Changes to Playing Previous Versions of PDS Titles

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Synced games sometimes take time to show up people :D They'll take anywhere between an hour to a day so relax.

Nah, it's known and acknowledged that the Games window is bugged and not all games are showing.
At least going by what i read in several threads in the Forum Help subforum, at least the "Connect with.." thread.

That means it gets fixed or Paradox will go *shrug* and go on ignore mode.

Suspense or tension ? *drumroll*

Last edited:
Amazing move Paradox. You could easily have gone the easy route of just removing this functionality and pointing towards GDPR. Shows your dedication to your community to do this the right way.

Nah, it's known and acknowledged that the Games window is bugged and not all games are showing.
At least going by what i read in several threads in the Forum Help subforum, at least the "Connect with.." thread.

Yeah. They take that long to show up because it's bugged. (This is what I read please take it with a pinch of glorious Theodoran salt)

Can we maybe get a list of the oldest GDPR-compliant versions of games so we know what to expect from which of our old versions? (will v2 be updated to have a GDPR-compliant... thingy?) :p

I still don't see how the GDPR has literally anything to do with previous iterations of the games.
If I understand it aright, it is because when you play the earlier versions of the game you don't get a pop-up asking you to agree to their game telemetry. Part of GDPR is that organisations have to ask for explicit permission for this sort of thing, which the GDPR pop-up satisfies.

Rather than patching every old version of their games with this - and there alot of old versions to patch - this sounds like a relatively easy workaround. Though the Game page bug is a bit annoying, and I don't doubt their support has the potentially to become mildly clogged up as a consequence.

RodDel (or any other Paradox employee), please explain how this new policy is in accordance with GDPR Article 7(4):

When assessing whether consent is freely given, utmost account shall be taken of whether, inter alia, the performance of a contract, including the provision of a service, is conditional on consent to the processing of personal data that is not necessary for the performance of that contract.

I cannot see any way in which processing of gameplay telemetry is necessary for older versions of the game, since they by definition no longer get updated and therefore receive no benefit from gameplay tracking. Since the tracking of this personal data is not necessary for the functioning of older versions of the game, it is in violation of GDPR to require that players consent to it and therefore any consent given is invalid.

Yes it is definitely buggy. Numerous titles in my account have been missing for a long time now. I haven’t had much of a reason to worry about this until now.

Assuming they’re now going to look into it given that they’re trying to do the right thing to achieve compliance. This could end up taking a lot more effort to fix than you’d think.

Last edited:
Ditto.

If I can't get my games sinked so I can revert back to older versions then Paradox's games (EU4, CK2, and CS) become pretty much obsolete to me. I would feel that I should be entitled a refund as these terms and conditions aren't what they were when I purchased these games.

Furthermore, things like this are deterring me from ever wanting to purchase any game that requires an internet connection just to play said game. The headache isn't worth the cost.
You can't get them before the 1st of October.
Furthermore, you don't require an *active* internet connection -- it is a one time thing.
Edit: Regarding "Terms and Conditions" -- they have not changed much. Game data was collected before as well -- heck, there were even DDs publishing the results from time to time [I found them interesting].

I cannot see any way in which processing of gameplay telemetry is necessary for older versions of the game, since they by definition no longer get updated and therefore receive no benefit from gameplay tracking. Since the tracking of this personal data is not necessary for the functioning of older versions of the game, it is in violation of GDPR to require that players consent to it and therefore any consent given is invalid.
While the telemetry may not be processed it is *still* being sent.
Removing this function or even adding the GDPR pop-up would require too much man-hours [hours * each single revision] so they opted for an easier and cheaper solution.
It may not seem the best one, but it sure is faster.

Last edited:
While the telemetry may not be processed it is *still* being sent.
Removing this function would require too much man-hours [hours * each single revision] so they opted for an easier and cheaper solution.
It may not seem the best one, but it sure is faster.

I think you misunderstood my post. I know they opted for the easier and cheaper solution. I was saying I don't think it's a solution at all because it is still in violation of GDPR.

I think you misunderstood my post. I know they opted for the easier and cheaper solution. I was saying I don't think it's a solution at all because it is still in violation of GDPR.
The GDPR states the user needs to be made actively aware of it which did not happen before -- and we all know 98% of users don't read EULAs.
I amended my original reply with a clarification.

Hopefully the games tab works as advertised on Oct 1. I think it's interesting to look back at how the game has changed.
Also as someone who picked up EU4 on the recent 75% off sale, I'm thinking it might be easier to learn the basics of the game on an earlier version when there weren't so many things happening and slowly work my way up maybe.

If anyone knows exactly what version will be affected, please tell me the version number especially about EU4 v1.25.
Because I administer a web site to convert domestic gamers to EU4 in Japan, I critically want to know if I need to change the introduction of the game before Oct 1.

Why is this needed though? Would someone explain the regulation to me?

The Games tab on PDPlaza only lists two Stellaris items and EUIII for me. Vic 2 is the only old version I play because PDM is not compatible with 3.04. Any ideas on how to fix this?
And I just realized that the games tab doesn't even show any info when I hit "manage".