Cities: Skylines (Epic Games) - Bus lines are broken and buses despawning

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ruslank122

Private
Mar 23, 2023
Describe your issue
Bus lines are broken and buses despawning

What is your game version?
1.16.1-f3

What expansions do you have installed?
(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

What mods are you using?
Precision Engineering, CSL map view, Move it, Roundabout Builder, Broken Nodes Detector, Network Anarchy, BOB, Hide crosswalks, intersection marking tool, Loading screen mod, More vehicles, Network Multitool, Node Controller, TMPE

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
I tried to load the save only with Harmony and loading screen mod, but all I got was a gray screen

After updating the game to 1.16.1, and updating most of the mods, I noticed lots of "disconnected" pop-ups on various bus stops that kept showing up and disappear, heavy reduction in passengers amount, and heavy traffic near the bus depot. After investigation I understood the buses keep despawning, and new buses were spawning all the time

I tried to remove (deleting from mods folder) a few mods (such as CSL more limits, Road builder + adaptive network), rebuilt all the lines from scratch, reset TMPE config, didn't help. Probably the save file is corrupted since the update

Thanks
(btw is there a way to go back to 1.16.0?)

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.
Just play the save

Attachments File(s) attached

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    12,2 MB · Views: 0
  • НовоеСохранение11.crp
    28,4 MB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    538,7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
That's weird, I'll try that! Thanks for spotting it out
See if deleting the asset works.
You might also need to get rid of the existing pathing errors with the Transfer Manager mod (if it’s available to you). You enable the mod, then open it up in the options menu in-game. You can then delete the bugged path units in the “maintenance” tab.
Worst case, you might have to reload an older save from before the update (create a backup first)

• 1Like
Reactions:
See if deleting the asset works.
You might also need to get rid of the existing pathing errors with the Transfer Manager mod (if it’s available to you). You enable the mod, then open it up in the options menu in-game. You can then delete the bugged path units in the “maintenance” tab.
Worst case, you might have to reload an older save from before the update (create a backup first)
Thank you so much for the advice! You saved my city! I "downgraded" the quays and used the Transfer Manager mod which released about 200000 path units, now the city slowly recovers.
@co_avanya @MarkJohnson the problem with breaking public transport was caused by the new quay with trees, it was using all the path units breaking everything. It needs to be fixed.

I appreciate yours all help
(The issue is solved for me)

• 1Like
Reactions:
It seems the PathUnits overload is being caused by the new “City Quay” asset (the walkable quay with trees). Deleting all instances of this quay seems to work for me.

Large service points from P&P might also cause similar issues, but not to the same extent.

I have to thank chibi0815 on the CS subreddit for spotting this one!

Interesting!!

I have the same problem in a new city I build and i heavily used the new quay in a downtown area..... I am going to load up the game now, and try this. Will report back here....

Okay, reporting back on the above.... I did a full replace of the new "city quay" asset, and used the RON mod to replace it with just the standard vanilla "quay". Almost immediately the path units leveled off at around 90,000 and stayed there..... this is still WAY too much for my new city (under 10k citizens), so I want into Tranfer Manager CE Options, to maintenance, and used "release broken pathing", and it reported that it had released 72,000-ish path units. Then went back and monitored path units.... and it went down to around 13000 to 15000, and sorta stayed there.

I came to this forum searching for answers. I always heavily use trams, even early in the game (I play unlimited/unlocked), over buses.... so I figured that what is happening to people's buslines MUST be the same as what is happening to my tram and metro lines. And sure enough, after only replacing the NEW city quay with the default vanilla one.... solved everything.

Conclusion: The new city quay asset is horribly broken. We have seen this before with the taxi-ways in the Airports DLC, they would slow down the game to a crawl until they finally released a patch.

@co_avanya @MarkJohnson - y'all got some fixin to do! Good luck!

Interesting side effect since typing this..... My city population had some issues growing, and while typing this with the game running...... my city population has grown from 9k to about 16k. I had quite a few high residential units "plopped" that were never filling fast..... now I think I know why. Path units ~14k right now.

TL;DR: New city quay is broken (horribly broken) and needs to be fixed.... I know NOT to use it until then.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I tried, but when I create a collection I get an "Access denied" error, which makes sense since I don't own the game on Steam...

Well, the list of mods are incomplete on the google page. I cannot load the saved game at all.

Thank you for the saves and additional information. If anyone else has this happen in unmodded saves, please let me know. Unmodded saves have fewer variables and make it easier for us to investigate an issue like this.

Can’t speak for myself, but on the subreddit there have been multiple vanilla and console players reporting the same problem.

It should be fairly easy to recreate by laying down the new city quay in an established city and linking it up to pedestrian traffic. As soon as you do this, the PathUnits should start shooting up.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Can’t speak for myself, but on the subreddit there have been multiple vanilla and console players reporting the same problem.

It should be fairly easy to recreate by laying down the new city quay in an established city and linking it up to pedestrian traffic. As soon as you do this, the PathUnits should start shooting up.
We've had no luck recreating the issue doing this, so additional vanilla saves or steps in recreating the issue would be very helpful.

That’s strange. One theory I’ve read is that it might be related to bikes not being able to travel along the quay, so maybe you need to have After Dark active and link up on both ends with bikeable paths as well.

Unfortunately, I’m not really in a position to recreate the issue in vanilla until the weekend (real life keeping me busy). I can ask for volunteers on the subreddit though.

That’s strange. One theory I’ve read is that it might be related to bikes not being able to travel along the quay, so maybe you need to have After Dark active and link up on both ends with bikeable paths as well.

Unfortunately, I’m not really in a position to recreate the issue in vanilla until the weekend (real life keeping me busy). I can ask for volunteers on the subreddit though.
I don't own any DLC in the game, but the issue occurred for me. So it not the bikes
I'll try to create a vanilla save with the bug

I did a full replace of the new "city quay" asset, and used the RON mod to replace it with just the standard vanilla "quay". Almost immediately the path units leveled off at around 90,000 and stayed there..... this is still WAY too much for my new city (under 10k citizens), so I want into Tranfer Manager CE Options, to maintenance, and used "release broken pathing", and it reported that it had released 72,000-ish path units. Then went back and monitored path units.... and it went down to around 13000 to 15000, and sorta stayed there.

Conclusion: The new city quay asset is horribly broken. We have seen this before with the taxi-ways in the Airports DLC, they would slow down the game to a crawl until they finally released a patch.
I can confirm the city quay asset is a/the problem. I was "beautifying" my river to create a long riverwalk area in my city of 147k. Shortly after placing the city quay asset along the river, my transportation lines started breaking. Airplane arrivals slowed tremendously and commercial buildings started complaining about not enough goods... that's just some of what I noticed. I downloaded a mod that would allow me to monitor limits and sure enough I was maxed out on Path Units.

Ive tried several suggestions from the Steam community and here. One suggestion was to get the Transfer Manager and use the maintenance tools there as well as TM: PE and Broken Nodes. The other suggestion was to remove any pedestrian areas, especially any large service points. Those suggestions sort of helped but the path units were very erratic going from 99% to 20% to 40% to 89% and so on every few seconds. I was not interested in removing any part of my city to find the problem as it just occurred seemingly out of the blue. Then I happened on this suggestion. Removed the new city quay asset and my path units are at a steady 45%. Which is reasonable for the number of people, city size and transport options.

Thank you @maarten_714 ! Now I can get back to building the largest city I have ever accomplished in the 8 years of playing this game.

Thank you for the saves and additional information. If anyone else has this happen in unmodded saves, please let me know. Unmodded saves have fewer variables and make it easier for us to investigate an issue like this.
vanilla player here (already posted saves pre- and post- patch). When I destroyed every city quay in my Los Ricos save, transport lines immediately repaired themselves. When I didnt build them in Lakedale save, my public transport continued to be without problems. Curious, but it really seems the city quay was main culprit

We've had no luck recreating the issue doing this, so additional vanilla saves or steps in recreating the issue would be very helpful.

I have not played in vanilla since 2016 or so, so I am not going to be much help unless I start a brand new city..... I do not know if this helps, but I own ALL DLC (100% including radio stations), and I always have the "encourage biking" policy enabled, and 90% of the roads I lay down have bike lanes on them, as well as a massive network of bicycle/pedestrian paths throughout the entire city so that all places can be reached.

The new city quay is supposed to have pedestrian traffic for sure, but maybe also bicycle traffic. When i placed the new quay and started building my city, I noticed NONE of my citizens were using the quay, even though I had pedestrian paths connecting to it on 20+ places, AND the quay on one side of the city is definitely the shortest route to get to another part of the city on foot or bike. Instead, they would use the nearest road which has a slightly longer route. Could be a speed limit thing (do bikes travel faster on roads?) but you would expect at least ONE citizen to get on that quay and walk a bit.....

I monitored that for some time for that reason only, I did not discover the path unit issue until later. Removing the new city quay and replacing them with one of the quays of the CCP that has them worked though. I used the BOB mod, replaced them all in ONE swoop, and *poof* path units normalized.

I play on Steam, usually with lots of mods. I tried creating an "almost" vanilla city to try and recreate the bug, and I think I succeeded.

At around 5.000 pop, I added and connected the new quay with trees, and I observed the Path Units with Watch It! Revisited: for most of the time, the number hovered around 14.000, but once in a while it got up very fast to ~35.000, and descended almost as fast. I watched this happen multiple times in just 5 minutes.

If with just 5.000 pop the number more than doubles, it's understandable that once the game uses more than 100.000 path units reaching the limit becomes very easy

Here are the few mods that I enabled, with the motivation:
  • Unlock all, Unlimited money, Unlimited oil and ore, Unlimited soil (vanilla ones, to build up faster)
  • Loading Order Mod (to disable my other mods, couldn't use --noworkshop because I needed to observe the limits)
  • Harmony and Patch Loader Mod (dependencies for LOM)
  • Watch It! Revisited (to observe the Path Units usage)
Attached are my output_log for one of my tests and the savegame (no mods should be needed to open it).

PS: I tried to post Workshop links of the mods I used, but the anti-spam filter didn't let me so I removed them

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    174,7 KB · Views: 0
  • Vanilla_bug.crp
    7,6 MB · Views: 0
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Hi friends! I was asked on Reddit to reply to this thread with my log and save file. My apologies that this is not a vanilla save, but hopefully it helps anyways.

EDIT: Confirmed that converting the new City Quay to the original style quay fixed the issue. Seems to be an issue with TMPE and city quays??? Log shows a lot of null ref errors related to the TrafficManager singleton.

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • Portville.crp
    22,8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi friends! I was asked on Reddit to reply to this thread with my log and save file. My apologies that this is not a vanilla save, but hopefully it helps anyways.

EDIT: Confirmed that converting the new City Quay to the original style quay fixed the issue. Seems to be an issue with TMPE and city quays??? Log shows a lot of null ref errors related to the TrafficManager singleton.

You forgot the mod list.