industry, one building multiple companies
Office + Light Industrial = Light R&D
Office + Dense Industrial = Heavy R&D
Office + Light Commercial = Banks and Financial Institutions (the type that sells financial assets)
Office + Dense Commercial = Big Banks and Investment Capital

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: