• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh , the joys being pagan in EU3 ...
wow you got a byzantium so late in game? great!
If banda oriental turns into a full city they won't be able to do anything with that besides occupying it as IA don't seize land anymore.

Very well survived, but I think you are right that it will be a familiar sight from now on. I also get the feeling you will have to convert to Catholicism to survive. Unfortunately, I have found my wars end up in such a way that I can beat them to a white peace the first time round but then in subsequent wars, my troops end up getting roundly defeated. Annoying and I don't know why that is, but that seems to be the way it goes!

Oh , the joys being pagan in EU3 ...
wow you got a byzantium so late in game? great!
If banda oriental turns into a full city they won't be able to do anything with that besides occupying it as IA don't seize land anymore.
No, but seizing that will give them a positive warscore so I suspect I'll have to cede it to get a peace deal.

Chimu - the gutsy natives!- Aggressive expansion

The wars with France and Holland roll on for a while. Looks like at least the one with France isn't going to just fizzle out, though.

In September 1629, the French land in and assault Tumbes, which is the opposite end of our territory to where our soldiers are. Predictably, Banda Oriental has been occupied (it had no fort yet), by Cornwall as it happens. Happily, the French assault fails, taking them down to 0 infantry but about 10,000 cavalry. We'll still need both our units combined to beat them, I think. We have 2 units of 14k. Maybe we should increase them to 16k, building 4 more cavalry units. That way we might be able to keep one each end of our territory and not have to keep combining them. France founds a couple of colonies, which we incite the natives to terminate.
70.png

March 1630 - With our units combined, we once again take on the French unit that is seiging Tumbes...
71.png

... and beat the crap out of them. We need to move our armies down south again. We've now built 4 more cavalry units so maybe we can keep two units split up, a north and a south unit, each of which can deal with any one French unit that may land. In the meantime, a slider change is available, so we go narrowminded. Now we're at -4 innovative.
72.png

Copiapo becomes self-sustaining, population 1001, in April 1630. Atacama becomes self-sustaining, also with population 1001, in June 1640. We build a fort in each of them.

In July 1640, Baluchistan, some random ally of France (or one of its allies), offers a white peace. We accept. I notice that Genoa have moved their capital to South America. This could actually make it easier to capture their South American territories as they should value them more, giving us a bigger warscore... but I'm not sure.
73.png

Brunswick offer a white peace by August 1630, which we accept. Meanwhile, we burn Holland's colony in the Falklands - there are no natives there to incite. Once returned from the Falklands, we merge our unit into our other ones. The composition of our two Braves units is now 10/6/0.

74.png

It's November 1630, and Britain declare war. We notice they're up to 33 big ships, which has pretty much all been built in the last decade. Damn.

75.png

In January 1631, the French take Atacama, where the fort hadn't been built yet, and march for Arica. Meanwhile, we fight their fleet, a battle we expect to lose...
76.png

Yeah yeah yeah. Onward and upward.

The French have a -4 terrain disadvantage and our other unit is closing in. The French lose the battle on morale grounds. We're forced to merge our two units again, and chase them to Caracara, where we engage them and win. They flee to Atacama. Let's kill 2 birds with 1 stone, chase them, win, and take Atacama back. As we have a leader with decent manoeuvre, we'll get there first and they'll have the terrain disadvantage. Portugal have offered a white peace, which we accepted.
77.png

The next fight is in June 1631 - we get a comprehensive victory this time. Atacama still has no fort built and is more vulnerable, so we split off a bigger unit to defend it and send the other one north. I see small Welsh, Danish, and Corsican fleets on the way - we should be able to annihilate them.
78.png

A month goes by and it's all happening! As we battle Corsica's fleet (Wales also joins in the fun half way through), Holland offers a white peace which we accept.
79.png

80.png

We beat Corsica and Wales's fleets in a tough sea battle. No ships captured though, annoyingly.

In September 1631, we notice a Scottish fleet landing troops but as we go to intercept them, a small French fleet gets into a fight with us! They're gonna be able to land troops, though we win the fight against the French.
81.png

Come October 1631 we're engaging in very tough battles in the sea and on land...
82.png

Now we agree to cede Banda Oriental to Cornwall - it's more of a liability at this point. Britain are landing 3k troops.
83.png

In November 1631, we somehow win those naval and land battles, but Picunmapu is going to be occupied. We can't really attack them there because of the massive terrain disadvantage. At least... I don't think we can. Meanwhile, we switch to concentrating on land tech - level 23 and we can build Charge Infantry. They have level 23 and Charge Infantries may be the reason they still seem to have the edge in land battles.
84.png

This event in February 1632; hmm, we don't really want a Plutocracy gain here, but we need the cash.
85.png

Meanwhile, Norway land 1000 troops in Picunmapu before we can intercept their fleet, as ours was under repair in port. Damn, they land their troops fast!! Take that!
86.png

Noticing that we're now somehow under our naval support limit by 1 ship, we get to building a galleon.

It's decided in May 1632 that we must march on Picunmapu. A horrible fight where we have a -5 terrain disadvantage takes place... but we win anyway on morale grounds. We chase them to Copiapo. Another win. Another chase back to Picunmapu.
87.png

By September 1632, Britain have sent a big fleet and are going to beat us, so we successfully sue for peace and just concede defeat. Chimu gets off lightly! We're gaining prestige every year from the "Rite of Passage" anyway, so we can afford to lose some every now and then...
88.png

Notice the Norwegian troops south of Picunmapu, in Huillimapu. They're going to make themselves at home in those mountains.

October 1632 - We get a new leader. We pick the bureaucrat candidate.
89.png

In November 1632, we notice that one of The Hansa's colonies is close to becoming self-sustaining - like, really really close - so we decide to go for that blitzkreig now so we can seize it. With a 5 year truce now in place for Britain and co., hopefully to be followed soon be France and its allies, now is an ideal time to take as much of Hanseatic South America as we can. We do of course have to declare a "war of aggression" on The Hansa and take a -2 stability hit because the game is so fair to pagans as to give them no reasonable CB, but so be it. Actually, switching to a Republican Dictatorship should help as we'll get an Imperialism CB on all of them later on. For now, we can afford to take a bit of a stability hit and some infamy. War exhaustion's up to 8.93. Ouch. We decide to stop war taxes. Time is of the essence...
90.png

In December 1632, Wales try to land troops. We stop them. Meanwhile we've been creating a nice colony in Chaco Boreal that's up to level 3, which produces - you guessed it - goddamn grain.
91.png

January 1633 - France will accept a concession of defeat, which we offer so we can concentrate on war with The Hansa. We're going to need that. We seize Pampas just before it becomes self-sustaining and drop colonial maintenance to zero; we want to push it over 1000 with a colonist so it flips to our religion and culture, but need to raise the neighbouring Pehuenmapu to over 1000 first so Pampas is contiguous. That will take some time as Pehuenmapu is down at around 300...
92.png

In Febuary 1633, we get Overextension. Arghhhh, we need a better leader than the current guy. Revolt risk is horribly high all over the place now. Inflation is up to 7.0.
93.png

Surprisingly, The Hansa are willing to accept a few demands of ours in June 1633 even though we only have a 2% warscore. Unfortunately, Bohemia are leaders of the war, still. We start building another 10/6/0 unit even though it takes us 15 over our land support limit. We just desperately need 3 units, one to defend the north of the country from the inevitable revolts it's going to get.
94.png

95.png

This event in February 1634 is actually handy. We do want a narrowminded gain.

I've just noticed that our newly-captured provinces give us some nice trade goods - wine, tobacco, tobacco, coffee. That's something, at least.
96.png

In December 1634, Cologne offer a white peace. shrug - we accept it... almost immediately followed by Bohemia! We accept that too, and again we're not at war. Maybe we can lose some of that war exhaustion before someone else declares.

The early death of our current ruler in April 1636 finally gives us a chance to get a good administrator. This means we lose Overextension! Imagine if we were still a tribal democracy with this guy. Actually no, don't. It's too terrible to contemplate. The first of our recent truces signed - with Holland - expires in August 1636. I'm predicting some declarations of war around that time, but I hope I'm wrong.
97.png

By April 1637, Incan nationalists seem to have sprung up and declared independence from Cornwall in Banda Oriental! Seems like they weren't too fond of the Cornish food. We immediately declare war on them with a tribal conquest CB - if we can win that territory, we might even be able to get a coastal centre of trade founded there.
98.png

We of course win quickly and annex them by May 1637, and Banda Oriental is once again ours. Looks like, because it was the Inca who broke away from Cornwall, the province flipped over to Animism and Incan culture! Perfect for us! Unfortunately, it is trading through Peten rather than Pensacola, and Peten is nowhere near big enough for us to break off and form our own coastal CoT. :(
99.png

100.png

August 1637 - Surprise surprise. Brunswick, Baluchistan, and Portugal pile in soon enough as Holland's allies, too.

Continued...

Last edited:
Chimu - the gutsy natives!- Aggressive expansion (continued...)

After 2 years without indicent, we're able to white peace out of this war in October 1639. We're now keeping our military and naval maintenance at maximum even in peacetime which, while expensive, may discourage the AI from attacking us so readily.
101.png

Now that Pehuenmapu has become self-sustaining by November 1639, we can finally send a colonist to Pampas to flip it to our religion and culture...
102.png

... and we do. We've also joined 3 galleons onto the main fleet, having realized that our naval force limits have gone up a lot for some reason.

Feb 1640 - Another slider change is possible. As our inflation is now up to 9.0, we decide to put the narrowminded movement on hold and go towards free subjects instead. Inflation reduction is just what we need! (OK, I did have to try a few times to get this one...)
103.png

June 1640... and the colonist to Pampas worked! Yay! Next up, do the same thing with Parana, now that Pampas is self-sustaining. And a few months later, colonization of Parana is successful. Animist faith, Incan culture. Nice.
104.png

August 1640 rolls along, and we get to land tech 23, allowing Charge Infantry, which we switch to. We now move all tech focus to government, trying to get to the next government tech - 25 - allowing us our next national idea, which will be National Bank. Then in December 1641, an interesting development; The Hansa have changed their capital to Sierra Leone. Still not South America, though. Later, a "dramatic currency revaluation" event in February 1642 allows us to lose a further 2 points of inflation. We happily take it; a bargain for a -2 stability hit. Inflation's now down to 4.5.

By May 1642 I notice that Sweden has founded colonies in Cauca, Quito, and Guayaquil. Yep, the natives are incited to get rid of them. We don't want a northern land border with anyone until as late as possible.
105.png

In June 1642, we establish a colony in Jujuy, a province which is next to our national focus, so it should grow more quickly. Then in March 1643, Zapotec and Aztec, which had been annexed, declare independence from Naples. That might keep the Westerners busy with someone else for a while...
106.png

June 1643 - Portugal have just founded a colony in, shall we say, an irritating location. I can't incite the natives to get rid of it because some damn Norweigan troops are still standing there from when we were warring with them. We'll just have to declare war with Portugal at some point and seize it.
107.png

In November 1644, it transpires that copper will be produced in Jujuy. Not bad!

108.png

It's January 1645, and Byzantium just couuuuuldn't resist declaring on us. They don't have any nearby provinces so hopefully this will just be an opportunity to make some money from war taxes.

109.png

Ah. Well, I was looking for a way to take out that pesky Portugese colony anyway.

In March 1645, we seize that Huillimapu colony from the Portugese and send a colonist to flip it to our religion and culture. Shortly after, we discover that fish are to be produced as its trade good.
110.png

In February 1647, we get to a white peace with Portugal. Now here's the thing: mucho colonization has been going on from The Hansa and Genoa in areas we want to take, so a war with The Hansa right now would make sense; we need to capture or probably burn their colonies (we're close to 50% non-core provinces right now and capturing them would lead to overextension). We declare a war of aggression on them.
111.png

We do burn The Hansa's colonies and occupy their South American provinces in September 1647, but are having trouble getting them to make any concessions. We can't really blockade their African ports (their capital has been moved to Africa) for long, as we take lots of attrition. It does help that Mali have given us military access, so we can duck into one of their ports to repair and then re-blockade The Hansa again for a few months.
112.png

By April 1649, we've gotten to government level 25 and another national idea. It's gonna be National Bank. We're now able to turn a (very) small annual profit without increasing inflation.
113.png

In April 1650, another slider change towards narrowminded is made. The Hansa just won't accept a peace deal, still. My ships have been hovering around their European provinces, Holstein having given me military access for my ships to repair at, and I notice that only 1000 troops are defending Bremen. We only have 4 transports ready to transport our troops, but we ship them over there and start to seige (the 1000 are taken out easily). The Hansa do later send along about 4000 troops to try and stop the seige, but they fail and we occupy Bremen. This brings the war score up to about 9%.

A few months later in September 1650, The Hansa are finally talking peace, and we can evict them from South America! The province we aren't taking is a colony, which we seize just before they accept the peace deal. It sure didn't hurt that we sailed over to Europe and occupied Bremen. :) We get the overextension penalty now (less than half our provinces are cores!), but we can live with that for the sake of taking this territory. In 10 years, more provinces should start to core and we'll lose overextension at some point... keeping a leader around with high administration ability would be a good idea, though. We also took these provinces soon enough that The Hansa hadn't cored on them, either.
114.png

July 1652 - Aha, now this was the other reason I wanted to take those territories off The Hansa at high infamy. The Chimu have learned well the art of colonization from the Europeans, and still 2 further colonies have been founded in Patagonia Occidental and Chaco Austral, bringing us up to 4 again. You need the infamy, as well as 4 colonies and a leader with 6 admin or more, to get Colonial Expansion. This will speed up the growth of our colonies even more; very useful considering how dependent we are on colonialization. The Colonial Expansion decision is implemented immediately.
115.png

So at this point, we're in a relatively stable position. It feels like the Europeans don't seem to be attacking us with so much gusto now. We can afford to have a large military and navy, and keep them on full maintenance. We're still dragging a lot of colonies and non-cored provinces along, though, so it will be a real weight off the nation's shoulders when some of them start to core... but in terms of plain old "territory controlled by Chimu", it aint bad:
116.png

We're also still Animist (hence everyone having the Colonialism CB against us) - the only Animist nation still standing except for Zapotec, Aztec, and Maya. I suspect they will get absorbed by Castille or someone soon. We haven't actually had a single "convert to Christianity" event, anyway, despite borders with Reformed and Catholic nations.

Looking at the colonial mapmode, I notice that there are several European colonies that haven't yet become self-sustaining - most notably a couple from Holland up north, which are close to going over 1000, as well as one from Sardinia-Piedmont, and several from Genoa. Our next priority is to burn these as quickly as possible (do we look enough like bloodthirsty pagan savages yet...? :laugh:) and replace them (as well as all remaining uncolonized South American territory) with our own colonies to ensure that the Animist/Inca culture is spread as far as possible throughout the South America we want to dominate, keeping revolt risk and stability cost nice and low.
117.png

To what degree of success we manage this will be revealed in the next instalment.

Last edited:
Very interesting read this. I have to say though, this is where I tend to get bored with actually playing as I find continual declarations of war really tiresome...

Chimu - the gutsy natives!- Ethnic uniformity

We want to burn all non-Chimu colonies in South America at this point; I want the end analysis to show as high a percentage of South America as possible having Animist/Incan religion and culture. As the two Holland colonies up north in Antioquia and Magdalena are rather close to becoming self-sustaining, they're the first target. Holland is allied with Portugal; both have good fleets, so we could be in for some naval trouble. Nevertheless, we grit our teeth, and send some soldiers up into position, ready to burn the colonies. We then declare a war of aggression on Holland (we're not far enough in government tech yet to switch to Republican Dictatorship or I'd have done that and used the Imperialism CB).

January 1653 - Step 1 complete. Burn, baby, burn!
118.png

By July 1653, both Holland colonies have been destroyed successfully. Jujuy becomes self-sustaining and we build a fort there. We really don't want to stay at war with Holland for any longer as we've achieved the only thing we set out to do now, so we sue for peace with Hesse, the now-leaders of their side of the war. We have to concede defeat as they won't take a white peace... no problem.
119.png

In April 1654, we can change our national focus again. Now, we really want our own "Centre of trade for South America". Almost all of our provinces trade through CoTs that aren't worth enough to allow us to create a new one (Peten and Guayra), but by a stroke of luck, one of the provinces captured from The Hansa still trades through Pensacola, which is worth well over 800 ducats:
120.png

We'll set the national focus to Patagonia Oriental, next to the Pensacola-trading Tehuelmapu, so as to catch all of our southern-tip-of-South-America colonies and make them grow more quickly:
121.png

Et voila! We can create our own new coastal CoT in Tehuelmapu (we've been saving up 500 ducats over the last couple of years to do this).
122.png

We create it, and start auto-sending merchants immediately:
123.png

Their compete chance being 99%, we should easily get a monopoly there. Of course, only our provinces will trade through this CoT as everyone else hates us, but who cares? We're so big that it's enough to keep this CoT from ever stagnating! As the CoT will be worth quite a bit, this is a nice money-spinner for our treasury. Of course, a coastal CoT also gives us an extra 0.1 colonists per year:
124.png

Woohoo for extra colonists!

March 1656, and we're back up to stability level +3. Next up is Genoa, whose colonies' populations currently range between 500 and 800. Their colonies in Xeres, Itenines, and Uruguay can go. I'm counting the Falklands as South America, so that can go as well. First, we DoW on them - they happen to be at war with Maya, with whom we happen to be allied still (I'd forgotten!), so we can DoW on the alliance CB and have no stability hit! Then, we rampage through, seizing these babies (instead of burning, because they're contiguous with us so we want to join them to our territory immediately)...
125.png

In July 1636, a spanner lands itself in the works. Portugal have an annoyingly good navy. Magdeburg and Galicia join in as Portugal's allies.
126.png

And another one in October 1656. Grrrr, this one is really annoying. I Hate France.
127.png

Now for the Coup de Grace of the Genoa colony war; in January 1657, we send colonists to each seized colony, flipping their religion and culture to ours!
128.png

July 1657 - We've sunk a bunch of enemy ships, yet Denmark stole the Falklands colony. That Falklands colony will be hotly disputed over the coming decades... it seems to be the first thing the AI often goes for, so it's a good job we have a good navy to stop them landing most of the time. We're gonna get it back.
129.png

... and within a couple of months, we do.

Sigh...
130.png

By July 1658, after winning numerous naval battles like this and occupying a load of their territory, Castille still won't even white peace.
131.png

We sue for peace and concede defeat just to get this war off our plate.

132.png

The British are really determined to get their fleet to (presumably) the Falklands. Aint gonna happen. We intercept them again.
133.png

I hope their last thoughts as they sank beneath the waves were, "Why oh why didn't we accept Animism?"

Our navy is having to do a lot of work through December 1658...
134.png

135.png

Will they ever give up? Still no peace deal and we're in 3 wars.

By March 1659, France are willing to accept a concession of defeat to end the war. We agree. Down to 2 wars. By April 1659, Britain are also now willing to accept a concession of defeat. We agree. We won't go down so easy next time, but it ends this tiresome war.

In June 1659, we found a colony in Guayaquil. This begins the final push north to colonize the remaining uncolonized part of South America. We're now finally ready to move our northern border forward, though we'll end up next to Castille. Better have troops ready for that.
136.png

August 1659 sees us get to naval tech 24. Our navy will now fight even better, though they've been doing us proud so far. Then, we concede defeat to Portugal in December 1659 to finally end that war as well.

February 1660 - Now, there are still some colonies owned by Sardinia-Piedmont that need to be taken care of; Tierra del Fuego on the southern tip, and several that they have founded to the north. We launch a war of aggression against them. In June 1660, it's slider change time. We go more narrowminded. There are now a few Christian provinces we need to make Animist, and innovativeness kills off missionaries.

In July 1660, we seize Tierra del Fuego and send a colonist there to flip its religion/culture to ours. It's closing in on 1000, so it should be a fully-fledged province soon. Meanwhile, a couple of units are marching north to take out their northern colonies. We want to burn those guys as they're not contiguous with our territory yet, so they'd be too hard to defend.
137.png

Colonization successful in December 1660! Tierra del Fuego is now Animist, Incan culture, and self-sustaining.
138.png

February 1601 - We're burning these babies! Sardinia-Piedmont really seem to love building colonies.
139.png

We core on Charcas in June 1661.

Their South American colonies having been burned, we "concede defeat" to Sardinia-Piedmont (or actually Hesse, the leaders of their war coalition) in July 1661. As usual, getting a white peace out of them would be long and tiresome. And of course, as soon as we burn their existing colonies, they found a bunch more by May 1662. We'll have to take them out again and immediately replace them with our colonies in a "ring" formation, blocking off the inner provinces so that only we can colonize them.
140.png

Our Uruguay colony becomes self-sustaining in October 1662, and in January 1663, a "colonial company founded" event gives us a colony of 200 in Cuyo... I'll take it, but I'd rather have had another colony to the north, where we're trying to oust the European colonies and replace them with ours! At the start of May 1663, we core on Chichas. Every little helps... we need more annual income, and more core provinces to lose the overextension penalty!

141.png

This will be really handy in helping avoid inflaiton for a while. Meanwhile, Castille are mounting troops on the Panama-Choco border. I feel one of their usual wars coming on. We beef up a couple of our units with another 4 infantry and 2 cavalry each. We're 16 over our land force limits after this. Apparently owning most of South America doesn't let you wield anything like as big a force as owning most of Europe. In September 1665, we're told that Cuyo will produce wine! A rare good for South America, and very welcome.

As expected, the ultra-aggressive Castille declare war on us in October 1665, but we've been expecting it and massing troops on our side of the border. The good news is that Sardinia-Piedmont shortly join in as Castille's allies, which will allow us to seize their colonies that we want - Antioquia, Bogota, Cartagena, and Chiancon.
142.png

The first casualties of the war are some of Castille's ships.
143.png

In December 1665, we notice that France now has a 2-year-old regent. That should stop them declaring on us for a while. :)

144.png

March 1666 - Again, we don't really want more plutocracy; not getting many diplomats now... but again, we need the cash.

In December 1666, Castille march on us in Chorotega. On paper we should win this as we have roughly equal tech, but our focus on quantity has put us at 90% discipline; Castille seem to be giving us a lot of casualties.
145.png

Indeed we win by January 1667, but it feels like a Pyrrhic victory; we lost a lot of men, and our morale is on the floor.
146.png

In September 1667, Castille make the mistake of splitting their army in half and moving half out of Chorotega. We pounce on the remaining half and exterminate it! Also, we've now seized all of Sardinia-Piedmont's South American colonies. Just that one Genoese colony, Magdalena, to go.
147.png

The Hansa declare war in October 1667. Bastards! Or is it swine? Anyway, another annoyance to deal with.
148.png

Continued...

Last edited:
Chimu - the gutsy natives!- Ethnic uniformity (continued...)

December 1667 - Well we won this fight, but ouch ouch ouch. Lost huge numbers of men. We really must focus on going towards quality from quantity in the next slider changes... it seems to be making a big difference. We have now gone up to Mosquito, occupied that, and moved our troops back down to the slightly safer Chorotega again.
149.png

As we've seized the Sardinia-Piedmont colonies we need, we want to get that last Genoa colony to the north before it becomes self-sustaining, so despite the fact that we're bruised and battered from this war, we need to declare a war of aggression on Genoa and nab that colony quickly. We sue for peace with Castille and concede defeat, which is all they will accept (even though we have a positive warscore). We're losing 277 ducats annually if we mint a small enough amount to keep inflation level. Good job we have some money in the kitty from those previous gifts to the state, but at this rate it won't last long!
150.png

I don't like to keep conceding defeat, but our revolt risk situation is bad and we really need to declare on Genoa soon because that colony in Magdalena is nearly at 900 now. We get a peace out of The Hansa in June 1668 by conceding defeat, then, as usual.

In February 1669, our colonists succeed, and flip the religion/culture over to ours in Cartagena and Antioquia. We'll focus on getting Antioquia up to being self-sustaining, and then we can send colonists to the landlocked Chiancon and Bogota to flip them too.
151.png

In March 1669, we declare a war of aggression against Genoa. The good thing about them is that they have their capital in Cayenne, so we should be able to land there and occupy it quickly (it only has a fort 1), hopefully making them more willing to talk white peace after we've seized their colony. That's the plan, anyway. Sure enough, in June 1669, we seize Magdalena and send a colonist there. Shortly after, we sue Genoa for peace. Having occupied a couple of their provinces including the capital, we're even able to demand a bit of tribute from them:
152.png

Our "ring" around the inland northern South America provinces that are still uncolonized is now complete. Only we can colonize them, and we can do so at our leisure (assuming we hold on to the "ring" territories). Some of it's still Terra Incognita, of course. At no point since meeting the Europeans have I even considered the Quest for the New World national idea - been too busy with other matters. All the Terra Incognita has been discovered just by having provinces next to it, and that method seems fine for colonizing the remaining bits of South America too, so that's how we'll do it, slowly and steadily. For now, however, it's definitely time for a long period of consolidation. We have a high revolt risk, a bunch of colonies that need to become self-sustaining, not to mention a manpower at rock bottom that needs to fully replenish, and we need to core on quite a few provinces just to get our core province percentage back over 50% to stand a chance of losing the overextension penalty!
153.png

It's October 1669, and stability is taking quite a while to get back up to +3. Here's a rather stark reminder of which of our provinces share our religion and culture, and which don't...
154.png

In May 1670, Chaco Austral becomes self-sustaining. We build a fort there. Also in January 1671, Antioquia becomes becomes self-sustaining and we build a fort there - we can now send our next 2 colonists to Chiancon and Bogota to flip their religion/culture, and we'll have gotten all of the colonies done.

Another slider change becomes available in March 1671 and we begin our movement towards quality. This gives us a level 4 commandant, which I think we're going to hire given the casualties our lack of discipline seemed to cause in the war against Castille. After hiring him, our troop discipline is up to 100%.
155.png

By September 1671, we've successfully sent a colonist to Bogota. It's now Animist and Incan.

April 1672 - We core on Atacama. Well, we're... um... getting there?
156.png

Aaaaaand finally we get a colonist to Chiancon successfully by August 1672. Now, we've pretty much done as much as we can to ensure the fullest extent of Animist/Incan ethnic uniformity across South America. Further consolidation and colonization are needed, but we've minimized the amount of land that the Europeans could turn to their culture:
157.png

The extent of Chimu is now quite large, but our land force limits (66) are still smaller than our armies (84) - even with "Grand Army" - so defending it is difficult and expensive. Every now and then, European nations will declare war on us even though we can defend ourselves. It's always a struggle to be pagan!
158.png

So, next up is a lot of consolidation, coring on provinces, colonization, and then eventually taking the fight to the Europeans that have colonized the north-east South America. We may even want to push Castille back in Central America because they are so aggressive I have a feeling they will keep DoWing on us and that will be a nuisance. They probably need weakening a lot. We also want to really start pushing money into tech. Once we get the Republican Dictatorship government type, we'll have the imperialism CB, and that's when we'll go for the European provinces. We won't have to be losing stability through wars of aggression anymore, so we can start concentrating our investments in tech and hopefully become one of the leading tech nations in the world. Until the next instalment, then...

Chimu - the gutsy natives!- Consolidation and colonialism

The nation of Chimu is still struggling to hold together. Less than 50% of its territories are cored, and many still speak of breaking away into some "Old Europe" state, or dream of the day when the mighty Chimu forces will be defeated by aggressive Europeans. Much work is to be done in building the nation into a patriotic block with a strong economy, not to mention converting certain Christian provinces to Animism. It's clear that the conquest of the territories the Europeans illegitimately seized off the natives in the north-east of the continent is some way off yet.

In March 1673, the Falklands becomes self-sustaining and we build a fort there. We are probably going to want to go up to a level 2 or level 3 fort, as it tends to get invaded so much in wars... we want it to be able to hold out a while. Checking the map, we notice that we can expand our Sphere of Inflience to all the M's - Morocco, Mali, and Maya - which we do. With the help of one of our colonists, Choco becomes self-sustaining in August 1673, and we build a fort there too. That's probably another one we're going to want to build a fort 2 or 3 in, and when it cores, possibly a March, to help defend against Castille... if we haven't driven Castille back by then.

In September 1673, Picunmapu cores. Guayaquil becomes self-sustaining in October 1674, as does Cartagena in November 1675. In May 1675, we decide to move our national focus to Antioquia to help some of our northern colonies grow quicker.

Time for some military progress, then, and in December 1675, we reach land tech 27 which enables Gallop Cavalry, which we switch to.
159.png

Over the next few months, colonies become self-sustaining, helping us a lot financially (our colonial maintenance, which was really straining the finances, is lowered enormously). Bogota becomes self-sustaining in February 1676, Chiancon in July 1676, Cauca in February 1677, and Quito in December 1677. We can now turn a bit of a yearly profit again without increasing inflation, so we get to building things like fort 2, fort 3, constable, things that increase manpower like training fields, docks, drydocks, etc. Lots of investment is needed in province development, as can be imagined for a nation most of whose history has just been staying alive!

In February 1679, we realized that we had 5 colonists available, so we're going to send them all to Catamarca and get that colony kickstarted and fill in one of the gaps in our territory. The first one arrives successfully.
160.png

Come September 1679, Britain randomly declare war on us. We're ready to kick some ass, if they really want the punishment. This time round, we're not really desperate to end these kinds of wars because we're no longer so desperate to nab European colonies before they become self-sustaining - we've already done that. So we're in for the long haul, and we aint interested in giving concessions of defeat no more.
161.png

In June 1680, we had been doing quite well against Britain... but still, Castille decided to DoW as well.
162.png

163.png

Maybe Castille wants some of this.

164.png

Funny how they always seem to declare in clusters. It's not like a truce had just ended, or anything.

September 1680 - Things are going well so far, both on land and navally.
165.png

By February 1681, we've occupied a bunch of Sardinia-Piedmont's territory and, lo and behold, they sue for a white peace. However, my hunch is that, now that they're talking peace, they'll give us some tribute, in the form of ducats - and they do. Maybe this warring is just the Europeans' way of giving us gifts. :)
166.png

In January 1682, the arrival of land tech 28 lets us switch to the Highlanders Infantry, which we do immediately. We then core on Chaco Boreal in March 1682. Our fleet is still struggling to have resounding victories over that of the British and other nations with large fleets, so we decide it needs to be even stronger, and get to building 7 wargalleons.

In May 1682, we get a slider change and switch to more qualtiy but, yeowch, this is pretty bad timing to be losing 16k manpower. We're building a bunch of buildings to give us more manpower, in order to try and offset the loss of manpower we're getting by switching away from quantity.
167.png

January 1683, and we core on Pehuenmapu. We also get an offer of white peace from Castille, but again, my hunch is that they'll be willing to pay some tribute. Looks like I'm right...
168.png

By February 1683, we're really starting to get a good number of cores now - we core on Pampas, then in March, on Parana, then in July, on Salinas Grande. I've also been reading up on what determines one's land force limits, and it seems that one of the few variables we can actually control is plain old tax income. Presumably, the more of our territories we core on, the higher our tax income from those territories, and the higher our land force limits will go. As we're really struggling with land force limits right now (naval ones are alright, though), that should help a lot.

In August 1683, Britain had started attacking our allies, the Maya, so we land an army to teach them a lesson.
169.png

Britain accept a white peace at last in November 1683, but they had a couple of colonies seized from them by the Mayans so basically, the war was a major Fail for the British. Meanwhile, those wargalleons have been built and added to our main fleet, which now numbers 77 ships. We continue our all-dock policy, and use our current magistrates to build docks in all provinces that don't have them.
170.png

We get to government tech 28 in May 1684, allowing Republican Dictatorship, but before we switch to it, I wanna wait for a leader with better administration to be elected under our current Administrative Republic. October 1684 sees Catamarca becomes self-sustaining and we build a fort there.

171.png

Boy, are we getting a lot of these "colonial company founded" events - this is the third one, founded in November 1684, and it's for Maynas! This might as well mark the start of our north-west area colonization campaign. The natives of these provinces are some of the friendliest around, so there shouldn't be any problems with native uprisings. We begin sending colonists to these provinces.

172.png

OK, this guy's better - the bureaucrat candidate. Now we can switch to Republican Dictatorship with him at the helm. We're close to losing the overextension penalty, too, as we're nearly at 50% core territories. We now get the imperialism CB on all nations. We also, of course, lose all slider restrictions with this awesome form of government. In June 1687, we core on Banda Oriental, and lose the overextension penalty!

173.png

It's January 1689 and, you guessed it... well, Castille had been annexing the Maya and Aztec for a while, so I saw this one coming. Still, you'd think they might have learned their lesson by now that attacking us is futile. Time for a full-blooded assault on everything Castille holds dear. Our manpower is significantly higher than theirs now, but interestingly, they still have more troops. Either they are above their land force limits, or they have a stupidly high land force limit given their manpower.

174.png

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... they just need to be extirpated from our lands. They just need to be. And luckily, that's definitely part of the expansion roadmap. Wearily, our armies march into Sardinia-Piedmont territory yet again.

By February 1689, we've successfully founded colonies in all the inland provinces we had "ringfenced off" from the Europeans. We can leave those colonies now to "simmer" and grow over time. Before we know it, they will be fully-fledged Chimu territory!
175.png

So, we can now pretty much concentrate on full-blooded war with the Europeans, and hopefully pulling ahead of them in tech too. That's it for this instalment!

Last edited:
Looks like you are well on your way to getting the whole of South America, I notice Genoa had a presence in the East in your last installment, have they been doing anything or are they just leaving you alone? Any plans to conquer that area?

Looks like you are well on your way to getting the whole of South America, I notice Genoa had a presence in the East in your last installment, have they been doing anything or are they just leaving you alone? Any plans to conquer that area?
Yep they've pretty much been leaving us alone and I have immediate plans to conquer at least some of that area; I think the reason will be made more obvious in the next instalment. :)

I don't know but I will add another one just to hurry it along a bit :rofl:

Impatiently awaiting the next installment :)

Hmm, how many more posts do we need to get this onto page 4? This page is getting a bit long now with AAR material.
I'll be glad to help you out with that one :) I think post #61 should be on page 4 (20 per page)...

Regarding the save and AAR, keep up the good work, it seems like you conquer Latin Americas in no time. I'm impatiently awaiting for the next installment as well ;)