• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MeiSooHaityu

Field Marshal
13 Badges
Jan 3, 2018
  • Cities: Skylines
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Magicka
Now that Coil weapons are added, I have been using my Cicada pretty regularly. It is a good scout and a pretty powerful sniper for a small mech. With it's excellent movement profile, it isn't hard to deliver hits of as high as 140-ish pinpoint damage.

The only thing I am still trying to tweak is cooling. It is still pretty usable the way I have it, I just am looking for ways to improve. That 140/145 damage strike isn't sustainable and often I drop to lower numbers (which means less movement and more vulnerability) unless I run and don't fire.

I'm currently running a fairly high armor setup with the L-Coil, a DHS, +3 to hit Gyro, and a Cockpit Mod.

I'm wondering if a Heat Exchanger might be the better option vs the DHS. My only concern is, how costly freeing up an extra ton is. Cicadas are fragile and I'd hate to lose that Coil.

Decisions...decisions.

As I recall, a Double Heat Sink provides the best value.

I'm wondering if a Heat Exchanger might be the better option vs the DHS
It won't, heat exchangers don't work with COILs at all.

About DHS, according to indication of Mech Designer you'd need to have at least 2 to be able to shoot once at 6 pips, having guts bonus +15 to overheat threshold. But, the build is possible:
CDA-3C.png

I hate to take the armor out of the arms though. Those arms have save my side torsos a couple of times. If hate to lose the side torsos armor and lose the coil or the DHS. :/

I hate to take the armor out of the arms though. Those arms have save my side torsos a couple of times. If hate to lose the side torsos armor and lose the coil or the DHS. :/
As you see one DHS is disabled, which means it may be dropped, and 1t used for something else - like armoring up arms. 3 DHS are a must if you don't have guts giving +15 overheat threshold.

I use a Coil-L in the custom assassin i got in a mission from Hyades Rim mod. I deliver 140 dmg shots regularly, so i like the little beast. But i also use DHS and a pilot with coolant vent skill with it.

I liked a COIL-M in an Assassin as the COIL-M just got too hot. An easy 100-125 damage with a sure footed pilot and the Assassin quirk did a great job early game when it fell off the truck.

A 5/8 mech like the Big Steel Claw did great with a COIL-L and an AC-5. Easily got 120+ damage without too much heat. Didn't have DHS in either set up.

I've never tried a 10 Pilot with a COIL, do they get another evasion chevron beyond what Sure Footing gets them?

I've played a lot an ASN with Coil-L, around 3/4 of two solo Careers and levelling my only pilot as an Ace Pilot + Bullwark. AP not being very useful but it is later when transitioned to a heavier mech. Also two DHS and a RF+++.

I've never tried a 10 Pilot with a COIL, do they get another evasion chevron beyond what Sure Footing gets them?
Nope. That is evasion but doesn't count as eva chevrons, same as the inherent bonus from light/med mechs.

I prefer M Coil assasin. The built-in targeting computer and a called shot at the legs it ideal to stop fast mechs immediately. I took it out of the setup when I was able to bring 4th heavy mech. The 101-variant could be nice using a TAG beside M Coil.

I've ran that quite a bit too. I think I like the Cicada because the weapon is less exposed. If the Assassin had the weapon in the torso, I'd feel a little better.

I do use the Assassin if I get one early. It's ability to ignore evasion works well when all I have is scrub pilots.

• 2Like
Reactions:
A heat exchanger is a system used to transfer heat between two or more fluids. Heat exchangers are used in both cooling and heating processes. The fluids may be separated by a solid wall to prevent mixing or they may be in direct contact.
Shell and coil heat exchanger is commonly applied for cooling and (re)heating of smaller installations

I dropped a fully LosTech'd up Royal Marauder one hex away from a 60L, you don't need to convince me of anything. Thank goodness it whiffed on the shot. :v

Even a non-working clock gets the time right twice in a day ;)

Even a non-working clock gets the time right twice in a day ;)
Lucky.

The display on my broken electric clock just sits there, across the room taunting me with its enigmatic, unfathomable, inscrutable self…

Lucky.

The display on my broken electric clock just sits there, across the room taunting me with its enigmatic, unfathomable, inscrutable self…

You've just perfectly described the look of every Cicada in my Mech Bay.

• 1Like
Reactions: