Changelog for Patch #5 - January 31st

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Shams

Corporate Paladin
70 Badges
Nov 9, 2009
  • 500k Club
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Prison Architect
  • Rome Gold
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Lead and Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Impire
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • King Arthur II
(Follow www.twitter.com/magickagame for up to date info - remember that devs/publisher are in Sweden - Central European Time)

Big patch delivered to steam! Waiting for them to push button.

Thank YOU for being patient with the game!

As we've released new patches we're seeing much fewer reports of the game malfunctioning. More and more players are reporting that the game is working nicely for them. We're also noticing that the problems that exist are A) known and being worked on and B) centered around fewer different things.

As a result we will be opening up a new "Known issues - report your bugs here" thread so we can all get a better overview of existing issues. We'll keep patching the game for the problems you report there that we actually can fix (some problems are not fixable on our end - like people playing with computers with lower specs than the minimum requirements.

Also, there are so many of you posting now that we're having a hard time keeping up. Tweet us if you want to be sure that your message gets through.

Changelog for Patch #5 (1.3.3.4)- January 31st
Fixed issues/bugs

• Fixed save games disappearing when disconnecting from online game. (For real this time)
  • Fixed crash for alternative character models appearing in cutscenes. (Chapter 7, Chapter 12).
  • Fixed crash caused by conjuring large quantities of elements.
  • Fixed crash due to beams merging.
  • Fixed crash where Chapter 11 boss collided with shield.
  • Fixed crash where Clients and servers would send old messages when reconnecting.
  • Fixed high-end machine jitter.
  • Improved network batching. (should result in serious network performance increase).
  • Improved startup routine to prevent threading problems.
  • Improved authentification on connect. (should result in fewer auth-failed)
  • Fixed a missing file that resulted in french text not appearing correctly.
  • Fixed immovable objects jittering.
  • Fixed issue where characters would get stuck during cutscenes.
  • Fixed issue where scripted player movement would remain after a cutscene.
  • Fixed missing boss titles.
  • Steam join through overlay fixed.
  • Fixed Chapter 1 collision. (behind door)
  • Fixed Chapter 3 collision. (you can now fall down the well)
  • Fixed Chapter 7 cutscene lockups and other issues.
  • Fixed Chapter 8 cutscene lockup.
  • Fixed Chapter 8 navigation fixed.
  • Fixed Chapter 9 cutscene lockups.
  • Fixed Chapter 11 teleport issue.
  • Fixed Chapter 12 cutscene lockup.
  • Conflagration is now properly synced over network.

New features/balancing
  • Chapter 3 now has proper pirates by the picnic.
  • Chapter 8 now has manual exit at the end of level.
  • Fire Damage increased from 40 to 60.
  • Spawned summons now capped at 16 per player.
  • Goblin Pirate damage reduced from 155 to 72.
  • Added server list filter option for “Password”.
  • Removed obsolete port option of game hosting (always hosted on 27016 anyways).
  • Sever list sorting added (klick on the header).

Known Issues

• Self-shields sometimes get out of sync
  • Network uplink bandwidth, while improved, can be demanding
  • Steam attempts to install XNA framework every time game is launched or rare occasion
  • "Too fancy for fireballs" achievement is sometimes not awarded
  • Quitting the game while the credits are rolling will not award a game complete.
  • Mouse outside screen in full screen with multiple monitors will minimize the game.
Workaround

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Please follow these general steps and hopefully it'll help most of you.

Make sure you're on a computer that has sufficient juice - Magicka does not support Intel integrated graphic cards!

MINIMUM Requirements

• Operating system: Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7
  • Processor: Intel® Pentium® IV 2.4 GHz or AMD 3500+
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Hard disk space: 2 GB Available HDD Space
  • Video: NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon® X1900 equivalent
  • Direct X-compatible sound card
  • DirectX® 9
  • 3-button mouse, keyboard and speakers
  • Internet connection for multiplayer

We've seen that a bunch of players are reporting that the game is running poorly on their netbooks/laptops. This is because their computers don't have proper graphics cards. This is the primary reason why their game is acting up. Magicka does not support integrated graphic cards, especially INTEL ones!

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card. Visit www.nvidia.com or www.amd.com.

Make sure your have the following installed (should have autoinstalled)

• XNA Framework - google it to find the correct version for your operating system.
  • Microsoft .net framework 3.5 (dotNetFx35setup.exe) - (Link to Microsofts website)

We (devs and publisher) are still super committed to fix stuff that's broken and make sure you guys can have a great time with the game.

Additionally we've also have a bunch of improvements planned and will be patched in as soon as the major issues are out of the way! These are based directly off your input

Keep letting us know if there's anything else we can do!

Thanks again for playing and watch out for friendly fire!

/ Paradox & Arrowhead Team

Additional info can be found on:

Twitter: www.twitter.com/magickagame
The official Magicka Forum: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?496-Magicka
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Magickagame

Last edited:
Nice job on getting a good amount of bugs fixed and balance changes, hope this one fixes the flickering shadows that seem to occur on laptops with hybrid graphics and cannot update drivers via the graphics card developers respective websites.

I just wanted to point this out there. I made a thread about this morning for me But anyway, i think everyone would agree (when playing a lan game) that we should be able to join games in progress. This would help us in so many ways. The reason i think we should have this....for LAN anyway is because on chapter 9 about halfway through the level i crashed while my friends in the same room did not. being that we are not able to rejoin, we had to start all over, this happened multiple times...i think maybe three?. So please i beg of you guys to think about adding it in. Maybe in multilplayer as well i don't know. i would be happy even if you guys thought about it...just keep it on your thoughts and think of all the people it would make happy......Also great job on the Game! i think its fun and addicting, plus the spell casting is very unique i haven't found a game with such a fantastic spell casting system in a long time. (of course i copied and pasted this here...its a long suggestion.)

You will save yourself a lot of bad publicity.
For such things, there is a DEMO, for free. Install and look if your computer fits the requirements OR look at benchmarks (take 1 second in Google) to compare with the named graphic cards in the requirements.
Cost nothing, take less time, good results and done.

Also, I got this information - "Your graphics card needs to support shader model 3.0"

I do hate people whinning about their netbooks. Buying stuff without knowing their hardware?

While there is, obviously, a demo and certain system requirements for the game.

People do and will continue to buy the game expecting it to work on their systems.
And then get frustrated when it doesn't work.
And so blame the developers for not optimising correctly.

Whether this is fair or not is completely irrelevant, as people will still become upset, and as a result think poorly of the game.

Its quite fun to see people buying a game without first taking a look if they even can run it on their pc´s.
Make it a habit to always try the demo´s and/or atleast check computer specs.

Writing that the game does not support Integrated graphic would save some people a lot of trouble and also lowering the spam of people raging about it on forum.
But its up to the buyer to make sure he got a computer that can handle the game.

Magicka does not support integrated graphic cards, especially INTEL ones!

Please tell us why.
And is it something that will ever change?

Simply put, integrated graphics (typically the kind found in most laptops & all of the low-end dekstops) are generally VERY poor at any type of 3D graphics. You can't buy a $500 PC and expect it to run 3D games, because they're not meant for gaming. Easiest way this can be fixed is by installing an inexpensive after-market graphics card, you don't need to go all-out and shell out another $300-500 on the newest series.

My g/f had a laptop a few years ago, and even though it had some sort of an nVidia 7600 series mobile graphics processor, it could barely handle WoW at the lowest settings.

I bought the game with Steam, since it's Steam only I had to, and it doesn't run. First it did load... (2,3 seconds) And did nothing. Now it becomes a little black, goes back to background and then that repeats 2/3 times. My Error Report;
Version: 1.3.3.4
Thread: LoaderThread
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException: Error loading "UI\Font\MenuTitle". GraphicsDevice component not found.
bij Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.get_GraphicsDevice()
bij Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Texture2DReader.Read(ContentReader input, Texture2D existingInstance)
bij Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.InvokeReader[T](ContentTypeReader reader, Object existingInstance)
bij Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObjectInternal[T](Object existingInstance)
bij Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObject[T]()
bij PolygonHead.BitmapFont..ctor(ContentReader iInput)
bij PolygonHead.Pipeline.BitmapFontReader.Read(ContentReader iInput, BitmapFont existingInstance)
bij Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.InvokeReader[T](ContentTypeReader reader, Object existingInstance)
bij Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObjectInternal[T](Object existingInstance)
bij Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObject[T]()
bij Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadAsset[T]()
bij Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[T](String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject)
bij Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Load[T](String assetName)
bij Magicka.Graphics.FontManager..ctor()
bij Magicka.Graphics.FontManager.get_Instance()
bij Magicka.GameLogic.UI.MessageBox..ctor(String iMessage)
bij Magicka.GameLogic.UI.GamerCustomizeMessageBox..ctor()
bij Magicka.GameLogic.UI.GamerCustomizeMessageBox.get_Instance()
bij Magicka.Gamers.Gamer..ctor(String iGamerTag)
bij Magicka.GameLogic.Profile.Read()
bij Magicka.Game.LoaderFunction()

and sometimes I get this;
Version: 1.3.3.4
Thread: LoaderThread
System.ObjectDisposedException: Geen toegang tot een verwijderd object.
Objectnaam: GraphicsDevice.
bij Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Helpers.CheckDisposed(Object obj, IntPtr pComPtr)
bij Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.get_CreationParameters()
bij Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.VertexBuffer.CreateBuffer(UInt32 dwSize, UInt32 usage, _D3DPOOL pool)
bij Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.VertexBuffer..ctor(GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice, Int32 sizeInBytes, BufferUsage usage)
bij PolygonHead.Text..ctor(Int32 iLength, BitmapFont iFont, TextAlign iAlign, Boolean iDynamic, Boolean iUseFormatting)
bij PolygonHead.Text..ctor(Int32 iLength, BitmapFont iFont, TextAlign iAlign, Boolean iDynamic)
bij Magicka.GameLogic.UI.MessageBox..ctor(String iMessage)
bij Magicka.GameLogic.UI.GamerCustomizeMessageBox..ctor()
bij Magicka.GameLogic.UI.GamerCustomizeMessageBox.get_Instance()
bij Magicka.Gamers.Gamer..ctor(String iGamerTag)
bij Magicka.GameLogic.Profile.Read()
bij Magicka.Game.LoaderFunction()
(I'm sorry for the dutch in the errors. 'Geen toegang tot een verwijderd object' means 'No access to a deleted object', since I didn't delete anything I'm not pretty sure what it means).

I read this is probably Steam's fault (since I read Steam has a problem with XNA Framework). And I read you sent a big patch to Steam which may be a solution to this problem, I don't know...
I hope you can help me with this, I'll appreciate it. :)
P.S. It says I don't have enough GHz, I need 2.4 and I have 1.8. I'm playing the game on my laptop.

Last edited:
But its up to the buyer to make sure he got a computer that can handle the game.

Should have statements aren't helpful,
nor is your statement original or thoughtful.

The only way to know this game won't run on integrated graphics is to read that information here in the patch release, or play the game.

A friend bought me the game... and why should someone be expected to find the patch release forum topic?

Otherwise, explain to us how reading "NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon® X1900" allows you to understand that integrated graphics, less than a year old, won't even run the game.
I'd love to know the process.

Mattias,

It would be helpful to know what specifically the Intel integrated graphics is lacking.
Could Intel possibly supply an update that would allow support?

No, it's the hardware that is (severely) lacking. Sorry.

Shared Ram? I think thats the K.O. for your graphic card ...

Not really. I mean, yes, having shared RAM will have a MASSIVE performance impact. You can kinda compare it to hand delivering a piece of mail to your neighbor, or someone a thousand miles away. Sure..you can probably get it there fine, it's just going to take every 1 message a really really long time. The real issue with integrated graphics, is that they cut out a lot of the features in the full version, and theres no standards for what they cut out. Each company cuts out different stuff for each model to make things work. So, when people design a game based off the standards for a certain generation of video cards, the integrated version is missing a lot of that, and therefore won't work. It's like trying to play a DVD in a cdrom drive. They both use lasers to read the disc..but the CD drive doesn't have all the latest standards to read a DVD. There is nothing you can do with the data on the dvd to make it readable in the CD drive.

As for the argument of "explain to us how reading "NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon® X1900" allows you to understand that integrated graphics, less than a year old, won't even run the game.", simple: You don't have a geforce 8800 or ATI Radeon X1900, you have an INTEGRATED GeForce 8800 or Ati Radeon X1900 ( or equivalent or whatever ). It doesn't say integrated on it for no reason. It is important, and if you did not understand what exactly integrated entailed when you bought it...you really should have asked.

Honestly, what I recommend doing is selling the computer/laptop, and getting a proper computer. They are NOT anywhere near as expensive as people think if you shop around and watch what you're getting. Your best bet is indeed asking on gaming sites where people like me can point you in the right direction. First thing I and most anyone will tell you: If you don't know much about computers, and you recognize the name...stay clear. HP, Compaq, Dell...all bad. Stay away. ( These mass production companies frequently use proprietary parts that also remove various features in much the same way as integrated cards do, plus they load the computer with junk...and jack the price WAY up because of their name. )

Compare these 2:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147369
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227314

The HP has Integrated graphics, and as we learned that is completely worthless. The only other real difference is the HP does have more RAM...which is a dime a dozen. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311 $90 to replace the RAM in the iBuyPower rig to get 8 gigs. You will then have a set of RAM for backup in case the new RAM every takes a dump. Even after the new RAM, you're looking at $20 LESS and you are getting dedicated graphics over integrated ( and if you look at which ones they are, the dedicated is also a full generation ahead of the integrated one, and some change. )

Note: I haven't really looked around...those were the first 2 that popped up for Desktop PCs $500-$750, so it's likely there are better deals still yet. Also, if you look at the original prices, the HP was actually A LOT more expensive to start with. Finally: Building a PC from stock, you can save even more money...but the above linked rig will probably run even Crysis pretty well, for $560, and to date there is nothing even on the horizon for all of 2011 that will demand more from your computer than Crysis 1 ( Even Crysis 2 will demand less due to code optimizations and work to get it to run on xbox. )