• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Syd Dys

Recruit
Dec 18, 2020
Describe your issue
New Game disabled on main menu

What is your game version?
1.13.2-f1-e12

What expansions do you have installed?
(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

What mods are you using?
No mods

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
I have recently installed the game from EPIC Games on a new installation of Windows 10.
When I run the EPIC Games launcher, it runs the Paradox Launcher that then runs Cities: Skylines.
When the game is loaded an error message pops up stating:

An error ocurred
Object reference not set to an instance of an object [System.NullReferenceException]
Details:
No details

The legal disclaimer is loaded, then the "What's New" pop up and when the main menu is displayed the New Game option is disabled (greyed out).

I have attached the output_log file where it looks like there is an issue with the plugins library EOSSDK-Win64-Shipping.dll, and the DxDiag report as well.

I have tried all the solutions provided online (running as administrator, open the game windowed, reinstalling and verifying the installation, reducing the resolution, etc) but nothing worked.

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.
Yes, I run again the launcher and the same error message is shown. The legal disclaimer is shown every time, and the "What's New" pop up as well even if I check the "don't show again" checkbox.

Attachments File(s) attached

Attachments

• output_log_.txt
    93,5 KB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    65,5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
Here I have the same thing. Downloaded the game from EPIC games and when opening it theres an error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" then I have to agree with Terms every time I open it again and again. Then theres no New Game or Load Game button, they are greyed out. Also nothing shows up in the theme list, map list, can't create a theme, can't create a map.
Every setting I change such as graphic options, sound options gets reset when opening the game again.

Looking for help in the Youtube, turns out that Steam had a problem like that, was solved by running the game as administrator. But Epic has no option for that, and even have no option to open the game folder to find the executable.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Here I have the same thing. Downloaded the game from EPIC games and when opening it theres an error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" then I have to agree with Terms every time I open it again and again. Then theres no New Game or Load Game button, they are greyed out. Also nothing shows up in the theme list, map list, can't create a theme, can't create a map.
Every setting I change such as graphic options, sound options gets reset when opening the game again.

Looking for help in the Youtube, turns out that Steam had a problem like that, was solved by running the game as administrator. But Epic has no option for that, and even have no option to open the game folder to find the executable.
I was able to get to the Cities.exe file. I ran it as administrator, but still had the same result.

For anyone having this issue, please attach both the output_log.txt and DxDiag.txt here? Then we can take a closer look at what happens.

The output_log.txt can be under the game's installation folder in a folder called Cities_Data.

And here's how to create a DxDiag.txt
  1. Open your Start menu, Cortana or Search
  2. Type "dxdiag" in the search field (without quotes)
  3. Click on the dxdiag program
  4. A window called "DirectX Diagnostic Tool" should pop up now
  5. Wait until the green bar at the bottom-left has disappeared
  6. At the bottom right-hand side, click on "Save all information"
  7. Save it to a place where you can find it easily, for example your desktop
  8. Attach this file to your reply here

Through the Epic launcher I installed the unreal engine. Then I reverified the files for Cities Skylines. Once that was complete I tried to open CS via the epic launcer and it worked. No startup error. I was prompted for the disclamer only one more time. and I have stuff in the content manager.

Through the Epic launcher I installed the unreal engine. Then I reverified the files for Cities Skylines. Once that was complete I tried to open CS via the epic launcer and it worked. No startup error. I was prompted for the disclamer only one more time. and I have stuff in the content manager.
I tried this. Didn't work for me.

What I noticed browsing log files is that most people with such error were trying to run the game on hardware below game minimal specs, which may suggest they've never had to install such redistributables - common, required for most of the modern games.

1.13.2-f1-e12 is well the Epic version, and not Steam (wrong title) - do you have also the steam edition installed ?
The title was edited by Paradox Forum, I titled the post "New Game disabled on main menu" the Steam part was added by the forum.

As suggested by Maddognkc, I installed the unreal engine from the EPIC launcher and now Cities: Skylines is working.

It looks like there is a library missing or not working from the game installer, but installing a 12GB tool just to fix a library is an overkill.

Hope this fix works for the rest until the game is patched.

The title was edited by Paradox Forum, I titled the post "New Game disabled on main menu" the Steam part was added by the forum.

As suggested by Maddognkc, I installed the unreal engine from the EPIC launcher and now Cities: Skylines is working.

It looks like there is a library missing or not working from the game installer, but installing a 12GB tool just to fix a library is an overkill.

Hope this fix works for the rest until the game is patched.
You don't need unreal engine, it's overkill... Just install redistributable from link I posted two comments above. It seems to have what's necessary to run the game.
Actually if you uninstall Unreal Engine game should still work, since redistributables are almost never uninstalled automatically once installed along with any application