Changes to Playing Previous Versions of PDS Titles

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How else will we know what games you have in order to show you their passwords?
Counterpoint: What does it matter? If I don't own the game, I cannot use the code to access a beta version anyway. I might be missing a technical aspect, but my understanding is that you are only concerned with consent to telemetry collection. Once I agree to your policy, couldn't you just show me the list of all codes without any downside for PDX?

I can see the lists of owned games in Paradox accounts, and it only lists Paradox games.
I can see you are linked successfully and all your Steam games are listed in your account's Ownership, including EU4.
Thank you for the clarification. Your previous post sounded like you could see all Steam games as well (how else would you have known that "all [their] Steam games" were successfully linked).

So many people upset over data telemetry regarding the game they play. Let me just facedesk right now. *bam* There literally is personal in the data being taken that can be lead directly back to you outside what is already needed to set up a multiplayer game. They don't care that Bob plays version "so-so", they care that someone plays version "so-so". Not to mention there's far more violating information gathering merely from visiting everyday websites.

It amazes me how little people realize that no one who collects information like this really cares about getting personally identifying info, they want statistics.
Counterpoint 1: "But X does something even worse than Y" does not mean we shouldn't care what Y does. This happens to be a forum about Y, so of course we're talking about what Y does. Just for argument's sake: Yes, there are many many companies out there that collect much more intrusive data. So what?
Counterpint 2: You have fundamentally misunderstood the GDPR framework. For the GDPR to even apply, according to Art 2(1) PDX has to process "personal data". Under Art 4(1) this means "any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person". So if PDX were to wholly deal in aggregate statistics and leave out any personal identifiers, they would only be handling anonymized data, which wouldn't even fall under the scope of GDPR and hence require no consent. In making this huge deal about GDPR complicance, PDX is tacitly admitting that they don't do that. Sure, the end goal may or may not be a broad statistical overview, but either they are unable or unwilling to do it in a truly anonymized way.
Counterpoint 3: Only thinking about the end goal of data collection in an ideal world is a bit short-sighted. Data gets lost (on an old harddrive), stolen, mishandled (sold by a disgruntled employee), company ownership and policies may change, etc. Part of the GDPR's focus is making companies really think about what kinds of data they collect, whether this data is really necessary and in what way it is collected and stored to mitigate long-term risks. In this light I don't find your argument very compelling.

Can I please just point out that this is not in line with Article 7 (4) of the GDPR at all?

In order to be able to continue to use Paradox’s games I have to agree to game telemetry being transferred over? That should be entirely consent based and considering I’ve already purchased the products in question it shouldn’t

Can we please have a complete breakdown of the data that is being transferred to Paradox.

At the end of the day, I should be able to refuse your collecting that kind of telemetry because it simply isn’t freely given consent. And that of course applies to the previous versions of the titles. They either need to have that capacity switched off, patched or as much as I hate to say it removed if its truly such a crucial component.
I completely agree with all your points and I still have some hopes that the current version will allow an opt-out in line with the "freely given" consent requirement. But I do have to cut PDX at least some slack for their historical versions. Patching an opt-out into every single version would be a huge undertaking (and likely change the checksum, which would make saves incompatible, ruining the whole point). At least for access to historical versions I kind of understand the move to say "agree to the collection or you can't play", although as I have pointed out earlier, there are likely to be somewhat easy technical solutions to stop the collection server-side, that PDX should have looked into. Thankfully you as the user can always take technical steps to block EU4 from phoning home, so simply agreeing to their policy is not equal to letting PDX have their way.

Last edited:
Hey,

Couple of things,

1. The game uses two pieces of personal information, your SteamID and IP Address. Some of our games use ad tracking software called Buffpanel, but we're in the process of removing that (might've already been removed, I don't keep an eye on everything). We're also investigating how to minimise what personal data we use across the board, though it is difficult to see how we can avoid using the SteamID.

2. Turning off data collection isn't sufficient, we checked.

Hey,

Couple of things,

1. The game uses two pieces of personal information, your SteamID and IP Address. Some of our games use ad tracking software called Buffpanel, but we're in the process of removing that (might've already been removed, I don't keep an eye on everything). We're also investigating how to minimise what personal data we use across the board, though it is difficult to see how we can avoid using the SteamID.

2. Turning off data collection isn't sufficient, we checked.
Interesting. Thank you very much for the insight! This is very helpful.

There are some features of EU4 I've never used (PDX account, Leaderboards, Cloud Saves) where I can totally see the need to process an identifier, now that I think about it, assuming some of those features run on PDX's own servers.

In any way, good that the company tries to minmize use of personal data! It is very much appreciated!

at which Hour is it in place? We are 1st october and I'm still playing as previously...
I'd expect sometime in the afternoon, i.e. around now or in the next few hours.

I can see the codes so should be soon if not already(can't check atm)
Nothing for me so far. So either roll-out is staggered or you actually need to have your Steam account linked (boo, hiss!). Here's hoping for the former *crosses fingers*!
Untitled.jpg

I posted that in another thread but still not sure it wouldn't be better answered here :
If i'm playing an older version 1.26.1 at the time the update comes , do I risk something for my savegame? I intend to finish my game but I'm worried due to that GPRD update. Not the update itself, but by the fact that I would be playing when the game is legally updated.

Well, I have 1.27, I have the codes.
But I don't need them. I can use any old version (specifically 1.11.4 and 1.16.3) without entering the code. Just like before.
Probably not WAD.

Great, all my save games are corrupted now.

The problem is, when you release a new patch, I need to pay additional money to play the game as intended, because a lot of critical game mechanics are available only after buying new DLC. So if I don't want to buy the new DLC, I have an option to play an older patch. So I've bought the game and a lot of DLCs already, but even though I've spent upwards of 100 euro on the game I didn't unlock everything, so I played 1.22, and before that - other patches. And now all my save games are gone, including the active campaign.

Are passwords/codes available now?

Cannot seem to find them, under
Your Games.

Are the available under Manage for each applicable game?

Step 1) Log in
Step 2) Go here https://accounts.paradoxplaza.com/games
Step 3 ) SCROLL DOWN
Step 4) Find "Access Earlier Versions"
Step 5) Click "Show"

Each game you own on Paradox that is relevant will have a code associated with it. Input that code into the BETAS tab in Steam. Then you will have access to all previous versions as you did before

Each game you own on Paradox that is relevant will have a code associated with it. Input that code into the BETAS tab in Steam. Then you will have access to all previous versions as you did before

Actually, you seem to have codes for games you don't own too. I don't own HoIIV, but have a code (same for Battletech).

Help...

I have followed all of the steps as described...I think. I entered the EU4 code and hit the check code button. It only showed me one earlier version 1.9.2 and not the 1.26.1 that I need.

Help...

I have followed all of the steps as described...I think. I entered the EU4 code and hit the check code button. It only showed me one earlier version 1.9.2 and not the 1.26.1 that I need.

Sounds like the code didn't take. Ensure you dont have any leading or trailing white spaces. The code input is senstive to that.

Its also case sensitive too.

The problem is, when you release a new patch, I need to pay additional money to play the game as intended, because a lot of critical game mechanics are available only after buying new DLC.
Not true. I play 2.8.2 without Jade Dragon quite felicitously. Same can be said about other versions (Sunset Invasion gets locked out most it seems).