• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well you can always try to conquer your neighbours. Or in that event that comes along go for the explorer/colonizer choice.

Well, i suppose it can get rather boring after a while - seems way too easy to make for an interesting game :)

well, i had some fun with version 1.01. my goals for this game with china was the conquest of venice, the annex of papal states and the sack of london. i achieved all until 1770ies. it was fun but also quite tough: due to cultural and religious differences every stab loss was quite a horror with much revolting. and of course the absence of bad boy wars made it all much easier:)

-JB

Originally posted by John Buford
well, i had some fun with version 1.01. my goals for this game with china was the conquest of venice, the annex of papal states and the sack of london. i achieved all until 1770ies. it was fun but also quite tough: due to cultural and religious differences every stab loss was quite a horror with much revolting. and of course the absence of bad boy wars made it all much easier:)

-JB

If you set yourself goals like that, i can imagine that its a little more challenging ;)

I'm a little disappointed that Mongolia isn't included in the world map--There just isn't enough threats from the north to challenge China's power. A China with no worries from the northern barbarians is as good as invincible--Not very historical!

Also, China is way too stable in its current state. The Han people of China didn't all share the exact same culture or language. At the sign of weakness, local warlords were quick to declare independence.

To weaken China (not historically right tho) we could delete the cantoneese culture as a state one. It WOULD HAVE to coase some problems. But in a few games I saw Manchu getting the upper hand but the province with the capital always stops the northeners, they don't go any further than that. It's a pity there isn't a Mongolia, Manchu could then stream across Mongolia to take more of China, and historiaclly there was a trade road form Kiachta near lake Baikal to Beijing so I have no ideas why that is PTI terrain

Originally posted by Mamut
To weaken China (not historically right tho) we could delete the cantoneese culture as a state one. It WOULD HAVE to coase some problems. But in a few games I saw Manchu getting the upper hand but the province with the capital always stops the northeners, they don't go any further than that. It's a pity there isn't a Mongolia, Manchu could then stream across Mongolia to take more of China, and historiaclly there was a trade road form Kiachta near lake Baikal to Beijing so I have no ideas why that is PTI terrain

The Chinese capital is better than the great wall in stopping the Manchu!!:D

Ah, an aggressive Mongolia would provide a great balance--Of course, the Mongolian provinces should be very defensible as well. A Mongolian/Manchu alliance would be sufficient headache for China...

Btw, I don't understand why the programmers have Cantonese as the state culture--Cantonese was and still is a minority culture, Mandarin was the main culture/language.:cool:

Yeah, IMHO Mongolia is the biggest PTI blunder in the game. I said as soon as I saw the map in beta testing, but by that point the provinces of the map were already set in stone... :(

yeah, i don't think that the cantonese during the peariod were too upset about being part of the Chinese Empire.

I think a big part of it has to do with the Mongols, and the fact that they aren't there. I mean, the entire Ming Dynasty was all about keeping the Mongols at bay.

I think we had a discussion before about how to tone down China. I think a big thing would be to give the Chinese some sort of natural disadvantage against the northern nomads. I always find myself wasting Manchuria too early.

We could also make events (like warlords) to show China's tendency to go through periods of unity and fragmentation.

One could easily make the revolters Liang, Yan, Wei, Shu and Wu - revolters in certain regions of China would always name their nations these names.

That could be easily edited in the game, in fact. Al we would need would be someone to make the shields/flags.

I rather liked playing China.
Ya it was a little on the easy side, but I made it priority #1 to convert all within my realm to Confucianist.
That made it somewhat intriguing.

Guys, I wouldn't be happy if the general revolt rate skyrocketed just to keep China in place--It then would be more frustrating than fun. What's the fun of constantly fight those annoying red rebels?

Instead, I suggest that certain ethnic regions--perhaps, Canton--would try to declare independence from China. This new country would ally with China's enemies to balance the region. Ah, the republic of Canton *drooling* :p

Still, without Mongolia the Ming Dynasty is just not the same: It was the Ming who built the modern Great Walls which we see together... :(

Originally posted by Xanadu
I rather liked playing China.
Ya it was a little on the easy side, but I made it priority #1 to convert all within my realm to Confucianist.
That made it somewhat intriguing.

That's just frustrating. :/

I'm playing as china in my second game of EU2. It's pretty easy, but I'm having fun. I took out manchu, korea and Japan, but after that I have been focusing of colonizing the new world, and leaving asia alone. There's something compelling fighting spain in texas and portugese brazil.

And I definately don't think there should be more revolts, I've already had 2 civil war events. Not pleasant.

Myrddin