• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
anonymous4401 said:
Why is the first budget overview differently colored than the second? :confused:

In the first case I increased the contrast of the picture slightly when I edited it - in the second case I was a bit lazy and didn't bother. I use FastStone Image Viewer, which I downloaded free a couple of years ago. I also have Irfanview. whch someone recommended, but prefer Faststone. It automatically converts cut-outs of screenies to jpeg files when you save them.

Snefix: the silver mine is of immense value to Chile. Without wanting to give the future course of the game away (I've played to 1860), it actually makes war a viable economic option. :D

Agenor said:
There, now that should make life a bit tougher. :D

Yes, I agree this AAR was entirely to easy :D

Quirinus308 said:
Yes, I agree this AAR was entirely to easy :D

Yes, it is! :D I recently found myself giving in to the temptation to engage in a culture race, and had to go back to an old autosave. So here is another rule to plug this exploit:

Culture Races

The number of culture techs researched may not exceed the maximum number of any other kind of tech. In addition, the number of culture techs may not exceed by more than two the second highest number of non-culture techs. For example, if you have 3 army, 2 navy, 5 commerce and 8 industrial techs, you may have no more than 7 culture techs. If the number of commerce techs rises to 6, you may have a total of 8 culture techs.

I must confess I have actually broken this rule up to this point (1860) but shall keep it from now on. After all, nineteenth century Chile isn't France or Germany.

-- 1849 to 1850 --

January 1849: Population: 1,521,000; Literacy: 26%; Exports: $28 per day; Cash Reserve: $2760.

Now that we are making a monthly surplus of over $100, the clamour to spend money is growing ever louder in cabinet meetings. No one but me seems to appreciate the virtues of fiscal prudence, or that the sight of a healthy and growing cash reserve is a most beautiful thing, at least to a Finance Mnister. So, worn down by my colleagues arguments, I agree to send a mission to Buenos Aires for the sum of $292. It is, after all, high time that we reciprocated for all the missions of goodwill that they have sent us over the years, which have ensured cordial relations. And no sooner has our mission returned, than another one arrives from Argentina, improving relations even further.

While this expenditure has appeased the Foreign Ministry, the War Ministry is still fretting. Fretting and plotting. Before I realize what has happened (I really must pay my spies better) plans are well under way to found a military academy in Santiago. I am faced with the bill, for $1000, and am told in no uncertain terms that if we do not go ahead now, our international standing will suffer. All our neighbours have military academies, and it is only fitting that as the most respected country in South America we should have one as well. Gritting my teeth, I authorize the payment.

On the economic front, progess continues slow but steady. Research into mechanical production is completed, and Pitt's threshing machine is introduced onto our farms soon afterwards. Our academics at the University of Santiago take up the study of the works of Malthus next.

Political Change and Political Instability

On 2nd May 1849 an election campaign is called. Once again, the Liberals and Conservatives are running neck to neck, and there is really no way of knowing which way the election will go.

politicallpartiesxb4.jpg

I have decided to do what I can to help the Liberals to win, since I believe that their policies are helpful in attracting immigrants, and immigration, by raising production and taxes, stimulates long-term growth.

And yet, what if the Conservatives win? This is a matter much discussed in Liberal circles of late, and there is now a general consensus that the franchise should be extended beyond the landowning classes, and be subject simply to a tax qualification: everyone paying income or property taxes above a certain threshold should be eligible to vote. This will change the political landscape in no small way - it empowers the growing merchant classes, and thus dilutes the power of the old landowning elite. Although this legislation will be passed before the next election, it will be some years before the new voters' rolls can be drawn up, and so the change will have no impact on the forthcoming election. The necessary legislation is passed through both Chambers of Parliament in November of 1849. Enacting it will cost over $1500, reducing cash reserved to $1300.

As is to be expected, the Conservatives are absolutely furious at this change. They know that the soon-to-be-enfranchised merchant classes are no supporters of theirs, and quite rightly see their support dwindling away over time. "The purpose of this legislation is to ensure a perpetual Liberal majority," shouts the angry leader of the Conservatives during a debate in the Legislature. He is quite right. That is exactly what this legislation is meant to do, and everyone knows it. Worst of all for the Conservatives is the knowledge that even if they do gain power in February, they will not be able to reverse this legislation without incurring a huge degree of enmity among some quite influential people: in a country with our long tradition of democracy, unique and exemplary in South America, it would sit extremely badly to attempt to reduce the franchise. They know this, and they are very angry.

But the anger of the Conservatives cannot galvanize them any more support at the election: on February 2nd 1850, the Liberals are re-elected for a third consecutive term of office.

electiondayiv6.jpg

"We are becoming a permanent opposition," grumbles an elderly and much respected Conservative senator, "and worst of all, an irrelevance!" But not all voices are as sane as his. "We must do something," the angry young Conservatives are heard to mutter, and, more ominously "We much show these damned Liberals that they have gome to far! We must teach them a lesson!"

"Oh, all idle talk and hot air," says the Interior Minister when I voice my concerns to him. "It will soon blow over. Even the Conservatives must accept that times are changing, and we must move with the times."

The fact that we are dealing with more than idle talk is brought violently home to us on March 1st - a mere month after the election. The Interior Minister has been assassinated! Shot dead in the street, in Santiago, outside his Ministry. It is the Interior Minister who had overseen the legislation extending the franchise and guided it through Parliament.

The entire government is in a state of shock. This is the first political assassination we have had in over thirty years - since the days of civil turmoil that followed our independence from Spain.

"We will find the culprit," vows the Police Minister. No, I think to myself, you will not find the culprit, though you may find the man who pulled the trigger. I do not know who the culprit is, but I know where to find him. He is sitting in the Conservative Club in Santiago, where many members are making no attempt to disguise their glee at this disgraceful act. Worst of all, some young hotheads are now toasting the assassin as a great national hero, and a saviour of Chile. That is what comes from a privileged upbringing coupled with not much brains and too much money, I think to myself.

The worst part of it is that the Liberal Party, despite its long hold on power and extension of the frachise, really has little support throughout the country at large. The ordinary people, the farmers, the mineworkers, the labourers in the small local manufactures all see the the Liberals as a party that represents the interests of the rich. And I must confess there is some justice in this. The Liberals are opposed to high taxes. They are also opposed to government sponsored social programmes - people must be taught self-reliance, they proclaim - and, if the worst comes to the worst, there are always the church foundations or private philanthropy to fall back on. These are not opinions that endear one to the poor.

Immigration is also not popular, and the Liberals are favourable towards immigrants. Most immigrants settle in the provinces of La Serena and Valparaiso, and there is a saying among the miners of La Serena that the immigrant is the mine-owner's best friend. Thus, they see immigrants not as people who will help to produce more output, buy more goods and services and pay more taxes, but simply as competitors for their jobs, people whose arrival helps to keep wages down. And so militancy is rising among the poor, but most particularly in these two provinces. After a cabinet discussion we decide to station troops in each of these provinces. Perhaps the presence of soldiers will calm the situation. For the rest, we can only hope that the present instability will pass, and political life will resume its normal dull tenor.

Last edited:
This is well-done and interesting. :)

Mmm, I think the finance minster got caught out by his own fiscal prudence there. He should not have begrudged paying his spies! Hoisted on his own petard.

A very interesting update all in all, though. The economic miracle that is Chile continues to astound all and sundry.

This seems like an interesting AAR, and I seriously hope Chile doesn't stay idle and backwards until 1914. I hope the Conservadores have another chance of ruling :).

Thanks for the support, guys. Good to know someone is still reading these "old Vicky" AARs amidst all the "Revolutions" madness. :)

Last edited:
-- 1851 --

May 1851: Population: 1,616,000; Literacy: 29%; Exports: $29; Cash Reserve: $2930.

The year 1851 began with a bitter disappointment for Chile. Mindful of the exceedingly good relations that existed with Argentina, and had been cultivated on the Argentinian side for many years, we decided to offer Argentina an alliance. Despite the years of mutual friendship, the offer was declined. Now, to understand why this refusal caused such dismay among both government an opposition, you must understand something of our long-term aims, and of the only military plan that exists to realize these: the so-called Lopez Plan.

One of our main objectives since achieving independence from Spain has been to get back the three provinces that were taken from us by the Peruvians at that time. These three provinces - the two coastal provinces of Bolivia, and the southernmost coastal province of Peru, had been part of the old General-Captaincy of Chile in the days of Spanish rule. The General-Captaincy was itself a sub-division of the Viceroyality of Peru, though largely autonomous of Lima, and had even minted its own coinage since 1749. Since it had administered these three provinces, it was only just and logical that, on achieving independence, Chile should continue to hold them. However, taking advantage of the long years of strife against Spain (Valdivia was occupied by the Spanish until 1820) and of the civil turmoil that existed in Chile after independence, the treacherous Peruvians siezed these provinces for themselves, and refused all reasonable offers to relinquish them. On dissolution of the Confederation of Peru and Bolivia, two provinces fell to Bolivia, while the third, containing valuable sulphur deposits, remained in Peruvian hands.

It was clear early on that the restitution of these provinces would never be resolved by diplomatic means: only military action would restore to Chile these ancient lands and thus wipe out the humiliation of being robbed by our neighbours. And the only serious military plan to do this was the Lopez Plan.

The Lopez Plan

The Lopez Plan had been developed in the early 1830s by a Colonel Lopez, a veteran of the Wars of Independence, who was also the leading military tactician in Chile of his generation. He was an avid student of Clausewitz, and from him had absorbed the importance of terrain in warfare. It was clear to him that the hostile, mountainous terrain of Northern Chile and Bolivia would be a decisive factor in any conflict between Chile and Bolivia or Peru. The advantage in such a terrain of holding the high gound, of being able to dig into the mountains while the enemy was forced to apporach through the valleys below, was to him so vital that he developed the maxim (much quoted by aspiring Chilean military tacticians ever since) that "He who first enters a province, holds the province." This was the fundamental tenet around which the Lopez plan evolved.

Now, the only way by land from Chile into Bolivia is through Antafagusta Province, and since Bolivia kept a permanent garrison at the border in Antafagusta Province, it was obvious that if it came to war, Antafagusta could only be captured by our troops at enormous sacrifice of men and materiel, a sacrifice our small nation could ill bear. The solution was therefore to circumvent Antafagusta: to enter Bolivia from Argentina! And that is where an alliance with Argentina becomes pivotal.

lopezplan2yn2.jpg

The Lopez Plan thus required for its fulfillment an alliance with Argentia, or at least military access through Argentina into Bolivia. The army, consisting of regular infantry and cavalry divisions, would move from Copiapo Province in Northern Chile into the neighbouring Argentinian province of Cochinoca, and then from Cochinoca into Potosi Province in Southern Bolivia, thus circumventing the Bolivian garrison at Antafagusta. Once Potosi, and with it a supply route through Argentina had been secured, the army would move up to Oruro province, and having secured that also, as rapidly as possible north to the capital, La Paz. (The route of the army is shown by the black arrows on the map, the position of the reserves in grey.) Once La Paz was captured, we would be at a considerable advantage and could then dictate a favourable peace. Meanwhile, whatever reserves we had (always more badly trained and less reliable than regular troops) would also be drafted north to Copiapo, but would remain to garrison Copiapo Province on the border, thus tying down the Bolivian troops in Antafagusta. Should Antafagusta nevertheless be vacated by the Bolivians after our invasion, the reserves would move forward to capture the abandoned province without a fight.

So far the theory, and while it is perhaps not an inspired piece of military genius, it seemed to us to be quite sound and the only viable way of invading, and quite possibly beating Bolivia without incurring heavy losses. The alternative of a naval landing of troops north of Antafagusta in Calama province was never seriously considered, since we have no navy to speak of, while the Bolivians have a frigate. Even if we had a navy sufficient to beat the Bolivians, such a plan could never be sure of success, since any naval engagements might well result in Calama province being garrioned also in the case of war. Thus, everything rested on an alliance with Argentina.

Now it was clear that such an alliance would not come to pass, at least not for the foreseeable future. So the Lopez plan would remain where it was, locked up in the offices of the War Ministry, quietly shelved but not forgotten, slowly ticking away like an unexploded bomb.

The State of the Chilean Military

All this talk of the Lopez Plan is really academic, because to be quite truthful, even if we did enter into an alliance with Argentina, the state of our military and our finances would never allow us to fight a war before the alliance expired. The state of the army is particularly deplorable, and its technology has hardly changed since the days of the Independence Wars. The drawing below, done by a traveller in the 1830s, is, I believe, of Brazilian troops. But really, they could just as well be Chilean troops today:

pl19yp7.jpg

The ancient flintlock rifles our army has are as much a danger to the men using them as they are to the enemy, and are thus kept locked away in the armoury at all times. It is high time to do something about this, and so we enter into negotiations with our still-good-friends Argentina. We agree that in return for sending them a team of engineers to teach them the latest mechanized mining techniques (industrially they are such a backward country) they will send us a team of officers to teach our soldiers to use muzzle-loaded rifles, for which an order has been placed. I have also placed an order for some artillery and explosives. One never knows when they may come in useful.

The War Minister is quite delighted by this turn of events. "Now all we need," he says to me, "is two more infantry divisions, and we can teach those Bolivian land-squattters a lesson they will not soon forget!" Only two divisions? The man is an optimist.

Last edited:
Agenor said:
since we have no navy to speak of, while the Bolivians have a frigate.
Sorry but this just cracked me up. Just one measley frigate brings Chile to its knees! ;) :D

Some improvement in military matters is overdue, however.

It's a shame Vicky won't let you just buy a couple of pre-made frigates from the British or French like the CSA did in the American Civil War.

Quirinus308 said:
It's a shame Vicky won't let you just buy a couple of pre-made frigates from the British or French like the CSA did in the American Civil War.

True. As it is, I haven't researched a single naval tech, and have no intention of doing so for a very long time.

Time for war :cool: Which is ironic because the latest issue of Military History Quarterly talks about the "Guano War" between Chile and the Peru-Bolivia alliance.

I had forgotten all about the Guano/Saltpeter War. I looked it up and it is surprising how my little game replicates history in some ways! :)

As for the war, you will have to wait a few years yet. We still have our internal problems to contend with. And then there is the vexed question of Patagonia...

-- 1852 to 1853 --

The year of 1852 saw a change to the political landscape, the significance of which, if any, is at this time unclear. Radical elements of the Liberales, the governing party, have decided to split and form a new party. They call themselves the Partido Liberal, and while they seem to support many traditional liberal policies, such as laissez faire and free trade, they are distinctly and unpleasantly anti-military:

newpolpartyqg5.jpg

The main initiators of this new political party seem to be a group of radical professors and their students at the University of Santiago.

The general reaction to the creation of this new party, both among the Liberales and Conservadores, is one of dismay. Among the Liberales this is primarily because the party may turn out to be a competitor for the liberal vote in Chile. Among the Conservadores the dismay stems from the anti-military stance of the party, which they see (with some justification, given our lost provinces) as downright unpatriotic, and just another sign of how the country is going throroughly to the dogs under the Liberales. "Ban this godless, unpatriotic party," snarls one old Conservative deputy in the Assembly. There is much verbal support for this measure in the House, but fortunately cooler heads hold sway.

I am particularly struck by the oratory of one of our rising young stars in the Liberales, Jacinto Serrano, clever, rich, charismatic and a talented political speaker. This new party is not something to be feared, he proclaims. No, despite the fact that he distances himself emphatically from the new party's stance on defence, its creation is to be welcomed: it is a sign of how democracy is maturing in Chile, how we are develping with the times, how we are an example of freedom to all in this world dominated by kings and dictators.

I am not convinced by this rhetoric. Most other democracies get by just fine with two parties, so why do we need three? But then I am not convinced by Jacinto Serrano. I think that he is a man of few principles and an opportunist par excellence, that he is really putting our feelers to this new party, and that if ever he became leader of the Liberales, he would be quite happy to merge us with the new party this were advantageous enough. For the time being, however, the new party has virtually no support at all, and can safely be ignored.

Economic Progress

Looking back, the 1850s were really not such a bad era, with the exception of one ghastly political event that is soon to come. They were an era of slow but steady growth, of gradual improvements in our technology and infrastructure. Really, we should have continued this way instead of going the path we did, I sometimes think, but I am rushing ahead of myself.

Our financial situation showed slow but very steady improvement over time, as the improvements in banking and financial regulation began to take effect.

income1852un6.jpg

Early in 1851 a decimal monetary system was introduced, and subsequently a silver standard was adopted. Insurance companies were regulated, as was the buying and selling of stocks. In September 1853 the first railway was built, linking Sanitago de Chile with the port of Valparaiso. Everyone is very proud of the fact that it is the first railway in South America.

A Terrible Event

On April 1st 1853 a terrible thing occurs. Jacinto Serrano has been assassinated! The man I suspected of wanting to build bridges between the Liberales and the Partido Liberal is dead. He was found lying dead in the gutter, stabbed through the heart in one of the poorest areas of Santiago, an area that is not near his home, his club, the Assemby or his mistress's house, and that he would have had no cause to pass through on his way to any of these. But there is worse: round his neck is found a big cardboard sign reading "Traitor to his Country and his Party", written in large letters in blood. "Written in his own blood!" people gasp in dismay. But examination shows it was not his blood, probably sheep's blood, and the sign was certainly prepared for him before he died. The police put out a large reward for information, but all that comes in is useless. It is not even clear when or where he died, let alone who did the deed, or who commissioned it.

The Police Minister has a theory that it was the new Partido Liberal who had him killed, but why should they assassinate a man clearly well inclined towards them? Ahh, says the Minister, they want to divide us, to make us Liberales believe it was one of us, and so to disillusion us with our own party, and perhaps get some of us to go over to them instead! Frankly, this seems too far-fetched to me and there is not a shred of evidence for it. It could just have well have been the Conservatives, determined to teach Liberales who flirt with radical ideas and new parties a lesson.

No, what worries me is a probability less remote than the theory of the Police Minister, who is an ass. I wonder whether a senior member of the Liberales could have arranged this, and had the "Traitor to his Party" sign hung round his neck partly to deflect suspicion from the Liberales (after all, if we were guilty we would never advertise the fact) and partly to deter other members who were thinking of putting our friendly feelers to the Partido Liberal. Of course, I cannot voice these suspicions publicly. I cannot even voice them in cabinet. But I do mention them to the President.

Presidente de Guzman has now ruled Chile for twelve years, and has impressed me with his patience, prudence and caution, far more important qualities than intelligence in a leader. But he is also very intelligent, far too intelligent to arrange such an assassination. He sits quietly, considering what I have said. "You may be right," he concedes finally, "Although I hope you are not right, and that it was the Conservadores who did this. But I know as little as you do. I wish for my own peace of mind I knew more. Had Serrano been an older man, and a candidate to succeed me, his death would worry me a great deal more than it does, but he was not. He was not thirty yet, and still a good twenty years from power. I think he could have become a leader of our Party and country. What a terrible waste."

And there we are: our international standing has again suffered, and the body politic is nagged by fears and doubts. Months, years go by, but the murderer of Jacinto Serrano is never found.

Ironic in a way. The politician who proclaimed a maturing of Chilean democracy shows how immature it remains by the nature of his death.

Was that event a political assassination? I've never seen it effect the Liberals, in all the games I've played the Conservatives con and mil go up as a result of a political assassination, but here it seems like it was the Liberals instead. Interesting telling of it, either way.

Snefix: It was a political assassination, but I used some poetic licence in the interpretation. ;)