• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nikolai

Basileus Romaion
78 Badges
Jun 17, 2001
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
King Boleslaw II “the Bold”

(1066-1098)

q1mVyJr.png

Boleslaw II, the first of the Polish rulers to be covered in this chronicle, is well known among Polish school children of any age. He pales in comparision to his son and successor, but holds a dear place in Polish history for beginning the resurgence of Poland.

Family

Boleslaw II was married twice. First to a Rurikid, Wyszeslawa, whose marriage brought valuable allies to the Polish realm. Then to Miroslava Trpimirovic in his later years, before succumbing to an assassin’s blade.

He sired only two children, of which the eldest would later be king, the great king Kazimierz I:

Kazimierz

Boleslaw

His reign

The reign of Boleslaw II “the Bold” would see three major wars, one major religious conflict and a failed crusade.

Early on in his reign, he would go to war with the pagan realm of Pomerania for the county of Swiecie. Pomerania could offer little resistance, and soon caved in for his demands.

Then Boleslaw II turned on his neighbor the kingdom of Galicia-Volhynia, with the help of his Rurikid allies to their east, effectively boxing in the Galicians. The war was fought for the claims of the Prince-Bishop of Sacz, and within short time, the war was won.

The third war was forced upon him, though, and was a difficult affair. The king of Bohemia, a vassal of the Holy Roman Empire and married to Boleslaw’s sister, claimed his right to Polish lands at the border, and invaded with a force almost twice that which Boleslaw could muster. Thanks only to Rurikid reinforcements and a fateful division of Bohemia’s forces, did the Polish after some initial losses of land manage to beat back the Bohemians, routing their forces six times, retaking the lost land and go on the offensive. In the end, the war was won.

During this struggle, the Waldensian heresy rose its ugly head in Poland. With a duke and several counts among its adherants, the Waldensians soon was a majority of almost half of Poland. King Boleslaw II rightly feared for his kingdom’s future, as Waldensianism was not widespread anywhere else and there was a chance the Pope and Catholic Europe would intervene, which could cost him his kingdom.

Boleslaw thus went on a diplomatic offensive, bribing the counts that had converted to return to the Catholic fold. Only the duke stubbornly refused. But soon, most of the Waldensian faithful returned to the fold.

Meanwhile, the Pope had declared a Crusade for the kingdom of Jerusalem, citing the faithful of the Holy Land’s misfortune of being ruled by the heathen Muslims who were allegedly hindering pilgrims from visiting Jerusalem and the places Jesus had thread.

This gave Boleslaw reprive to deal with his own heretics in peace, and he promised the Pope a hefty sum of gold, but no troops, for the coming Crusade. The Crusade would eventually fail, but Poland was in the meantime again majority Catholic.

yZDFxEs.png

At this time Boleslaw II was still in his prime, and many is it who have speculated what could have been. The king was not to rule longer than to 1098 though, as he was murdered in his sleep by unknown assassins, with his guards hearing nothing. Naturally, these guards were punished, but however much Boleslaw II’s son and heir Kazimierz I enquired, no one had heard, nor seen, anything. Several years later, as we will see, a possible culprit was found, but nothing definitive was ever found either way.

1GTkyR2.png

Aftermath

King Boleslaw II “the Bold” is widely regarded as an important person in Polish history, both because he build the fundations for the Polish upswing that would follow during his successors, but also because he by the Catholic populace is seen as a holy man, who singlehandedly reversed the spread of Waldensianism.

p9lYbdJ.png

The realm and the world around it at the death of king Boleslaw II “the Bold”.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Here as always for a new Nikolai AAR.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Here as always for a new Nikolai AAR.
Welcome! I promise you the next few rulers (I'm on my fourth) will be a good read. :D Also, please don't forget my Stellaris AAR. It has got one (1) comment in all in one week and two updates. It needs love. ;)

• 3Like
Reactions:
Great! Finally caught up to an AAR of Nikolai, this time at its start! Bon courage with the run! (...or it looks somewhat already advanced in time; goodbye selçuks - hello persia)

1624703563035.jpeg
"Illustration of filcat readying the riders for the aar" [- or actually The King of Dongdan rides forth, Song dynasty period painting, artist unknown, 10.-13. centuries ce]

Edit: Corrected the image caption style.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Great! Finally caught up to an AAR of Nikolai, this time at its start! Bon courage with the run! (...or it looks somewhat already advanced in time; goodbye selçuks - hello persia)

View attachment 734825Illustration of filcat readying the riders for the aar [- or actually The King of Dongdan rides forth, Song dynasty period painting, artist unknown, 10.-13. centuries ce]
Loving the illustration. :D

Welcome to the very start of my AAR, indeed! Right now ingame I've reached the late 1100s. :) This first ruler only places us in the late late 1000s, though.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Right now ingame I've reached the late 1100s. :) This first ruler only places us in the late late 1000s, though.
Cool, hope the run goes well without any trouble, considering possible or impending patches-dlc's-etc. Be vigilant [1].

[1] Be vigilant, direct quote borrowed from beneath a steel sky, revolution software, 20. century ce (~1994-1995).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Cool, hope the run goes well without any trouble, considering possible or impending patches-dlc's-etc. Be vigilant [1].

[1] Be vigilant, direct quote borrowed from beneath a steel sky, revolution software, 20. century ce (~1994-1995).
Yeah, that could be a worry. We'll see. :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:

This is why I myself decided to begin a CK2 AAR rather than risk one here. Better the devil you know... :p

Quite a busy start to our dear Poland, I never quite understood how heresies suddenly appear in CK3, but it's always interesting as multiple rulers switch at once. Hopefully Poland remains the bulwark of Catholicism in the East.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Being very new to CKIII, I still occasionally jump with surprise whenever my character gets murdered. Hopefully your Kingdom recovers from the shock quickly enough.
Funny you should mention it… I just had 3 rulers die due to assassination in the middle of a huge civil war just today…
This is why I myself decided to begin a CK2 AAR rather than risk one here. Better the devil you know... :p

Quite a busy start to our dear Poland, I never quite understood how heresies suddenly appear in CK3, but it's always interesting as multiple rulers switch at once. Hopefully Poland remains the bulwark of Catholicism in the East.
When a heresy appears, rulers get the option to condemn of convert. Poland will remain a bulwark of Catholisism, but a certain event somewhat further down the line means a portion of the realm is protected from forced conversion… Also, funny story about this heir I get later…

• 1Like
Reactions:
I look forward to reading about the future fortunes of Poland!

Reactions:
Need Competent Bodyguards. Paradox, why are CK3 AARs not on AAR page but on CK3 page. Maybe could have thread from both!
Yeah, well it seems that the Paradox forum devs don’t care unfortunately. :(
I look forward to reading about the future fortunes of Poland!
I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

• 1Like
Reactions:
King Kazimierz (1098-1156)
King Kazimierz

(1098-1156)

2a7XBis.png

King Kazimierz, ruling for well over five decades, would see wars won and his kingdom enlarged, but also his fair amount of losses.

Family

King Kazimierz was married twice, and sired with the two wives a total of eleven children. None of them would inherit the kingdom:

Kazimierz

Aldona

Mściwój

Małgorzata

Szczęsny

Elżbieta

Zofia

Barbara

Adelajda

Gertruda

Wincenty

His reign

Starting his reign, king Kazimierz went to war with the pagan realm of Pomerania, a war which were won easily when the opposing duke was captured in battle. When his vassals shortly after demanded a lowering of the crown authority, he famously refused with a laugh. A laugh he would have to swallow when the civil war ended with him losing.

One of the results from this loss was that the Waldensian rulers in Poland was secured a right of worship and that the king could not demand their conversion. As such, the stronghold of Waldensianism in the western part of Poland became entrenched.

Not deterred, though, Kazimierz renewed war with the pagans to the north, stripping the duke of Pomeralia for his main duchy, and at the same time defeating a pagan rebellion in Pomerania.

A problem closer to home came to the forefront at this time, however. His father had been murdered by unknown assassins, and new bodies were still showing up at court. It was clear someone was on a murder spree. More guards were hired, spies sent out to gather intelligence, but still the Queen was found dead one morning, murdered.

F7hS2es.png

In the end, the culprit was found, and the source of this evil was a shock to everyone. The murderer turned out to be the archbishop Krystyn himself, the Pope’s representative in Poland. Enraged, the king ordered his capture and plunged his sword into the man, screaming his father’s and wife’s names as the life of the archbishop slowly faded.

Following this incident, the king plunged himself into wars. New wars all the time. The duchy of Veletia was taken from the pagans holding it, the same happened to the duchy of Luticia. He offered assistance as his eldest son and heir invaded Sweden from his island base of Öland, inherited from his deceased mother.

He then turned to the Holy Roman Empire, conquering with ease the duchy of Moravia from the Emperor who suffered a civil war at the time. Unfortunately, his chosen duke in Moravia engineered the death of the king of Bohemia, inheriting and returning the duchy to the HRE mere months after.

New holy wars were fought, in Courland and Masuria, with even more intensity as the stories of the king’s new wife’s many affairs kept coming. The biggest war against a pagan realm so far was against the kingdom of Estonia, where Kazimierz demanded and got the high chiefdom of Livonia.

During this war, there were many losses of troops to the difficult terrain and Poland became weakened. This was exploited by the king of Bohemia, previously a friend of the king, who treacherously declared war on Poland for a border province. The war with Bohemia was ultimately lost.

New victories emerged, though, as the count of Jersika and the duke of Lithunania willingly submitted as vassals to Poland without any bloodshed. This diplomatic coup and a successful war with Sweden for the county of Möre emboldened Kazimierz to declare war on the duchy of Samogitia for the land belonging to the duchy of Lithuania they controlled.

This turned out to be a mistake, as the duke of Samogitia was in the process of marying a Byzantine princess, and mere months after the war started allied the powerful Empire to the south. The Byzantines answered the call to arms and soon Poland swarmed with enemy armies. The war was quickly lost, Poland’s finest lying in the dirt, dead.

At this time, the Pope called for a Second Crusade for Jerusalem. The Crusade would ultimately end in success, but king Kazimierz did not dare sending troops far away to the Levant with his weakened position and instead sent a fair amount of gold to the Pope.

Then, he began worrying for the succession. He was old and frail and his son and heir with his entire family, living in Swedish lands, had gone native and become Swedish in culture. Kazimierz worried this would jeopardize the future reign of his house, but the worst had not yet happened. His heir was captured in battle and castrated, meaning he would never be accepted as heir. Soon he died, but it was made clear that his son would not be accepted either.

The new heir was now Kazimierz’s grandchild by his second son, the next generation now quickly dying out as Kazimierz neared his 83rd year. The problem was, this child and his entire family were Waldensian. If not Kazimierz could convince the child to inherit, the kingdom could well become Waldensian. And the Pope warned Crusades could be used both in Muslim as well as heretic Christian lands.

xEOgAz5.png

Kazimierz did not get a conversion out of his grandson. The coming king Czcibór promised to consider the problem, but made no further promises. And then, king Kazimierz died, aged 83, as the future of an independent Poland seemed in peril.

Aftermath

King Kazimierz’s reign was long and eventful. He expanded the Polish realm greatly, but did also leave an uncertain inherance. His successor’s reign would prove to be decisive in many ways.

ilEqmSU.jpg

The world map as of king Kazimierz’s death in 1156.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Kazimierz had a lot of strife in his life; and his Waldensian grandson seems likely to endure a lot more.

Reactions:
Kazimierz had a lot of strife in his life; and his Waldensian grandson seems likely to endure a lot more.
He sure have some choices to do early on. Like, is my throne worth a mass?

• 1Like
Reactions:
A chaotic reign in life, and a chaotic succession in death. I imagine King Kazimierz will be a popular subject for bards and historians alike, as his tumultuous highs and lows leave so many seeds for speculation.

Reactions: