• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cally

Captain
87 Badges
Aug 9, 2009
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Iron Cross
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Divine Wind
vxaod.jpg

A CSA (Combined Syndicates of America) Kaiserreich 1.3 final AAR.

The year is 1936, and the state of the union in the United States of America is not strong. The failing economy and social stagnation has created a radicalized population in America. The old parties of the Democrats and the Republics struggle to maintain their traditional power base among increasing numbers of two new power factions. On one side are the Syndicalists: advocating outright revolution and overthrow of the government in a manner similar to what was accomplished in the Commune of France and the Union of Britain, based mostly in the industrialized Chicago/Michigan area. On the other side was the America First Union Party, a Populist movement advocating tight economic controls to improve the welfare of the people without social revolution, wrapped in a package of 'plain common sense', based primarily in the more traditional Southern United States.

President Herbert Hoover had decided to uphold the tradition of two-term presidency and not seek a third term. His vice president, Charles Curtis, was guaranteed the nomination and would run as the Republican candidate, supported by the few Americans pleased by, or at least indifferent to, the Hoover presidency. The democrats offered John Nance Garner, a conservative Texan Democrat, with the logic that Southerners might be persuaded to vote for him and remove support from the America First Union Party candidate.

Representing America First was its founder, Southern politician Huey Long.

Representing the Syndicalists was journalist-turned-politician John 'Jack' Reed.

What would follow in the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November would be an election that shook the world.

---

This is my very first AAR, so I'm not sure how good it will be or even if I will see it through to proper completion, but hopefully it will be entertaining for those who read it. :)

As a short intro for those who don't know: Kaiserreich is a mod for HoI2, and now Darkest Hour, based on an alternate-history in which the Central Powers won WWI. The United States remained neutral and became politically and economically isolated by a world that was now comprised of the German Empire, new revolutionary Syndicalist governments, and the remnants of the traditional British Empire and its allies. For this AAR, this will be half story based, and half gameplay based. Where appropriate I will include story elements, but to explain why I made 'this choice' instead of 'that choice' I will rely on gameplay explanations.

The AAR will start in 1936 as the United States of America, and continue until the American Civil War breaks out and the Combined Syndicates of America nation is now playable. This might not be 'fair' because I start playing as a nation I later have to destroy, but it's preferable to playing an isolated nation like Tibet and just letting the clock run, with the possibility that the AI will make strange event choices.

Reasons to play as the CSA:
1. The AI usually cannot win the ACW as the CSA. They let the USA take Detroit or Chicago early and then never recover. Playing as the CSA and winning the ACW proves we are smarter than the AI. :happy:
2. Good tech teams, ministers, leaders, and a nice developed string of events. CSA's tech teams are not top-tier, but they are adequate and will allow us to maintain pace with the rest of the world in every field except perhaps the navy. The developers really put some work into being able to play the CSA after winning the war.
3. Once the ACW is won, you are basically King of the Syndicalists. You will have the highest IC of all nations, enough resources to run them all by yourself, and the potential to dominate the world under the Syndicalist banner. The alliance may be led by the Commune of France, but you will be the real power.

Here is a list of goals I will use for this AAR:
1. We will win the American Civil War (of course!), including absorbing the Pacific States of America.
2. We will prepare for war with Mexico (probably, if they are not Syndicalist), and Canada (definitely).
3. We will help the Commune of France win their war against Germany and the other Central Powers.
4. We will turn our attention to either Central/South America or the Entente in Australia, India, North Africa, and the Caribbean.
5. Not World Conquest, but World Revolution. To bring as many countries into the Internationale alliance faction as possible. (Presumably by conquering them, then releasing puppets.) We will not leave the alliance with Commune of France and then invade Europe, for example.
6. Nuclear weapons will be pursued, but hopefully not necessary.

Here is a list of events that I will have no direct control over, but which I hope will happen through the power of random chance and luck:
1. We hope as many countries go Syndicalist on their own as possible, especially Soviet Russia. More syndicalist countries means more troops and free resources will be sent to us when the ACW is going on. An extra militia or infantry can make all the difference. :)
2. We will hope Canada will not seize New England during the ACW. And we ESPECIALLY hope that Canada will not just declare war on us when it breaks out! (In fact, if this happens I may be forced to reload/restart. It's too easy for Canada to just run into Detroit and Chicago and destroy your IC base while your army is wiping up the other factions.)
3. We will hope events which benefit the Central Powers and the Entente don't happen. For example, we hope Bill C-7 will fail, we hope the Germans will be overwhelmed with dissent and lose their holdings in Asia, etc. etc.
4. We will hope that France won't declare war on Germany until 1939, or that the Entente won't go to war with the Syndicalists before then either. (There are a few event chains which bring about early conflict against the great powers, and they generally mean the CSA won't have time to build up any forces to contribute, and in fact may bring the Canadians knocking on our door before we secure the United States.)

Normal difficultly and aggression, if any cheats are used it will be the nofog one to show fighting between other countries, and possibly acceptall because sometimes events fire which leave the game with unrealistic borders which will need to be corrected through territory negotiating. Full IC and Tech Team Takeover is off.

I hope to make a pleasing AAR for you all to read. :)

f3h18.jpg

Despite the growing dissent and persistent isolationism, the United States of America held the same territory it held since the Weltkrieg. Domination of the Philippines and Liberia was maintained, and its territory in Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, the Panama Canal and Guantanamo Bay was also maintained. Unfortunately, their value had diminished with the increasing domestic crisis on the mainland.

rVicI.jpg

In international news, Russian leader Kerensky had been assassinated and its legislative body dissolved. John Reed, a little familiar with Russian politics, predicted this could very likely bring about an escalation of the tensions that were still present even after the civil war.
---
I think this locks Russia into an event chain which will have Soviet Russia break away at some point, including Siberia. At the very least, I think it prevents Russia from forming the Soviet Union peacefully, which is bad for us. (Though it's possible Russia will just give in to Soviet Russia when they break away.)

LTveU.jpg

Meanwhile, Germany's colonial government in Africa were attempting a military seizure of the remains of Portugal's African holdings after they refused to hear negotiations for the purchase of the territory.
---
Not a big concern to us, except I think it prevents Portugal from potentially joining the Central Powers later.

Last edited:
Awesome!
I think I remember atleast one CSA aar before!
Will be interesting to follow this!

Great! :happy:

April 1936, the world is already experiencing many changes.

The Italian Federation requested of the United States that it shut down the radio show of Father Charles Coughlin. A Roman Catholic Priest, Coughlin would use his access to radio to spread his political and economic (rather than religious) views. His program generally promoted America First Union Party views, but also included hateful racist diatribe that embarrassed the Catholic Church. Unfortunately, Coughlin could only be punished by his direct supervisor: an American bishop who supported his views. The Italian Federation requested the United States government shut down Coughlin's program as a gesture of goodwill between the countries.

The US government agreed Coughlin was dangerous, and new broadcasting rules and permit requirements for radio hosts were created, which Coughlin was denied access to. Without a radio voice, Coughlin began circulating a published version of his speeches until his post office license was similarly revoked. This did not stop the America First Union Party from spreading his publication locally, and upset the mass audience he formerly reached.
---
This is the first real 'choice' the USA gets in Kaiserreich. The choice is to shut down Father Coughlin or to do nothing. Doing nothing results in a loss of relationship with the Italian Federation, while shutting him down results in a small increase and a rise in dissent. In real history, Father Coughlin was eventually shut down in this fashion by 1939-1940, and ceased his political activity in 1942.

Also, did you know neither f11 nor the 'print screen' function will work when you are looking at an event decision point? I sure didn't! I will need to see if I can find someway around that because I have no screenshots of these.

YxeLl.jpg

In international news, Portugal is experiencing yet more difficulties as Panjin is seized by the Princely Federation.

DCfzH.jpg

Russia is also developing its new economic policy. John Reed was heard to comment that this would continue to raise revolt and dissent in Russia and that he wouldn't be surprised if: "...all hell [were to] break loose." (paraphrasing)
---
Not sure, but almost positive this outcome gives the Russians a huge dissent hit and continuing dissent events throughout the game.

fHBI7.jpg

Mexican President Zapata died peacefully from natural causes. Not soon after, Marshall Arango (better known as Pancho Villa) took control of the government. Ostensibly a fellow syndicalist and deserving of support, his known successful raids against American territory raised concerns with some far-sighted Union organizers.
---
Pancho Villa in office means Mexico is syndicalist, meaning we won't have to go to war with them! (Probably.) However there is a chance Mexico will declare war on the PSA or the USA and take lots of territory, in which case we will have no choice but to go to war with them too.

The Indian Citizenship Bill passed through the Senate and was presented to President Hoover for approval. It would formally grant US citizenship to Native Americans born within the United States. President Hoover signed the bill into law with little deliberation. President Hoover was quoted as saying this law was "...long overdue." Critics of Hoover pointed out the bill did not grant citizenship to Native Americans born before the law was signed, and more than 2/3 of the Native American population existing had already obtained US citizenship through other means. It was, however, still regarded as a positive step.
---
Historically this happened in 1924. It grants the US a little bit of a dissent reduction if you pass it, and a dissent gain if you don't pass it. Technically having more dissent will make it easier for us in the ACW, but this choice is more for role-playing purposes.

Awesome!
I think I remember atleast one CSA aar before!
Will be interesting to follow this!

Thank you! I hadn't remembered seeing a Kaiserreich CSA AAR before, but no reason there can't be many of them. :) (I think I will avoid looking at it if I see it in the archives for fear that it will change my direction in this game, though.)

Mostly news of an international kind as time progresses onward to June 1936. The election is just a few months away.
R4vDr.jpg

Commune of France had decided on a city to hose their Spartakiade, or the 'Syndicalist Olympics'. It was decided to hold this in territory on the border of the German Empire to scorn their so-called 'dominance'.

3ZrOz.jpg

American Syndicalist leader John 'Jack' Reed got a boost in his reputation among the working class as three Syndicalist nations pledged their support to his cause. Organizer Reed was quoted as being "moved" by the support of other countries where Syndicalism was already being practiced.

IuwqB.jpg

The Canadian government meanwhile as leader of the Entente was discussing how best to address the campaign of 'liberating' the British Isles and the necessary military buildup. The bill that addressed this issue was to be made a bi-partisan effort, which meant the right-wing British exiles would have an equal share in its creation. While the issue of conscription was discussed, it was ultimately decided as too costly politically. However, new policies restricting civil rights were included in the bill as a compromise to the extent that the Canadian progressives left the government to re-form their party.

R94Sr.jpg

...and the end was result was the British Exiles in the House of Lords decided the bill hadn't gone far enough and blocked it. It was a huge setback for Prime Minister Mackenzie King, as the compromises made had isolated him from the progressives AND failed to win over the conservatives. The majority of the Liberal Party was razor-thin.
---
Hooray for us! This means Canada will probably be slightly easier to defeat in the future as they have more dissent to deal with.

OtMso.jpg

The Olympics of 1936 began, and expectations were high.

vbgcE.jpg

An American by the name of Jesse Owens succeeded in taking home two gold medals! Internationale prestige was bolstered.

ZgD5m.jpg

Unfortunately, at the same time, record high temperatures were taking hold all across America. The Great Heat Wave of 1936 effectively killed the good will between Americans the Olympics had fostered.

Last edited:
If you revive this AAR, this would be the greatest miracle to have ever happened in the forum, I'M NOT JOKING

As I teased, I do plan to revive this. Obviously not with the same game file, since Kaiserreich is now at version 1.5.

There will two changes:
1. Instead of starting as the USA, I will start as Bhutan and wait for the CSA to appear. Why Bhutan? Because it's out of the way and has no events of its own and will not have any wars to worry about. (As opposed to... Tibet.)
2. I may attempt to insert some custom events.

Why? I just completed a long CSA game, and discovered that after winning the revolution, CSA is sort of... bare bones in events relating to ministers and such. There is one series of events to select a HoS and HoG when Jack Reed dies, and there are events to put you at war with Canada, Mexico, and the PSA if you're going isolationist and don't join the Internationale, but that's it. So, I may write some.

Also, random question: does anyone know if RB Bennet is supposed to be Canada's HoG in the latest build? All of the text points to it still being MacKenzie King.

I fully support a revival of this AAR!

Syndie AARs are the best AARs.