Changes to Playing Previous Versions of PDS Titles

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As someone who does not live in Europe I so hate having to adjust the way I interact with a company due to what the EU does.

As someone who does not live in Europe I so hate having to adjust the way I interact with a company due to what the EU does.

I prefer attempts, even if not perfect by far, at data protection to no protection at all, thank you.

And..
"As someone who does not live in the USA I so hate having to adjust the way I interact with a company due to what the USA does."
You're welcome.

In short, i would welcome it, if we wouldn't make this thread about politics and international relations.
That's what the OT forum is for.

But presumably all new (GDPR-compliant) versions from this point onwards will become available as previous versions on steam without the password protection?

Does it only apply to versions predating the GDPR changes? Those from now on, will be available via Steam normally?
Yes.

1. You will have to link your Steam and Paradox accounts to see your games - where your codes will be listed.
Hate to be that guy, but... does this mean the game section of our Paradox accounts are getting fixed ? :oops:

Last edited:
Hmm... I can't say I'm convinced that copypasting a uniform privacy policy into all available builds should take that much time, even if it's boring "busywork" that would surely still consume hours if not days. How many are we talking about, actually? Hundreds? certainly not "millions" .. e.g. Stellaris currently has 12 from before GDPR became legally binding -- and that's assuming PDX actually waited until the last day to update their privacy policies, rather than doing so sometime after May 2016 when its provisions were first announced, with a two-year period for companies to prepare.

But this solution is of course still a lot faster for the developer, and certainly better than just removing older builds outright. Thanks for the heads-up!

Sorry to be so negative. [The EU] was sold to us as a "free trade zone". Now its developed into this bureaucratic behemoth that wants to meddle in EVERYTHING. First, it was that ridiculous "this page uses cookies pop-ups", then GDPR which gives big corporations a huge advantage over small companies and now article 13.
If people had known what the EC would become no-one would have voted to join.
No, it wasn't. You're referring to the EEC, a precursor organisation. The EU was established by the Treaty of Lisbon decades later, and ratified by directly and democratically elected representatives from all original Member States aka the European Parliament. Further integration, including legal consolidation or the adoption of the Charter of Fundamental Rights, have been key points from the beginning.

Looking at my email inbox or the newly acquired control I have over how corporations use my personal data, I think GDPR is quite cool.

I would recommend you read up on the publicly available documents explaining both the history of the EU as well as the intricacies of its regulations. For example, GDPR includes specific exceptions for small companies, and corporations with bigger revenue have more to lose in terms of fines. Even Article 13 isn't quite as scary as the Google/megacorp-funded #saveyourinternet campaign wants you to believe. If GDPR was benefiting big corporations, they would not have lobbied so hard against it. As a general rule, whenever Facebook or Google are lobbying against something, you'd want to take a good, long look at who would benefit from said policy, and who stand to lose something.

Funny how a law to protect your private data forces you in the end to open a new account elsewhere and sync it with another.

The shiny world of european bureaucracy.

Funny how a law to protect your private data forces you in the end to open a new account elsewhere and sync it with another.

The shiny world of european bureaucracy.
As far as I understand it, it's supposed to make companies more transparent in what data they collect and how they use it, not make them collect less data.

I dont even live in Europe or 'Merica, and i have to deal with these two zones %$#$%!.

Like in pokemon, when they removed the game corner becase it offended the euro-sensibilities :(

Hmm... I can't say I'm convinced that copypasting a uniform privacy policy into all available builds should take that much time, even if it's boring "busywork" that would surely still consume hours if not days. How many are we talking about, actually? Hundreds? certainly not "millions" .. e.g. Stellaris currently has 12 from before GDPR became legally binding

At a guess, updating each version would take a day at least, what with updating a development machine to the appropriate version of the code base, making the change, making the build, and (the big time sink) QA running a quick test to make sure nothing broke. We're talking multiple man-months to cover all the currently available old versions of various games, assuming everything works.

That's not taking into account the possibility that some of those old code bases may not actually be easily buildable anymore because the machines themselves have changed in the years since, say, EU4 version 1.5, with new versions of third-party libraries, operating system updates, compiler upgrades, and so on. Perhaps in some software companies, where updates to years-old code branches are expected because of support contracts and such, a lot of this might be planned for and it might be relatively easy. I don't think video game companies generally worry about that sort of thing.

I had actually suggested we just remove all the old versions, but a few people in PDS rebelled and came up with this solution instead. ;)
....I think half the community would have rebelled actually. It would have been more controversial than the EU4 Missionary Changes Cry-Fest, the Great Stellaris Hyperdrive Controversy and the Imperator Single Consul Fiasco :p

Just to be clear this affects all regions. Europe or not.

Just to say, same as a lot of people I can't see my games on Paradox even after synching with Steam (and again it is showing items as forum tags but not on paradox account settings game tab). Sorry if I'm being dense and missing something but is there away around this to get a key to use?

Just to say, same as a lot of people I can't see my games on Paradox even after synching with Steam (and again it is showing items as forum tags but not on paradox account settings game tab). Sorry if I'm being dense and missing something but is there away around this to get a key to use?

Ditto.

If I can't get my games sinked so I can revert back to older versions then Paradox's games (EU4, CK2, and CS) become pretty much obsolete to me. I would feel that I should be entitled a refund as these terms and conditions aren't what they were when I purchased these games.

Furthermore, things like this are deterring me from ever wanting to purchase any game that requires an internet connection just to play said game. The headache isn't worth the cost.

I have to say I am finding it fascinating how GDPR is slowly impacting "stuff".

Thank you for the heads-up.

You're lucky. You have at least some games shows. I have a Steam account, link it with Paradox Plaza account, and... nothing. In the "Games" tab - no games or add-ons. Although you have Stellaris, but I do not.

The only thing that Paradox synced from from Steam account was the CK2 South Indian Portraits. :confused: