• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What I'm wondering the most is if while playing from 1930 we will end with the same city in 1950 than if you start in 1950 ?
Can you show at nice date the difference between your city and the launch at that date city ?

23udf0z.jpg

Vienna's first tram-line: 1930

Having set up my first bus-line in the central part of the city it is time to look elsewhere for a second line which might net me some nice profit with which to finance the more costly projects: the Vienna Underground. Later on I will put a nice long tram-line through the entire center of the city but first some people have to go to their work. In the northern part of the city is a neighborhood which houses a lot of blue-collar workers who seem to be working on the other side of the Danube.
A simple loop through their neighborhood and a second loop around the factories and warehouses does the job. With this line I will have to wait a little while longer before passengers flock to the bus-stop so for now it is enough to have one bus cater the line.

1zyziht.jpg

Blue-collar flats, they also live in the older buildings to the South

2qdn0ub.jpg

In the city center and especially at the railway station the amount of passengers is clogging the line. The two buses I started with are reinforced by two more and then, quickly a fifth.
On the pictures in the tutorial chapter you will notice the arrowed lines on the streets, those are the bus and tram-lines through the city. By clicking the eye icon in front of the line these can be turned of which leaves us with a better looking city to look at. Occasionally I'll turn some of them on of course.

kb7psl.jpg

Having completed these two lines and making them run fairly efficient it is time to look at the best traject for the tram-line. By now just four months of game time have passed (it is early May) so you have an idea of the pace of the game. Some of the scenarios last three years which is abundant time to get things done. I will, however, speed up time occasionally as I want to reach the 1940's and perhaps even the 50's and the 60's. But not before having build several tram-lines and an Underground network.

It takes me a lot of time to decide where I want to place my first tram-line. Putting a line all over the outer-ring of the old center is tempting but such a line will be rather long and burn away all my capital at once. Tram-lines are perhaps not as expensive as the underground but they cost a good deal of money as you have to lay track, place and maintain stops and buy trams. So, I decide to put a nice little loop in the northern part of the City-center. A second loop in the southern part will follow somewhat later and only then will I take the outer-ring. Right now I have spent half of my remaining cash on this single tram-line and thus will have to make a nice profit before I can build the other two.

2ikcf3l.jpg

When placing stops you'll see a circle and area of green buildings which are within range of the stops

ru2mqb.jpg

The Zossen Mark-I, don't you love 'em?

2euppht.jpg

Rottenturmstrasse again, now with both a bus and tram-line and considerable more traffic.
It wasn't possible to make the two stops into one (on the other side of the road) but we will see later if the passengers change from one mode of transport to another.

Very nice and beautiful screenshots!

About those loops - can you do a line using basically just one road, with the stops for either direction directly opposite each other (as it typically is in real life)? Or do you have to loop around blocks always?

Can you build extra roads, in case you want to make a short-cut or a missing link, or just want a place for your buses to turn easily?

Really nice! I'm loving how the time span really alters the city.

BTW... How is the city in 1945? Ruined or what? Would be REALLY nice the war really alter how your company is doing. Loosing clients, vehicles, etc.

Very nice. I wasn't planning on getting this game, but this AAR does have me tempted

One question though. Perhaps I missed something but I'm confused when you say that "some of the scenarios last three years which is abundant time to get things done. I will, however, speed up time occasionally as I want to reach the 1940's and perhaps even the 50's and the 60's". Is there a three year limit on the city scenario or can you play from the 1930s through to the 2000s on the same map?

looks great - well presented the tram line looks good but i think i wished i was in beta
but i noticed people can crowd the stop realistic - in real life - there crowds would be standing along the stop - normally the stops crowd around 50 people or more for stations - up to 200 if station is long or big

About those loops - can you do a line using basically just one road, with the stops for either direction directly opposite each other (as it typically is in real life)? Or do you have to loop around blocks always?

Can you build extra roads, in case you want to make a short-cut or a missing link, or just want a place for your buses to turn easily?

Both ends of the loop have to run around a block of buildings, a cul-de-sac might be working as well. Alternatively you can set up a second line in the opposite direction on the other side of the first line.

And no, you can't build any new roads or buildings.

Very nice, is looking forward to this game although I'm usually disapointed by the newer tranport-simulator games..

Awesome screenshots, so a quick question, do vehicles disappear when they reach their destination, similarly to Sim City 4? Or do the vehicles drive into a parking spot? And do people get out of the vehicles and walk to wherever they live/work?

Awesome screenshots, so a quick question, do vehicles disappear when they reach their destination, similarly to Sim City 4? Or do the vehicles drive into a parking spot? And do people get out of the vehicles and walk to wherever they live/work?

i think its driving in the spots - i am not sure but Singleton Mosby can confirm this

If you have several vehicles on one line, can you set time intervals between two busses etc., so that they don't come after each other?

You know where a bus (or tram) will start the route. So I just wait till the other one is at the other end of the line and then release the second bus. And so on.

One question though. Perhaps I missed something but I'm confused when you say that "some of the scenarios last three years which is abundant time to get things done. I will, however, speed up time occasionally as I want to reach the 1940's and perhaps even the 50's and the 60's". Is there a three year limit on the city scenario or can you play from the 1930s through to the 2000s on the same map?

The scenarios have a time limit. I don't know if you can play on once the scenario's objectvies are fullfilled. I have chosen the sandbox option, however, which you can start from 1920 to 2020 with a five year interval.

BTW... How is the city in 1945? Ruined or what? Would be REALLY nice the war really alter how your company is doing. Loosing clients, vehicles, etc.

As far as I could see WWII is not simulated in CiM, and it would be very difficult to do so. Don't think I will really miss it though.

i think its driving in the spots - i am not sure but Singleton Mosby can confirm this

Didn't follow a car that long yet but of course I could do so and give you an answer ;)

The creepy stalker, part I

Some of the readers were wondering about the behaviour of the people on the street and transports and the cars on the street. In general people move from building to building. Either by public transport, if available, or car. So I followed some for a while. I have not been able to find someone, yet, who switches from bus to tram but the reason for that might be the small transport network currently in place in Vienna.

Our first victim is Renate von Braun who wants to go from the department store on Rotenturmstrasse to the church a few hundred meters from here. She's willing to pay me $ 4.00 to bring her the one stop by bus so you won't hear me complain about it for a second, next stop she gets out and walks to the church across the street.

15dkgh4.jpg

qpqyk8.jpg

Next one on the list is grim looking Jürgen Schneider (suddenly wonder if they will use Dutch names for the people in Amsterdam....?), a blue-collar taxi-driver who at the moment is visiting a relative apparently as he is driving his sedan car instead of a taxi (there are taxis). I followed him for quite a while, first driving past the river and then winding his way through the narrow streets of the northern part of the city-center.
In the end Jürgen "parked" his car and gets out, walking to the apartment building he is planning to visit. Cafe on the other side of the street looks like a more interesting place to visit imho. That green and white car with the grey thingy on the roof is a taxi btw.

23rpch3.jpg

30xctqv.jpg

In our last picture Fritzl is demonstrating how citizens "park" when there is no parking space designated. They just drive their car onto the pavement (that is what we saw in the tutorial picture) and transforms magically into human form, the car disappears.
More next time!

11ql7ae.jpg

wow that's cool - so people can park if there parking spot present so that's means people can park and get out but if no parking spot then car vanishes in pavement then human appears - so what the grey icon appearing over the apartment that he going in - but its entry icon for person visiting - right?