Cities and places like Gibraltar and Leningrad should be able to hold out for longer

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Its not hard at all to take in vanilla. As someone was trying to explain above because it's one provence your divisions cant retreat to regain org so they just get deleted when they have no org. You can literally take Gibraltar with 10 width cavalry naval invasions with zero airsupport if you want.

You simply constantly have a naval invasion going and it prevents the defenders from ever regaining org. I have seen mods divide Gibraltar into THREE tiles two coastal and one inland just so there was someplace the divisions could reorg. Hoi 4 mechanics make any 1 Provence island a death trap.....
sorry, i was mostly referring to MP. the AI being incompetent at defending is an AI thing.

in MP when you invade a competent UK will just put their surface fleet out (maybe in a few separate groups, especially if Italy's been neutered) and kill all of the invaders, regardless of whether or not the enemy has naval superiority, and sink them. and of course the enemy getting naval superiority in the first place is very uncommon too.

it can only really be taken if the UK let their navy die trying to save Africa AND the Allies traded air badly with the Axis/lost French airbases/etc.

You need to strat bomb the forts and attack with CAS, and it can still be a difficult process. I suspect Paradox decided the average vanilla player who may not even know how to do fort strat bombing wouldn't enjoy this and so made cities easy to take.

Specific targeting of building types is also a DLC mechanism, only available if you have the right DLC. Which would tend to make the DLC mandatory rather than optional, which would run against the Paradox DLC approach in recent years, which allows a mix & match approach.

sorry, i was mostly referring to MP. the AI being incompetent at defending is an AI thing.

in MP when you invade a competent UK will just put their surface fleet out (maybe in a few separate groups, especially if Italy's been neutered) and kill all of the invaders, regardless of whether or not the enemy has naval superiority, and sink them. and of course the enemy getting naval superiority in the first place is very uncommon too.

it can only really be taken if the UK let their navy die trying to save Africa AND the Allies traded air badly with the Axis/lost French airbases/etc.
I was speaking of MP myself allies winning Africa in vanilla MP is extremely rare because the axis can always build more airports, it's why the central med is a death trap for UK navies. The 'Naval" aspect of Hoi 4 is naval bombers which further comes back to the airports. The axis will get there tanks across to Africa and those tanks 90% of the time will blow right through Egypt.

The thing that saves gibratler is generally in order to take it actually requires some team work and communication. To keep naval invasions up and get your air player to put up bombers to bomb the airport and naval bomb the western med. Usually the axis don't take Gibraltar because they never even try or don't communicate. That's really what makes Gibraltar so defensible in MP is that it requires actually coordinating to take.

allies winning Africa in vanilla MP is extremely rare because the axis can always build more airports, it's why the central med is a death trap for UK navies. The 'Naval" aspect of Hoi 4 is naval bombers which further comes back to the airports. The axis will get there tanks across to Africa and those tanks 90% of the time will blow right through Egypt.
i'm very aware. but the UK can still get through the Africa war without losing their navy.
The thing that saves gibratler is generally in order to take it actually requires some team work and communication. To keep naval invasions up and get your air player to put up bombers to bomb the airport and naval bomb the western med. Usually the axis don't take Gibraltar because they never even try or don't communicate. That's really what makes Gibraltar so defensible in MP is that it requires actually coordinating to take.
whatever you say :shrug:

Specific targeting of building types is also a DLC mechanism, only available if you have the right DLC. Which would tend to make the DLC mandatory rather than optional, which would run against the Paradox DLC approach in recent years, which allows a mix & match approach.

Really easy to fix by making it a game rather than DLC feature, however.

i'm very aware. but the UK can still get through the Africa war without losing their navy.
I don't play HMM but I though few months ago good Allies were winning Africa so easily that Axis stopped contesting it? Allies put up tanks on the Libya border, the navy in the central med, and take the Axis airports before the Axis tanks cross?

I don't play HMM but I though few months ago good Allies were winning Africa so easily that Axis stopped contesting it? Allies put up tanks on the Libya border, the navy in the central med, and take the Axis airports before the Axis tanks cross?
if you have a fully stacked Allies and the Axis do a Barb build (i.e. just enough planes for France and Barb) then yes, the Allies rushing down Libya before German tanks got there is very viable. hell, even with favorable yellow air it still takes the Axis a few weeks to whittle down the UK navy enough to cross, though alternatively they can just zerg the tanks across and accept that two or three of them will be lost. they're heavy IIs after all, and they'll still have more than the Allies since tank France was nerfed.

however doing this early rush requires the UK to have made good mountaineers, France to have decent forces, SAF to have both tanks, maybe some Aussie or New Zealand tanks too, and of course really good micro. and it's high-risk, medium-reward: when Barb comes around, the Allies will take Africa back and be able to Husky anyway, so all either side is really trying to do there is destroy enemy materiel to make Barb and D-Day easier. (and also kill/defend France and SAF but they're pretty defensible so it's not a huge issue). because of that, doing an early rush, which jeopardizes basically the entire SAF, French and Indian armies, is much more devastating to the Allies when it fails then it is to the Axis when it succeeds.

Reactions: