• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
With 21 IC you should be able to crank out enough infantry to make the Japanese pay for every province.

Somua53 said:
With 21 IC you should be able to crank out enough infantry to make the Japanese pay for every province.
I have played to the beginning of the Sino-Japanese war (3 days into the war - the unified front hasn't fired yet), and I've found that with 1 inf and 1 mtn run going I have only enough time to get 5 or 6 divisions in each of my 4 border provinces... fortunately, I have some nice mountains to fall back to if things go badly.

So you are going to start fighting Japanese form the begining. No backstabing Nationalists, and not joining Unified front (at least I heard that it was possible, tough in my DD campaign neither that or Xi'ian incidents events form me popped up).

China Rules the Seas
A Chinese Naval AAR

chcflag.gif

The Early Years: Part 3

Those Japanese divisions on the border look a bit ominous:

ScreenSave71.jpg

Fortunately the Red Army's recruitment program was able to raise enough divisions to have 6 Infantry divisions in Tianjin and Beiping, 5 Mountaineers in Kalgan, and 5 Infantry divisions in Jining.

The Secret Police had also been very active in destroying any spies within Communist territory:

ScreenSave76-2.jpg

Therefore, the Red Army was prepared for any confrontation with Japan, and, with its contingency plan for such an event (Operation Fading Sun), morale was high in the Red Army, which was confident in an easy victory.

But during peacetime, battles had been won on the technological front as well:

With the new availability of Shanxi's industry, work could begin on a second project:

ScreenSave48.jpg

Soon, Deng Xiaoping had developed the proper way to use railroads along with the Red Army, and he began developing Basic Machine Tools, to further our usage of Shanxi's industry.

ScreenSave56.jpg

Once the General Armament Department had developed Early Cavalry, the General Armament Department began developing a way to mechanically count the number of people in Communist territory:

ScreenSave61.jpg

Once Deng Xiaoping created the first machine tools ever to be used in China, Lin Pao worked to begin development of new military tactics, to aid in Operation Fading Sun.

ScreenSave69.jpg

Now, all that remained was to wait for the inevitable Japanese declaration of war...

Communist China! I will be watching this one.

Very interesting concept here. I will keep up as much as possible. So far things seem to be progressing smoothly. War with Japan will certainly test you. Good luck.

China Rules the Seas
A Chinese Naval AAR

chcflag.gif

Operation Fading Sun: Part 1

In the 1930's, there was never any permanent peace in fractured China. On June 11, 1937, Nationalist forces under Field Marshal Feng Yuxiang seized Communist-controlled Beiping and Tianjin. Though they were soon forced out by the superior Red Army, a Japanese soldier went missing during the battle, causing the Marco Polo Bridge Incident. The Japanese demanded that they be allowed to enter Beiping to search for the missing soldier. Chairman Mao Zedong, commander of the Red Army divisions stationed in Beiping, refused, and a battle between the Red Army and the Imperial Japanese Army broke out on the Marco Polo Bridge. While the Red Army forced the Japanese back, and returned the missing soldier, the Japanese used the Marco Polo Bridge Incident as an excuse for a declaration of war on China.

ScreenSave78-1.jpg

The Kuomintang government in Nanjing responded by breaking off all relations with Japan, and transferred all industry in China to the interior, in case of a Japanese penetration into the industry of China. However, Communist forces refused to allow the transfer of any of the industry of the provinces of Shanxi or Shaanxi (or, rather, I commented out the lines that would do that in the event so I wouldn't lose a tech slot).

The Japanese declaration of war did much to help the Communist cause, and produced an influx of new volunteers skilled in mountain climbing:

revitalized.jpg

These mountaineers, along with the mountaineers that had previously defended Kalgan, were moved to the mountainous province of Datong, as part of phase 1 of Operation Fading Sun.

The Japanese forces were also allowed to take the province of Tianjin. The abandonment of both these provinces as part of Operation Fading Sun was used to wear down the Japanese Army by forcing them to retreat as they entered the province, retaking it, and then immediately retreating to lower the infrastructure of the province, seriously hurting the Japanese supply efficiency.

At the same time, the Nationalists proposed an alliance with the Communists, in order to defeat the common Japanese enemy. Chairman Mao made a speech regarding this proposal to the assembly on June 17:

Chairman Mao said:
As much as it pains me to admit it, our glorious Red Army is simply not capable of defeating the inferior Japanese Army on its own. Therefore, we must accept any help that we can get, even if it is from our enemies. So we must accept this Unified Front for now, but once the Japanese Fascist enemies of the People are defeated, then we can destroy the corrupt Nationalists.

On July 4, Nationalist forces entered Communist territory, and despite their inferiority to the Red Army (and the Red Army's doctrinal inferiority to the Japanese Army), did much to help hold the line against the Japanese. Meanwhile, the Operation Fading Sun tactic of wearing down the Japanese by counterattacking continued:

ScreenSave89.jpg

Unfortunately, this also took a toll on the leadership of the Red Army:

ScreenSave93-1.jpg

Eventually, when the Japanese Army seemed to be weakening, an attack was made on the territory of Chengde:

ScreenSave100.jpg

This attack was repelled after the Red Army took Chengde, but, further south, things looked bad:

ScreenSave102-1.jpg

Subscribed!

Ah, those pesky japanese naval landings. But the communist dream should eventually take care of that, in the mean time... ;)

Hmm, what about taking up defences behind that huge river and allow for a corridor in which the Japanese can happily do battle on the Nationalists? When theyre sufficiently weakened, give em a good kicking?

China Rules the Seas
A Chinese Naval AAR

chcflag.gif

Operation Fading Sun: Part 2

The Japanese assault on Qingdao forced the Communists to commit some forces to the defense of southern Shanxi, until such time as Nationalist and warlord forces could take over.

ScreenSave103.jpg

Japanese forces occupied undefended Jinian on August 26, destroying Deng Xiaoping's experimental Improved Machine Tools in the process (or, in other words, I lost a tech slot and my 90% progress on Improved Machine Tools). A successful counterattack was organized immediately.

ScreenSave108.jpg

Next, further attacks against the Japanese invaders were organized:

ScreenSave111.jpg

ScreenSave114.jpg

But none achieved any more than a temporary victory.

ScreenSave116-1.jpg

But Lin Pao was able to draw upon the experiences in this campaign to produce a whole new set of tactics for fighting along large fronts. This allowed Deng Xiaoping to restart his work on Improved Machine Tools, this time wisely basing his operations in Yan'an. The General Armament Department started working on a Basic Computing Machine in Jinian, ignoring the lesson learned by Deng Xiaoping.

ScreenSave117.jpg

However, things started looking bad on the Northern Front, as Beiping was encircled by the Imperial Japanese Army, due to the Red Army's inability to oust Japan's 22 division occupation force of Kalgan:

ScreenSave120.jpg