• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

nyetflix

Sergeant
Sep 28, 2019
Problem: the trade/charter company feature is a purchase of a whole province, when in fact what this action is representing are Portuguese, Dutch, or other European leases on outposts along African and Asian coasts. These were variously forts, trading posts, factories, and/or ports, but never any of the actual cities/towns or the countryside - local indigenous states continued to rule the land as normal. There was a mutual dependence and nuance between European and local powers that is not reflected in the game. Instead of a long-term mutually beneficial arrangement, the non-European AI is making a short-term cash grab and giving away some of its potential in the long term, or everything is simply up to the Europeans and other peoples aren't actors at all. In this way, there are major inaccuracies and limits on gameplay.

Solution: change the “charter company” action to produce a province effect (titled “Factory” or "Trading Post"), rather than giving control of a province. The province owner retains full control, but the purchaser is able to make trade company investments. In addition, the province’s trade value and production efficiency is quadrupled and split equally between both parties, the purchaser has access here as long as the trading post is here, both parties get a relations bonus with one another, the province receives an appropriate bonus to institution spread, and the province owner receives a minus to tech cost.

It’s a bit of a tradeoff - no tax or manpower, but you don’t have to deal with unrest or minorities, and you still get a naval outpost, trade power and production.

• For the purposes of war, the trading post counts as owning the province, which can be occupied by other belligerents and counts towards war scores.
  • If the country that owns the province is invaded by a country with whom they have a threatened attitude, there should be a chance for them to choose to submit to vassalage of the country that has a trading post
  • Establishment of a trading post is also a peace term
  • Rivals having a trading post in the same trade node is an automatic CB
  • For the purpose of making claims, a trading post acts as if you own that province
  • New diplomatic option, and peace term, of “Grant monopoly” for countries that own trading posts in your provinces. Until the monopoly expires, no other country will be able to establish trading posts in or transfer trade power from your provinces.
  • I’m unsure about this particular point, but I think that multiple trading posts should be able to be set up in a single province (but only one per country).
  • I also suggest that this action require a colonist, because it seems to have mainly been unique to European empires.
These outposts can also be established on uncolonized provinces. With enough development and/or trade company investments, these can change into regular provinces. If they are uninhabited, they take the culture and religion of the nearest coastal province within the same trade node. For instance, Cabo Verde would become Senegambian Fetishist. They can also be established inland among major rivers and lakes, but this requires at least one fully controlled province within the trade node.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:

Sete

Major
39 Badges
Jan 24, 2018
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
Just to add that Cape Verde did not have any indigenous population when discovered, just like Madeira and Azores.

I agree that Trade Companies should be built, the use of a Colonist makes no sense to construct a building. If anything you should spend 150 gold let's say to construct a Fortified trade post, that will give some measure of defence when the province is attacked, that should help the owner of the trade post and the owner of the region.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Styria

Second Lieutenant
26 Badges
May 17, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Why do we need colonists, anyway? Why can't I send a merchant instead, he's just sitting his behind in a trade node most of the game, he could definitely contribute more.

Also diplomats. Sometimes I have a free one I could sacrifice for a while, maybe he could convince people to go there. Or maybe my spare missionary could establish a mission or religious settlement.

Eruth

First Lieutenant
37 Badges
May 27, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
Why do we need colonists, anyway? Why can't I send a merchant instead, he's just sitting his behind in a trade node most of the game, he could definitely contribute more.

Also diplomats. Sometimes I have a free one I could sacrifice for a while, maybe he could convince people to go there. Or maybe my spare missionary could establish a mission or religious settlement.
It's because pre 1.3 anyone could charter a company and so you got awful set ups where fifty different random nations had single provinces along a stretch of Indian or African coastline, so the devs made it so that only nations with colonists could charter companies to prevent every European OPM from grabbing a piece of Gujarat.

• 2Like
Reactions: