• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Joining the tracks can be difficult. You can also use another depot to turn the metro train, or build looped lines to avoid building the small loop at the end. Large loops are much easier to make in my opinion.

Can we have something like "shunting tracks"? It could be an object (not a spline), that would have 2 or 4 metro tracks on which the trains could reverse (using a waypoint) and drive their way back on the line. We would also LOVE to see all metro trains actually have driver cabs on both ends, like in real life. That train with a dead end seems odd to me.

The large map size means there are bottlenecks in cities, that could eventually clog the whole road system, so there is a moderate amount of cars in each city to avoid this.

I think that most of us here would love a patch that added a lot more live in our cities and a bigger challenge for public transport. I can build tunnels, overpasses, everything - but all this seems useless, since there aren't many traffic jams (up to now, I only noticed one single place where a jam can create). Many people complained about the jams in CiM1 - but that was because the vehicles were getting stuck in a stupid way. CiM2 has to fix that, and I think you need to improve the overtaking and lane selection mechanism, along with better traffic. (By lane selection mechanism I mean that many cars can still get stuck in a stupid way, and buses don't use the bus lanes for turning left, as they should.)

"4. Although definitely not a showstopper, I too am interested to see why things like train lines and airports have been removed from the game. For me, in CiM1, they were very reliable starting points in that I knew that they would always attract a decent number of passengers to get my lines started. Additionally, some kind of connection to the "outer world", although abstract, would just add to the realism of the game."
These are all good ideas and we will keep them in store! Right now we are concentrating on making all the fixes as fast as we can, but we would like to add more to the game later on.

I hope for the heavy rail and airports too, probably we could build them in the map editor, or mark some special space for them, so that they get generated when there are more and more people moving into our city. The terrain around the planned railways and airports could be locked, so that there is no problem with actually placing them with the game engine. We could have like 2 different types of railway stations (but no dead-end stations, they aren't as popular as the pass-through stations), small and bigger, and 2 different airports. The latter could be build in such way: place the main building connected with an ATC tower, place the runway (single object) and connect both ends of the runway to the apron (multiple runways should be possible, although up to 3 for a map could be a good limit).

My question is about connecting roads and traffic lights.
Firstly, i really love traffic :) i love to build roads to avoid traffic jams, it's great, damn better then simcity and similar games, thank you for that, really.

So, let's start asking: Let's say, i would like to connect two-way road to two one-way roads. Do you plan to improve it so one-way roads are almost parallel ? So, later, i am able to connect for example more one-way roads to more-way roads ?
Same with highways .. connecting one-way highway roads to standard roads doesn't look good :)

Second question: It's about traffic lights and "give way" signs. I see, when i connect standard road to another standard road, it creates this "give way" sign, but unfortunately, it looks like only cosmetic model without function. Do you plan to improve this part, so, this "give way" sign is working and i am able to choose traffic lights or just these "give way" signs ? That will make simulation deeper and i will be so happy to play with it :) Sometimes, traffic lights are pain and it makes lots of traffic jams even, traffic lights are not needed there.

Thank you very much for answers.

After a bit of try and fail, i finally don't find really difficult to form a small loop at the end of a line... maybe these 2 cents tips can be helpful:

- the loop have to be made with a single track line (or a 2 tracks one way line if your metro line is a 4 tracks one)

My advice is the opposite. Do a double-tracked, bi-directional loop. It's much easier to extend the line later past the loop if it's already double-tracked. This allows you to extend by a tangent line from the old loop. Otherwise, you have to bulldoze the old loop, which is frustrating and confuses the pathfinder.

I echo the call for adding cross-overs to the game. Metro end-of-line loops are very finicky to build and are prone to very expensive mistakes.

Thanks Karoliina! That answers everything but one issue...

"1. Buses not leaving the depot. I have a line where only 2 of 7 buses will operate, the rest won't drive the route at their assigned times (even if I change the timetable), and my stops are full of angry people! The buses in the depot are all at 100% and should be ready to go... I even bought a few more to see if that would work, but no. I consider this enough of a showstopper that I´ve temporarily stopped playing the campaign."
Like lightrail said, this is most likely because the line is not closed. The depot must be the last click when adding stops so the buses find their way back.

I checked and I did in fact close the line by clicking on the Depot last. I've tried everything, including having buses run every 15 minutes, but they just refuse to go out and drive! Any other suggestions??

EDIT: I just fixed it... I had to sell all my buses and re-buy them. Since then, they've been running as scheduled! Is this a bug??

I have a question regarding the looped line suggestion posted in another area. The first few times I played CIM2, I started and ended each line with a depot without adding the first stop twice. My timetables worked well and citizens only complained about overcrowding. Vehicles would complete a line and then always go back to the depot. Yesterday when I played I used a suggestion (I believe from Colossal) that said to add the first stop to a line (again at the end) prior to ending the line with a depot to have vehicles continue when making a circular route. The benefit is that vehicles will not drop off remaining riders when the reach the depot. So I did this to all of my lines. The lines, however, are now pretty much ignoring my timetables and getting to the first stop at the correct time only 20% of the time. Citizens are constantly saying that my vehicles are late (which is true because they are ignoring the timetables.) I have plenty of vehicles in the depot (typically only half are used at a time.) The depot is not overcrowded.

Anyone experience this issue? How can it be resolved?

I am interested in onearchitype's question as well:

It would seem sensible to have vehicles continue straight round the route if they can as more passengers in total can be picked up quicker. However one factor that annoys Cims is vehicles being late and doing this appears to make the timetables go out of synch. On this basis it appears best to keep vehicles returning to depot after each circuit and increasing timetable frequency and/or vehicle size to meet increased demand as this at least keeps the timetable stable so long as you have enough vehicles available at the depot.

Hi There,

I have a copy of the Cities in Motion 2 Mac version,
I can't find the "STORE" Button on the menu.:(
In some video tutorial,
I saw the "STORE" is between "LOAD GAME" and "MAP EDITOR"
Am i missing something ??

Hi I have the MAC version too - and yes the MAC version doesn't have the STORE option (must be a miss when it transferred to MAC) - however did you get sent an activation key for the DLC? If you did - this is how I got around it....in the PC Steam clientgo to GAME>Activation (where you would activate any game you brought through steam - enter you key and hey presto you have the DLC - when you return to your MAC the DLC is there (magic) - only caveat with this is that you need to do this via the Windows Steam client, I can't find it via the MAC client - hope this helps.

so far this issue is being ignored by colossal (or I just haven't found the answer), so i'll try to ask again, Colossal please advise on this showstopper!

It's very hard to edit lines - yes the automatic insertion usually works - but sometimes you want to do something a bit different, and is it even possible to change the line's depot? I have not been able to do that without rebuilding the entire route.

At the moment (to my knowledge) the DLC was only available as a pre-order bonus. So if you didn't pre-order it should not be possible to purchase.

Once it is released for purchase, you should be able to buy it through Steam/Gamersgate (for Mac) etc as you would buy any game.

Hi I have the MAC version too - and yes the MAC version doesn't have the STORE option (must be a miss when it transferred to MAC) - however did you get sent an activation key for the DLC? If you did - this is how I got around it....in the PC Steam clientgo to GAME>Activation (where you would activate any game you brought through steam - enter you key and hey presto you have the DLC - when you return to your MAC the DLC is there (magic) - only caveat with this is that you need to do this via the Windows Steam client, I can't find it via the MAC client - hope this helps.

Thanks mohawk1975

At the moment (to my knowledge) the DLC was only available as a pre-order bonus. So if you didn't pre-order it should not be possible to purchase.

Once it is released for purchase, you should be able to buy it through Steam/Gamersgate (for Mac) etc as you would buy any game.

According to the german forum the stuff is available on the windows version via the ingame store but not via steam.

""9. The final frustration, having established you had to make a loop to get your metro train to return to base and therefore establish a line, was getting the track to loop round and merge with itself. I tried this for ages trying to figure out why it wouldn't do it...

I'm not sure if I understand your problem correctly, it could be a bug. I'll have a look at it. I personally build circular lines where the depot is connect with a triangle shaped instersection and they work really well.

I know what this is, and it bugged me senseless until I figured it out. When you're trying to make a loop at the end of a track you can only attach the end you're extending to track that is already "complete". If you try and reconnect the track end to a piece of the track that is still not finally laid then you get the "not enough space to build" message.

You have to confirm the part of the track you want to connect to with a click and then hook the end up to it to make the loop. The tooltip could be better here. Instead of saying "not enough space" it needs to be something more meaningful.

I'm guessing that it's almost been certainly been asked elsewhere, but why are you able to set the ticket prices for metro services (a lot) higher than the generic ticket prices. Is this working as intended and a concept that I can't grasp or is it definitely not meant to be like that and is something that is going to be looked at?

Is the building "waterbus-platform-01" in map editor meant to be used as a stop for the waterbus? I can't include it in a route. It would be very nice to use it because it fits perfectly in a narrow canal (and the ordinary pier doesn't)

I have a question regarding the looped line suggestion posted in another area. The first few times I played CIM2, I started and ended each line with a depot without adding the first stop twice. My timetables worked well and citizens only complained about overcrowding. Vehicles would complete a line and then always go back to the depot. Yesterday when I played I used a suggestion (I believe from Colossal) that said to add the first stop to a line (again at the end) prior to ending the line with a depot to have vehicles continue when making a circular route. The benefit is that vehicles will not drop off remaining riders when the reach the depot. So I did this to all of my lines. The lines, however, are now pretty much ignoring my timetables and getting to the first stop at the correct time only 20% of the time. Citizens are constantly saying that my vehicles are late (which is true because they are ignoring the timetables.) I have plenty of vehicles in the depot (typically only half are used at a time.) The depot is not overcrowded.

Anyone experience this issue? How can it be resolved?

I can confirm this behaviour - although it seems sensible to have vehicles continue straight round the route if demand is high, in practice it seems to put the timetables out, so that instead of having half your Cims unhappy with overcrowding you get the whole lot moaning that the vehicles are late. For this reason I have stopped using this feature for now.

I have a small bluetooth keyboard on the Mac. So no Page UP or Page DOWN keys :-(.
How can I get around this?
The manual issued by Colossal Order and Paradox is entirely biased to the PC platform.

Page Up = FN + Up Arrow
Page Down = FN + Down Arrow
Home = FN + Left Arrow
End = FN + Right Arrow
DEL = FN + Backspace
# = ALT + 3 ;)