• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'll be glad to help you out with that one :) I think post #61 should be on page 4 (20 per page)...

Regarding the save and AAR, keep up the good work, it seems like you conquer Latin Americas in no time. I'm impatiently awaiting for the next installment as well ;)
How do you mean "the save", CoyoteBeast?

Chimu - the gutsy natives!- A bloody nose

We're currently at war with 2 European powers, and I'll give you one guess at naming one of them. However...
176.png

...after occupying a few of their territories, we quickly white peace out with the other one, Sardinia-Piedmont, the war we didn't want to be in. Now we can fully concentrate on Castille, whom we have been winning some fantastic land battles against, eg.
177.png

In addition, Castille's fleet has mostly been reduced to smithereens.

Haha, Castille offer a white peace in November 1689. Sorry buds, not this time!
178.png

We offered Portugal military access on the offchance (they're already granting it to us), and although it was "Very unlikely", we got a yes!
179.png

Maybe they're less likely to attack us now?

Goias and Diamentina were, with our having colonized the prior-mentioned inland provinces to the north-west, the only South American provinces not yet colonized. I was wondering when someone was going to get round to colonizing them. Then in January 1690, we notice that Goias has been colonized by Castille and has a colony whose size is about 200.
180.png

But hang on - we're at war with Castille! Good timing. Then that's decided - one of our primary war aims will be to seize Goias! Hopefully we can colonize Diamentina at some point too. Always better to instill Animist/Incan culture into a territory from the get-go wherever possible, from our perspective, rather than just having to put up with some European culture and convert it to the Animist religion. As for the war, this is the first time I've seen this:
181.png

We're the ones at 100% war capacity for once. No wonder Castille want a white peace. In April 1690, we march onto that chunk of Castillian South America and face their main army head-on.
182.png

183.png

Very nasty casualties because of the terrain disadvantage, but we win, pursue, and...
184.png

...insta-kill! Now we can occupy this area and seize that colony. Castille have more armies than us, but they're all sitting around in Castille proper. They have zero ships to transport them to the Americas. :)

September 1690 - Operation seize colony is a success. Now that we've seized it, we're going to want to cut some territory through to it so it's contiguous with ours. We'll want at least Mato Grosso from Castille, and Mbaracayu (hey, I didn't name it) from Genoa.
185.png

In June 1691, Portugal start a colonial war against Castille. This keeps getting better and better...
186.png

By October 1691, we're occupying more and more of Castillian South and Central America.
187.png

What's that I smell, Castille? Desperation?

We decide to end the war in December 1691, with Castille's nose bloodied badly. We take their main chunk of South America, and content ourselves with Panama in their Central American teritory; it's hilly, and will give us a nice terrain bonus while defending if they march into it. 24 infamy for this, though, so a diplomat and an embassy are needed quickly. We also now send a colonist to the captured Goias colony to flip its religion/culture.
188.png

In May 1692, our colonist successfully flips the religion/culture of Goias to ours!
189.png

190.png

Portugal seem to be doing alright against Castille in June 1692. Talking of Portugal, we get a core on their Sao Vincente province through a boundary dispute event. Then in January 1693:
191.png

We successfully colonize Diamentina, the last uncolonized South American territory.

July 1693 sees us make another slider change towards quality. I think we pretty much want that slider in the middle. In October 1693, we get government tech 30, allowing for another national idea. For the first time in the game, we actually have the "luxury" of not being completely desperate for a particular national idea. Several are highly desirable, of course, the prime two contenders being Divine Supremacy (giving missionaries to convert those Christian colonies to Animism), and Superior Seamanship (our navies are important, so giving them a morale boost is very nice, especially considering how important a part morale plays in naval battles... often, a fleet that's superior on paper will frustratingly lose and flee to the nearest friendly port because their morale dipped too low!) We end up going for Divine Supremacy, because it's a bit more pressing; our navies seem to be fighting well enough to win naval battles, and we want to get started on the conversion of the whole of South America back to its rightful Animism. We've quite a few provinces to go to do that.
192.png

Ooh, I only just noticed this one by August 1694?! Gold standard? Yes please! Even more inflation reduction.
193.png

In May 1697, Maynas becomes self-sustaining. Boy do we need the money. We're struggling to avoid inflation increases even with a combination of factors reducing our inflation by 0.31 per year!! In June 1698, Cuenca and Canelos also become self-sustaining. Fort building time.

194.png

Ahh, August 1698 and Castille are once again ready for their regular can of whoopass.

In June 1699, Quijos becomes self-sustaining, and in September 1699, so does Goias; later in April 1701, Mariquita will too. Financially, things are easing up now with the reduced colonial maintenance and coring on the odd province.

By June 1700, we're starting to get the odd missionary and convert places away from Christianity. I hadn't seen a pagan missionary before. Looks like a witch doctor? I guess they don't often get the opportunity to do their work. Cool!
195.png

196.png

"The king of Spain wants an update on the subjugation of those Chimu savages! Quickly!!!" "Well, umm... erm..."

May 1701 - Caqueta, with the help of one of our colonists, becomes self-sustaining. Only one colony to go! Aaand in October 1701, Castille finally bow to the inevitable and pay us tribute, as well as dropping their cores on territory we conquered.
197.png

June 1702 sees Diamentina become self-sustaining with the help of a colonist we sent. That's the last province in South America to be fully colonized!
198.png

199.png

August 1703 - And with that, South America is fully fortified. No provinces may now be occupied just by walking onto them. That's nice. Especially as I'm noticing a huge French military build-up right next door.
200.png

Will they attack? Probably. Will they beat us? No way. Here's the overall picture, anyway:
201.png

It's great that we've knocked through Castille's territory in the north-east and colonized those 2 remaining provinces there. Everywhere now has a fort. However, that area is still blocked off from the rest of our territory by Genoa's holdings which we'll want to cut through as mentioned earlier, and there's also a Portugese colony in the region that we have a core on. We're gonna want to absorb all that area into Chimu as well, and then it's pretty much a case of going along the northern coast to finish things up. Stay tuned for the next instalment!

You know who ELSE is at war with Chimu....

MUR-OM!

I still do wonder what happened in Europe that made all those countries move their capitals to the Americas and Africa...
It happens quite often in my games, and the main 2 that moved are Genoa and The Hansa. If it makes more sense to have their capital on another continent (getting tax for provinces instead of tariffs), they'll often move the capital. It's more likely for countries with a small European presence, or whose European presence has been trashed.

What are the advantages of republican dictatorship? I've never picked that one. I'm usually going to contitutional republic for the max magistrate.
Can't you assimilate colonies once the province is taken? I don't know exactly how it worked. I though only European could do that but it was somehow possible (not always!) with Ottomans.

So no obviously you cannot assimilate colonies. I found those requirements. Some look contradictory. How can the owner be in muslim technology while the province's culture european and in the same religion group as owner ?

Province is overseas
Province is in the same religion group as owner
Province does not have the same culture as owner's primary culture
Province's culture is European
Province's population is under 10000
Province is not on the European continent
Province is not in the North Africa or Middle East and Central Asia regions
Owner is in the Western, Oriental, Ottoman or Muslim Technology groups
Owner's primary culture is European
Owner has at least 0 stability
Owner has at least 1 colonist

seems to be working out nicely :).

Nice work on flipping the colonies early. The europeans have it easy there. They can burn a colonist for a flip while the city is below 10.000 inhabitants instead of 1000. no such luck for the natives :p

Imperialism CB on all countries, no slider limitations, policy changes roughly every 10 years.

Only problem with the Dictatorship is the fact that its a republic that rulers reign until death. I had a good leader at a 9 7 9 and right after I went Dictator, he died and I was stuck with a 3 4 3. He ruled for nearly 40 years...

Same thing you would get with a monarchy though ATBKing so not really any disadvantage to Republican Dictatorship in itself.

I, however, tend to simply stick to monarchy. If I am fighting a warring game then Absolute Monarchy is great for the extra discipline and the Imperialism CB. If war is being used more sparingly, then I like Constitutional Monarchy for the extra magistrates and lesser prestige decay.

Chimu - the gutsy natives!- Winning the...?

We get another slider change in October 1703, and go again from quantity to quality. Then in December 1704, production tech 31 lets us build a grain depot, which is very useful considering our constant struggle to get our land forcelimits up to where they need to be. We start saving up for one; Charcas is the intended location in which we'll build it.

Now that our tech is up to scratch and becoming pretty expensive, we dispense with our remaining tech advisor in March 1705 and hire a level 6 sheriff to get our taxes up higher.
202.png

By June 1708, the time is right to declare war on Genoa and annex that land of theirs in the north-east, so we do it on the imperialism CB. Portugal and Castille jump in as Genoa's allies. It doesn't take long at all for this to happen:
203.png

It's July 1708 now and irritatingly, Milan are currently at war with Genoa. We don't need them capturing Santana - that would be yet another nation we'd need to DoW on!
204.png

By October 1708, Castillian North America seems to be getting chewed up by us, Byzantium, Sweden, and rebels.
205.png

For the love of..... yeah, Genoa ceded Santana to Milan in February 1709. We declare war on Milan.
206.png

Of course, now that we've occupied the remaining provinces Genoa has in that region, we can peace out with them and take their territory in March 1709. Guayra, the only other CoT based in South America, was one of those provinces. Its value was too high for us to demolish, so now we have two South American centres of trade.
207.png

Castille would accept a white peace by now. Getting them off our plate is handy (now that we're at war with much of the rest of Europe), so we do it.
208.png

In addition, Sardinia-Piedmont are actually prepared to give us the rest of their South American provinces! It takes us close to our infamy limit, but we might as well grab that land while it's available!
209.png

September 1709 - Ouch... I was worried about this happening. France have a massive army and a massive navy. We could be in serious trouble.
210.png

Meanwhile, Portugal have built up a big troop presence on one of our borders. We undertake to resolve this situation.
211.png

We also land our spare army in November 1709 next to the couple of French provinces in South America, march in, and hope we're able to deal with the oncoming orage français.
212.png

We resolve the Portugese situation surprisingly quickly.
213.png

February 1710 - Wow! Portugal are willing to give us our core territory and 1000 ducats with only a 4% warscore! The 4 infamy takes us very close to our infamy limit but not quite over the top so we go for it. Another war off our plate. Cornwall, who were part of the French coalition, also offer us a white peace which we accept.
214.png

We spot a Dutch fleet, probably heading for the Falklands. It's a good fleet, but mostly transports so we should be able to beat it. In March 1710, we move to intercept.
215.png

France... Milan... everyone's coming at once while we're busy with the Dutch fleet!
216.png

217.png

We deal with the Dutch, capturing 2 of their transports, and catch up with Milan in Rio de la Plata.
218.png

... and it's another victory for Chimu! We move our ships into port for some well-earned repair.

In June 1710, the Dutch come in for a second attack...
219.png

... and lose again. We capture some more transports.

Holland yet again in November 1710. We'll just chip away at their fleet for as long as it takes.
220.png

221.png

Not too long, then. :)

222.png

Surprisingly, we haven't seen much of France by August 1711. They even seem to have a bit of a rebel problem.

223.png

In October 1711, Austria are sending a biiiiig fleet our way, and a concession of defeat isn't much of a price to pay to avoid that headache, so we do. Whatsmore, Milan are now willing to cede the province they took off Genoa to us, and our infamy level has gone down to the point where we can take a +2 infamy hit. Result!
224.png

We white peace out with Bohemia in December 1711, ending that war. Just France (and Wales, by the way) still at war with us now. And there's nothing like funding a few Patriot rebels to hurt the enemy, given that France still won't even agree to a white peace by November 1712.
225.png

In February 1713, we take Glamorgan, and Wales is rather successfully brought out of the war. Our bank manager thanks us.
226.png

July 1713 - Uh-oh. In the olden days, this fleet would've meant certain defeat, but we happen to have our 89-strong fleet sitting by. Still, it underlines the need for continual naval development and improvement. That Superior Seamanship idea is looking like a pretty good bet right now.
227.png

228.png

They lose.

These war taxes have really been bringing in some money, and in September 1713 we can now build a tax assessor in our capital, Chanchan. If we can't really start tackling that inflation when this baby is built, we'll never be able to!
229.png

230.png

In November 1713, France finally accept a white peace, and we've gotten out of all our wars with good territorial gains! We won the wars, but can we win the peace? Revolt risk is high in some areas because of war exhaustion and nationalism:
231.png

...and there's quite a bit of missionary work to do:
232.png

We're definitely in for a period of peaceful consolidation again, although I wouldn't be surprised if we were attacked. Our land forcelimits, now up to 109, just about cover our 4 units, but those units have to police most of South America!

Continued...

Last edited:
Chimu - the gutsy natives!- Winning the...? (continued...)

We're still only getting 0.3 missionaries per year; Animism doesn't give you any extra. It isn't enough; we're just gonna have to go narrowminded again to get to 0 with our December 1713 slider change, taking us up to half a missionary per year through Divine Supremacy. Not ideal - tech will slow down a bit - but necessary. The resultant Disorder event kinda sucks too.
233.png

By December 1718, there have been a few revolts but we've been existing quite peacefully for a few years. However, France just banned us from their centres of trade and I see another military buildup on the border, so we may well be in for another war with them. More big ships to be built.
234.png

Our manpower passes 100k in February 1721! We've been building a bunch of military buildings, which has helped. It's still just a third of the French manpower, but it's a milestone. Also we notice that our land forcelimits have jumped up to 125, so we get to building a 5th unit to keep our military strong.
235.png

March 1722 - For some reason, the Mining Act national decision is available now when it wasn't before. We go for it.
236.png

July 1724, and we can make another slider change. Looking at the number of provinces we still need to convert, I think we're gonna need to go narrowminded one more time, which is unfortunate, especially considering how our tech is dropping behind a bit again (at least nations like France and Castille are going behind along with us). Later on, we can balance this out a bit by going for Free Subjects, which will lower our tech cost.
237.png

We have over 1000 ducats by February 1727, enough to build a manufactory. Let's build that university in Lima our current mission has been telling us to build for the past 100 years.
238.png

November 1727 - As a result of a disastrous trade war, Castille has handed some territories in our vicinity to France. Looks like we'll have to launch a major war against the strongest nation on Earth now to be able to conquer all of South America. Great.
239.png

And in July 1728, we get to government tech 33. We've been investing heavily in this to get to our next national idea, but now we're going to be concentrating on the other techs given that the next national idea after this one is at government level 41! The idea we go for is, of course, the one we were thinking of last time round: Superior Seamanship. We end up going for it because we'd really like to rule the waves... around South America, at least. With that extra morale, we might even think about splitting our fleet into two war fleets, one for each side of the South American coast. It's been getting rather cumbersome to sail our one huge fleet all the way around, to and fro, depending on which enemy needed to be taken out at the time. Now we stand a good chance against France in the sea, with a big, modern navy and good naval morale. We should also start thinking about splitting into different classes of ship; fleets of small ships for moving to intercept enemies quickly, fleets of big ships to join in for support in battle, and fleets of transports for... transporting.
240.png

South America looks like this:
241.png

So, tensions between us and certain European nations are high, and there's a smorgasbord of countries we will need to declare against to capture all the European territory in South America. We're making solid progress on converting the provinces to Animism, though, and revolts are rare. That's it for this instalment!

Last edited:
Maybe now you can drop Colonial Ventures and National Conscripts (you have enough manpower now) to take Smithian Economy and Scientific Revolution. The later really speeds up research incredibly!
You should have picked patron of the arts earlier on as well. That + some cash + an artist and that's guaranteed University or Fine arts academy for free. In my Deccan to Hindustan game I've had 5 of them build !