Changes to Playing Previous Versions of PDS Titles

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That actually is a very good question since if somebody obtains the password that way then I don't think PI fulfills the law to gather that person's data. Though I'm not a lawyer, so I could be wrong. But give you need to have a clear consent, afaik, then somebody obtaining the pass from a pastebin would bring PI into trouble as they wouldn't have clear consent from that man.
not a lawyer, but bypassing the way to get the password doesn't negate using the password as consent.

Reactions:
they try to get away with this. i'm not sure if you can get away with this, but you are basicaly stealing the password at this point , so ....
Considering the things which were mentioned when the GDPR came into force then I'm doubtful it'd stick, especially if the steam tab doesn't specifically tell why you need a password, since then they can always feign ignorance. Plus either way PI wouldn't have an explicit consent, but more an implicit one, if any at all, and the law is clear that it needs to be implicit and not something like "if you continue using this service then we assume you agree".
Though I'm not a lawyer, so I could have misunderstood things, but that was how they came across back when it was implemented.

not a lawyer, but bypassing the way to get the password doesn't negate using the password as consent.
Could be. I don't know.

It legally requires vendors to inform customers of data collection. Game versions from before that popup was included do not do that. The choice was to update every old version of every game with the popup, or put them behind the password wall which in turn shows that popup.
Thank you! It makes a whole lot more sense to me now.

Considering the things which were mentioned when the GDPR came into force then I'm doubtful it'd stick, especially if the steam tab doesn't specifically tell why you need a password, since then they can always feign ignorance. Plus either way PI wouldn't have an explicit consent, but more an implicit one, if any at all, and the law is clear that it needs to be implicit and not something like "if you continue using this service then we assume you agree".
Though I'm not a lawyer, so I could have misunderstood things, but that was how they came across back when it was implemented.

Well, i don't think they are responsible for ppl that steal from them , and end up giving some of theyr information with no consent . its like a robber that leave a print mark on a glass, and denunce you because you took personal info from him without he's consent :p

Can I use this to complete old Ironman games? I was so close to getting Luck of the Irish in the England update but I put it on Dharma to play MP with friends and now I'm worried I can't go back to finish my achievement run

Well, i don't think they are responsible for ppl that steal from them , and end up giving some of theyr information with no consent . its like a robber that leave a print mark on a glass, and denunce you because you took personal info from him without he's consent :p
Except they woudln't be stealing from them. They have purchased the game and hence aren't thieves. And unless it's explained on the steam page it's perfectly possible that they won't even know why the password is needed.
And regarding robbers, then people IRL have gotten in trouble here in Scandinavia for using e.g. security cam footage of robbers robbing their store while they themselves were at gunpoint at the till. And that was before the GDPR, so assuming that I understood things correctly and you need an explicit consent I don't think the excuse "they "stole" the content" works.
Though again, IANAL.

Can I use this to complete old Ironman games? I was so close to getting Luck of the Irish in the England update but I put it on Dharma to play MP with friends and now I'm worried I can't go back to finish my achievement run
It hasn't happened yet. 1 Oct is inception date.

You can go back to old versions now with no problem. After Oct 1 you can do so too, you'll just need to supply a password first which you will get from your My Games page.

lmao this thread really makes it obvious how America got the way it is.

A change is being made to comply with a regulation that says "inform your customers what data you're collecting on them", one that requires very little to no effort on the part of pretty much anyone here and all people can do is whine and cry about it like it's the end of the universe because they have to collect a password (or they don't, they don't actually have to do anything but they MIGHT have to collect a password if they want to do a thing they're probably not going to do). JFC.

Let me blow your mind with the revelation of the millennium: People don't like change, especially change that inconveniences them. It doesn't matter what that change is, it could be they get a free thousand euros if they don't eat junk for a week, a net positive in every way, they'd still complain; "Why do I have to stop eating my favorite junk just to get the money?" and all that. Not to mention anyone with a working brain shouldn't like having a massive, inter-connected web of accounts, it gives people way too much information about you. What's next, they need my twitter handle, too?

@TinyWiking , this will create a slew of problems for big mods which take time to adapt to new versions of the games...

lmao this thread really makes it obvious how America got the way it is.

A change is being made to comply with a regulation that says "inform your customers what data you're collecting on them", one that requires very little to no effort on the part of pretty much anyone here and all people can do is whine and cry about it like it's the end of the universe because they have to collect a password (or they don't, they don't actually have to do anything but they MIGHT have to collect a password if they want to do a thing they're probably not going to do). JFC.
As an American, I can say that most of the problem seems to be that this is one of the few times a foreign country's policy has directly effected most individuals here and caused them to have to change things. Not saying it's a bad thing. I personally approve of (most of) the GDPR. I'm just saying, our country has a pretty strong culture of regarding any outside interference into how we conduct our business as tyranny. Which is slightly ironic, considering the amount of outside influencing we do to everyone else. *cough* We'll come around, in our own way eventually.

That aside, I think Paradox did an excellent job in complying with both the law, and giving people options still. They were in a tough spot, but stayed flexible for their fans, and that's why Paradox is one of the best companies in the game industry. Some other companies would've just cut off old patch versions entirely, and EA wouldn't have ever let you have the old patch versions in the first place. Paradox seems to be one of the most...soul-filled companies so far. I, for one, appreciate it.

TL;DR: Please give us poor Americans some time to adjust, and realize that not all of us are nightmarish reactionaries. And good work, Paradox.

As an American, I can say that most of the problem seems to be that this is one of the few times a foreign country's policy has directly effected most individuals here and caused them to have to change things. Not saying it's a bad thing. I personally approve of (most of) the GDPR. I'm just saying, our country has a pretty strong culture of regarding any outside interference into how we conduct our business as tyranny. Which is slightly ironic, considering the amount of outside influencing we do to everyone else. *cough* We'll come around, in our own way eventually.

That aside, I think Paradox did an excellent job in complying with both the law, and giving people options still. They were in a tough spot, but stayed flexible for their fans, and that's why Paradox is one of the best companies in the game industry. Some other companies would've just cut off old patch versions entirely, and EA wouldn't have ever let you have the old patch versions in the first place. Paradox seems to be one of the most...soul-filled companies so far. I, for one, appreciate it.

TL;DR: Please give us poor Americans some time to adjust, and realize that not all of us are nightmarish reactionaries. And good work, Paradox.
Some of my best friends are american.

But seriously, I didn't intend to imply "all americans are X", even going by your explanation, it still fits with what I said and helps explain why the US is currently the way it is. I believe you're leaving out a key point about why your culture views things this way but it doesn't really matter to the point as I said and I'm not sure this is the place for discussion of american culture.

I'm just saying, our country has a pretty strong culture of regarding any outside interference into how we conduct our business as tyranny.
Yeah it's very ironic given how often non Americans have had to change behaviour due to not US rules forcing the rest of the world to change, especially on the internet, but also for other things. E.g. airport security. :D

Please give us poor Americans some time to adjust
That'd be a huge liability for PI. This was passed in spring of 2016 and there then was given 2 years of time to adjust, which ended in late May this year. Hence PI actually has been breaking the law for the past 4 months and the longer they wait with doing this the higher risk of them being made an example of.

Previously you were able to revert back to earlier versions of Paradox Development Studios (PDS) games at will on Steam. These specific versions predate the enactment of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - hence they are not compliant with the new policy.

In order to continue our endeavor to reach full GDPR compliance, we have designed a new system regarding the access to earlier versions of PDS titles: from the 1st of October 2018 onward all previous versions of PDS titles will be locked under a Steam password.

After 1st October, you will need to log into the Paradox Plaza website with your Paradox Account to access the codes for previous branches of each game that you own. This will, however, require you to link your Steam account to your Paradox Account. In an effort to comply with the GDPR, this is something we need to put behind the Paradox logins as it requires agreement to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use to adhere to the GDPR guidelines.

To get the codes for previous versions:
  1. Go to https://accounts.paradoxplaza.com/games and log in (or create) your Paradox Account.
  2. You will have to link your Steam and Paradox accounts to see your games - where your codes will be listed.
  3. To link your Steam and Paradox Accounts: simply go to the Settings tab. Under Steam account click connect (you will then be redirected to Steam to confirm your action).
  4. With that done the Games tab on Paradox Plaza will show the list of codes needed to revert to previous versions.
  5. See below to revert to older versions under passlock.

How to switch to old branch versions:
  1. Go to your Steam Library and select your game of choice.
  2. Right-click and select Properties.
  3. Under the “BETAS” tab.
  4. Enter the relevant code retrieved from Paradox Plaza and click “CHECK CODE”.
  5. Select the version you wish to play and wait for Steam launcher to finalize the switch.
  6. If the previous step fails, exit the game, right click properties, local files, Verify integrity of game files and wait for all files to be verified.

FAQ

Steam automatically updated my PDS game to the latest version, why?
On 1st of October, to ensure compliance with the GDPR as well as with the new rules regarding the possibility to revert back to a previous patch version, we had to update your game to its latest version.

What if I do not have a Paradox Account?
You need to have a Paradox Account to access previous versions of PDS games. It is currently the only way for us to be GDPR compliant.

My friend gave me a code to access an older version of the game, can I use it?
Yes, but please understand that by using the code you agree with our Privacy Policy and understand what it means.

Does it only apply to versions predating the GDPR changes? Those from now on, will be available via Steam normally?
Yes.

I am confused about the GDPR, where can I read more information on the subject?
You can read more information regarding the GDPR on our Privacy Policy page.

I play EU4 on v1.12.2 since 2015 and don't want to be unnecessarily bothered with this. Would turning Steam Offline, prevent Steam from automatically updating the games to the latest version?

Like everyone else I tried linking my Steam account and like everyone else IT DIDN'T EFFING WORK.
I then spent a few hours digging on the internet and I found that this is not a new problem, people have been complaining about various broken or buggy issues with it since at least 2016.
Anyone know of a way to bypass Steam and just run the exe so we don't have to put up with this nonsense? I DO NOT WANT to update the game, I just want to play my game. When they nerfed the hell out of missionaries and culture conversion in 1.26 that was the end of updating for me but now I will have to jump through some broken hoops and hope they work just so i can finish my existing game.
The kicker is that I'm not even in the EU so their rules shouldn't apply to me, yet this craptastic change is being forced one me anyways.
Looks like I'll be forever in offline mode from now on.

I have bought my game on steam ( EU4 and HOI4 ) but in the games page of paradox I havent got any code. Why dont I have my codes ? Do I have to wait until 1st of October?

You can go back to old versions now with no problem. After Oct 1 you can do so too, you'll just need to supply a password first which you will get from your My Games page.

The failure of the My Games page to list your owned games is nothing to do with this, and will not impact it at all. The password list will be on that page but is otherwise unrelated to it.

Like everyone else I tried linking my Steam account and like everyone else IT DIDN'T EFFING WORK.
I then spent a few hours digging on the internet and I found that this is not a new problem, people have been complaining about various broken or buggy issues with it since at least 2016.
Anyone know of a way to bypass Steam and just run the exe so we don't have to put up with this nonsense? I DO NOT WANT to update the game, I just want to play my game. When they nerfed the hell out of missionaries and culture conversion in 1.26 that was the end of updating for me but now I will have to jump through some broken hoops and hope they work just so i can finish my existing game.
The kicker is that I'm not even in the EU so their rules shouldn't apply to me, yet this craptastic change is being forced one me anyways.
Looks like I'll be forever in offline mode from now on.

The failure of the My Games page to list your owned games is nothing to do with this, and will not impact it at all. The password list will be on that page but is otherwise unrelated to it.

I play EU4 on v1.12.2 since 2015 and don't want to be unnecessarily bothered with this. Would turning Steam Offline, prevent Steam from automatically updating the games to the latest version?
Yes, but you can't leave it like that forever - Steam needs to 'phone home' occasionally to authenticate game and DLC ownership.

But the 'bother' you refer to is putting in one password once. Is that really such a big deal?