• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Nonnie

Recruit
7 Badges
May 19, 2019
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
As it stands now, the housing level dictates the education level of an incoming adult. Level 1 buildings attract the uneducated; level 3 mostly attracts well-educated; level 5 mostly attracts highly educated.
I did not know this, and its really useful info. I was operating under the assumption that the new influx adults were uneducated and it was my city kids growing up and moving in to their own places that were the educated cims in upgraded buildings. That makes me less concerned about the impact of death waves. Thanks.

sprites

Field Marshal
64 Badges
May 1, 2008
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Darkest Hour
  • For The Glory
  • March of the Eagles
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Magicka
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
i hope i don't have to get yellow school buses as i'm not american ... these campuses are really american-style , but the rest of the city could not be

Beer Fiend

Better to have a keg than a six-pack
27 Badges
Apr 28, 2017
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Surviving Mars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
i hope i don't have to get yellow school buses as i'm not american ... these campuses are really american-style , but the rest of the city could not be
I think they're part of the free patch.

Either way, get IPT2 and you can block them from spawning.

Mazisky

First Lieutenant
14 Badges
Feb 26, 2019
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Magicka
  • Age of Wonders III
Yellow busses are only an optional skin. You can chose to not use it.

metatoaster

Reticulator of Splines
113 Badges
Jan 8, 2012
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Magicka
@garfield007 We cannot have a DLC without a patch. If that happened, then we would need several versions of mods for every DLC combination. The free patch is also to keep us all using the same version of the game, which makes support and mod usage less of a mess. Yes, that means some mods break, but that's exactly why you have that warning pop up the first time you add mods. Modding changes how things work and that can break things. That's the risk of modding and CO can't do anything about that. We're the ones that choose to add mods to our games and that comes with a risk. Most of the time everything is just fine as long as you're patient, but yeah - your save can break. If you can't live with the risk, don't use mods.
There's actually a lot they can do about that, and that they choose not to do:
  • Do like Paradox Game Studios (or the authors of Kerbal Space Program, or ...) and provide rollback betas so people that depend on a lot of mods can keep playing old versions, at least to finish with their current city.
  • Provide an actual modding API and keep adding to it so less and less modding is based on brittle reverse-engineering that's excruciatingly hard to update.
  • Publish the source for a part of the game, just like the Civilization series. Again, less painful reverse-engineering, and allows community-contributed patches to strenghten the modding base overtime. Only this kind of source disclosure can allow mods on a mind-boggling scale like Fall from Heaven II.
With the current situation, the truth we need to tell people is that if they use a lot of mods, or any non-mainstream one, their city is good for the trash every update. So far everytime I've installed mods that sounded interesting from non-star modders, at least one of those mods was never updated after the next DLC came out. Sometimes an incompatible equivalent was developed, but my save was hopelessly buggy and I had to restart from scratch again. This is especially frustrating if you decide to get back into the game, spend several evenings setting up your mods and then start your city, only for the next DLC to come a few weeks later and trash your city. This is supposed to be an offline game you can play on your own terms, yet as soon as you install mods you're forced into the company's update schedule - it doesn't make any sense.

Avanya

Asset creator
Community Ambassador
13 Badges
Dec 8, 2015
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Cities in Motion 2
With the current situation, the truth we need to tell people is that if they use a lot of mods, or any non-mainstream one, their city is good for the trash every update. So far everytime I've installed mods that sounded interesting from non-star modders, at least one of those mods was never updated after the next DLC came out. Sometimes an incompatible equivalent was developed, but my save was hopelessly buggy and I had to restart from scratch again. This is especially frustrating if you decide to get back into the game, spend several evenings setting up your mods and then start your city, only for the next DLC to come a few weeks later and trash your city. This is supposed to be an offline game you can play on your own terms, yet as soon as you install mods you're forced into the company's update schedule - it doesn't make any sense.
That's absolute garbage advice. I'm sorry you have had troubles with your saves, but the wast majority of players do not have to scrap their save every patch despite using tons of mods. I run with just around 100 mods, many from "non-star" modders and have no problems. I help out a lot of people every patch with all sorts of mods, who just need to remove broken mods to get going again. The wast majority of mods can be removed from a save without any problems. I can't tell you why you're having problems without knowing which mods you're using, but your experience is far from representative of everyone's. And spreading this nonsense that patches break saves is why I spend patch day helping people understand what's actually happening and not to panic. It sucks you have problems and if you have the patience to look into it, I'd be happy to help you try and figure it out.

Beer Fiend

Better to have a keg than a six-pack
27 Badges
Apr 28, 2017
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Surviving Mars
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
I will say that this DLC day has been excellent too. No broken mods, just the standard LSM takedown which was back within 6 hours.

Fox_NS_CAN

General
1 Badges
Oct 26, 2016
  • Major Wiki Contributor
Bus line customization
As a new feature we have added the possibility for you to customize the vehicles used by the bus lines. Now you have a chance to have full control over what kinds of vehicles travel the bus routes in your city! And it's quite easy to use. Just open up the Public Transport - Lines Overview panel, check the line you want to customize and then click the button under the title "Model". Here you can scroll through the available models and select the one you want to operate on that specific bus line. Also, you can choose to have random bus models to operate on the line instead of a specific one (also, "Random" is the default setting).
I really like this added feature, although I would like to see it expanded to all types of transportation, as well as an option to select which ones you want (not just pick one or have random from all).
(Really want larger accordion buses! Might have to go back to the workshop.)

Anyway, that aside, I have a question.

If I have a Bus Depot and a Biofuel Bus depot, I have the choice between the regular bus, biofuel bus, and school bus.

What does the School Bus behave as? Is it noisy like the regular bus? Or quieter like the biofuel bus? Does it matter which type of depot?

co_emmi

Captain
1 Badges
Sep 22, 2014
  • Colossal Order Staff
I really like this added feature, although I would like to see it expanded to all types of transportation, as well as an option to select which ones you want (not just pick one or have random from all).
(Really want larger accordion buses! Might have to go back to the workshop.)

Anyway, that aside, I have a question.

If I have a Bus Depot and a Biofuel Bus depot, I have the choice between the regular bus, biofuel bus, and school bus.

What does the School Bus behave as? Is it noisy like the regular bus? Or quieter like the biofuel bus? Does it matter which type of depot?
We've gotten bunch of positive feedback about this so we are looking into expanding it to other transportation types :) No promises or eta at this point though!

School bus has same stats as the normal bus and it does not matter from which depot it comes from.

metatoaster

Reticulator of Splines
113 Badges
Jan 8, 2012
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • 500k Club
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • BATTLETECH
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Surviving Mars
  • Magicka
That's absolute garbage advice. I'm sorry you have had troubles with your saves, but the wast majority of players do not have to scrap their save every patch despite using tons of mods. I run with just around 100 mods, many from "non-star" modders and have no problems. I help out a lot of people every patch with all sorts of mods, who just need to remove broken mods to get going again. The wast majority of mods can be removed from a save without any problems. I can't tell you why you're having problems without knowing which mods you're using, but your experience is far from representative of everyone's. And spreading this nonsense that patches break saves is why I spend patch day helping people understand what's actually happening and not to panic. It sucks you have problems and if you have the patience to look into it, I'd be happy to help you try and figure it out.
Whatever. Even if after some hours of troubleshooting, you managed to help me identify and remove all mods that became broken or incompatible with each other because of the patch and subsequent mod updates, I'd still be left with one or two mods that I considered essential to my playthrough and that won't be updated until weeks later, or not at all. Happened to me enough times after spending a lot of time on my mod setup and even delving into their source code that I lost patience and I don't bother anymore.

And it's your claim about the "vast majority of players" which is garbage and nonsense. First of all, the vast majority of players don't use mods at all, unless you consider downloading a house model a "mod". Then, the vast majority of users that use actual mods just install random stuff that sounds awesome from the workshop and don't have the inclination to spend hours troubleshooting, because they want to spend their free time *gaming*. Later they just open their city without even being aware at first that there was an update, and find that everything is broken. Then they ragepost somewhere and move on to some other game... perhaps reinstall and come back a few months later. Your view is skewed by the minority you deal with on the forums.

Avanya

Asset creator
Community Ambassador
13 Badges
Dec 8, 2015
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities in Motion 2
Whatever. Even if after some hours of troubleshooting, you managed to help me identify and remove all mods that became broken or incompatible with each other because of the patch and subsequent mod updates, I'd still be left with one or two mods that I considered essential to my playthrough and that won't be updated until weeks later, or not at all. Happened to me enough times after spending a lot of time on my mod setup and even delving into their source code that I lost patience and I don't bother anymore.

And it's your claim about the "vast majority of players" which is garbage and nonsense. First of all, the vast majority of players don't use mods at all, unless you consider downloading a house model a "mod". Then, the vast majority of users that use actual mods just install random stuff that sounds awesome from the workshop and don't have the inclination to spend hours troubleshooting, because they want to spend their free time *gaming*. Later they just open their city without even being aware at first that there was an update, and find that everything is broken. Then they ragepost somewhere and move on to some other game... perhaps reinstall and come back a few months later. Your view is skewed by the minority you deal with on the forums.
Sure, if I was ONLY on the forums you might have an arguement, but I'm not. I'm also on reddit, twitter, facebook, steam discussions and discord daily - and I've been so for years and through many patches. So yeah, I think I have a fairly sized sample of players and their problems to have a good idea of how many are affected by a patch and how. But feel free to dismiss my experience and help, I'm not really bothered. Luckily something isn't true just because you believe it to be so, and I'll continue doing what I do to help people understand the actual consequences of a patch, so they don't throw away a save they could still continue if they'd want to.

P.S. Since you were talking about and to people who use a lot of mods, I figured it wasn't needed to specify that I was also talking about the same people, but I guess I should have added "who use mods" since you now brought up all those who play without mods. But I guess you forgot that since it was some days ago you wrote that. :)

Meesmoth

Philippine Cities Builder
Sep 21, 2016
meesmoth.wikia.com
I will say that this DLC day has been excellent too. No broken mods, just the standard LSM takedown which was back within 6 hours.
I would agree here. TMPE, as an example, is a super-sensitive mod that always get broken each update or patch, yet it didn't for Campus (yay). It was all working fine according to the mod authors.

It shows that mod support from the Devs has improved, since there are only few mods that got broke unlike previous patches. Great job Colossal Order, Paradox Interactive, and the Cities: Skylines modding community for all of your hard work!

And I agree with @Avanya also. I have been building cities with over 100 mods since 2016 yet I didn't lose any of them because of broken mods on patch day. I just wait for the mods to get updated before I can resume building the cities again.

I disagree with @metatoaster's post. It's not the mod's fault when you lose cities, it's the user's fault, since you open the city then save it while ignoring the broken mods. Just don't open them every patch day. That's it, problem solved. Wait for the mods to get updated before resuming your unfinished work.

metatoaster

Reticulator of Splines
113 Badges
Jan 8, 2012
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • 500k Club
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • BATTLETECH
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Surviving Mars
  • Magicka
Sure, if I was ONLY on the forums you might have an arguement, but I'm not. I'm also on reddit, twitter, facebook, steam discussions and discord daily - and I've been so for years and through many patches. So yeah, I think I have a fairly sized sample of players and their problems to have a good idea of how many are affected by a patch and how. But feel free to dismiss my experience and help, I'm not really bothered. Luckily something isn't true just because you believe it to be so, and I'll continue doing what I do to help people understand the actual consequences of a patch, so they don't throw away a save they could still continue if they'd want to.
I include all those means of internet communication under the vague term of "forums". Because most people that play games don't go online to discuss those games, only a small portion of hardcore fans. Similarly, most people who use mods won't spend hours in forums and other means of internet communication trying to find solutions when they're broken. So instead of repeating ad nauseam that everything is fine with the current system and that they just have to go ask you for help, an easily accessible system to let those people play their current city and update on their own terms (as is par for the course with GOG games now) would help that silent majority.

BTW I appreciate that you're helping people and volunteering a lot of your time. But you're dismissing my own experience as well.

I disagree with @metatoaster's post. It's not the mod's fault when you lose cities, it's the user's fault, since you open the city then save it while ignoring the broken mods. Just don't open them every patch day. That's it, problem solved. Wait for the mods to get updated before resuming your unfinished work.
It's neither the user nor the mod(der)'s fault. It's Paradox and Colossal Order who force updates, while they could provide means to delay updates like a lot of mod-heavy games do these days. I simply think players should have the choice to update on their terms.

The current system is exclusively geared toward hardcore users.

Last edited:

Avanya

Asset creator
Community Ambassador
13 Badges
Dec 8, 2015
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities in Motion 2
I include all those means of internet communication under the vague term of "forums". Because most people that play games don't go online to discuss those games, only a small portion of hardcore fans. Similarly, most people who use mods won't spend hours in forums and other means of internet communication trying to find solutions when they're broken. So instead of repeating ad nauseam that everything is fine with the current system and that they just have to go ask you for help, an easily accessible system to let those people play their current city and update on their own terms (as is par for the course with GOG games now) would help that silent majority.

BTW I appreciate that you're helping people and volunteering a lot of your time. But you're dismissing my own experience as well.

It's neither the user nor the mod(der)'s fault. It's Paradox and Colossal Order who force updates, while they could provide means to delay updates like a lot of mod-heavy games do these days. I simply think players should have the choice to update on their terms.

The current system is exclusively geared toward hardcore users.
You keep moving the goal posts here. First we were talking about players who mod, then all players. Then we talk about where they go to rage when they discover things are broken and now we're talking about the silent majority. I've never claimed to know what players who never mod or post anywhere experience. ;) And I'm not dismissing your experience. I am however dismissing your statement that "the truth we need to tell people is that if they use a lot of mods, or any non-mainstream one, their city is good for the trash every update" because that is not consistent with what I see and I'm just not okay with giving that advice to people, who could easily recover their save. If they don't want to and would prefer to move on like you seem to do, then that's fine. But don't tell them there's nothing to do and they should just scrap it, when there's absolutely a lot of saves that are fine to play after removing broken mods (or like this time around without doing nothing at all).

Fox_NS_CAN

General
1 Badges
Oct 26, 2016
  • Major Wiki Contributor
We've gotten bunch of positive feedback about this so we are looking into expanding it to other transportation types :) No promises or eta at this point though!
Hopefully it works out.

The ferry needs a second model. The existing one looks good, but is huge. Lots of places could use a smaller lower one.