• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DarthCappuccino

Retired Thread Necromancer
106 Badges
Jun 30, 2013
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Sengoku
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Impire
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
Hey all, having trouble adding a custom character to the game. I've created a new .txt in ImperatorRome\game\setup\characters with the following info and also edited the 00_default file to add the family.

Code:
"KNO"={
    country="KNO"
    7000={
        first_name="FIRSTNAME"
        family = c:KNO.fam:LASTNAME
        birth_date=430.3.1
        death_date=530.8.1
        culture="cretan"
        religion="roman_pantheon"
        no_stats=yes
        add_martial=16
        add_charisma=16
        add_finesse=6
        add_zeal=12
        no_traits=yes
        c:KNO={
            set_as_ruler=char:7000
        }
        dna="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"
    }
}

So far the family has appeared in the game but not the character. Any heads up to where I'm going wrong?

One problem might be that you have omitted the character's First Name and Family Name.
Looking through all the other character files in the game they all have their names already predefined, either just as a "Key" or as a reference to a Family name in the 00_default.txt file's families.

The line ... c:KNO.fam: ... should then refer to a family name in \\game\setup\main\00_default.txt if you want the character to be a part of a predefined family.

You could check out \\game\setup\characters\00_ROM.txt, character number 1, Crassus, and similarly how the Claudii family is defined at \\game\setup\main\00_default.txt at line 1079.

Last edited:
Yeah, the guy does have a name but I changed it just to upload it to the forum. I'm not sure what you're saying about predefining names and keys. Either way, I've got a corresponding family in 00_default.txt and that family appears in game, this seems to just be a problem with the character setup.

I tried adding the same character as above in a vanilla installation of the game, the error.log at \\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Imperator\logs\ says "Character 7000 in country KNO should have id 340 or use create_character".

This I reckon is due to the unmodified game's list of characters ending at index 339. The next one then should be index 340. There can be no gaps it seems.

That's a good shout! I tried it earlier, but another entry came up in the error log like so

Code:
[17:19:13][lexer.cpp:314]: File 'setup/characters/00_KNO.txt' should be in utf8-bom encoding (will try to use it anyways)
[17:19:51][jomini_script_system.cpp:176]: Script system error!
  Error: set_as_ruler effect [ Target Character [CHARACTER] is not alive ]
  Script location: file: setup/characters/00_KNO.txt line: 20

I can fix the encoding thing, but why does it think the character is dead? His birth and death dates are on either side of the startdate? Any ideas?

Oh yeah! No other living characters have a death date in the files.

I've tried removing it and it works now - thanks for all the input dude!