• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
New Poll

Option 1: 4
Option 2: 0
Option 3: 6
Option 4: 2

Re: Mods. I typically don't use mods with a game I'm not comfortable with, which is why I haven't played KR for DH yet. That said, if there's any Paradox game I'm comfortable with, it's EU3. I think I'll give the gang a rest for now (except Death... I promise we'll do one exclusively with Death, maybe a CK2 one?), maybe use them again later.

Since 1 and 3 are dominating, which means ending the AAR, I'll take suggestions for future AARs. Any PDS game I own, excluding CK 1 (which I never play), is acceptable. (Supreme Ruler: Cold War is also off the table.) My personal level of skill, for those who care, is EU3 -> AHD -> CK2 -> FTM -> DH.

Last edited:
New Poll

Option 1: 4
Option 2: 0
Option 3: 6
Option 4: 2

Re: Mods. I typically don't use mods with a game I'm not comfortable with, which is why I haven't played KR for DH yet. That said, if there's any Paradox game I'm comfortable with, it's EU3. I think I'll give the gang a rest for now (except Death... I promise we'll do one exclusively with Death, maybe a CK2 one?), maybe use them again later.

Since 1 and 3 are dominating, which means ending the AAR, I'll take suggestions for future AARs. Any PDS game I own, excluding CK 1 (which I never play), is acceptable. (Supreme Ruler: Cold War is also off the table.) My personal level skill, for those who care, is EU3 -> AHD -> CK2 -> FTM -> DH.

Under these conditions I would like to see a 1337 Armenia/Cyprus/Turkish minor OR Latin Empire CK2 AAR of yours.

That's not a bad idea; I've had mixed success with playing CK2 in the early game, but it might be very different later on.

For those submitting suggestions, if you haven't voted on the fate of this AAR, please do so. I'll take the best suggestions and put them in a second and final poll.

Oh, and one more thing: if you suggest an HOI3 or CK2 AAR, you'll have to wait until their expansions come out for me to start it. Shorter AARs, like the one Athalcor just mentioned, would probably be fine. I'm more worried about CK2 than HOI3, since I can't get the expansion until We, the People is finished anyway.

My preferences:

1936 Japan DH AAR
1861 CSA V2 AAR (AHD)
Latin Empire start (1214, CK2)

Moroccoooooo

1659 in EU3, particularly northern Europe, would make for a good AAR; Sweden and England are good choices (one's at its territorial peak, the other's a republic).

That said, I would very much like to see a Turkish 14th-century CK2 AAR.

Under these conditions I would like to see a 1337 Armenia/Cyprus/Turkish minor OR Latin Empire CK2 AAR of yours.

Hmm... interesting choices.

My preferences:

1936 Japan DH AAR
1861 CSA V2 AAR (AHD)
Latin Empire start (1214, CK2)

I vote the CSA in Victoria 2 (A house divided)
Start date: 1861

CSA would probably be ugly, but why not? Just because my test game went horrificially wrong doesn't mean the actual AAR will, right?

Right?

Moroccoooooo

Which game?

1659 in EU3, particularly northern Europe, would make for a good AAR; Sweden and England are good choices (one's at its territorial peak, the other's a republic).

That said, I would very much like to see a Turkish 14th-century CK2 AAR.

I don't have Sword of Islam, so Turkey is right out, but the other suggestions are good!

You could go crazy and do a mega-campaign.

In my heart of hearts, I would love to do one of these. The thing is, I've never finished a game of CK2. Still, if you have a good country in mind, I'll listen to the suggestion.

We'll do a runoff for the end of the AAR; those of you that chose choice #2 can either vote for #1 (End now) or #3 (Hands off).

I'll set up the poll for the next AAR as soon as I get more suggestions; keep 'em coming!

I would be fascinated to see a mega campaign from CKII starting in Ethiopia. One of the Monophysite dynasties, I'm not picky. Or perhaps starting with that Nestorian Mongol. :)

Personally, I'd love to see a Nubian AAR. It would be fun to see what a good writer would do with a powerful African nation in EU3 and Victoria.

Does Nubia exist in EU3? I don't play in Africa much, so I don't actually know.

I'd like to see a megacampaign, but I understand why you might not want to. perhaps if you started CK2 in a later start date? I don't really care what you do though. I'll follow it.

A megacampaign might be fun; maybe after LoR?

I would be fascinated to see a mega campaign from CKII starting in Ethiopia. One of the Monophysite dynasties, I'm not picky. Or perhaps starting with that Nestorian Mongol. :)

I try not to duplicate existing AARs, especially when we have one as excellent as "In the Shadow of Certain, Painful Doom." That Mongol idea, if that's a legitimate suggestion, could have some wings to it. (Although I don't have SOI.)

I'd reccomend a collaborative AAR in a style lke this AAR with a story and point calculation.For that I'd recomend EU3

That's an innovative idea; I'm not sure how the mechanics would work, but it's something I'll consider.

Since most of you are recommending AAR topics at this point, I'm going to go ahead and declare Option 3 the winner; I'll run the game with handsoff, then do one final post with screenshots and the epic conclusion to this AAR!

Epilogue: The End! I mean it this time!

Chaos and Order sat and looked at the map of the world as of January 1, 1936.

So. It's over.

Yep. It's over, Odor.

Order made a face. I wish you'd stop calling me that.

Have it your way, Loser McLoserpants, Emperor of Losertown!

Order sighed. Bart, when can Chaos collect his prize and blow us into oblivion?

Bart stopped polished a glass long enough to say, "Soon", and then resumed.

The bar sure is quiet!

Yes, well, nobody is thrilled that you won. It's bad enough they're going to cease to exist; it's even worse hearing you gloat.

Chaos shrugged. Nobody said life was fair.

You have. Several times, in fact. You had a T-shirt made.

Chaos smiled in remembrance. That was a good shirt.

Death chose that moment to make his appearance. Afternoon, gentlemen. He looked at the map and whistled. You really did some conquering, Chaos.

Chaos preened, until Order interrupted. He beat the Mexicans. Big deal.

I don't see you beating the Mexicans.

Your mother!

Chaos hoisted his glass in acknowledgement of an artfully delivered zinger. Bart suddenly went stiff. A beeping sound was followed by the revelation of the Reality Bomb.

That's it?

"What did you expect?"

It's... a bomb. With "Bye bye, Reality!" written on the side.

"If it's not impressive enough for you, I could always dispose of it..."

Chaos examined the bomb with a critical eye. I guess it's okay. Can I have one last Chaos special for the road?

"I'll go start the boiling vat of glue."

Glue, remember. Not paste!

Bart cocked an eyebrow. "I know how to make a Chaos special."

Three days later, Chaos finished his drink. So... how do I make it go boom?

"You push the big red button on the side."

I knew that.

"Then why did you ask?"

Shut up! Chaos reached for the button, with deliberate glee in his eyes. Right before he hit the button, a strange look crossed his face. It was... restraint. I'm not sure I want to do this.

Time itself seemed to stop.

After a few minutes, Bart threw Time out of the bar for drinking too much.

A few minutes after that, everybody considered what Chaos had said.

You have got to be kidding. I've been miserable this entire time, and the only thing I had to look forward to was seeing you annihilated. Now you're going take that from me?

Chaos looked at Order with some alarm. Uh... easy, buddy.

No! I've had it! I've done everything the right way this whole time, with you making your snide comments and awful puns, and you get lucky dice rolls and declare yourself the winner?!

Well, yeah, pretty much. That's kind of my thing, if you hadn't noticed.

Order's eyes lit with a feral glint. It won't be for too much longer!

Wait! You can't do this!

Can't I? Wouldn't nothingness be the absolute perfect state of Order? Forever stagnant, never changing, completely uniform.

Uh, Death, can he do this?

Hmm? Yeah, probably. I mean, a child could push the button. It's not like there's any kind of security.

Order's finger reached out as he stabbed the button like a jilted husband plunging a knife into his cheating wife's heart, provided the heart -- and the wife -- exploded and eliminated reality.

Or at least, that's what was supposed to happen.

When nothing happened for a while, Order did what any thinking person would do: he kept pressing the button until something happened. (I do this around elevators.) Then, finally, something did happen. A tiny note fluttered to the ground. Order, with pure rage in his eyes, grabbed with an unholy fury and began to read.

Dear Chaos [It has to be Chaos, right? Order would never have detonated the bomb. No, it's Chaos.],

How did you like my elaborate plan for revenge? Was it convoluted enough for you? I hope it was. I hope you're drowning in a Chaos special right now. You promised me the mind wipe would be permanent. You promised me that I'd remember only what happened before I got hit by the bus. But you were wrong.

I completely forgot subsection 67-4328 of the tax code. My career came crashing to an end. Sure, my carefully invested 401k and bank account, from which I never withdrew any money, made me fabulously wealthy. Yes, I slept with dozens of beautiful women, produced hundreds of children, and eventually became Lord and Dictator of Planet Earth. I then marshaled my resources and founded a company that did one thing, and one thing only: built time traveling robots. Surely by now you've met Robo-Explorer Infinity + 1, who has only one function: to repeat subsection 67-4328 of the tax code, over and over again. I hope it drove you insane. It drove me insane!

Choke on your lies, you lying sack of chicken dung,

Sincerely yours,

Daniel D. Carlson.

P.S. Yes, my middle initial is D. It's short for Daniel Carlson.

Order began to cry.

THE END

That was a very random ending to the story in my view, but the AAR was awesome!

For a new AAR, how about EUIII with Death and Taxes mod? Play as an Indian minor (Hindu Please :)) I am playing with Madurai, and I wonder how you will be doing :)

I hope everybody got at least one laugh from this AAR; I know I did writing it. I had no idea Chaos would win so handily, but that's what makes it random, right? It's almost like Chaos and randomness were somehow... connected.

Anyway, while I welcome your comments/praise/curses upon my name, I'm going to list the possibilities for my next AAR below. I've culled them from your suggestions and a couple of my own. Please vote by letter and bold it.

CK2 AARs:
A. Latin Empire, 1214 start
B. Whenever the Hohenzollerns show up in CK2 (this is the Mega Campaign I'd most likely pursue)

EU3 AARs:
C. Forming the Netherlands with a Dutch minor (1399 start), dominating via trade (and occasional conquest); possible conversion into Vicky 2
D. Sweden in 1659; definite conversion into Vicky 2
E. Fighting the American Revolution in 1776; definite conversion into Vicky 2

Vicky 2 AARs:

F. CSA, 1861 start
G. Ethiopia, 1836 start

Darkest Hour AARs:
H. Germany, 1914 start
I. Russian Empire, 1914 start
J. Serbia, 1914 start

As stated earlier, HOI3 is off the table since TFH is coming soon, although I would probably include it in the potential mega campaign, if I did it. One final note on this: I will not do another comedy AAR. They're way too hard. I like being funny, and I'm not saying all of my AARs will be deadly serious, because that's boring. But it's really, really hard to be funny, all the time, on purpose, without offending people. So, gameplay/narratives will be the order of the day, depending on the subject/topic selected.

Anywho, vote, and share your comments!

That was a very random ending to the story in my view, but the AAR was awesome!

For a new AAR, how about EUIII with Death and Taxes mod? Play as an Indian minor (Hindu Please :)) I am playing with Madurai, and I wonder how you will be doing :)

We just missed each other, it seems. I think I'll skip mods -- for now -- but I do promise, at some point in the future, I will play with either KR for DH, MEIOU, or D&T.