checking in on "consequences for workers not getting to work"

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

matthew49

Sergeant
58 Badges
Apr 14, 2015
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Island Bound
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
The lack of depth in the traffic simulation, specifically in terms of consequences when workers can't get to work or similar cases, has kept me from wanting to play over the years.

We discussed this in 2015-2016 here and here. Since then, has there been any further discussion, game updates, or mods that could resolve this issue?

people, i believe, just teleport to work if a vehicle despawns, so the vehicles impacted by traffic are trucks.

they've said a few times that they have no intention of touching the traffic simulation but they have upgraded fire, ambulance and police vehicles so they behave more realistically when their sirens are going.

Reactions:
At the start of the game, cims start off at home and are assigned a job if one is available. Then the cim drives into town, goes to their residence, then tries to go to work. If it fails, it despawns back home and tries again and again until it makes it to work.

The consequences are purely the traffic it generates. Soon all of your roads are full of traffic and no one can get anywhere and your city starts falling apart.

As mayor, you need to balance out your districts so cims can get from point A to point B in a timely manner or bad things will happen in your city.

But this game is purely about managing traffic, not getting cims to work. Getting cims to work is purely a gaming concept to make the game appear more realistic and adding traffic to the map so your city looks alive.

The game part of this is trying to figure out where cims want to go, and get them there on time.

As for cims, there are different types. As discussed, workers need to go to work. There are also Tourists that come in from off the map and only go visit your tourist attractions (unique buildings, parks, and commercial) then go bak off the map, local shoppers that want to visits businesses.

Reactions:
the traffic is supposed to be the main gameplay challenge. that's why i don't use traffic mods.

the traffic is supposed to be the main gameplay challenge. that's why i don't use traffic mods.
True, the traffic is supposed to be one of the main challenges, but I still use mods because the game does things that make no sense. My main three grumbles:

1) When I make an off-ramp from a highway to a street, I want the traffic to only merge with the right-hand traffic, so I build the off-ramp to come in at a shallow angle to the road for a smooth merge. Instead, these knuckleheads use it as a sharp left turn when I already have a separate ramp for that.
2) When merging onto a highway, cars are cutting across all lanes of traffic to get in the far left lane.
3) NO YIELD SIGNS (seriously, this is a crazy oversight)

No traffic mod is ever going to magically fix your traffic, but it does making dealing with traffic easier by forcing the AI to be more logical and giving you more real-world options.

Also, I realize #1 above is due to how the game manages nodes, segments, and pathing, but it's still annoying.

Reactions:
2) When merging onto a highway, cars are cutting across all lanes of traffic to get in the far left lane.
I've found this only happens when a highway is congested, or when there are a lot of entrances and exits relatively close. Otherwise they will merge on the right and stagger the needed lane changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: