• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
it could be mod as a event.

Let's trigger that event asap, and set a global_flag, this way it's fires only once.
The most work would be the list of provinces needed to explore. As there are many ways to circumnatigate the earth.

I also wondered about it, since the QFTNW description mentions striving for it. I didn't really see how it could be triggered, but it would be nice if there was a one time prestige gain + naval tradition or something similar.

Well you already get a little prestige and naval tradition for each sea zone you explore, so you are rewarded for exploring.

Its kinda funny, the thing that really finally ruined Civ4 for me was the whacky time/space scaling: 1000 years to build a "library" or 200 years to build a "Spearman." Is that one spearman, 100 spearmen, or 1000 spearmen? It must actually be like 10,000 because he can control an entire province (tile) that is about as big as three or four in EU3 . . . yet "he" dies in one battles *poof*

The overall concept of the Civ series was inspiring. Heck Paradox probably wouldn't even exist but for Sid's paving the way, right?

Yet at the end of the day, sticking with the same basic game design (tiles, settlements that occupy whole tiles, graduated time scale, etc.) and focusing on greater elaboration of the strategically "frill" stuff has made the game seem less satisfying to me than a game like EU3 or Matrix'es style of games.

I hope Sid and crew might be listening and take my recommendations into account when doing Civ 5, but I won't hold my breath. I'll buy it, but I fear I'll enjoy it even less time than I enjoyed Civ4 . . . which seems like a long time, but in fact that was paying for Civ4, then Warlords, then BTS, then trying lots of mods, all in the span of what? 2 or 3 years? Seems fast compared to how long I played Civ3. Maybe at the age of 41 I'm finally starting to grow out of gaming? Naahh!!

The problem with tiles is you have an entire riverside hex taken up by a watermill. An entire 100 square mile hex taken up by a frigging watermill. What, do they make toxic sludge that make the rest of the tile unusable? And I miss the thing in Civ3 that allowed you to put forts AND tile improvements in the same tile. Now if you want a fort, you have to eliminate the farmland or mine or whatever you have.
Back to the original topic, circumnavigation in EU3... how would reality be represented? Would Spain have to get events giving it cores on the west coast of Mexico? Would Magellan be a MAN 8 explorer? Historically, Magellan was killed in the Philippines, but they start out uncolonized. Suppose they're still uncolonized by 1521. Magellan wouldn't be able to dock there and, therefore, not die. So... what happens?
P.S. Hex tiles remind me of the Panzer General series. I miss that one bug that gave you free T-34/41s.

If you'd only waited another year this thread would have been dead twice as long as Magellan's voyage. It has been dead more than twice as long as the part Magellan was alive for :ninja: