• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Shaybanid
Chapter 15

Kongo has been catholic all game; they had a long list of Habsburgs (with Spanish first names :wacko:) before this, ie. Chief Alvaro II Habsburg…

This decision requires +20 prestige. No wonder I've only just been able to enact it.

First time I've ever had this. I want Sakhalin so I will fight for it. If I do end up taking it, I will rename it "Karafuto".

shay202.jpg

This is a very useful event - I was planning on invading Tibet and Manchu once my WE had fallen - I have cores on both of them (Tibetan core was from years back) Troops were massed on their borders in preparation.

shay203.jpg

Gah! I forgot about access from Manchu I got during the Chinese war. I canceled it with Tibet - but not Manchu.

Still, if I survive this I'll be well-placed for westernisation - last slider move required in two years' time. Stability funding slider to the maximum!!

War exhaustion spontaneously rose from 3.08 to 8.08. Ack.

Ahahaha. Ahaha. Ha.

And while I'm at it, I may as well…

This a hundred-year-old or so mission.

A tortuously difficult one, at that :p

Wow, this tiny country sounds powerful… they have 1,000 men. And no allies. Oh, and they're Shinto.

I take that back… they do have allies!

Oh, this game is making it easier for me :D

That's the second time I've had this request from Salzburg. I let them have it, after denying them first time round.

Salzburg has 2 provinces: Salzburg, and Kisarna in Kongo. I'm a long way from Kongo, though.

War with Manchu finished (leaving Xia in the war. Hehe) having killed no soldiers. I got what I wanted, but I had to take an infamy hit for it. :mad: I probably should have taken some rubbish provinces leaving me with a CB on them. Oh well.

Vassalised Golcanda, still at war with Shinto Ahmadnagar. New mission is to vassalise… Ahmadnagar.

Ahmadnagar disbanded their 1,000 man army before I fought them, then decided to build it again when I was occupying their one province. Suicidal.

Talking of suicidal one-province countries… Manipur!

Revolt risk map mode. It's pretty high at the moment. Next level of stability (-1) in June 1713. It should take up to about 1725, then I'll westernise. Muahaha!

Okay, what is going on?

What is this madness?

Ah well, time for another *huge* war. Unless Manipur is war leader… muahaha…

Vassalised Ahmadnagar. Here is the religion. Have converted some of Gujarat and a bit of the east coast.

You see that purple in Sudan-area? That's a Manchu-cultured Manchu-owned Confucian province.

Squeezed as much as I could from Manipur… It's not every day you get essentially 100% warscore vs. Ming, without fighting them. Manipur was war leader. Assam, which I took, was a core of mine.

Xia dishonoured my alliance. They will be punished. Muahaha.

MUST watch infamy… infamy limit is 45, 8 of which is from my king. Oh dear.

Fortunately, his son has the same diplomacy rating as he. Had it been significantly lower, and the sultan died, the whole country would go up in flames.

Slider move for westernisation. Just need the stability now.

That's it for this chapter! The Mughal Empire is now at peace; rebels everywhere! Nationalist sentiment events keep triggering because of my infamy (40ish!), keeping revolt risk high. I expect the next few years, up to the mid 1720s, will be spent rebuilding and stabilising, then I'll do it all over again with westernisation! Fun!

[/tamius]

Viewcount: 2129

Shaybanid
Chapter 16

I was happily colonising the eskimos in Siberia when…

Gah! and I was doing so well. I was almost down to Kamchatka.

Have decided not to attack England to get Sakhalin - they are allied with Spain, Portugal and Bohemia. Yuck.

Ooh, a plan! *devious*

The province revolted from Portugal's control. Hopefully with this I can get a stronger foothold on South India.

Good to see the indian countries helping me do so :)

War is going very badly. I have lost around six 9,000 man armies so far. I ought to just overrun them.

I've lost them to irritating things like beating them in a battle, then following them as they retreat… only to have my own army annihilated, despite numerical, morale, and tech advantages.

Anyway, with me rebuilding my military, this will be much fun.

How glad I am that I have no more Tribal Succession Crises!

FINALLY finished the war, after sending in close to 70,000 soldiers. More will need to be recruited.

I also need to keep an eye on my infamy.

Could not annex Madurai because of the Maldives; I am useless with boats.

I hate events like these. I got about four before I westernised, putting me a few years behind schedule.

Fortunately, the rebels have calmed down.

Salzburg has moved its capital to Kisarna.

Here's my mission.

Ming is massively destabilised (-3) and at war with huge and powerful countries, like Pegu.

They're also at war with France.

And even though I'm at -1 stability…

shay225.jpg

Yes, time for war again… Hopefully I can handle this.

shay226.jpg

shay227.jpg

Okay, what AI did this? WTF?!

France establishing French Indochina ~100 years before they are supposed to.

This puts me up to 44.2 infamy. Oh dear.

Limit is 47.36.

More tiny countries fall on their swords.

No idea how this happened, but Ming would take any peace deal up to that amount. Was careful not to take any infamy.

Could have released more countries in SE Asia or taken less money, but where's the fun in that? :D

This is all I was going to get from them due to my infamy:

Fortunately this sultan's son has the same diplomatic rating as he; meaning the bonus from the current ruler won't go away. However, should the sultan die, legitimacy may also be impacted.

I released Lan Xang from Ming, and consequently I am allied with them.

There's no point declining a CTA if you needn't.

War finished with Taungu: not much to report.

I have a core on Naga. I decided not to take it, as it is just the same amount of infamy as Brahmaputra, and I keep a CB on Taungu to snack on later.

Viewcount: 2,248

stab costs should be a killer with an empire that big and the lovely +50% costs gained with the westernization ...

Shaybanid
Chapter 17

More tomfoolery with Lan Xang. I'm in the war on the same side as Pegu.

South India is a huge rebel problem. There aren't many but when they pop up they'll destroy a 9k stack most times; mostly against intuition (eg. they were defeated, pursued, and caught, meaning they are the attacker when demoralised, caught in the same month - yet they win? :mad:

I have adopted a policy of training two stacks whenever one is killed.

His son has 8 diplomatic skill, meaning no significant changes to infamy limit. Phew.

Made it! Western technology group. First time I've ever made it all the way there.

South India will be unbearable…!

This is useful - Penchisky (highlighted) will complete my Pacific coast.

Infamy limit is 47.9. I'm cutting it fine.

I'm going to be backtracking and going towards Narrowminded to convert everyone Sunni.

Gack! The heir died and I got this plonker as a replacement.

Should the sultan die now, I will go over the infamy limit and die right there.

Pegu… You had it coming.

Oh, poor, poor Pegu.

What is up with Taungu…? It seems determined to kill itself as soon as it can.

If I didn't have an infamy problem, I'd annex them.

I couldn't help but be nice to Pegu. I had their country fully occupied.

This is actually GREAT. Berar will be war-leader, so if I occupy them I can take what I want from Portugal. Muahaha!

Siberia is now perfect :)

Found no Portuguese troops at all.

I have sent a missionary to convert the Portuguese in Siberia, so they will be Sunni and Portuguese. Just like that province in East Africa.

I'm keeping one province uncolonised as a pet. You'll find out why in ~80 years of game time.

It's now 1756 and with the advent of the first colonial revolter (Mexico) I present to you:

A Brief Intermission

North America

Scotland has relocated to Quebec area. Breton NA is mostly Native American cultured.

France got 1 province.

Pale blue is The Hansa, dark green Russia, mid-green Portugal. England in red.

South and Central America

Inca is still animist, in exile in Colombia. Most former Inca provinces are still animist.

Oh, have you noticed Trinidad and Tobago are both on the map twice?

Africa

Venice has relocated to Nigeria and lost Venice province. Salzburg has relocated next to Kongo. Kongo has been Catholic since ever. Mutapa is mine. Manchu had Funj for a while, lost it, then came back for it, and got Ethiopia and bits of the Mamluks while they were there. That would make a hell of a colonial revolter, in East Africa. The Ottomans have converted southern Funj to Turkish culture.

Europe and North Africa

Spain is in a PU under England (and still control Rousillon.) The Palatinate, Hesse and Lorraine all blobbed up due to the Nationalism CB. (and the Palatinate is at war with the other two) France has done nothing for a long time. Venice controlled Scotland until patriots reunited it. Bohemia has expanded the empire all the way to Greece (Athens!) Lithuania recently beat Russia in a war. Sweden is mostly orthodox. England owns Arabia. Ukraine is a tribal federation.

East Asia and Siberia

Ming has been collapsing for the last twenty years.

South East Asia and Oceania

Indonesia is a massive free-for-all with most western European countries jumping in. The Philippines were settled far earlier, and Sulu still exists.

Australia is mostly Portuguese, and NZ is half Portuguese, half Spanish.

Hawaii is Austrian. I have my sights set on Fiji.

Many pirates in the Sea of Okhotsk.

[/interlude]

Ming has been spamming me with spies. Grrrr

Reahced maximum stability after westernisation. Tech will be far faster now.

The Pacific islands have all been settled now, by Austrians and Spaniards.

This update has been cut short due to the "screenshot rule". Don't worry. More will come.

This is my 500th post.

Viewcount: 2319

the thoughts of all those little OPMs: Hey, look, a huge country with sooo many soldiers! I'm sure my demoralized army can conquer it!

Shaybanid
Chapter 18

This is the beginning of the great Turkic migration to India. Unfortunately, they're Hindu.

I've also got settlement policy in Agra (just enacted it now) and Delhi (from a long time ago)

First colonial revolter state! It is Reformed German Canada.

Here's the next one, Venezuela. It consists of the Turks Islands.

Guam stayed Sunni and Uzbek, even under French rule. They have just defected.

Venezuela has been annexed by Spain and Canada is a vassal of Scotland.

UPCA is Cuba.

With Ming at war with Manchu, Xia and some pointless SE Asian states, I decided the time is right to attack and reclaim Guyuan. I'll get some other provinces too. Don't worry.

Every time I go to war, Pegu tries to kill itself. Sigh.

War was fairly uneventful (read: I forgot to take pictures). Shaanxi was worth 13% warscore - Ming took some cajoling to give it up.

I'm watching my infamy like a hawk.

Palatinate is blobbing further, having eaten Hesse and Trier. It's currently consuming Bavaria.

I have a national idea free. What should I do with it?

Poor Ming. Also, here's how far I've got on converting the heathens.

Ryukyu wasn't a vassal of Ming any more and I checked to see the size of their navy - no ships. So I loaded up those soldiers in Madagascar and sailed them off to Okinawa.

And while I was going there, Madurai killed itself. I can annex them now, my infamy is low enough.

I did what I had to to those countries.

Haiti revolts in (shock, horror) Haiti.

Venezuela did it properly this time.

shay268.jpg

Infamy cooled off a bit - time for a war.

Norway, Denmark and Makassar joined in.

Shortly followed by Pegu and Taungu, who declare war on me AGAIN. They have death wishes.

I have adopted the ideas of Humanist Tolerance and Regimental System.

Neglected to mention Berar killed itself:

Took some land from Swahili. However…

the sultan popped his clogs and I am now over the infamy limit (just). It'll be a test of how well organised my troops are.
I'm frightened.

Already under attack by the great powers of Adal and Maharasthra.

Muscowy declared war on me. Add them to Golcanda and Ahmadnagar (vassals) and Norway, who is a remnant of the war with Swahili.

Adal stole my colony in Somalia. I won't seize it back… yet… as their seizure of it seems to have come with a reduction in infamy, and seizing it back would cause me to go back over the limit. You win this one, Adal.

Norway is occupying Madagascar and Guam.

This update has also been cut short due to the screenshot rule.

Viewcount: 2,425

Interesting, never read a Shaybanid AAR before, nor one that starts so late. Do you have any specific goals to accomplish in the last two decades of the game?

Also, a couple of questions.. why do you always take massive casualties, even if you win? It's not because of your army tech group, since the same thing happened when you fought Ming. And I notice that you don't really make much use of advisors... why is that? I imagine a high-level diplomat will help with your infamy problem for example.

The casualties are probably due to the fact that I rarely have a general commanding my army.

When I fought Ming the tech was 22 for them and 31 for me.

I have a level 1 diplomat, but I can't find one with higher skill than that.

As for the last two decades, I plan on retaking my cores, then I will convert the save to Victoria 2 and continue it there.

The casualties are probably due to the fact that I rarely have a general commanding my army.

It's funny how you have 48k sitting in the treasury but don't bother to use generals. :p

Did you do military modernization by the way? I saw the full westernization otherwise but didn't spot that one.

I have a level 1 diplomat, but I can't find one with higher skill than that.

Use cultural tradition to "spawn" one.

Anyway, appears to be going smoothly. Looking forward to the endgame. :)

You'll see a diplomat in the next update, which may be up this afternoon - you'll have to wait and see. It'll probably be the penultimate one before conversion to V2.

I haven't modernised the military, and I don't intend to.

Last edited:
Shaybanid
Chapter 19

Oh no - not Nizhny Novgorod! That huge powerful imperial nation!

Infamy cooled off a little so I seized Majerteen back and white peaced with most countries. Norway still won't take peace. Doesn't matter, I can survive at war with them until the end of the game.

Taungu is trying to kill itself. It must know about my infamy!

I'm sure Gujarat thought they had a chance.

Fully occupied Taungu and this is what I got from them. Still at war with Nizhny Novgorod: they have one of my provinces occupied, due to the fact that their fort is level 4.

My truce with Golcanda has run out. Paradoxically, to conquer them infamy-free I must be the aggressor. So be it.

I recruited a diplomat - not much of an improvement, but still, will help a bit. At Malurous' recommendation.

It was 4 infamy to annex NN (2 provinces) and 8 for Gujarat (1 province). Puts me up to 34.2 with the limit at 36.2.

I will be making the Russians Sunni.

Golconda's fort is level 3, so I haven't been able to make it fall.

Culture of Europe (note no Basques in Spain) and a sure victory we missed out on.

Golconda's fort falls. Annexed.

The Turkic migration to India continues. This will help to reduce my infamy, as well.

North American borders are just awful.

Spain is at -3 stability and colonial patriots are all over the place. They have had Aztec as a vassal for all of the game.

Creek, Cherokee and Shawnee are all there, and they are all shamanist.

Have converted part of NN.

Delhi is now Uzbek cultured.

Well that's a stroke of luck[/sarcasm]

Infamy limit is higher due to his claim on the throne.

The same trick with the cores and infamy applies to Taungu as well, as I have a core on Naga.

All of their allies honoured the alliance, including Tibet, who I also have a core on (U Tsang). However, I will take an infamy hit for that.

Peace. Took some more infamy as the limit has risen a bit.

Lan Xang is war leader, they conceded defeat.

South America is weird. Borders are cleaner due to Chilean independence, and Brazil is at the mouth of the Amazon. They are Russian and Catholic.

Catalonia is also independent, as is Galicia.

Paid off Norway. It's not like I can't afford it.

There's a little sprite error. Either that or my commander has been stabbed with a pointy gun.

Sunni missionary behind him.

Qin is Sunni, had nothing to do with me.

Declaration of war on Maharasthra.

Religious mapmode. I'm keeping the Catholics and Shiites in India until the end of the game, and I will do the same with the Shintoists. There are nearly no Hindus left.

Novgorod is as suicidal as the other one-province countries. Pegu in 3-2-1…

New sultan.

That's 20 pictures. It's likely the next update will be the last, excepting possible statistics update at the end.

Viewcount: 2,576

at that one pic with your "loss"...
If the Sultan (what, no Shah?) had sent a letter:
"dear rebels,
Nice job, killing absolutely no one. Commendable. Next time try to kill someone please."

Shaybanid
Chapter 20

War with Novgorod continued. Novgorod is war leader. I can make peace with them when their level 4 fort falls.

Fort falls. Infamy limit is 41.

Russia is embroiled in a war with mega Lithuania. And I got a CB on them, so there's only one thing I can do.

SWAHILI jumps in.

As do some other nations (Taungu etc) for which there is no point taking a picture.

War in Russia, 1819:

I only have the CB for those provinces in the southern bit. They are occupied by Lithuania. I can't take any of the northern ones due to infamy (gah!)

1821. I sued for peace with Russia in December 1820, with an offer that would have put me over the limit, temporarily - but they rejected the offer, and I was unable to give a new one as there must be a month delay in between sending diplomats. Ugh.

This is quite a short update.

Question to the readers:

1. Would you like a look at the ledger pages and some maps of the world, as a sort of addendum to the AAR?

Yours,

Mughal Emperor Tamius I Shaybanid

Viewcount: 2710

Thank you for the great read and congratulations on finishing the AAR! An impressive effort. :)

I'd certainly like to see maps, techs etc.

Thank you to all of you for reading the AAR.

I will post a feedback update later that will include the pictures you requested, plus a preview of the continuation.

Shaybanid

Addendum and Statistics Update!

North America in 1821. Avoid it. The borders are awful.

South America in 1821.

shay303.jpg

Europe and the Middle East. The Palatinate, Bavaria and Flanders have all been busy blobbing. The Palatinate used to be quite a lot bigger.

Granada has almost all of Spain under occupation. They're Catholic though.

Morocco only recently reached the stage of North African Empire.

shay304.jpg

Southern Africa. Manchu, Venice, Austria and I were the main colonisers. Let's see who wins the Scramble for Africa in V2!

East Asia and Indonesia.

I'm a little annoyed over English Sakhalin/Hokkaido. Give it back to the Japanese!

Sliders/National Ideas page.

NIs are Colonial Ventures, National Conscripts, Military Drill, National Bank, Divine Supremacy, Humanist Tolerance, and Regimental System.

The motivation for the sliders? I was once far more centralised and innovative, but I began moving back towards Narrowminded for missionaries. It meant that almost all my realm was Sunni.

Centralisation regressed due to random events, and I never reformed the military, so it didn't matter so much. Most of the other sliders I completely ignored.

shay307.jpg

Ledger page #1: income. Mughals is top by a short amount.

shay308.jpg

Tech. Despite being in the western tech group, I'm behind a few Oriental countries such as Lithuania. Navarra is top with ~68/69 in most techs.

shay309.jpg

Armies. What can I say? :cool:

shay310.jpg

My pace of expansion was fairly steady. I colonised a bit, but most of it was through conquest, in India/China/Russia/East Africa.

shay311.jpg

Pie is delicious.

So. That concludes the EU3 part of this AAR. On to:

This! I used the excellent DWtoV2 converter (find it in the V2 modding forum). I've only found one problem with it. One.

I picked this part of my country, the eastern border, because the frontier runs exactly along the Amur river.

Here's the starting great powers (LOOK! I'M FIRST!) and the little error I pointed out earlier: almost every country has "North German" as an accepted culture. It's supposed to be Tatar.

That's all you're getting until I put the thread up in the V2 AAR forums. I'll start writing it now.

Viewcount: 3068