• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An excellent AAR all-round. Well-played and narrated. I admire your ability to wrap it up before the game got too boring or slow to play / write about. Always leave them wanting more!

Looking forward to your next adventure.

An excellent AAR all-round. Well-played and narrated. I admire your ability to wrap it up before the game got too boring or slow to play / write about. Always leave them wanting more!

Looking forward to your next adventure.

I can only echo this. As someone who's just got into Victoria 2 AARs this was a cracking read, and the fact that you're able to recognize when is fitting to end your AAR (and I know the temptation to just go on and on and on and on and on... is there) is testament to your skill as a writer.

Consider me signed up for your next foray!

Excellent AAR once again, thanks!

I can certainly understand you stopping it when you did. I would have done the same, since there was no longer any real challenge left. It was interesting and educational following it though. Good job on it!

Thanks much! [EDIT: and also thanks to AllMyJames and Iain Wilson, our posts crossed!]

...some nations have innate advantages. It can be argued that China is too easy to civilise in the game, but if that is ignored then the combination of vast territories and high population is the result of history rather than a failure to balance. Balance, in this respect, is more properly the preserve of games that don't take history as their starting point.

True, but I was making a slightly different point, that if in real-life country X had 'power' Y (and your point is that Y is a function of X (as it should be), and not constant), my point is that when you play them you'll have power k*Y, where k is much greater than 1.

This is true, but situational. For a globe-spanning empire like the UK warscore is a must if you can't compete with them navally (and most can't). For more territorially compact states you can just go all-out for occupation, surrounding any armies you come across.

You've said it better than I did, thanks.
I alluded to this earlier in the play-by-play descriptions, but not in the summary.

In the games I've played, the only country against whom battle score was important was China, and that was because they could throw so many troops at my small yet professional Japanese army that I couldn't hope to gain the breathing space for many successful occupations.

I read a Prussian AAR which alluded to a similar dynamic against France, wish I could remember which one. And in my Scandinavia AAR, that was the dynamic used against both Russia and Austria.

Anyhow, thanks again for another interesting and fun AAR. Hope your time with the V2 Advisor brings you back here soon. :)

Thanks! China kinda was burning me out on the game, I hope this will be the 'pause that refreshes' :)

Oh, and I'd be happy to post the save-game - how do you attach a file to a post?

Oh, and I'd be happy to post the save-game - how do you attach a file to a post?

I've been wondering that for a long time, but haven't had the guts to ask.

Have I scared everyone off?

I dont know how to post something directly but you could just upload it to rapidshare or similar and post a link

*claps* :D

This has been one hell of a ride - it might not have been a life or death struggle after the first wars, but the sheer scale of the operations and the epicness of an expanding Chinese Europe made it something special. My only regret is that we didn't get to see the label 'Chinese Britain' but at least it was implied (speaking of labels, have you tried loading that save after your last session? Sometimes the labels are generated differently after a reload, so there might be a bigger 'Chinese Europe' or even a 'Chinese Britain'...).

very high infamy (I think it's still around 20).

lol, in my Japan game (at around 1885 now I believe) I control Brunei, Korea, all of Northern China (not south of Beijing, however), Cambodia (w/ puppeted Dai Nam), and my infamy is hovering somewhere around 70 or 80 ;)

*claps* :D

This has been one hell of a ride - it might not have been a life or death struggle after the first wars, but the sheer scale of the operations and the epicness of an expanding Chinese Europe made it something special. My only regret is that we didn't get to see the label 'Chinese Britain' but at least it was implied (speaking of labels, have you tried loading that save after your last session? Sometimes the labels are generated differently after a reload, so there might be a bigger 'Chinese Europe' or even a 'Chinese Britain'...).

Thanks for the thanks! I have reloaded the save, haven't seen the labels move, somehow that became quite the obsession with me :)

I have a sneaking suspicion that 'Chinese Europe' wouldn't get a lot bigger until Osterreich became chinese, and as that's the province that has the Austrian capital it wouldn't be for a while :(

lol, in my Japan game (at around 1885 now I believe) I control Brunei, Korea, all of Northern China (not south of Beijing, however), Cambodia (w/ puppeted Dai Nam), and my infamy is hovering somewhere around 70 or 80 ;)

(Re an infamy of 20) - umm, that was around 50 years earlier in the AAR. Glad you're enjoying reading it! I'm not sure what it ended at, it was something ridiculous, over 1000 i think.

you piqued my curiosity - i loaded the game up - China's infamy in 1900:

19008infamy.jpg

just over 1400!