• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, I've never dared write any kind of AAR, so I can't really judge from experience, but if it ain't fun for you to play*, then it ain't gonna be fun to write, and in that case it's better to formally shut things down and move on to greener pastures, rather than struggle along without enjoyment.

So, see you in Germany, just under 200 years later? :)

*I know there's the school of thought that says that writing about defeats can be more interesting than writing about yet another victory - I subscribe to that school, actually - but I think it's ill-suited to AGEOD games, where you can lose (without any real chance of recovery) absolute ages before the end of the scenario.

Well it was a good try. A game of ROP can really tank in the first 12 turns, especially if you are the Prussians which are on a thin line.

Well it was a good try. A game of ROP can really tank in the first 12 turns, especially if you are the Prussians which are on a thin line.

That is definately what I am learning! I was able to bounce back and at least make a game of it after bungling as Austria, but Prussia: not so much! I'm going to try again after I get better at the game, but I'm not there yet!

Well, I've never dared write any kind of AAR, so I can't really judge from experience, but if it ain't fun for you to play*, then it ain't gonna be fun to write, and in that case it's better to formally shut things down and move on to greener pastures, rather than struggle along without enjoyment.

So, see you in Germany, just under 200 years later? :)

*I know there's the school of thought that says that writing about defeats can be more interesting than writing about yet another victory - I subscribe to that school, actually - but I think it's ill-suited to AGEOD games, where you can lose (without any real chance of recovery) absolute ages before the end of the scenario.

I agree with that school of thought as well...a good defeat can be quite enjoyable (the AARs I consider my best are my Vicky1 Hawaii and my HOI Argentina, both of which were total exercises in futility)...if I was happier with how the story part of the AAR was panning out, I might have kept going just for that, but ehh...

(and it is worth noting that you have written an excellent mini-AAR about the single greatest Event in the CK1 Universe: Spymasters murdering the player!)

nope, think you were very brave to put up your first attempt with the game as an AAR.

From what I could see, I think you were being too passive, you need to disrupt the Austrians in 56 (not beat them but do some damage to Browne's army) and then try and put them under pressure in early spring 57, before the Wien reinforcements move up.

The real problem is if you feel you are really on the back foot, its an awful long game to play to its inevitable end ...

I know there is some controversy about this (ie some people who know what they are talking about disagree with me), but from experience with Narwhal and PBEM, if you are inflicting damage, then the Prussians have the cash to convert the conscript companies that result (a portion of your battle losses come back that way) back into units/RPs. The Austrians can never mobilise their potential manpower (even if they go the militia route), so in that sense you can end up mid-game with roughly parity of numbers and a much higher quality army.

That was the problem: I wasn't inflicting the damage, Schwerin got caught flat-footed and I was losing 2 for every 1 of his...slightly closer to 1 for 1 with Fred's armies. It was when the Swedes started winning battles handily I knew I was toast...my national morale was shot.

I think I fought too few battles in 56-Spring 57 and way too many in the summer of 57