Changelog (1.3.5.6) - 21th March

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Shams

Corporate Paladin
70 Badges
Nov 9, 2009
  • 500k Club
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Prison Architect
  • Rome Gold
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Lead and Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Impire
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • King Arthur II
Hi everyone,

We've got a new patch for you! It'll take care of Friday's patch that was...less than stellar... Again, we're terribly sorry for the inconvenience. We'll make it up to you...promise!

I can also tell you that we're putting a new patching/testing/verification procedure in place to avoid additional f-ups. We'll talk more about that in a future community update!

Did you guys see the screenshots we posted for Magicka: Vietnam? www.facebook.com/magickagame

So here's tonights changelog:

Changelist(1.3.5.6)-21th March
  • Another safety has been added to prevent gamer crash on startup.
  • Fixed item stuck in air bug.
  • Decreased camera shake to one third of its original strength. (player requested)
  • Fixed incorrect trailing glyph in menu leaderboards.
  • Fixed campaign chapter transition crash issue.
  • Game should no longer appear to be modded unless it is actually modded.
Known issues
  • Network uplink bandwidth, while improved, can be demanding.
  • Steam attempts to install XNA framework every time game is launched or rare occasion.
  • Characters can in rare cases fall through the level collision mesh, this is due to lag or poor framerate. Many general network improvements and general optimization will reduce this risk.
  • The game may appear to be stuttering even though framerate is good.
  • ATI 3870 series cards sometimes have a tendency to overheat and crash.

Questions? comments? love mail? Hate mail? sexually confused? stock tips? reach us here: www.twitter.com/magickagame We read all mentions and try to reply as often as we can.

Sincerely,

/Paradox & Arrowhead

Last edited:
I already posted this on the last update, but i guess i will do it again here. Sorry if this is not ok...

I have to comment on this update.

It's great that we now can get clean leaderboards. Great stuff indeed. However i think the way it is implemented is putting unnecessary restrictions on us modders.

What i am getting at is that if i make a level, like my program does, it does not load monsters that are not loaded in the original file, this makes it so that all online users can join and play. The way this "leaderboard protection" works is that if my file differs from anybody elses file, we get a missmatch error.

Why can't it be made so that if there is a missmatch, dont count the leaderboards, but still be able to play with each other? The missmatch is between original file and the custom file. That's whats important, not that there is a missmatch between each client's file. That does not really matter.

This patch makes me and JakeMeers random generators almost useless... The only thing that this is good for is the PvP tournaments, which already needs to be on all the joining computers.

I fear that this patch is more mod-un-friendly than many of us would like to think....

if possible i would like to get in contact with some of the developers to talk about what possibilities that would be nice and fun to have so that this game could be even more mod-friendly... c".)

The leader boards are for clean copies of the game.
They can't monitor every modification and judge whether or not it makes it easier or more difficult to play the challenge and to make a leaderboard for every mod is insane and a lot of boards would just have a handful of names on them.
Your modification may not take advantage of any loopholes but someone else might make one that doesn't spawn any extra monsters but starts everyone with all magicks or some other loophole way of making things easier.
Either modifications are all allowed on the leaderboards (which makes the leaderboards useless) or no modifications are allowed on the leaderboards.
It's way too costly in time / money to manually appraise and keep track of every mod that gets made.

To be honest though: do you really care about getting on the leaderboard? If it's that important then you need to stick within the leaderboard rules. If it's not that important then just have fun with whatever you're playing :)

The leader boards are for clean copies of the game.
They can't monitor every modification and judge whether or not it makes it easier or more difficult to play the challenge and to make a leaderboard for every mod is insane and a lot of boards would just have a handful of names on them.
Your modification may not take advantage of any loopholes but someone else might make one that doesn't spawn any extra monsters but starts everyone with all magicks or some other loophole way of making things easier.
Either modifications are all allowed on the leaderboards (which makes the leaderboards useless) or no modifications are allowed on the leaderboards.
It's way too costly in time / money to manually appraise and keep track of every mod that gets made.

To be honest though: do you really care about getting on the leaderboard? If it's that important then you need to stick within the leaderboard rules. If it's not that important then just have fun with whatever you're playing :)

You can seriously not say that you read my post........

I do NOT want them to make leaderboards for mods, i do NOT care to be on the leaderboard using mods... that is NOT what i wrote about at all....

What they did when they patched up the holes for the leaderboards was making it so that the mods does not work online without all the involved parties having the same custom content......

Did you really read my post? i am really amazed by the lack of understanding on your part...... quite shocked really....

Sorry. My misunderstanding. No need to get heated :)

I see what you're getting at now:
You want it to be possible for the host to host a mod without all parties (the clients) requiring that mod be installed, especially if nothing "new" is spawned (ie: only triggers and spawn timing changed and not any stats etc).
I agree with you 100%.
I also think there should be a way of naming the mods so that we can view what mod the host is hosting (so people don't join a game thinking it's a normal challenge and then get torn apart by some crazy hardcore mod).

Again. Sorry for not getting the gist of it first time around. I read your original post too hastily.

Sorry. My misunderstanding. No need to get heated :)

I see what you're getting at now:
You want it to be possible for the host to host a mod without all parties (the clients) requiring that mod be installed, especially if nothing "new" is spawned (ie: only triggers and spawn timing changed and not any stats etc).
I agree with you 100%.
I also think there should be a way of naming the mods so that we can view what mod the host is hosting (so people don't join a game thinking it's a normal challenge and then get torn apart by some crazy hardcore mod).

Again. Sorry for not getting the gist of it first time around. I read your original post too hastily.

It happens. I guess i felt attacked by your post. Anywho. We are apparently on the same page and agree, which is nice:)

In general it would also be very nice if the game creators released "modding info", so that we dont have to "test" if stuff is possible and find the loop holes ourselves... *hint hint*

I am sorry that your modification no longer works for you. I'm sure you are doing this because you are loving our game and want it to be harder. The fact is that to increase the security on the leader boards and the stability of the game, we have chosen the current security solution. It might change far off in the future, but not anytime soon.

I am sorry that your modification no longer works for you. I'm sure you are doing this because you are loving our game and want it to be harder. The fact is that to increase the security on the leader boards and the stability of the game, we have chosen the current security solution. It might change far off in the future, but not anytime soon.

Well.. i am very sad to hear that. I know for a fact that theres a lot of people who enjoyed it.

I guess that's partly the end of what i care to do with my modding then... it was a great game tho =)

Game crashes for me in adventure mode after defeating Assatur - presumably right when receiving the vortex magicka.
I know most people don't care for the adventure any more but perhaps it is of interest for new players.
Good job fixing 1.3.5.6 for wine users too, btw.

Code:
Version: 1.3.5.6
Thread: LogicThread
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Magicka.GameLogic.Spells.SpellManager.UnlockMagick(Player iPlayer, GameType iGameType, MagickType iMagick)
   at Magicka.Levels.Triggers.Actions.UnlockMagick.Execute()
   at Magicka.Levels.Triggers.Actions.Action.Update(Single iDeltaTime)
   at Magicka.Levels.Triggers.Trigger.Update(Single iDeltaTime)
   at Magicka.Levels.GameScene.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
   at Magicka.Levels.Level.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
   at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.PlayState.UpdateMiscB()
   at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.PlayState.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
   at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.GameStateManager.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
   at Magicka.Game.Update(Single iDeltaTime)
   at Magicka.Game.ThreadedUpdate()