• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Beer Fiend

Better to have a keg than a six-pack
27 Badges
Apr 28, 2017
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
I would preferred to have the visual styles and faculties as independent from any predetermined "campus type", and let players customize their own university.

For example what if I want to focus my university on "scientific research and discovery" of natural sciences like Geology and Biology, but also include evironmental studies and agronomy, all with the mid 20th century style for my campus?

I guess we must wait to see all the "unique faculties".
Or think back to Parklife, where your Amusement Park could also have a zoo in the same area.

I think this will operate on the same principle, as long as there is a campus area, you can put in whatever building you please

BuchiTaton

Captain
20 Badges
Dec 24, 2017
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
Or think back to Parklife, where your Amusement Park could also have a zoo in the same area.

I think this will operate on the same principle, as long as there is a campus area, you can put in whatever building you please
Just that if unique faculties have determined styles I dont want to have buidilngs that dont match with the others from the campus and/or my city (without reasons).

In real life most of campus buildings for offices, classrooms, auditoriums, stores and laboratories can harbor many different disciplines without be associated by their architecture style from outside. Devs can create buildings for all faculties in every style, in most of the cases without major effort.

All they need to add to recognize the specialization of most of the "generic buildings" are small flavor visual hints on the outside. For example:
- DNA helix statue for Genetic Engineering institute (if there is any on the DLC).
- Some Socrates bust for Philosophy (same as above).
- A big engine at the lateral garage of the Mechanical Enginnering laboratory (again).

After all each style have common elements that are used in many of the buildings of the set, so the modelers save time modeling more building for those styles.

Beer Fiend

27 Badges
Apr 28, 2017
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris
Just that if unique faculties have determined styles I dont want to have buidilngs that dont match with the others from the campus and/or my city (without reasons).

In real life most of campus buildings for offices, classrooms, auditoriums, stores and laboratories can harbor many different disciplines without be associated by their architecture style from outside. Devs can create buildings for all faculties in every style, in most of the cases without major effort.

All they need to add to recognize the specialization of most of the "generic buildings" are small flavor visual hints on the outside. For example:
- DNA helix statue for Genetic Engineering institute (if there is any on the DLC).
- Some Socrates bust for Philosophy (same as above).
- A big engine at the lateral garage of the Mechanical Enginnering laboratory (again).
Think of it as being built over time and the different styles are a reflection of that. ;)

BuchiTaton

Captain
20 Badges
Dec 24, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
Think of it as being built over time and the different styles are a reflection of that. ;)
This is kind of ironic considering the obvious lack of real "old styles" for zone and administrative buildings.:(

In this game if you want to recreate some old downtown or traditional rural towns, you must rely on modders. I would love official building styles to represent old architectures from different eras and places around the world.

I like that devs did this in a lesser degree with campus, but the style must be an option independent of the disciplines you want to develop on that building. Or is that all A.I. research is done in french neoclassicism style buildings?

kenratboy

Corporal
11 Badges
Feb 24, 2015
I'm actually way more interested in using these buildings to make realistic 'mid-rise' areas (the transition from low-density suburbs to full-blown downtown skyscrapers). A lot of these buildings looks like mid-rise office, residential, government buildings. Especially the large ones (what looks like the medical school building, for example) is the sort of thing you see as office buildings in many places. This is something I find lacking in the game (without downloading dozens of workshop items), and these buildings are the right sizes to make cities look more interesting.

Excited!

Avanya

Asset creator
Community Ambassador
13 Badges
Dec 8, 2015
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Cities in Motion 2

Actually it looked like they don't mix when they showed some stuff of on stream. At least I think Luca was trying to place a building from one type in the area of another type and not outside an area.

In this game if you want to recreate some old downtown or traditional rural towns, you must rely on modders. I would love official building styles to represent old architectures from different eras and places around the world.

I like that devs did this in a lesser degree with campus, but the style must be an option independent of the disciplines you want to develop on that building. Or is that all A.I. research is done in french neoclassicism style buildings?
The problem here is there are soooo many styles I just don't think they can include them all. Or if they did none of us would have enough RAM for all those buildings. :p I spent a little time googling different European countries' universities to get some ideas of styles and they are sooo different. They all seem pretty unique and one wouldn't really work to represent them all. Heck, even tiny Denmark with just a handful of universities can agree on a style (and that's despite we build pretty much everything in either brick or concrete). It's just such an impossible task to represent the world and it's many many different styles. No matter what styles they picked, most players would look at them and feel like they are wrong. And even with all our talented creators and years to add styles, we still wouldn't be able to represent all styles in the world.

Beer Fiend

27 Badges
Apr 28, 2017
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris
Actually it looked like they don't mix when they showed some stuff of on stream. At least I think Luca was trying to place a building from one type in the area of another type and not outside an area.
Disappointing if true!

Every proper uni needs a Brutalist monstrosity in the middle of it! :p

BuchiTaton

Captain
20 Badges
Dec 24, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
The problem here is there are soooo many styles I just don't think they can include them all. Or if they did none of us would have enough RAM for all those buildings. :p I spent a little time googling different European countries' universities to get some ideas of styles and they are sooo different.
Agree 100%, there is no way devs can cover all the different styles from real universities. Also we dont know how many buildings are exclusive to each one of the 3 kinds of campus, but I guess a hanful should not be so difficult to add for the 3 sets. If they made dozens of unique faculties for each one then story is other.

Chief of Staff

The Duke of Rockford
81 Badges
Jun 27, 2010
www.virtualparadise.org
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Pride of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Great dev diary! I only have couple things to say here.

Creating a Campus Area
<snip>

View attachment 479458
Painting a campus area.

From here on, you can start placing the campus type-specific buildings to increase the campus' student capacity and attractiveness as well as using the campus policies to further customize how your campus functions and creating Academic Works. As your campus meets the requirements to level up in reputation, you unlock more different campus buildings.
I think we probably can do this but I have to ask this anyway. Can we have more than one schools with their own campuses in a city? And I think this is also given but again I have to ask this, can we name the buildings as well?

View attachment 479464
Campus areas can become quite large so it's important to make sure you don't run out of space when you start expanding the campus!
Satellite campus proposal
I was aware of real-world examples where some schools tends to have more than one campuses even in the same city. This may be done for various reasons but a common reason would be a difficulty of acquiring lands at a reasonable cost for expanding the main campus. I can't remember if bulldozing cost in C:S is always same or dependent on what you were bulldozing (i.e. demolishing high-wealth properties costs more). Can anyone clarify this point of information? But I think there may be scenarios where it might be more desirable to create a satellite campus for a given school than to expand the main campus in some circumstances.

Linking campuses
Therefore, I suggest introducing a linking mechanism where you would link two campus areas so that it acts as a single school. The first campus area for a school would be designated as the "main" campus while all linked campuses would be designated "satellite". Each "satellite" campus may or may not need an administrative building. I think it probably should do without that and just simply tie them back to the administration building in the "main" campus. We could also name each campus, perhaps after the district or neighborhood they are in.

Avoiding too many campuses per a school
If we want to maintain a number of satellite campuses for each school at a reasonable or realistic level, I suggest adding some sort of penalties relative to the overall size of school and/or city, perhaps impacting the school's efficiency. So excessive number of campuses for a school would negatively impact it overall. Actually, penalties might not be necessary if each campus area have their own base cost (only active if at least one building existed on that campus area so it would not cost anything if no buildings existed on it). The main thing to make it a challenge to be cost-effective.

Campus specializations per a school type
One interesting implication of this "satellite" system is that, if Colossal Order wanted to go back and expand more on this in a future patch or even a DLC, it could permit specialization for, say, a trade schools. In the United States, we have land-grant universities (see Wikipedia entry for background information), one of which is Texas A&M University. A&M stood for Agricultural & Mechanical. This led me to suggest that we could have a trade school with a "main" campus focused on agricultural education and a "satellite" campus focused on mechanical engineering. I imagine that these two sciences complemented each other, so having such campus specializations could increase its impact on agricultural sector more than having a trade school that are more general with no specialization per a campus.

The potential downside of the campus specializations for a given school type, though, is the possibility of adding more micromanagement if it goes beyond simply designating the specialization of each campus. I don't think there is need to add any other things to manage per a campus as opposed to managing each school but there is probably something I haven't foreseen here.

Rationales for satellite campuses
Linking mechanism to enable "satellite" campuses would also permit expansion of a school that would otherwise destroy a valuable tract of the city, especially the properties with high property values that in turn generated significant amount of tax revenues.

... Not to mention avoiding angering the wealthy patrons of these schools if you were to demolish their criminally large mansions for school expansions. :p

Actually, that would be something to think about for a DLC focused on politics if you guys ever wanted to do that one day. ;)

Beer Fiend

27 Badges
Apr 28, 2017
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris
I think we probably can do this but I have to ask this anyway. Can we have more than one schools with their own campuses in a city? And I think this is also given but again I have to ask this, can we name the buildings as well?
I imagine this works in exactly the same way as it did in Parklife.

And yes, you can re-name nearly everything else (why not your Match Day football team, I don't know) I think the same thing happens here.

ristosal

Major
10 Badges
Nov 29, 2016
Satellite campus proposal
I was aware of real-world examples where some schools tends to have more than one campuses even in the same city. This may be done for various reasons but a common reason would be a difficulty of acquiring lands at a reasonable cost for expanding the main campus. I can't remember if bulldozing cost in C:S is always same or dependent on what you were bulldozing (i.e. demolishing high-wealth properties costs more). Can anyone clarify this point of information? But I think there may be scenarios where it might be more desirable to create a satellite campus for a given school than to expand the main campus in some circumstances.

Linking campuses
Therefore, I suggest introducing a linking mechanism where you would link two campus areas so that it acts as a single school. The first campus area for a school would be designated as the "main" campus while all linked campuses would be designated "satellite". Each "satellite" campus may or may not need an administrative building. I think it probably should do without that and just simply tie them back to the administration building in the "main" campus. We could also name each campus, perhaps after the district or neighborhood they are in.
Based on Friday's live stream you can split a campus area in half by first expanding the area way out, plop some buildings further away and then erase the excess area; effectively a satellite campus. Buildings didn't complain.

MN121MN

General
53 Badges
Nov 12, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities in Motion
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
I actually wonder about this, and didn't managed to get a response earlier, so here goes:

Does zoneable residential inside a campus area, and to some extent the tiles surrounding the campus area, contribute to increasing student capacity?

Beer Fiend

27 Badges
Apr 28, 2017
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris
I actually wonder about this, and didn't managed to get a response earlier, so here goes:

Does zoneable residential inside a campus area, and to some extent the tiles surrounding the campus area, contribute to increasing student capacity?
I wouldn't imagine so. It would contribute to the number of eligible students though.

co_emmi

Captain
1 Badges
Sep 22, 2014
  • Colossal Order Staff
;)
Yes, you can name the buildings like any other buildings.

Joal ban Kluane

Corporal
108 Badges
Jan 2, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Prison Architect
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Based on Friday's live stream you can split a campus area in half by first expanding the area way out, plop some buildings further away and then erase the excess area; effectively a satellite campus. Buildings didn't complain.
This idea of a «campus» spread across the city, with buildings added where there's room as part of the development of the city rather than having a single big area reserved from the start is really what matches IRL in Europe (or at least parts of it where I've been).. so, if I can extend an area to a secondary location, plop a few buildings, sever the link, and do the same over and over for each location would allow to do that, that ought to be good enough. Thanks for the info!

EDIT: grammar fixed