• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Seems as if HoI might need a BB point system for neutrals as well. :)

Enjoying this one, Peter. I have found that as a neutral, no-one wants me in their alliance. Of course, this could be due to me not being a great military power, though.

Originally posted by ehrie
I personally can't wait to see his Conquering the World with Belguim AAR. :p

Bah! Think bigger ... think Luxembourg. ;)

BTW, negative war entry means that a portion of that country's population is of French descendancy. :D

Stunningly silly AAR (yes, that's a compliment) ... keep up the great work.

Bombs away,
CK

Chopsticks in the Mist

An excerpt from the bestselling easily digestible popular war analysis: "That Was The World That Was":

Chapter 5: The Panda Unleashed!

The Encirclement Strategy Succesful, July 26th, 1937
chopstick_1937_06_26_japanpocket.jpg

...With the eviction of the imperialist aggressors from the mainland of China, the front shifted again. Bhutan, Nepal, and Saudi Arabia fell to Chinese expeditionary forces in October, and Yemen and Oman in early November. Meanwhile, the war college had finally implemented the Static Defense Doctrine, and the newly raised reinforced infantry divisions (with attached artillery brigades) and the first of the New Tank Army (divisions I, II, and III, also artillery reinforced) had joined them. Even as construction began on a substantial naval force, twenty coastal submarine groups, Field Marshal Chiang Kai-Shek took control of the first truly powerful mobile force in China: The Old Tank Army, the New Tank Army, and the three cavalry divisions: Seven mobile and powerful divisions in all. Field Marshal Lu Han led six infantry divisions and four AA mountaineer divisions (these making up the entirety of China's modern forces), and twenty militia divisions fleshed out the force. Unlike previous wars, the militia was no longer intended to take the brunt of the attack, but rather to hold ground in the face of enemy counterattacks. Air Marshall Chennault controlling two groups of fighters, one of tactical bombers, one of dive bombers, and, indeed, one of naval bombers, was to support the group forces and keep the skies clean, as well as his outdated material would allow him to.

Though trepidation was high in the war college (witness the minutes of the general staff in appendix C17, C18, and C20-22), the order to invade was never really in doubt. China needed the industry to face Japan and the other World Powers on an equal footing, and Europe could provide it.

On November 14th, 1937, the tanks rolled across the border of Romania, and for the next four months, it wasn't quiet on the western front. A desperate attempt to contain the advancing Chinese failed as the tanks blasted through the lines and continued straight towards the capital, and only a week later, on November 21st, Romania surrendered.

This pattern was subsequently repeated in Hungary (November 26th - December 1st), Yugoslavia (December 6th - 11th), and Albania (December 17th - 20th). The next target was Austria...

Just before the invasion of Austria, December 20th, 1937
chopstick_1937_12_20_austria.jpg

Austria set a new record by keeping up the fight for nine days (December 20th - 29th), which was, however, beaten by Czechoslovakia (January 7th - January 29th), a full 22 days. Switzerland, however, only survived 12 days (February 8th - February 20th)

What was the driving force behind such unbridled aggression? Why didn't the powers of Europe react to these rampant annexations? These questions, among others, have puzzled most war scholars, but I believe I have the answer, or, at least, one possible answer....

THIS PARAGRAPH WAS CENSORED BY THE DIVINE MINSTRY FOR STATE SECURITY. IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY READ THE PARAGRAPH, PLEASE TURN YOURSELF IN AT THE LOCAL DMSS OFFICE FOR MENTAL READJUSTMENT

Surprising, yes, but it all fits together.

Chapter 6: 1st Great Research Year

On February 23rd, 1938, the government proclaimed the year to be the first Chinese Research Year, and everybody not engaged in the army or producing consumer goods began innovating at home. Nearly everybody, that is. Immense public works were initiated, as Chiang Kai-shek declared that every single European province was to have at least L3 Anti-Air defenses, that every single border province with the "foreign devils" in Europe should be fortified, that the entire coast of the adritatic and all of mainland China and Korea's coast should have coastal fortifications to deter attacks, and that every province with IC less than three be upgraded. And, of course, the crews of the coastal submarine force were to make life miserable for Japanse convoys. But apart from that, everybody pitched in, and China was at peace except for the ongoing war with Japan. The western border, however, was a bit tense.

The Dangerous Border, January 1st, 1939
chopstick_1939_01_01_westborder.jpg

Mighty China, January 1st, 1939
chopstick_1939_01_01_eurasia.jpg

And the research paid off. A baker in Shanghai invented early infantry weapons, and a housewife divined the secret of Catalytic Cracking from reading a forune cookie. These are just two amongst many such examples. All in all, at the end of the 1st Research Year, China gained knowledge of Early Infantry Weapons, the Light Mortar, Special Warfare Equipment*, Riveted Armour, Hydrogenation, Plastics, Catalytic Cracking Plants, a Great War Analysis for both land and naval doctrines, Static Defense and Motorized Warfare Doctrines, and Pre-War Field Testing of land doctrines. Amazing what the minds of the public can think up when properly indoctrinated. It was estimated that China now was only some 90-100 major inventions behind Japan, so all in all, it was a good year for the boffins and boffinettes.

(*) However, since China had no knowledge of Nylon, no practical applications were found, but it is the thought that counts.

Industry, January 1st, 1939

IC: 814 (of which approx. 371 is available for production, research, consumer goods, and supplies)
Coal: 2470 (plenty)
Steel: 1710 (plenty)
Rubber: 40 (substantially less than daily consumption, trading is unable to make up the slack, and stocks, though still huge, are falling)
Oil: 444 (plenty)
Manpower: 164 (insufficient to replace casualties)

Leaders of note, by rank and skill:

Field Marshals: 10/8/7/7/3/3/2
Generals: 4/4/4/3 and a lot of 2's
Air Marshall: 5 (Chennault, in charge of entire air force)
Admiral: 1 (Liu, great experience in sinking convoys, little in actual battles)

Army:

10 Infantry divisions (8 ART)
3 Cavalry divisions
4 Armoured (pre-war) divisions (3 ART)
4 Mountaineer divisions (AA)
48 Militia divisions

In production: 4 Infantry (AA) and 2 Mechanized (E)

Airforce:

2 Fighter (pre-war) Squadrons
1 Tactical (pre-war) Squadron
1 Dive (pre-war) Squadron
1 Naval (pre-war) Squadron
1 Transport Squadron

Navy:

5 Cruiser (pre-war) Groups
1 Destroyer (pre-war) Group
20 Coastal Submarine Groups

...To be continued...

Good job Peter.

That tiny bottleneck between USSR and Birtish India is a weak point though, should they invade that prov, your supply line would be disrupted (but you already know that..)

:)

Originally posted by Eochaid
Good job Peter.

That tiny bottleneck between USSR and Birtish India is a weak point though, should they invade that prov, your supply line would be disrupted (but you already know that..)

That tiny bottleneck is Kabul. Its defenses are constantly being upgraded.

Now that's an impressing Eurasian Empire :eek:

But as soon as Stalin wakes up one morning with a bad mood, you're toast! :D

Originally posted by Peter Ebbesen
That tiny bottleneck is Kabul. Its defenses are constantly being upgraded.
Part of the preemptive strike against terrorism, IIRC? Very prescient of the master.

One correction you could make the next time is to DOW a insignificant nation like Haiti right away. That way, you are at war all the time and your consumer goods requirements will always be lower. Plus you can plug it through your narrative all you want. It's total 1984 to have a nation enduring hardship to fight an enemy they've never heard of.

- rmcleo: Well, there aren't all that many days where China isn't at war in the narrative until now, but what you suggest make excellent sense. However, you'd better choose an insignificant nation that you were *damn* sure would never join one of the three alliances, or you might end up in trouble. :)

- Petrarca: Nod-nod. I am also upgrading Tehran and Bagdad... And Sofia, and Vienna, and Belgrade, and...

- Tambourmajor: Nah. Uncle Joe is my pal, and, besides, while he may have slightly more planes and tanks, and while even Russia is greatly superior in tech, I have the largest militia in the world, redeployable everywhere in Eurasia within a few days. This AAR would be rather different if I had to march my soldiers everywhere rather than using the ancient Chinese teleportation devices known as SRD. (Strategic Redeployment Devices). I think I would like to see some more restrictions on SRD in a forthcoming patch. The current rule seems to be that you must own the target province and be capable of tracking a line through owned provinces from the province it was removed from, and though it makes some sense as a tool of convenience when the distances are shorter, this Vienna->Manchuria teleportation in less than a week is just too absurd. (Which won't prevent me from using it in this AAR, naturally :D)

Of course, if those twenty-plus Italians and their thirty-plus German friends come marching one day, and Uncle Joe joins the fun, then.... It will be fortunate that I have even more defensive depth than the USSR, assuming I manage to perform a crippling strike northwards from Tehran or Lhasa, cutting the USSR in twain.

Originally posted by Peter Ebbesen
- rmcleo: Well, there aren't all that many days where China isn't at war in the narrative until now, but what you suggest make excellent sense. However, you'd better choose an insignificant nation that you were *damn* sure would never join one of the three alliances, or you might end up in trouble. :)

It actually doesn't matter if they join one of the three alliances post-DOW. The game doesn't check (or doesn't care), so if the Japanese DOW the Dutch and later the Dutch join the Allies, Japan is not at war with the allies, just the Dutch.

Aha HOI gets to feel the force of the Conqueror! Good work Peter.

Industry, January 1st, 1939

IC: 814 (of which approx. 371 is available for production, research, consumer goods, and supplies)
Coal: 2470 (plenty)
Steel: 1710 (plenty)
Rubber: 40 (substantially less than daily consumption, trading is unable to make up the slack, and stocks, though still huge, are falling)
Oil: 444 (plenty)
Manpower: 164 (insufficient to replace casualties)

Now if you think 164 manpower is insufficient to replace losses try taking a country like Bulgaria in 1939. You set off with a nice army and airforce and think you can waft over Turkey/Persia/Romania/etc and then suddenly realise you've got no men left in the pool, you're getting like 40 replacements a month and cann't even replace losses to existing units! A real eye opener. Suddenly the number of IC's a province gives isn't what you're bothered about. Still who wants it easy :D

The sun never sets on the Yellow Menace

The tech boom should come sometime soon for you, it seems. With that kind of overwhelming IC output, you will a force for any of the European powers to reckon with. Even if you don't become a member of the Commitern or Allies, you can still take huge chunks out of Germany or Italy without fear of larger reprisal...not to mention their tasty asian/african colonies.
The deadly Japanese are a whole other matter entirely though. :p

It is a real shame though. I guess you won't ever manage to pull off your goal of sending a troop transport over to Japan. Sending a Nuclear-powered Battleship is a whole other story though.... :D :D :D

Originally posted by rmcleod
It actually doesn't matter if they join one of the three alliances post-DOW. The game doesn't check (or doesn't care), so if the Japanese DOW the Dutch and later the Dutch join the Allies, Japan is not at war with the allies, just the Dutch.

Well, that just wouldn't be realistic!

Never mind the realism of this current Chinese empire :D

Originally posted by rmcleod
Yes, I discovered this a few hours after writing. Details to follow in the next installment. :)

Re: The sun never sets on the Yellow Menace

Originally posted by PriestOfDiscord
The tech boom should come sometime soon for you, it seems. With that kind of overwhelming IC output, you will a force for any of the European powers to reckon with. Even if you don't become a member of the Commitern or Allies, you can still take huge chunks out of Germany or Italy without fear of larger reprisal...not to mention their tasty asian/african colonies.
The deadly Japanese are a whole other matter entirely though. :p
Severely lacking in ambition :p I think it is safe to guess, that this is the first AAR by me that you are reading :D

Last edited:
I knew it would come to this. Chiang Kai-Shek sits around in Austria waiting for Rommel to come and be annihilated! :eek: :D

Your IC has soared massively... soon you'll be able to take on the big ones. And by 1947, I predict a very yellow Eurasia...

Are you going to ally with any of the big powers? If you do so you won’t be able to complete your WC :D.

Good luck fighting the German…

Originally posted by Sam Vimes
Are you going to ally with any of the big powers? If you do so you won?t be able to complete your WC :D.
Doesn't the game end automatically once either the Axis or Allies have been defeated and annexed anyhow?

Last edited: